"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

I watched Derry as she left, turned to find that Cramer had went his way as well. Looked down at myself and headed for the storage. Luckily we got the hunting clothes drom that shop, meant I could get some clothing there. From the box I drew cargo pants, a t-shirt and shirt, all of course in a hunting camo. A brief hunt brought out a shower gel/shampoo and a sponge. I caught a glimpse of Cramer as he came from the shower area, then headed there myself.

After a shower and a fresh set of clothes I felt much better, less tired to be honest, but I knew that I needed the rest. I returned to the storage area where I was busy, but found that my bedding was wet, only dry thing available was my sleeping bag. I shrugged and went to go hunt a softer-than-floor area to crash.

Ria
Very early morning

The window was secured quickly enough, and Martin, Dan and I headed over to the one Vince and TD were guarding.

For a while no-one had brought zombies to throw out they said, so we quickly boarded this window up as good as we could.

At least that was what we wanted, but Cassandra storming past us and running out off the door left us frozen for a moment. Vince was the first to react, he ran after her, opened the door cautiously and slipped out, telling us to stay inside.

The four of us huddled at the door, until TD pointed to the window.

"Board it up, I'll stay here," his voice was bitter. "I hope Vince catches her. Has she gone mad? So quickly? She wasn't wounded, was she?"

Other people had joined us, some with brooms and mops in there hands.

"I don't know," I shook my head. "She looked fine to me when I saw her on the landing. I was standing at the foot of the stairs though, and the light wasn't the best yet. She said she was fine ..."

Faintly we heard a motor roaring up and even more alarmed we looked at each other.

"The window ..." TD nodded his head towards it. "Please secure it ..."

I stroked his arm.

"You are right. Okay folks, lets get on with what we were doing, we will know what happened as soon as Vince gets back."

After a little while TD looked alarmed and waved his arm at us.

"Someone is knocking at the door!" he hissed before he opened it and to our relief Vince came in.

"She got into a car," he reported. "I will make a round. See if I can find Abe, and check with him who is where and how they are."

"Right. I'll go to the sickbay. Check on Lee, John and whoever else is there. You catch up with me there? Dan, could you and Martin do something about this door? The lock doesn't function."

With weary feet I padded through the length of the Knight, over dry patches of floor and through water puddles, as I neared the sickbay I didn't hear anything. No voices at all. Clutching my machete harder I opened the door.

Instead of the feasting zombies I had expected to see, I saw Lee bend over a table with John spread out on it. Daniel was holding John's torso down, and Mrs. Asthuli held his arm outstretched and immobile as Lee was working on it. An as wearied expression on his face as I felt Lee looked up at me.

"I had to cut away some flesh to tie a knot around the ends of the biggest veins. It stopped most of the bleeding but lots of muscle, nerves and sinew tissue are gone. If the blood-flow to his hand isn't sufficient enough I might have to take his arm off later. I also might have to take it off if the wounds don't heal. Not much I can't do about the missing mass of muscle, sinews and nerves. He won't be able to use his hand much if he can move it at all. I am no fucking surgeon. All I can do is to try to save his arm now. I had to sew a few other wounds before I could get back to him. Skip will have some interesting scars on his leg, as will Andrea on her left arm and Carla on her right calf. They are fine enough."

He nodded towards the room Daniel, Peter and Martin had shared and lowered his head again and pulled on strings in John's arm, bringing the edges of the wounds as close together as he could. I stroke John's leg and went to look at Skip, Carla and Andrea. The were lying on one bed, covered by a thin blanket.

All three had drips in their arms.

"Luckily Lee had piled all the bedding he had here on the spare bed," Skip told me. "We have to get off of it as soon as he is done with John though. And Lee only allowed me to pull the spare bedding off of it when the mrs had cleaned the floor in here. I hadn't much time to enjoy the bed before he put Carla in with me. And then Andrea at my other side ..."

Skip was lying on his back, the girls snuggled up to him on their sides. I smiled. Then chuckled. The three faces in front of me had been smiling at me all the time, Andrea's up from Skip's left arm, Carla from his right.

"I don't know where everyone is going to sleep...everything is soaked through and through.'' Norah finally looks up at me with big sad doe eyes ''We'll think of something Cramer.'' reaching up she strokes my face gently. ''Guess there's the leather couches in the library, dry em off and get blankets from the dry closets?''

She smiles slightly and slowly nods her pretty head, she looked so tired but not completely exhausting as I. ''You need to get some sleep yourself young lady...grumpy Doc Lee won't let you stay with John.'' With a sigh tears well up in Norah's eyes, leaning my head down I place a tender kiss on her forehead.

Letting my left arm slip from around Norah's waist, raising both hands to dry her tears with my thumbs'' Her eyes remain closed as she lifts her chin for a kiss, I can't help but kiss her lips for a short moment. ''C'mon...lets get you a place the sleep ok? She nods as we head to the dry closets to get two blankets, climbing the stairs up to the library floor.

Opening the door flipping on just one light, stepping inside we find two couches that isn't too wet. I wipe one down with a scarf someone left behind, Norah makes a pallet of one of the blankets. ''I'll take the one over there ok? She looks at me with a frown in a don't you dare way, I didn't argue just stretched myself out on the couch. Immediately Norah joins me to snuggle up closely, pulling the extra blanket up over us we both fell asleep quickly.

As I made my way back to my room, I started to really notice the damage, everywhere I looked, water was soaking everything. I shook my head thinking, (What a mess, how are we going to get everything cleaned up and looking like it did?) I sighed as I reached my room, that is when I noticed that there was no water on the floor, (I guess the sprinkler to my room malfunctioned...lucky me!) Closing the door I pulled my T-shirt off and laid it beside my bedroll, next came my tight pants, putting them beside my shirt with a sigh I got under the blanket.

