British Woman Who Joined ISIS in Syria Wants to Come Home

Sounds like Britain is running our of other people's money and cannot afford to treat the world to the benefits of proper citizenship.

I believe, in global terms, we're still on the rich list. It's got little to do with resources and much to do with the political and social climate. See Brexit.

It's gone too far, IMO. From soft touch to outright cruel, skipping the sensible centre road entirely.

I believe, in global terms, we're still on the rich list. It's got little to do with resources and much to do with the political and social climate. See Brexit.

It's gone too far, IMO. From soft touch to outright cruel, skipping the sensible centre road entirely.

BTW, speaking of Brexit are the British people going to get their way and leave the European Union or are their leaders going to sell them out? Just curious.

BTW, speaking of Brexit are the British people going to get their way and leave the European Union or are their leaders going to sell them out? Just curious.

It's a tricky one. Both campaigns lied, but the Brexit campaign gave a very unrealistic idea of what the EU would be happy to give us for nothing on trade and such. The original vote was insanely close, and if they ran another referendum (as many are calling for) it would probably have a different result. I think that May will push it through, with the rather shitty deal she managed to negotiate, and nobody will be happy.

It's a tricky one. Both campaigns lied, but the Brexit campaign gave a very unrealistic idea of what the EU would be happy to give us for nothing on trade and such. The original vote was insanely close, and if they ran another referendum (as many are calling for) it would probably have a different result. I think that May will push it through, with the rather shitty deal she managed to negotiate, and nobody will be happy.

Thanks, I appreciate that.:)

The overall vote wasn't really all that close: https: www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Good points.
Altho to play the Devil's advocate, one could argue that she thought ISIS were the good guys. After all, so did -initially- American soldiers in Iraq or Vietnam.

But regardless of how remorseful they claim to be, one can't take ISIS brides back.
One can't get inside their head to know whether they're ISIS sleepers and future bombers. And even prison costs taxpayers money.

What does Vietnam have to do with this?

I don't see how any woman can make a reasoned choice to cast in her lot with ISIS or Islam in general. Maybe the British PC keeps them from knowing the facts. :eek:

The overall vote wasn't really all that close: https: www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

How would that not be classed as close?

It's interesting how many people have changed their minds since the vote. Brexiters who are worried by the resulting uncertainty, the knock-on effect on the economy, and the realisation that they might not get to retire to the south of France. Remainers who are now disgusted with what they see as the punitive bullying by the EU over the exit deal.

Now that the spin, the glossy ads and the outright lies are gone, it would be very interesting to see how a new referendum went.

How would that not be classed as close?

It's interesting how many people have changed their minds since the vote. Brexiters who are worried by the resulting uncertainty, the knock-on effect on the economy, and the realisation that they might not get to retire to the south of France. Remainers who are now disgusted with what they see as the punitive bullying by the EU over the exit deal.

Now that the spin, the glossy ads and the outright lies are gone, it would be very interesting to see how a new referendum went.

It's not a landslide, but I also wouldn't describe it as "insanely close" as you did.

What does Vietnam have to do with this?

I don't see how any woman can make a reasoned choice to cast in her lot with ISIS or Islam in general. Maybe the British PC keeps them from knowing the facts. :eek:

Morality is sometimes relative.

In their indoctrinated worldview, they probably thought that They were moral and good, saving souls and protecting the Middle East from Western corruption and invasion blah blah blah.
Just like Americans who dropped bombs in the Middle East or Hiroshima thought it would be saving millions of other people.

But judging from a strictly utilitarian point, she poses a potential risk to the UK.
So I agree with you, especially since EU's PC bullshit is partially responsible for all the suicide bombings.

51.9 % to 48.1% is not close? As a member of the Questiontime audience said "Even my golf club requires 60% of the vote in order to change the constitution." That is what we are talking about here changing the constitution of Britain. What is needed in the US to, for instance, scrap the second amendment? Can you do it with a simple majority of the people voting for it?

What you are seeing in Britain now is the result of the worst decision made by the worst Prime Minister in History, David Cameron.

Sounds like Britain is running our of other people's money and cannot afford to treat the world to the benefits of proper citizenship.

Before you start talking about running out of other people's money perhaps you should take a look at your own county's debt.

I'd let her come home to the resources she needs from her community. Hell, she should be a hero and her newest child will be first in line at the Madrassa...

