Format: submitted stories always come out as blocks of text (already checked FAQ)

More in Accounts, actually. Most in the typing pool were as old as my mum.

Yep, my directorate got its first computer in 1984 or 85, IIRC, with the operating system on one 8" floppy disk, the memory on another.8" floppy.

The spreadsheet was 256 rows long and an alphabet wide, and the display was orange on black, 80 characters wide. DOS 1 or 2, I reckon.
Now that I'm 68, some of those ladies in their fifties are looking pretty good.

Yeah, the first computer I ever saw in an office (1984) had the two floppy drives. The one guy who knew Lotus 1-2-3 (about the only program he could use) seemed like a guru to the rest of us.

Usually the <br> code is only necessary for quotes, like a few lines of a poem or song lyrics. It works best if it is written as one line line like this:

“ ‘Oh lord I’m gonna ramble ’til I get back to where I came.</br>Oh lord I’m gonna ramble ’til I get back to where I came.</br>Oh White Freightliner won’t you haul away my pain?’ ”

It will come out looking like this. (Never mind the quotes within quotes.)

" 'Oh lord I'm gonna ramble 'til I get back to where I came.
Oh lord I'm gonna ramble 'til I get back to where I came.
Oh White Freightliner won't you haul away my pain?' "

If you simply have the </br> at the end of each line, it will act as a paragraph break and add a space between each line. Not a dealbreaker, but I think it looks better the other way. Anyway, that's about the only use I can see for using </br>.

P.S.: There was a paragraph break after "pain" which makes it all into a block of text.
Oh. You also have </br>. Does this work differently from <br>?

Does <br> simply function as a line break, while </br> functions as a paragraph break (adding a space between blocks of text? I'm not sure I see it doing that, in this example.

Oh. You also have </br>. Does this work differently from <br>?

Does <br> simply function as a line break, while </br> functions as a paragraph break (adding a space between blocks of text? I'm not sure I see it doing that, in this example.
I'm not really sure what the difference is. I found this:

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

Usually the back slash is used for the tag that closes the code. So far, I've used </br> for such line breaks and it seems to do the same thing. I'd have to look into it further to find out more about it.

P.S.: You really need a submarine in your avatar! ;)

Last edited:
<br> is a self-closing HTML tag so you don’t need the slash in front. In fact, I’m surprised it even works since it’s technically a syntax error to have only the closing tag.
Some people also recommend typing <br/> instead which is fine but largely unnecessary in this day and age.

In other words, just use <br>.

Last edited:
<br> is a self-closing HTML tag so you don’t need the slash in front. In fact, I’m surprised it even works since it’s technically a syntax error to have only the closing tag.
Some people also recommend typing <br/> instead which is fine but largely unnecessary in this day and age.

In other words, just use <br>.
Ah, what luck that there's a thread resurrected on this issue just today, maybe this will finally allow be to properly linebreak my stuff. I ran an experiment by using Ao3's rich text to html "converter", which resulted in about 500 instances of code I had to remove for Lit, but all in all, I think it was worth it, much better than inputting every html instance by hand.
Fun fact, it actually injects the <br/> form instead of plain <br>.

Though, despite of it, the <br/> didn't actually work as I wanted it to, instead of linebreaking like a poem, it just injected an extra white space between each line. Not disastrous, but would break my story's upcoming song lyric section if I wasn't able to figure out a fix first. But looks like, all the knowledge in this thread will work: use <br> within one text block and without /.

(Also in hindsight, my published text was riddled with "<br /><br />" one after the other, for some reason. (that's what I get for trying to cut corners) Perhaps this is the root cause, testing with some html simulator, this appears to the case. The preview for the text in Lit did show it didn't mind these doubles (still gave poem like structure), but apparently this isn't the case in reality.)

I have now used both the submission text box and uploading a Word document, and in both cases, the resulting story is published as just line after equally spaced line of text, eating up all the original spacing and paragraphs.
Try double returns.

I'm not really sure what the difference is. I found this:

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

Usually the back slash is used for the tag that closes the code. So far, I've used </br> for such line breaks and it seems to do the same thing. I'd have to look into it further to find out more about it.

P.S.: You really need a submarine in your avatar! ;)
(The <br> & </br> thing) ... Eez a mysteree!!

Avatar -- yeah. The forum software sends me to my overall Lit control panel. My overall Lit control panel continues to show the image of Gold Dolphins that I have been using for years, now. Huh. Maybe I'll ask about that in one of the "techie" sub-forums here.

(The <br> & </br> thing) ... Eez a mysteree!!

Avatar -- yeah. The forum software sends me to my overall Lit control panel. My overall Lit control panel continues to show the image of Gold Dolphins that I have been using for years, now. Huh. Maybe I'll ask about that in one of the "techie" sub-forums here.
I did the avatar a long time ago and I forgot how I found out. It was difficult to size it properly and then the circle cut off some of the image, resulting in a muddy picture. I was thinking of redoing it with something else. If you see somebody on here with an interesting effect, you can ask them how they did it.

Ah, what luck that there's a thread resurrected on this issue just today, maybe this will finally allow be to properly linebreak my stuff. I ran an experiment by using Ao3's rich text to html "converter", which resulted in about 500 instances of code I had to remove for Lit, but all in all, I think it was worth it, much better than inputting every html instance by hand.
Fun fact, it actually injects the <br/> form instead of plain <br>.

Though, despite of it, the <br/> didn't actually work as I wanted it to, instead of linebreaking like a poem, it just injected an extra white space between each line. Not disastrous, but would break my story's upcoming song lyric section if I wasn't able to figure out a fix first. But looks like, all the knowledge in this thread will work: use <br> within one text block and without /.

(Also in hindsight, my published text was riddled with "<br /><br />" one after the other, for some reason. (that's what I get for trying to cut corners) Perhaps this is the root cause, testing with some html simulator, this appears to the case. The preview for the text in Lit did show it didn't mind these doubles (still gave poem like structure), but apparently this isn't the case in reality.)
Yeah, I mentioned that it will act as a paragraph break unless it's all in a single line. I found that out the hard way. See post #24 above.

Back