Closing my eyes I tried to relax....but no way, I couldn't help but think about all that had happened, I came close to dying today. My thoughts then turned to Deacon, wondering how he was and if he had a dry place to sleep. Suddenly I made up my mind, throwing the blanket off, I got up and quickly dressed again. I was going to find him and haul his ass back here, he looked like he needed a good rest. As least my room was dry, I left it closing the door behind me quickly making my way down the staircase, trying to be as quiet as possible while looking around.

About 20 minutes later I found him...in one of the dryer areas wrapped in a sleeping bag on some chairs he had pulled together. I looked down at him for a few minutes, smiling to myself wondering, (How on earth can you sleep like that?) I finally bent down and touched his shoulder quietly speaking so I didn't startle him,

"Deacon....Deacon it's me Derry...I was wondering if you wanted to come to my room?" I hesitated for a few seconds before continuing, " The sprinkler in my room malfunctioned and it's dry in there. You certainly would be more comfortable there ....then in here like this!"

I couldn't help but chuckle slightly at this point adding,

"Come on...I won't bite you I promise."

I waited to see what he would say.

Last edited:
After finding an area where the grouind didn't squelch underfoot, I looked around and the only padded area I could find was on the chairs. I didn't have much of a choice, I shifted the chairs into position and laid down, working my sleeping bag into a covering. I had barely drifted off when footsteps stopped next to me, then a touch on my shoulder brought me wide awake.

Looking up to find Derry I couldn't think of a better way to wake up. But her offer was even better and I smiled up at her. Why did she bring out the smile in me so easily? I sat up and stretched, stifling a yawn,

"What if I want you to bite? Will you do that if I ask nicely?"

I gave her a small grin and got to my feet, stifling another yawn,

"Lead on."

I followed her as she lead the way to her bedroom, the library was a mess. I hope that Cramer had killed or at least hurt the little fuck who did this badly enough for him to suffer. Once in Derry's room I noticed that the only soft area available was her bed. I blinked at it and then at her,

"It's lucky that your sprinkler did malfunction."

I motioned to her bed,

"So we will be sharing?"

I drove past a storage location and a lumberyard … and there was National Guard Armory. Nothing was going on. There was no one around. It was kind of creepy. The main gates to the facility were huge and made of iron. No way I could get through that. However, around to the sides …. Was a simple chain link fence. There was barbed wire over the top … but the fence was nothing fancy. I slowly turned around and headed over to the lumberyard next door. I parked my mustang and got out. Moving slowly. There was a forklift sitting in the yard, battery operated! I did not get why it was battery operated at first … most forklifts were gas powered. But then I realized the forklift needed to operate inside the large lumber building where lots of wood was stored. You did not want to choke on gas flumes when inside this warehouse. Anyhow, I got on and started it … completely silent. I drove it over to the Armory fence … one “push” from the forklift and the fence was breached lying on its side.

I pull the barbed wire out of the way and returned to my car. I got the strong tire iron out of the back. My only weapon … and got back into the car … I drove into the armory. There were military vehicle everywhere. LOTS of Humvee but almost all of them were painted desert sand color. In Oregon … that did not seem the right color. I found a few green ones way in the back … I liked that color better … but that is when I found the tank!

The guys later told me it was not a tank … but a Bradley fighting vehicle. Or Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV). Anyhow, I thought if I brought this back to the library … it would make up for all the damage I caused. It was a silly thought but at the time … it seemed like a great idea.

I got out of my car and went over to the tank. The top hatch was locked closed with a small pad lock. I took the tire iron and placed it in between the lock and the hatch locking device. A few twist and pushes and the small lock busted off. I pulled open the hatch (SUPER heavy by the way!) and climbed in.

I learned something I did not know that night. Tanks or AFVs don’t need keys … neither did any of the Humvees i saw. You can almost start them with a push of a button. Made sense … in combat you did not want soldiers wondering who had the keys! There was some nice instruction inside the vehicle to start it. I read them carefully.

1. Check power unit access panels.
2. Adjust brake pedal to desired height.
3. Fasten lap safety belt.
4. Put on and plug in CVC helmet. (I did not have one … so blew this off)
5. Check that FIRE SUPPRESSION switch is in AUTO.
6. Move MASTER POWER switch to ON.
7. Move ENGINE ACCESSORY switch to ON.
8. Check driver's instrument panel.
9. Turn on fuel control.
10. Sound horn. (WHAT WHY? I did it anyhow.)
11. Move gear selector to START and hold until engine starts.
12. Check driver's instrument panel.
13. Release hand brake.

From the horn sounding … I could hear zombies near my tank. But I did not care … no way they could get in … and as I pushed the yoke forward … I just crushed them. “HEE HEE” I said as I headed back toward the library. Rumbling down the street feeling pretty unstoppable!

Ria
Still early morning ...

I sat down on the dry floor, the cold stone against my buttocks made me cringe but it soon warmed.
We chatted a bit but mostly we listened to what was happening in the bigger room where Lee was working on John.

"He still is not cursing," Carla sighed once. "It really must be serious and he must be concentrating hard ..." My heart skipped a beat. I realized Lee was doing things he wasn't trained for. Things he had seen a surgeon do at one time maybe, or things he had read about. I wondered if I should have called Bart, and the old doc. I sighed. It was too late for that now. We simply had to hope Lee had success.

I couldn't sit still anymore. The bedding Skip had drawn from the bed was lying in a heap on the floor and I started to check it. One mattress and most blankets were pretty soaked, but two were only moist around the edges. I laid them out, told the three on the bed I would check if there were dry bedsheets in the store, I was afraid most would be gone, I had seen Robert and Amy walk out off it lugging what seemed very heavy plastic sacks; they must have raided it to get the children something dry to lie on.