51.9 % to 48.1% is not close? As a member of the Questiontime audience said "Even my golf club requires 60% of the vote in order to change the constitution." That is what we are talking about here changing the constitution of Britain. What is needed in the US to, for instance, scrap the second amendment? Can you do it with a simple majority of the people voting for it?

What you are seeing in Britain now is the result of the worst decision made by the worst Prime Minister in History, David Cameron.

3.8 percentage points in an electorate of 40 million or so is pretty decisive.

In fact you need a majority of just one vote in the UK Parliament to change the constitution.

The problem with a second referendum if the result changed would be that Brussels would take that as a licence to shaft UK - as they did to Ireland when they changed their minds about Lisbon.

None of the alternatives are good for UK, but perhaps a hard Brexit with no deal might be best in the long run because so long as UK is still within the tent they have no negotiating strength at all. At least with a no deal you keep the money. In the short term there will be problems whatever happens.

I agree that, in the long term, no deal is better than a bad deal made in panic. Short term, however... Ouch!

The child would be a UK citizen by descent, would it not? And, if so, that makes a huge difference. A British child is a British child.

Perhaps the baby could be raised by appropriate family members?

Not if the mother is deprived of British citizenship for joining a terrorist organisation.

The whole question of what happens to her is academic. The UK is not going to send British diplomats into a war zone. IF she gets to a British embassy or consulate (the nearest is in Turkey) she will be given advice and support even if the ultimate result is a trial in the UK for terrorism.

But now? She's in a refugee camp with thousands of others. Her fate depends on what she and other people can do to get her out of Syria.

Not if the mother is deprived of British citizenship for joining a terrorist organisation.

The whole question of what happens to her is academic. The UK is not going to send British diplomats into a war zone. IF she gets to a British embassy or consulate (the nearest is in Turkey) she will be given advice and support even if the ultimate result is a trial in the UK for terrorism.

But now? She's in a refugee camp with thousands of others. Her fate depends on what she and other people can do to get her out of Syria.

She's due when? How long will it take to legally strip her of citizenship? Given the timescale, I think it's more likely the kid is born British before she's been stripped.

Also, unless she's got joint citizenship, or has previously been a citizen of another country, doesn't that complicate matters? Making someone stateless?

She's due when? How long will it take to legally strip her of citizenship? Given the timescale, I think it's more likely the kid is born British before she's been stripped.

Also, unless she's got joint citizenship, or has previously been a citizen of another country, doesn't that complicate matters? Making someone stateless?

How long to strip citizenship? A couple of hours. perhaps. The Home Secretary has the power to do this for dual nationals. By marrying an ISIS fighter she has acquired dual nationality.

Mixed feelings here... She was only 15, and she's pregnant so the welfare of the baby needs consideration. But despite losing two children she's unrepentant, and she would probably indoctrinate her child.

See, this is exactly what I meant.

My gut reaction is to be SUPER judgy but like... she was a kid. It's so easy for kids to get indoctrinated. I can't really blame anyone for that. And she's trying to get out.

But god damn do I want to be a bitch. And I feel like a bad person for wanting to be a bitch.

This is something that no one who hasn't personally evaluated her has any business making any kind of judgement call on. Like this is the very definition of "Not my business".

How long to strip citizenship? A couple of hours. perhaps. The Home Secretary has the power to do this for dual nationals. By marrying an ISIS fighter she has acquired dual nationality.

I believe Og that the ISIS fighter she married has Dutch citizenship so possibly her rights as an EU person might come into play. :)

See, this is exactly what I meant.

My gut reaction is to be SUPER judgy but like... she was a kid. It's so easy for kids to get indoctrinated. I can't really blame anyone for that. And she's trying to get out.

But god damn do I want to be a bitch. And I feel like a bad person for wanting to be a bitch.

This is something that no one who hasn't personally evaluated her has any business making any kind of judgement call on. Like this is the very definition of "Not my business".

She only wants out because they're losing. She's said as much. She's not sorry she went.

I feel bad for the girl who was indoctrinated, but now she's a woman who poses a threat.

I don't feel the loathing and anger, I don't want to see some deluded teen in front of a firing squad, I just don't want her here.

Dual nationality is automatic by marriage?

Dual nationality is automatic by marriage?

3.jpg

portrait-of-a-woman-holding-a-passport-b7e6hp.jpg

Back