First Album You Ever Bought

The CD that I've puchased the Most

Jacques Loussier Trio's Satie: Gymnopedies Gnossiennes

It's the album / CD that I give as an introduction to Jazz. It is jazz and classical music all at the same time.

41JVFV0QM4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's the album / CD that I give as an introduction to Jazz. It is jazz and classical music all at the same time.

My first classical music purchase:
mozart0455.jpg

A friend of mine borrowed the tape to record and then proceed to lose it. To me this is the most beautiful confection of musical sounds ever.

Thanks for this! I hadn't heard of them...listening now via youtube. I may have to buy this one.

Ahhhh, to be young and have shitty taste in music again.

yeah, linkin park will never be good. hopefully in ten years they'll be completely forgotten or, at least, they'll get the poison treatment. ie only well known and firmly established douchebags will still think they're cool.

yeah, linkin park will never be good. hopefully in ten years they'll be completely forgotten or, at least, they'll get the poison treatment. ie only well known and firmly established douchebags will still think they're cool.

which of lincoln's parks and why forgotten? that memorial in washington, dc is lovely and well-maintained. could it be related to the formal combining of lincoln's and washington's birthdays into one?

which of lincoln's parks and why forgotten? that memorial in washington, dc is lovely and well-maintained. could it be related to the formal combining of lincoln's and washington's birthdays into one?

this is why i should be allowed to punch people through the internet.

Don McLean's "American Pie"... wait, that was on 8-Track

I had a 45 single of this...I remember it because it was weird, had a part one and part two was on the other side, he'd fade out at the end of side one and fade in on side two...

Everyone has fell in love with Satie: Gymnopedies Gnossiennes.

Another one that is a little off the beaten path is Aria

The Satie works are amazing. Particularly the nocturnes. Listening now like Perg. He's done something very cool here with Classical music

Last edited:
Ok I have one for you. What labels besides Geffen Records is Dave Geffen responsible for?

No idea. I would have gotten the obvious, of course, but beyond that.....no clue. For some reason, I want to say Atlantic, but I have no idea why.

big_brother_cheapf.jpg

I believe the second album was probably "Surfing USA" by the Beach Boys. Go figure.

I must issue a retraction. My first album was most certainly "Surfing USA." "Cheap Thrills" was the first album I bought for my new stereo which I built from Radio Shack components and speaker cabinets from scrap wood and baffled with acoustic ceiling tile (yes....I.....did :eek: ).

But my first 45 rpm was most definitely Little GTO, by Ronnie and the Daytonas. You don't forget something like that.

Thanks

My first classical music purchase:
mozart0455.jpg

A friend of mine borrowed the tape to record and then proceed to lose it. To me this is the most beautiful confection of musical sounds ever.

I am always looking for recommendations when it comes to classical music

Falcon Boy?

You work with Falcon Boy?

Despite what you heard abut the City of Detroit and the state of Michigan, we may be shrinking, but not to the point to where we all know each other (not yet at least)

Despite what you heard abut the City of Detroit and the state of Michigan, we may be shrinking, but not to the point to where we all know each other (not yet at least)

Especially given that Falcon Boy lives in Oregon.

That Michael Moore guy makes me think Detroit is smaller than the skate rink near the Statie HQ and Carson beach in Southie.

No idea. I would have gotten the obvious, of course, but beyond that.....no clue. For some reason, I want to say Atlantic, but I have no idea why.
Asylum Records which promoted a lot of well known acts in the 70s like Jackson Browne. He also is responsible for the recording arm of SKG
I am always looking for recommendations when it comes to classical music
This version of it is just stunning. The chorale voices take my breath away.

I also recommend recordings by Arthur Rubenstein. He was without a doubt extraordinarily gifted. My favorite:

51lLQqvtJ1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
I had classical before anything else because that's what my dad liked, classical and opera. We listened to it at every night (well he did but I guess it sunk in). So the first album I ever bought was Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D Minor. The first 45 I ever bought was Bread and Butter by the Newbeats at EJ Korvette's (if you're from New Jersey or New York and old like me, you remember it). My grandfather bought my sister and I the first few Beatle albums, so that makes this Chad and Jeremy album the first non-classical album I actually bought.

album-chad-jeremy-sing-for-youyesterdays-gone.jpg

It's a goofy album but hey I was around ten.

And since RunningJib posted his first jazz album, mine was Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' Night in Tunesia. I heard the song on a jazz station out of NYC when I was still in high school, and I so loved the sound of it, I bought the album.

Wish I still had all my Beatles stuff. I had all the Beatle cards series, a lunchbox and these records printed on cards that the fan club sent out for Christmas each year. I had a whole box of those things (my sister's best friend was a fan club president and had loads of Beatles chochkes from them). My mom cleaned the cellar when I was in college and threw it all out. Good going there mommy.

I had classical before anything else because that's what my dad liked, classical and opera. We listened to it at every night (well he did but I guess it sunk in). So the first album I ever bought was Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D Minor. The first 45 I ever bought was Bread and Butter by the Newbeats at EJ Korvette's (if you're from New Jersey or New York and old like me, you remember it). My grandfather bought my sister and I the first few Beatle albums, so that makes this Chad and Jeremy album the first non-classical album I actually bought.

album-chad-jeremy-sing-for-youyesterdays-gone.jpg

It's a goofy album but hey I was around ten.

And since RunningJib posted his first jazz album, mine was Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers' Night in Tunesia. I heard the song on a jazz station out of NYC when I was still in high school, and I so loved the sound of it, I bought the album.

Wish I still had all my Beatles stuff. I had all the Beatle cards series, a lunchbox and these records printed on cards that the fan club sent out for Christmas each year. I had a whole box of those things (my sister's best friend was a fan club president and had loads of Beatles chochkes from them). My mom cleaned the cellar when I was in college and threw it all out. Good going there mommy.

i got classical stuff bought for me before i got my beastie boys tape and loved it. i especially loved my gershwin tape. yeah, i kno. not technically classical, but at the time i was young and i didn't know the difference, but i played that tape to death regardless.

I had classical before anything else because that's what my dad liked, classical and opera. We listened to it at every night (well he did but I guess it sunk in). So the first album I ever bought was Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D Minor. .

I'm impressed. That's where I got my love of classical and opera as well.

My first album was by the Beatles. Don't remember which one, but it was one of their first. I was in a department store, a precursor to something along the lines of Kmart, and the price was $1.88 or $2.88, depending on whether you wanted mono or stereo.
Not knowing the difference, I forked over $1.88.
As an aside, I suspect I've spent about $1,000 on Beatles music.

Back