"It might be we have to take turns sleeping until the beds are dry. All the things Max and Scotty washed and hung on the third floor to dry will be soaking wet again ... Has anyone of you seen Max?"

They shook their heads. Carla sighed, closed her eyes a moment.

"It was as bad as when Dan and I were on the roof of the party van." She was quiet a few seconds before she opened her mouth again. "I was still in the pantry. Making lists to tack to each shelf. You know, listing what and how many spices on this shelf, how many cans of pineapple on that, things like that when it suddenly got dark. Nana started to bark, Max screamed there were zombies inside. I grabbed a kitchen knife. And waited. I was thinking of going to your room, and peered into the dark. I heard fighting. And then one was on me. I managed to stab it, but it threw me down and started to bite me in my lower leg. I kicked it. A few times. And then I heard something snap when I kicked it again. It stopped biting me. I couldn't move. Blood was running down from my leg. I heard someone fighting to my right, then after a while, footsteps passed by me. Then a loud bang, and the sprinklers started. That brought me to my senses. I dragged myself to your room, Ria. I hid in there until I heard people talk."

"I was with John and Thomas," Skip said. "Until you came. Then we were together until Lee and Daniel helped me and John to our room ... We stayed there until Cramer came looking for Norah. I haven't seen Max at all."

"Neither have I." Andrea said. "I was in the guards room on the ground floor with Paul and Scotty and TD. We woke up when Max screamed. Grabbed our knives and hockey sticks and killed three or four zombies, then the fire started the sprinklers, something exploded, and we kind of saw Vince fighting zombies. We headed over to him then to help him. Cramer was shooting ... And later Deacon fought the last zombies like a madman. Alone, until you and Lee and Thomas and Daniel helped him. Vince kept us back, told me and Paul to check on the doors, he sent TD to the broken window."

I nodded.

"I hope Max has done the sensible thing and hid himself in the basement. Vince will tell us when he is done with the round." I put the wettest mattress upright against the wall, draped some blankets over it. They wouldn't really dry, but the water would seep out a bit at least. I was worried about Cassandra. What had gotten into her to run away like that? I hoped she was okay. I hoped Max was okay.

Before dawn a nightmare began with me running for my life, everyone in the Knight was a zombie now. With nowhere left to run the Knight zombies closed in, my back to the front fire doors and dragged down. My arms around Norah the blanket clenched in my fists, screams in my dream came out as strangled cries. Norah was frightened awake by these sounds, she sat up to shake me awake but I was too exhausted to.

She calls my name repeatedly until becoming frantic, caressing my face and head as she whispers in my ear. Somewhere deep down in my subconscious I heard Norah's voice, it soothed me enough till I was calm. Norah wept silently as she kissed my forehead, laying down wrapping her arms around me to just hold. Being tired herself she eventually fell asleep, not easing her tight hold least I slip back into a nightmare.

Around four hours later I roused just enough to cover Norah, cuddling her protectively close drifting off. Breathing deep and evenly, we slept quietly in one another's arms, safe from all harm for now anyway. Deacon was right tomorrow is another day, it meant we had survived another day to live and heal more. In Norah I had someone to take care of and her brother too, I'd do it or die trying that's for damn sure.

The dream I drifted into this time was peaceful, my wife Kaitlyn carried our baby boy swaddled in her arms. She stood in meadow of wildflowers surrounded by a soft glow, she smiles showing me my boy with a loving caress of my cheek. ''You don't have to worry baby we're fine...you have people to help now.'' She puts our son in my arms with a smile, placing her hand over my heart she kisses me softly. ''We are right here here in your heart forever Cramer...you'll have another chance at love someday just accept it when it comes.''

Kissing my son on the forehead before placing him carefully in Kaitlyn's arms once again. The distance between us seems to slowly grow, she waves our sons tiny hand with a beautiful smile. ''Bye my love.'' I walked down a path that lead to a Hotel I've never seen before, but it felt I belonged there my dream it ends then. Not until noon would we wakeup again, as Norah awoke so did I with a grin. ''Goodmorning.'' she said as she kisses me on the cheek softly ''Mornin...time to get up already? she smiles and nods ''It's 9:00 am.''

Norah gets up wrapping the blanket around her, Getting up after she does leaving the blanket behind. We go to check on John's progress during the night, I wait outside in the hall as Doc Lee kept the door closed. Later Norah told my everything Doc said to her, I give her a hug which she returns. ''He's a very strong young man alright.'' She nods drying her eyes and takes my hand ''Yeah he is...I need coffee.'' It was my turn to nod in agreement. ''Yeah me too...and some breakfast.'' So that's what we went to do.

Last edited:
As Norah and Cramer went to go get coffee they heard a strange noise outside. It sounded like a bulldozer … Ria and those with her also heard the noise. One of the roof guards, Dan, came bounding down the stairs two at a time. Whispering to those awake … “there’s an APC rolling up to the library.”

“A what?” Peter asked

“An Armored Personnel Carrier” Max answered as he came up from the basement “You never forget the sound of a tracked vehicle… I think we might be getting rescued by the Army!”

“Open the fire doors” Peter directed.

Cassandra inside the Bradley

I could see the dim light from inside library as the fire doors were opened. I had looked through the driver’s viewports and did not see any zombies near me. But I still did not want to get out … until I knew the fire doors were open. I unlocked and pushed open the driver’s hatch. No zombies nearby. “Good” I thought and climbed out.

I still had my tire iron weapon … but there was nothing near the vehicle. I slipped off the front end and walked quickly but quietly to the Knight’s front door and inside the library. I was greeted by Peter and a few others like Max, Dan, Norah, Cramer, Ria … everyone was speaking at once …asking where I had been and where did I find a APC … etc.

