Obsession

Mustang Sally

Wanna go for a ride?
Joined
Sep 21, 2000
Posts
3,511
At what point does mere interest become an obsession? What are the symptoms? If we're talking about a person (and I am), can you confuse love with obsession or vice versa?

Have you ever wondered if you had it in you to be a stalker?? No no, don't worry. I'm not stalking anybody. Yet.
 
Well that's more than a little creepy. I've never stalked, but I think that, on at least one occasion, I have been obsessed. I knew I was though, and kept it under control, so I'm not sure it was really obsession.

The general "symptoms" of a stalker, and I speak from personal experience (as the victim, though he no harm came to me...this guy was just annoying) are repeated phone calls and gifts after the object of your affections has already made it clear they're not interested, "turning up" where they are beyond coincidence. It's one thing to try to put yourself in the area of someone you like to get to know them better, as in walking by their desk at work on your way to the restroom when there is a shorter way, or going where they go for lunch. I'm talking about driving past their house every day, or several times a day, or following then throughout the day.

Also a feeling of anxiety or dissappointment if you don't see them, beyond just a normal "Damn, I don't get to talk to him/her today, and I was really looking forward to it."

Basically, it's everything in excesss. Love shouldn't lead to obsession if it's real love. If you love someone, you'll try to get to know them, and maybe ask for a lunch date or something casual at first. You'll make yourself known but still give them their space. Obsession can be mistaken for love.

Obsession and stalking is usually a result of some other feeling or event in the person's life. If you think your feelings are unhealthy, or your behavior is over the top, which I think you may or you wouldn't have asked, please, please go talk to someone. Stalking can get you in a LOT of trouble, and it can go too far before you know it.
 
Obsession has an element of dependence that simple interest doesn't have. If you're interested in someone, you take notice of them and if you don't get to talk to them, that's kind of a bummer, but it's alright. If you're obsessesed, you need to talk to that person and if you don't, it throws you're whole system out of whack for a while, even though you don't have a genuine connection with them.

You should look at your reactions to that person's actions carefully and if they are way out of balance (ie: being depressed for a whole day because he/she didn't talk to you for very long) you might want to take a step back and examine why. Being obsessed like that isn't good for you nor the other person.

Yes, it is possible to mistake obsession for love, especially if you don't pay close attention to it. If you feel that you might be be obsessing, there could be a reason behind that. Take some time off from being around this person and carefully lookat the way that you feel about them. Be honest with yourself. It's not easy, but it will be better for the both of you if you peg down what exactly it is that you feel.

It may not be easy nor "romantic," but it will be alot better for the both of you, even though it may not seem that way at first.
 
At what point does mere interest become an obsession? What are the symptoms? If we're talking about a person (and I am), can you confuse love with obsession or vice versa?

Have you ever wondered if you had it in you to be a stalker?? No no, don't worry. I'm not stalking anybody. Yet.

In my opinion when you love someone you have deep seated feelings for them, worry about their well being, and think about them often. If you were obsessed with someone than it becomes about them and only them, anyone else being around them would anger or upset you, you can think or focus on nothing else, and you start entertaining false realities such as they should be yours or no ones in a creepy manner.
 
Rae, you showing chicks on your AV now? :D She's got me beat with titty meat!
 
At what point does mere interest become an obsession? What are the symptoms? If we're talking about a person (and I am), can you confuse love with obsession or vice versa?

Have you ever wondered if you had it in you to be a stalker?? No no, don't worry. I'm not stalking anybody. Yet.

I did have one women who did get a bit stalkerish once. We had what I had asssumed was a one-off night at a conference we were both at. She got a bit creepy with her texts and stuff after that. She was married too, which made it even more strange.
 
Back
Top