Mythbusters

I gave up on Time Warp fairly quickly, too, but there's not much competition for my interest either, so I tend to leave it on waiting for Mythbusters -- tonight's episode was pretty cool with Adam going supersonic in "Blue Angel 7" to try and break glass witha sonic boom.

Time Warp keeps copying Mythbusters, like bringing the arrow catching Australian Ninja in for some staged shots a couple of weeks ago and doing a firewalking segment this week. IIRC, Mythbusters got better pictures of the actual mechanics of Firewalking than the Time Warp team.

I doubt Time Warp will be around much longer. It's a gimmick, and a limited one at that.

Unfortunately, Mythbusters seems to have run out of a bit of steam. Many of their recent episodes have been revisits to old challenges, based on feedback via the Sci Fi website, or testings of more contemporary myths. e.g., tonight's episode about the ability to curve a bullet's flight path a la the movie Wanted.

Unless they change their shtick, Adam and Jamie will soon return to the land of Obscuria.
 
I love how Jamie can ever-so-casually say something like, "We're gonna set the car on fire."

:D
 
Indeed. Ways to beat labor pains, is natural birth preferable to using drugs, does underwater birthing really work . . . .

;)

I was thinking of more old wive's-y things, like does the way a nail suspended over the belly predict the sex of the baby, are boys carried low and girl high, and that sort of myth.

ETA: They'd have to recruit an entire Lamaze class -- or three -- to test all of the myths you suggets
 
I was thinking of more old wive's-y things, like does the way a nail suspended over the belly predict the sex of the baby, are boys carried low and girl high, and that sort of myth.

ETA: They'd have to recruit an entire Lamaze class -- or three -- to test all of the myths you suggets

Well, I'm sure they have the budget. ;)

Isn't there also a myth about a crystal being used to detect the sex of a baby in the womb?

And then there's the whole rabbit thing . . . but I doubt they'd want to test that one.
 
Isn't there also a myth about a crystal being used to detect the sex of a baby in the womb?

And then there's the whole rabbit thing . . . but I doubt they'd want to test that one.

Nails, crystals, carpenter's plumb-bobs, all sorts of suspended objects are supposed to be influences by the aura of the baby's gender.
 
Nails, crystals, carpenter's plumb-bobs, all sorts of suspended objects are supposed to be influences by the aura of the baby's gender.

*snerk*

Plumb bobs? :rolleyes:

There's a pregnant girl at work, she's now about five weeks till her due date. She was sure that, because she carried the baby high, she was having a girl. Even picked out a girl's name without even thinking about a boy's.

She's having a boy. ;)
 
*snerk*

Plumb bobs? :rolleyes:

Almost any pendulum. I don't remember which sex causes circular movement and which causes back and forth movement -- but they're all silly myths that needs to be busted -- so people like your co-worker won't have to be embarassed and their boys don't grow up wearing pink dresses and learning to fight because they're "a boy named Sue." :p

(girls wearing blue pants and playing sports is something there needs to be more of anyway, so I'm not really concerned about them :D)
 
(girls wearing blue pants and playing sports is something there needs to be more of anyway, so I'm not really concerned about them :D)

Warning: serious tangent divergence

You made me think of the film "Skin Deep" with John Ritter, in which he plays an alcoholic, sexually obsessive author. At one point, he's talking to his bartender:

"I love women. I mean, really love women. Earth Mother women with enormous breasts and green eyes. Little boy girls with small tits and tight little asses. I love them all. I love women."

I'm paraphrasing, of course.

I've always had a thing for tomboys. :D
 
Warning: serious tangent divergence

You made me think of the film "Skin Deep" with John Ritter, in which he plays an alcoholic, sexually obsessive author. At one point, he's talking to his bartender:

"I love women. I mean, really love women. Earth Mother women with enormous breasts and green eyes. Little boy girls with small tits and tight little asses. I love them all. I love women."

I'm paraphrasing, of course.

I've always had a thing for tomboys. :D

All my favorite women were tomboys as little girls.
 
Back
Top