The front door closed behind me and I said weakly “Hi everyone ... I kind of lost it … after I destroyed the library … I’m so very sorry about that.”

Peter corrected me “Cassandra … you prevent the zombies from getting to the second floor and woke everyone up with the explosion. There may have been a less destructive way to do that … but with 50 zombies running around no one is blaming you. We can rebuilt this place … we can’t rebuild the people. Stop blaming yourself over what happen. Whoever, let all those zombies in here is at fault … NOT YOU.”

“Thanks …” I said to Peter “I went to go find the Army ... i just wanted this nightmare to end ... so I went to the National Guard Armory about 10 blocks from here. It is a really creepy place. No one was around so I broke in … and grab a tank. I thought it might be useful.

“It not really a tank … it’s a Bradley fighting vehicle. Good thing is it will not tear up the roads like a real tank and it is just as deadly to zombies as a tank.” Max explained.

“Oh” I said “well, the bad news is … I don’t think the Army is coming to save us. No one was at the Armory … and I saw no activity either.”

''There's an National Guard Armory they should be weapons too...we have to go back and check it out ya'll.'' I thought it was a logical thing to do with the farm mission, we needed weapons to really protect ourselves. ''Glad you came back to us Cassie...got a big enough bang for your buck with that APC Darlin?''

Walking over I hug Cassie to prove I'm very glad she's ok, Norah hugs her with me with a giggle. ''Well I'm glad you're back too Cassie.'' With a big grin I say jokingly ''No it's APC commander Cassie after all this!'' Everyone gets a big kick out of that ''Commander Cassie and the double D Knight Brigade actually'' Cassie returns the hug with an awkward little smile.

I needed coffee and something preferably hot to eat, fortunately a tea kettle sitting nearby. Finding instant cheese flavored grits, fetching two mugs of coffee giving Norah one. I fetch two bowls open tree packets of grits, emptying them into the two empty bowls. And get a bottled water pouring enough for the grits, stepping to the fridge for bacon and eggs.

I take a skillet placing it on the burner, putting in four strips of bacon on one side, cracking two eggs on the other. Lastly placing the kettle on the burner it would be whistling, soon it was going to do just that loudly. Removing it from the burner the whistling fades quickly, I pour the boiling water into the instant grits. Taking a spoon to stir the grits till they thicken, the bacon is crispy with the eggs half done I break the yolk. As the Eggs finish cooking the bacons removed, crumbling it into the grits as the eggs were done.

Slicing what I call flat eggs up they're added to the grits, stirring the mixture up thoroughly it's now ready to eat. A little table sat in the corner that's where I went, taking a seat Norah joins me with the coffee. ''Trust me...you'll like it Darlin.'' Digging into our breakfast Norah smiles. ''It is good!''

Last edited:
I waited for Deacon to wake up, wondering how on earth he could sleep like that. He soon opened his eyes giving me a warm smile. I enjoyed watching him sit up and stretching those muscles of his, my heart beating faster at his reply;

"What if I want you to bite? Will you do that if I ask nicely?"

Grinning at his.

"Lead on."

I took one of his blankets while he put the rest of his things under his arm. As we walked back to my room, I felt a little nervous, Deacon was such a great guy, I shook myself mentally, (Well if we are to become a couple, then it's mean to be, just don't be so nervous.) Once we got to the doorway I quickly walked in turning towards Deacon with a smile. He walked in looking around before saying,

"It's lucky that your sprinkler did malfunction."

I nodded my head,

"Yes as we couldn't help but notice, there are not a lot of dry areas in this library now."

He motioned towards my bed with a small smile replying,

"So we will be sharing?"

I couldn't help but laugh,

"Yes looks like we are sharing."

I went over to the light switch, turned it off and in the soft moonlight walked over to my bed, shedding my top as I went. Once at the edge I quickly slid my pants and boots off and got under the blankets, settling myself onto my side I now waited for Deacon adding,

"We can just cuddle if you want....or..."

Deacon

I watched Derry as she got ready for bed and lay down,

"I thought that was why you came to fetch me in the first place."

I placed my sleeping bag over a chair and slipped out of my t-shirt and pants,

"To cuddle for some body heat."

I chuckled and slipped into bed next to her, there was a rumble from outside and I knew instantly that it was a huge vehicle. There followed voices and Cassandra's name filtered through the door. I looked at Derry,

"Seems like Cassandra came back with something bigger than her car."

I stiffled a yawn,

"I would like to know what happened...but I am NOT getting up again."

I laid my head onto the cushion and looked at Derry, curious as to what she would do.

Ria

I really should stop worrying about Cassandra. She has nine lives like a cat, and the luck to land on her feet almost always like cats do also, so that they don't need to give up one of their lives.

A Bradley fighting vehicle. She visited a National Guard Armory just because she felt they should do some rescuing and since the only living beings around where zombies she simply boarded a tank and came back with it.

"You think it is bad news there was no activity at the armory, Cassandra?" I chuckled. "I think that is good news. I think we should get more of these armored vehicles. In fact I think we should move to the armory!"

Some people around me looked alarmed, someone touched my brow from behind, announced in a stage whisper I didn't feel hot yet.

"No! I am not napoleonizing already! Calm down people. Tonight something awful happened, we won't be done with the aftermath for quite a while, it all only could happen because this building is big, we can't guard all the entrances, the windows are invitations to enter us. You know protecting those somehow was on my to do list since we started to talk about living here for real. We need to move to a place build to protect the people inside. Like that government building on the 8th Avenue we passed on our way back from the Pancake House. Advantages: the glass fronts will be made of some kind of security glass, it has fewer entrances, it has no close neighbors like the Knight has. Biggest disadvantage: there will be only offices inside. Smaller rooms than most rooms here, but no bedrooms, no living rooms etc. That would be a disadvantage of the armory too: big rooms, offices, lots of garages."

