How has the internet changed over the years in your experience?

I was a pre-ipo founding exec at a big ISP and we used to pay something like $2.25 per license for netscape browsers to include with our access kits.

Microsoft approached me about using their new browser, IE , and I turned them down, even though they wanted to pay us to use them instead of netscape.

“No microsoft in our company, sorry man.” ( arrogant i was)

Well, that lasted until the MS guys went over my head to the President…. :) money talks.

The Internet should have been regulated like broadcasters and telecoms from the start.

288656750_10158885369103994_6387146292242357473_n.jpg

It is a whole new world compared to when I started. Does anyone remember webtv? That was my first internet experience. But i have enjoyed it.

I definitely miss Netscape and Internet Explorer. They may not have been as powerful at running animation and GIF's, or in other words, DISPLAYING websites, but as pure search engines, they were far better at finding relevant search results, where you didn't have to wade through a lot of commercial websites and non-relevant results.
Adobe Flash is another thing I miss; especially playing flash games online.

As far as online discourse, there have always been trolls, but there seems to be a lot more virulent extremism and hate speech that is spilling over onto mainstream websites, including this site; where it used to be more relegated purely to sites (Stormfront.org, for example) that specifically catered to that kind of garbage. This is, I think, a symptom of what is happening everywhere else in the real world, though. Hate Speech and extremism are not as taboo as they once were.

Most of the online hate comes from Americans, which bugs me.

My personal view is the Russians have been waging ( successful) psyops online against the USA for 15-20 years…the USA is being destroyed from within.

I agree, and I have long suspected that some of the most blatant forum trolls on the "politics" forum that pretend to be Americans- are not actually Americans. Specifically the ones which have multiple user names (which in itself seems a little blatant.)

Most of the online hate comes from Americans, which bugs me.

My personal view is the Russians have been waging ( successful) psyops online against the USA for 15-20 years…the USA is being destroyed from within.
Have you met butters?

HAVE YOU MET YOU???

I agree, and I have long suspected that some of the most blatant forum trolls on the "politics" forum that pretend to be Americans- are not actually Americans. Specifically the ones which have multiple user names (which in itself seems a little blatant.)

I was speaking in broader terms; there are Russian bots everywhere trying to destabilize American society.

And winning, obviously.

I was speaking in broader terms; there are Russian bots everywhere trying to destabilize American society.

And winning, obviously.
We have some of it spilling over in Canada as well.

The Ottawa “Freedom Convoy” for example was organized and funded by people who were yelling about their “ First Amendment” rights…. Bit of a giveaway.

The upcoming leadership campaign for the Conservative Party of Canada has triggered a flood of New Members ($15 to join online) in order for far right crazies to try and take over the Party.

Because our system isnt set up like the American system, they’ll probably just splinter the Party, thereby assuring another Liberal victory in the next election.

Either way, there are anti-democratic forces trying to destroy North America.

Time to regulate the Internet.

I didn't use internet as much back then. Now i am completely depended on my phone and the internet.
In our company we prefer to use microsoft teams sms instead of a normal sms or calls and that is the other new thing for me.
It also means that i have to be available most of my day, even when i am with the friends or family.

Last edited:
I started using the internet when I was 11. I'm now 34. I get less unsolicited dick pics (although I still do get them, just to be clear).

Back