Super PACs - suck

ll74

Your Best Friend
Joined
Aug 22, 2013
Posts
80,508
I truly am sick of super PACs and their ads. They consistently play the same ads over and over and typically (non partisanly) are all misinformation and/or lies.

When someone like Elon Musk (or swap out a generic billionaire) can invade a state they don't live in and bombard their airwaves with perfectly marketed messages that have no real policy significance to capture the stupid voters, it's gone awry

There's obviously no way to outlaw them, but how can the people on a state take back their airwaves with perspective from people who live there?

How about a law that voters in the state can be allowed equal time to dispute these ads so each ad would be cut in half and followed by another ad disputing it?

I admit...I haven't fully fleshed this out - but I think informed voters should be able to counter ads....specifically by super PAC who have a clear advantage.

Thoughts?
 
Montana’s ballot measure about the issue is promising.

Montana's ballot measure on political spending, explained

If passed, I-194 would say an artificial person – like a corporation or a labor union – “does not possess any legal capacity to expend money or anything of value to support or oppose the outcome of a vote of the electorate.” Any entity that doesn’t comply “forfeits all charter privileges.”

Sponsors argue the state has the authority to set what powers corporations have, so Montana can simply decide those powers don’t include spending in elections.
 
McCain-Feingold Act failed because of the SCOTUS interpretation of the 1 A.

IMHO the court got it wrong.
 
Do you disagree with ich that the court got it wrong or are you just being argumentative?

Nvm.....already obvious
Proven liars, idiots, and traitors don't get much consideration from me. Once you get caught lying, you and your opinion can fuck off.
 
Proven liars, idiots, and traitors don't get much consideration from me. Once you get caught lying, you and your opinion can fuck off.
So what's the answer to my question ?
Do you disagree with ich that the court got it wrong or are you just being argumentative?
The answer is the latter and you proved that.
 
I truly am sick of super PACs and their ads. They consistently play the same ads over and over and typically (non partisanly) are all misinformation and/or lies.

When someone like Elon Musk (or swap out a generic billionaire) can invade a state they don't live in and bombard their airwaves with perfectly marketed messages that have no real policy significance to capture the stupid voters, it's gone awry

There's obviously no way to outlaw them, but how can the people on a state take back their airwaves with perspective from people who live there?

How about a law that voters in the state can be allowed equal time to dispute these ads so each ad would be cut in half and followed by another ad disputing it?

I admit...I haven't fully fleshed this out - but I think informed voters should be able to counter ads....specifically by super PAC who have a clear advantage.

Thoughts?
If a third party is paying for an attack ad, there should be a rule that the target of that attack ad can respond using the fairness doctrine free of charge immediately after the attack ad. That way the media companies have a financial stake in this mess. And some semblance of balance is restored.
 
If a third party is paying for an attack ad, there should be a rule that the target of that attack ad can respond using the fairness doctrine free of charge immediately after the attack ad. That way the media companies have a financial stake in this mess. And some semblance of balance is restored.
I had a similar thought here, but that would require a for profit private company to eat cost.
 
If a third party is paying for an attack ad, there should be a rule that the target of that attack ad can respond using the fairness doctrine free of charge immediately after the attack ad. That way the media companies have a financial stake in this mess. And some semblance of balance is restored.
This would be ideal if it wouldn't just end up in mindless litigation because no one would accept responsibility.
 
Posting what you did is celebrating?

Beat. Did you put a W on your scoreboard for today or are you needing to do more work?
Do you really think that just because I don't engage in every inane topic and respond to every dipshit that I don't know or don't care?

And at least attempt to spell shit correctly and not fat finger every fucking post. It's like trying to read Chinese braille with you.
 
Do you really think that just because I don't engage in every inane topic and respond to every dipshit that I don't know or don't care?
I don't think that.

And at least attempt to spell shit correctly and not fat finger every fucking post. It's like trying to read Chinese braille with you.
Absolutely good immediate reinforcement there👍

"I'm interested in the policy discussionost of all. Also, you used a semi colon when you should have used a comma! WTH??"
 
Last edited:
I think it is worth the court test. Nobody is stopping the ads. But with the ads comes the chance for a free response.
Im going to argue this again - there is no such thing as a "free response". Airtime costs money and someone pays for that...so you need to refine your position...who eats that cost?
 
I don't think that.


Absolutely good immediate reinforcement there

"I'm interested in the policy discussionost of all. Also, you used a semi colon when you should have used a comma! WTH??"
You didn't respond to my 2 posts on your topic. Enjoy your hypocrisy.
 
Back
Top