I looked at the people around me. Noted the disheveled state they were in. None of them looked much better than I did. All were wearing nightclothes, torn and wet, almost all looked worn out, many had scratches like I had.

"What we really need is a hotel designed for the upper-ten. A hotel on the countryside, or on the outskirts of the town. With a park around it. With fences around it to keep us lower-class people away. A hotel build to grant the guests the utmost privacy. It would have many guest rooms, suites, a big kitchen, dinner room, maybe a ballroom, a fitnessroom, a swimming pool, we would have bedrooms that are bedrooms, a restaurant to eat in, a place where we could have meetings, an other place where we could party ... We should check which PCs are still functioning and do some research. We really should find ourselves a safe place to relocate to as soon as all are healthy again ..."

Last edited:
As I got into bed I heard Deacon say,

"I thought that was why you came to fetch me in the first place."

Looking up at him I couldn't help but lift my eyebrow, wondering where that comment was leading to. Pulling the blanket up I wait, grinning all the while as Deacon slips into bed with me, ...then couldn't help but burst out laughing when he added,

"To cuddle for some body heat."

Lowering the blanket over him, my hand slides over his bare chest, I make a small sound as I whisper,

"Do you think I just want your body heat?"

Before he has a chance to answer, there is a loud rumble outside, we both turn our heads at the same time listening. After a minute it stopped, Deacon turned back to me commenting,

"Seems like Cassandra came back with something bigger than her car."

He yawns and adds,

"I would like to know what happened...but I am NOT getting up again."

Nodding my head, I agree and whisper,

"Now where were we?.....oh yes....you didn't answer my question."

I looked at Derry,

"If you only want my body heat?"

I shrugged slightly,

"The fact that you came downstairs to find me to come share your bed indicates otherwise."

I reached up and ran my fingers over her hair, it was an intimate move, but I doubt that we could have gotten into an even more intimate moment just about then.

"I don't think you would have come for me if you only needed some heat."

I watched as Deacon's fingers ran over my hair ending at the hollow of my throat. I slowly looked into his eyes, smiling slightly. Bringing my hand up to his shoulder I lightly touch him with my fingertips, running them along it until I reach his jawline. Shivering slightly from his touch I reply,

"Your right I want more from you then just body heat....so much more. I want more then this night Deacon, I want many more nights. I hope you want the same....but if not...in these hard times I will take what I can. I think tonight was a wake up call, I want more then to just survive, I want to live, to have someone special to make memories with. Because we don't know how long we have, if it's to be a short time, I want it to mean something. Do you understand what I mean? "

I lean over now and place my lips on his jaw..kissing him as light as a feather, before moving to the corner of his lips, this time kissing him with a bit more pressure. My hand moved to his chest, making slow circles on his hard muscles. I blew on his lips before sliding my lips across them pressing them full on his. I could feel my heart beats quickening as did my breathing.

Shifting my body so I could feel all of his body against mine, I lifted my lips off enough so I could look into Deacon's eyes to see if he was feeling the same as I was. I wanted to see in his eyes that this was more then a quick romp in the hay.

The soft, gentle kiss was more than I have ever experienced in my life, sure there were some girls after school, before the accident, but never did one kiss me like this, even her touch seemed...more. As she drew away slightly I missed the feel of her lips on mine, I looked up at her, since I saw her the first time she had stood out and now here they were, after a long day, in what many things had happened and I have come to realize just how much I care for her, how far she had crept into my heart in just one day.

"I understand exactly what you mean."

I gave her a slight smile,

"You have no idea what it means to me to have somebody say that they wish to be with me. The fact that you are saying that means even more to me."

I reached up traced my fingers over her cheek,

"You have captured my heart Derry, I know it's only been a day, but at this moment, it is yours and I come with that packet."

Cassandra has a thing about Rambo ... who knew?

I really don’t want to let the cat out of the bag … but the zombie attack on the library that night changed a lot of things … to include where people were going to live … their relationships and their attitudes. But you will find all this out soon enough …

I know the attack and what happened afterwards really did change me. But I would not know it until the morning. For now … I again looked around the library and saw all the wet people trying to stay warm … it was uncomfortable to look at … And as I stated before … there were zombie parts and pieces stuck on the walls and floors … the place was a mess. But, I or we, could not clean up the place at night … So I found a corner on the 2nd floor, wrapped up in a blanket and went to sleep.

I had a dream … In the dream I was wearing this black leather outfit with a denim jacket … it was super sexy but not functional. I was in the desert driving an old Shelby race car. I stopped near an old farm house/winery. It was abandoned and in bad shape.

http://autosfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/exotic-babe-with-shelby-2.jpg

I got out and grabbed a huge pump action shotgun. I started to look around. Suddenly, there was groaning … and I saw zombies coming at me from all over the place. Now here is the weird part … Instead of using the gun … I coolly reached into the car and grabbed my hat. It was a cowboy hat and put it on my head. I was not scared … I was confident and totally in control of the situation.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eZsVgEo7L...girl-actiongirls-girls-with-guns-2-722606.jpg

Then I started firing … taking out zombie after zombie … all head shots …it got dark and lightening came out of nowhere. The lightening caught the building on fire … it burned with strange purple flames … I killed all the zombies and calmly got back into the car and drove off. That is when I woke up. Sun light was streaming in through the library windows.

I got up and remembered the dream … and how confident I was … I made a decision right there and then … I wanted to be that girl … the one in my dreams. I wanted to change from Cassandra, stripper college student … to gun toting female “Rambo” zombie killing machine!!

