March Madness thread

After the first round, the Big 12 has certainly done well. Six wins and no losses, although it looks as if Texas A&M is on the verge of losing. The Big East, at six and one and the Pac Ten at five and one have also done well, although UCLA has lost in the second round.

The Big Ten, at four and three did reasonably well in the first round. The ACC, at three and four did not shine, especially since MD lost in the second round. The flop of the tourneyment, in terms of the six power conferences seems to be the SEC. They had only three teams make it to the dance, and two of them lost in the first round. The third, LSU, will probably lose today, although that remains to be seen.

The Atlantic Ten actually did better than the SEC, also having three teams entered, and two of them won in the first round.

I know the tournament is an individual college thing, but it's fun to see how the different conferences compare. :cool:
 
Carolina beat LSU
Duke is ahead of Texas

I'm still a Wake fan inspite of last night! :D

I hope Duke makes the final 4 just to screw Obama's bracket! :D
 
Looks like Obama's bracket is a bit messed up now. Arizona made it past the first AND second rounds.

Although I do find it interesting that the Midwest region is the ONLY region with any team outside of a 5 rank that are left.
 
Looks like Obama's bracket is a bit messed up now. Arizona made it past the first AND second rounds.

Although I do find it interesting that the Midwest region is the ONLY region with any team outside of a 5 rank that are left.

That doesn't surprise me, there is a reason for the rankings :rolleyes:
The surprise is when a 12 or so makes it to the Sweet 16 :D
 
After two rounds, it looks as if the Beast of the East is the Big East. They went five and 1, and now have 11 wins and two losses and have landed five teams in the Sweet 16. The Big 12 are doing well too, although not as well as they did in the first round, and have nine wins and three losses and three teams in the Sweet 16.

The Pac Ten did badly in the second round, losing four games and winning one, and now have six wins and five losses, and one team in the Sweet 16. The Big Ten split four games and also has six wins and five losses, but they have two teams in the Sweet 16. The ACC did better, and now have five wins and five losses, with two teams in the Sweet 16. Those two teams are Duke and UNC, who might just both make the finals. Probably not, but it wouldn't be a shock.

The SEC once again flopped, and their last team was eliminated. They won one game and lost three in the tournament.

There are only three teams outside of the six power conferences to survive this far - Memphis, Gonzaga and Xavier.
 
Carolina beat LSU
Duke is ahead of Texas

I'm still a Wake fan inspite of last night! :D

I hope Duke makes the final 4 just to screw Obama's bracket! :D

Well I'm happy we made the Sweet Sixteen. I told Gizz that if we made it to the Final Four I'm writing to Obama and saying, "Boy, did we screw up your bracket something awful. Hahahahaaaaa!!!"
 
That doesn't surprise me, there is a reason for the rankings :rolleyes:
The surprise is when a 12 or so makes it to the Sweet 16 :D

Do NOT get me started on THAT. I'm STILL irritated by the several no-name teams that destroyed my bracket after the second round in '06. :rolleyes:
 
Another round has ended and eight teams remain. Saying the Big East is dominant might be an overstatement but they are certainly doing well. Four of the teams remaining are from that conference. They will have at least one teram in the final four, the winner between Pitt. and Nova, and may have as many as three. So far, their teams have won 15 and lost three.

The Big 12 is doing well also and has teo teams still alive and they might both make it to the final four. They have won 11 and lost four up till today. The Big Ten with a 7-6 record and the ACC with a 6-6 record have the other teams still having a chance. The Pac Ten at 6 and 6 has no teams still alive, nor does the SEC (Boo! Hiss!) with one win and three losses.

The people who do the seedings, etc. apparently try to avoid matching teams from the same conferences and the Pitt-Nova game will be the first such matchup. They try to get four different conferences represented in the Final four and might succeed this year. Missou has to beat UConn; MSU has to bit Louisville and UNC has to best Oklahoma. That parlay is not likely to happen, although none of those results would be an upset. The odds would be about one out of eight.
 
Last edited:
Well nobody lower than a #3 seed is left, and all four #1 seeds remain. I don't know if it's ever happened before, but I don't believe I've ever seen the potential for the Final Four to consist solely of the #1 seeds.

Could be interesting.
 
Well nobody lower than a #3 seed is left, and all four #1 seeds remain. I don't know if it's ever happened before, but I don't believe I've ever seen the potential for the Final Four to consist solely of the #1 seeds.

Could be interesting.

Actually, last year was the first time that happened. Be something if it happened again, huh...
 
The Big East is still the most successful in the tourney. They have 16 wins against teams in other conferences and four losses. I am not including the win by Nova over Pitt. They have two teams in the Final Four and may have both finalists. Or no finalists. The Big 12 also did well, ending with 11 wins and six losses, although all their teams have been eliminated.

The Big Ten has eight wins and six losses to date, and one team in the Final four. The ACC is seven and six with the other Final four team. The Pac Ten ended at 6-6. The worst flop was the SEC, who had only three teams invited to the dance, with their champion seeded eighth, and nobody seeded higher than that. Two of them lost in the first round and the other in the second round, so they ended up at one win and three losses. :eek:
 
Actually, last year was the first time that happened. Be something if it happened again, huh...
It's made it incredibly dull for me. I really enjoy the underdog story. There were some close calls, but it turned into a bunch of highly rated teams I didn't care about. The games I've seen have been good, but I haven't watched a single one end-to-end, and only watched parts when I had nothing else to do (either at the gym, or when there wasn't anything else on TV).
 
Michigan's in in a tight one.

Go Heels! Looking like a blowout so far.
 
If you are from NC, why not? Even if you are a fan, even an alumnus of Duke or NC State? :confused:

My youngest daughter is a junior at Wake Forrest :D

After pulling against Carolina all year, I won't break the chain :D

My Dad got his PHD at Michigan State :D
Go Spartans! :D
 
Michigan State vs North Carolina. I like them both...I have no idea who I want to root against. :eek:
 
Back
Top