I walked over to the coffee pot and took a cup. Peter was up and starting to organize the cleanup. I walked over to him.

“Peter … I’m going to be able to help in a minute … but I need to tell you something … Norah and Cramer had an idea last night about going back to the armory … to gather some more items. I’d like to go on that mission. I know the layout and my car is still there. I’d like to bring the car back. I’d also like to pick up a few items at the armory.” I told him

Peter looked at me “Sure … that makes total sense to me … you are a logical member of that gathering team. Let’s get the place cleaned up first however.” He suggested.

“SURE” I said with a big smile on my face. Peter had no idea why I was so happy … but my dream of becoming a female Rambo … was one step closer to becoming real!

I watched Deacon's slight smile, he seemed so shy, it made me want to kiss him again, but then he started to speak,

"You have no idea what it means to me to have somebody say that they wish to be with me. The fact that you are saying that means even more to me."

As I listened my heart melted, he reached over and ran his fingers over my cheek.

"You have captured my heart Derry, I know it's only been a day, but at this moment, it is yours and I come with that packet."

That was what I was wanting to hear...needed to hear. I smiled looking deeply into his eyes,

"And you have touched my heart Deacon, I know its seems too fast, but I feel deep down that it's right, so let's not question it. Just kiss me now!"

I leaned back waiting for the touch of his lips on mine...and more, for his hands to make my body come alive. I had never felt like this with any other man, it was frightening, but wonderful at the same time. I whispered,

"We don't know what will happen tomorrow or any of the days ahead, but for now..tonight I just want to make love to you...with you....oh you know what I mean!"

I was surprised at how nervous I was feeling at that moment, I had never been very good at letting my feelings out. I waited for Deacon to touch me.

Scotty

Two days after the attack ...

"Meeting at 16.00," Peter told me in passing. I couldn't say anything or nod because I used my chin to keep the load of clothes I had in my arms stable, I just growled something.

"Are this the last clothes?" Peter asked. "Oh. I see," he then said when I rolled my eyes. Peter climbed the stairs I was just coming down, and I heard him talking to someone else while I tried to get a better grab on the stuff in my arms. I nearly made it to the tables on the ground floor where Ms Asthuli, Edna and some others were sorting and folding the clothes.

Edna thanked me and pointed to a pile on an other table, "These are only moist."

"Well, they will stay moist a bit longer, all the shitty lines on the roof are full." I walked away with a pile of folded bedsheets. Our luck it had started to rain on the morning after the attack. Max made me stuff clothes in the dryer until it blew up. A whole load of clothes was gone, and the damm sprinklers had started again ...

At least I had been able to get some food. I had it hidden in a waterproof rucksack. This place was shit and I wouldn't stay here much longer.

Ria

Meeting

Chaos. It had been chaos for two whole days now. After the attack some people had started to mop the floors, others had found a dry spot to sleep. Others were wounded, some had only scratches like I had, but some like John, were in a bad state.

In the morning Peter had tried to organize the cleaning but since some were dead tired by then and others just getting up, that wasn't an easy task. In the end he got it sorted somehow, he and Cassandra directed the tired ones to dry beds others just had came out off and brought a bit of a system to the mopping.

Luckily most shelfs were wide enough the books on them hadn't 'caught' much water. The whole place was so wet though I was afraid we would get mold. We just had finished most of the floors when in the late afternoon the sprinklers started again. Not for very long since Max had shut them, but everything was wet again.

At least now most of the yuck had been cleaned away and the sun was drying the mattresses we had hauled up to the roof.

"How are you?" Lola asked me.

"Fine. I am fine, just stop asking!" I snapped. "Sorry, but I am so tired of people asking me every two minutes how I am!"

"Well, you, Deacon and Cramer are the only ones with scratches who aren't acting weird or have a fever already, so ..."

Sighing I thought of Vince rambling about some criminals he would kill as soon as he laid hands on them, Carla telling everyone who wanted to listen she was going to win the next American Idols, Andrea who had to be tied to the bed because she kept using Jujutsu on everyone who told or did something she didn't like, and these were only the few acting really weird. They had no fever though. Some others had a high fever. Some had a light fever and acted more or less paranoid, it was impossible really to tell who was affected in what manner.

"I know Lola. I know. Believe me, nobody is watching and questioning my actions and thoughts as thoroughly as I do. Every time I talk with someone about something I see their minds weighing my every word and I do so too. But I am me. I still am me. Lets get to the meeting, shall we?"

Not long after four o'clock all who were able to were assembled in the meeting room. Including the kids, it was only half of the Knights. The others were or ill, or taking care of the ill.

Peter told us the food was okay, promised us a real meal for dinner. I whooped as hard as the others, two days living of bars and peanut butter biscuits was enough.

"I spend some time behind a PC last night," he then said downcast. "As far as I know we have only three working now. A lot of sites didn't answer. I could sent a mail to the disease center, and I got one back. What Ria said about Daniel and myself probably being immune, at least for a while, to the virus was confirmed by them. They also said not all their test persons got infected and they are running extra tests with them. They also sent me a rapport saying zombies didn't follow through with attacks on people who had been infected with the fever. I think "follow through" means zombies don't eat the meat of people who had the infection. I don't think it means zombies don't attack them."

Scotty's "Damm!" wasn't the only curse or unbelieving cry. It took a while until the adults were quite again, the children just looked at us as if we had gone mad.

"Maybe," Carol started and paused before she continued. "Maybe we should infect us all? With your and Daniel's blood maybe? As a precaution?"

"I asked them that. They "have no sufficient data about inoculations with forms of zombie-virus yet" This caused some laughter. I grinned too, after all the world knew about this virus only for a few days. And then I had to ask myself if was getting paranoid because a little voice in my head told me "Tsk, what do you know? Some agency in some country might have antidotes because they invented the whole thing!" It took me a while to identify the voice as the same one that had told me to start digging a well on the very first night. It was my brain. A pessimistic or paranoid part of my brain maybe, but my brain all the same. It seemed I had missed a lot of what Peter said because the next thing I heard was:

"About relocation. Some people, like Ria right after the attack have talked about we need to find a new place to live in. A better defendable house, a castle, a hotel, an institute in the woods. I have been thinking about it also. But before we start to think about this we have to think about two other things: 1 the raid to the armory. 2 Cramer's harvest." Peter paused a moment, looked at all of us.

"Some are still ill. We need armored vehicles. We need weapons. We need armored vehicles and weapons to get Cramer's harvest. We need Cramer's harvest to survive the winter. We need about ten to twelve healthy adults to get Cramer's harvest. We need only about three to four healthy people to get about eight vehicles like the Bradley. They would need to make two runs, and yes Cassandra, you would like your mustang back too, I know. I know also I haven't been outside yet. I talked with Daniel, he is willing to go to the armory with me tomorrow morning. Who else is coming? Cassandra? Derry? Not more that four, I want the other healthy people here to watch the ill. Put your hand down, Ria. You are still on the sick-list."

Fuming I took my hand down. I was not ill! Who had put me why on the sick-list?

I decided to amble into the meeting after breakfast with Nora, the meeting was halfway over be the time I walked in. Taking up a spot alongside the the doorway leaning with my back against the wall. After listening nonchalantly for quite awhile I finally threw my two cents in. ''I say we get all out shit together...run our missions we have planned...and get the fuck outta this hell hole!"

''We can either scout several places on the net...or the winery ten miles down the road from my farm.'' I found a dry pack of small Cigars, tapping one out of the pack I lit up with a zippo. Puffing out a cloud of smoke momentarily hiding my face, I silently await to see what was said about it. Putting the pack and lighter in the pocket of my flannel, over a Lynard Skynard Tshirt.

''I need open fields the soil underfoot and in my hands...woods, lakes and streams I want to go home. By home I mean a home we make for us the Knights...yeah we'll have to bust our ass doing it. But it's not a real home...unless you put blood sweat and tears into it.'' I said my piece and was about to let everyone reply, but I was surely going to the Armory. "I'm going to the Armory I want to get several things I need, like an armored vest, another rifle, mags and cartridges too.''

Last edited:
Cassandra

I had been helping to clean up for about two days. The library looked a lot better. But now it was time to prepare for the trip back to the National Guard Armory. I had decided, based upon my dream, that I needed to look the new part of Cassie, gun toting, “Rambo” zombie killing machine. So I went through the lost and found boxes and found some more appropriate “rambo” clothing. In the dream I was wearing this black leather outfit with a denim jacket … well I could not find that … but I did find a spaghetti strap shirt and some great cargo pants with loads of pockets. I put my bow, quiver full of arrows, and engineered a machete holder, which all went on my back. I got a hoister for my 9 mm hand gun (Officer Bart help with that!) that hung near my thigh. I also added a water bottle holder and a small food pouch. I stuck a few pickles in there. I still needed to find a good hunting knife to complete the outfit … but it was a good start. I kind of felt a bit like Lara Croft.

http://thestairscwe.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/lara_croft_concept.jpg

Anyhow … as I came up from the basement that morning, everyone was a bit surprised by my new clothing. They were polite … saying things like “well that is a different look …” or “Why are you so heavily armed?” I just nodded and pulled out one of my pickles and chomped on it. I used the pickle kind of like I had seen action stars in movies use cigars. It just added to my visual impact!

So everyone going to the armory assembled near the fire doors. There was Daniel (who I was allowed to kiss again!), Derry, Ria, and Cramer. We had decided to take the APC back to the armory. That was when Daniel and I got into a fight.

“I’m driving” He said.

“WHAT … it’s my tank… I’m driving!” I said as I pulled the pickle out of my mouth.

“IT NOT A TANK!... it’s an APC … and Women drive like SHIT … I’m driving or I’m not going … PERIOD!” he said.

“Well … I use to race cars … I DON’T DRIVE LIKE SHIT … and last time I checked I’m a WOMAN!!” I shouted back at him … sticking my chest out to make sure he knew I was a woman!

“I don’t need this SHIT” Daniel said and stormed off.

Everyone was quiet and looked at me … I didn't say anything for a second. Then I turned toward Derry.

“Does Deacon want to go?” I ask her gruffly, still pretty pissed off as I put the pickle back in my mouth.

Cassie was a friend she knew I had her back over Peter, I was grinning all the while from when I saw her getup. Always being a big fan of sexy women with badass attitude, I enjoyed her royally telling Peter's ass off. ''Well Darlin you just proved between you and Peter who has the ball.'' Taking a drag from my cigar as I deeply chuckled, puffing a haze of smoke out around my face as I did so. ''You can just ride me around anytime gal.'' She was the one woman I could get away with saying things like that.

Shouldering my suppressed AR-15 as I strap my newly suppressed 1911 automatic holster to my thigh. Pulling my jet black tinted wayfarers from my pocket, I slide them on tugging my blue Braves cap down tight. ''Lets grab Deacon and we'll be ready to roll...he's wanting to find a Barrett .50 cal I'd imagine.'' I wanted to find a military grade assault rifle, a shitload of ammo crates full of cartridges for the weapon.

Norah had kissed me on the cheek earlier, thanking me for making her breakfast. ''You be careful OK?'' My feelings for Norah had quickly changed, from love to little sister in a couple days. ''I will Darlin...I am all the time.'' We hugged and she had gone to be with her brother John, he was weak and sedated for the pain. Doc looked worn to a frazzle and about to drop, he'd checked the cut on my head and he steri stripped it.

The memory of Mr. Ashtuli begging by Allah to end his life, haunted the mind and soul of a damaged man. Something had broken inside me last night, I felt after my Kaitlyn had died nothing else could. But it did and whatever was left of Cramer Grimes, I don't thing he is going to return again for a long while. If he ever does it will be by an absolute miracle indeed.

Last edited:
After that night I had helped with most of the cleaning, then I locked himself away inside the storage shed, Derry checked up on me, but after the third time I told her that I was way too busy for some silly virus to infect me and sent her on her way with a kiss. I worked all through the night and the next morning I gave Derry a new crossbow, Cramer received the silencers he wanted for the AR-15 and his 1911 Colt, I took Derry up on to the roof to teach her how the bow worked, she learned quickly.

The matress I had brought along was a thin sponge, so it dried rather quickly, faster than most of the other bedding, so I caught a few winks. Then I started on another project, it took me ages to make or scavenge the parts, to test the connections under pressure, but in the end I had a decent flamethrower. The tank I filled with napalm, the nozzle I had to customize, but with a pull on a lever the small butane flame lit up, the backpack-like tank worked with pressure, you had a lever to pump air into the tank, placing it under force. I tested the thrower without lighting the napalm and it travelled a good 30 feet, that should do nicely. I had even found a gauge to measure the amount of pressure in the tank.

I picked up the new weapon and went out of the door, almost getting bowled over by Daniel, he mumbled something about "fucking freak" and then he was gone. I glared after him, I didn't like his attitude, I sensed that he had a lot to offer the group as a whole, but this type of actions and attitude only proved me wrong about him. I found the assembled group, Cassie was dressed up in very sensible clothing and armed to the teeth. I paused and looked her up and down,

"Now you just need a rolled up bandana tied around your forehead and we can call you Rambina."

I gave her a grin and settled the flamethrower on the ground,

"There you go Cassie, a real-as-I-can-get-it-for-now flamethrower."

I explained how it worked and cautioned her over and over about the voltality of the napalm, it seemed like the people around me looked at me like I was supposed to use the weapon and not Cassie.

"What?"

"Well Daniel stormed off and we are one member short."

I gave her a smile,

"I'd love to go, but I have more work left to do and a bit of sleep to catch up on..."

I paused, then counted heads,

"You know what? Screw it."

I hefted the tank onto my back and pumped it a few times to get some pressure into the tank,

"When we get back I'm gonna talk with Daniel about this."

Last edited:
Ria

"Please stop asking me how I feel! We are going to the armory, want to come?"

"Why?When?Why?"

"Because I am fine! Tonight. To get more Bradleys. X"

I thought it might be good to send Bart a kiss after the various variations of "good", "alright", "okay" , "fine, stop asking" and other less or more snappy responds without kisses I had sent him over the last days. Half an hour I had to wait before he answered "Yes. X Meet you there X"

I had to explain him he wouldn't meet me there because they had put me on the sick-list. And about half an hour later I messaged Bart again.

"I'll be there. Lee took me of the sick-list but told the others to watch me. I feel like I am a teenager again! They watch me in a we-are-not-checking-you-we-know-you-are-fine way! X"

I didn't need to change my dress, I was wearing a pair of coveralls I had been wearing for the most of the last days. It was a bit bigger around the hips as the one I had before and much too wide around my waist so I had added a belt. I had been able to change my undies, but the rest of my clothes was still wet. I only changed my slippers for my walking boots, hung my machete over my shoulder -luckily the sheath had two loops to attach it to a belt, I had clasped two belts together and looped the sheath over it, so that the machete hung low on my hip- hung the pouch I had made for my stones at my belt, put my catapult into the pocket on my left thigh and hung a reserve machete from my belt.

There was a man-high mirror somewhere but I didn't need it to know I looked like a somewhat rundown warrior queen.

I wasn't the only one looking like some kind of Mad-Max character though. Derry and Cramer looks didn't differ much from mine, and neither did Daniel's when he came up to us. Daniel seemed a bit nervous. More nervous than us. He glanced my way a few times, moving his eyes away as soon as I caught his gaze. He never looked at Cramer the same way though.

As Cassandra came I opened my mouth and closed it firmly. She topped our outfits. She looked like she meant business. That was all very well and hadn't make me open my mouth. But the pickle which was dangling from her mouth like a cigar ... It kind of ruined the impression. Or made it better, I couldn't decide. I almost missed the start of the quarrel between Daniel and her.

"Don't! Kids, don't quarrel, as soon as we come back everyone has a tank to drive," I tried to shush them, but my words were ignored. I only could look from one to the other from then on as the shouting match developed. I felt guilty. I felt like Daniel was using it as a means to avoid going out on a raid with me.

Luckily the awkward silence which followed Daniel's exit was broken by Deacon showing Cassandra the flame-thrower he had made.

After Cassie explained what happened he decided to accompany us, telling her he would have a word with Daniel about it.

I shook my head.

"Please don't, Deacon. Or not in the way you are thinking about now. I think he just jumped upon an opportunity to abort because he felt uneasy with me being a part of the raid. I think he remembers too well what happened to him when he was infected. Like me, you don't feel different from normal also, do you? And you, Cramer? I don't think we are infected at all." I sighed. "It is most disturbing to check ones own's thoughts and actions for signs of Napoleon constantly." I sighed again.

"Well, if we are ready, shall we go? Can I sit beside you, Cassie, I would love to see how you steer a tank. I have never been inside one."

Back