Both stories sent back with an accusation of using ChatGPT?!

At the moment I'm not concerned about my own stuff since I tend to be dialog-heavy. From the little AI-generated text I've read and also heard about from ChatGPT and its ilk, witty repartée is not a strong suit. My observation from comments on the forum is 3rd-person narrative is more likely than anything else to be snagged.

At the moment I'm not concerned about my own stuff since I tend to be dialog-heavy. From the little AI-generated text I've read and also heard about from ChatGPT and its ilk, witty repartée is not a strong suit. My observation from comments on the forum is 3rd-person narrative is more likely than anything else to be snagged.
That's super-cool for you.

Does it use slang? Do the checkers look for that?

I use a lot of Y'alls, fixin's, 'over yonders' and odd words like whatnots and thingamajigs.

An additional suggestion: Run your text through one of those AI detectors and let the Site know, and perhaps link to, the results to demonstrate that they have erred.

That's super-cool for you.

Well, okay. What I was trying to infer is writings in 3rd-person narrative where grammar rules are strictly followed and the style can be considered "dry" will be good candidates for being snagged by AI detectors, as fault-ridden as they currently are. From the other thread:

... We're using ChatGPT very heavily at work already, ...

Do you think that the correctness of AI-generated text might be influencing your dive into LitE prose? Like @jaF0 said, the occasional "ain't" or "gotcha" directly denotes "human source". At least until somebody writes the magical folksy-speak subroutine. At that point we're hosed.

Simple sentences, "She looked at him," are often flagged as "Doesn't sound like a human wrote it," on the detector I've used. I have an issue overcoming short simple sentences that flow well. But on total works, I've never scored less than 97% human, at the site I use.

The site I use is free and has about a 3,000-word limit. You have to scroll down the result side to see how far in the text it got. You cut everything above and check the remaining. And do so until you have checked everything. But in my work, it's mainly the short common sentences it flags. I don't know how accurate it is. I've never used any AI for anything.

AI Detector

The link above takes you to the site.

^^^ That goes back to what I said somewhere about people that learn English in overseas schools. They tend to write more formal and not use gonna's and hoo-doggies, or even drop the last g as in hangin' or learnin'. That's why I might be able to see their writings getting zinged by testers.

I noticed that you also post on CHYOA, so there's a possibility that if you're cross-posting stories from there you might be pinging the bot by having what appear to be very abrupt structural changes in the text wherever a branching path or node occurs, especially if the chapters are very short.
And, as noted by others, simplistic dialogue can also present issues. Writing believable dialogue is hard for a lot of authors, and especially hard for a computer (at least so far).

I've read stories written by AI. They're overly wordy, long sentences which don't flow well. The stories I read had characters jump in with an action or comment, and they disappear. They were, at best, middling to bad. All I can say about AI is don't, just don't go there. Write it yourself, edit it, don't try to be perfect. And for God's sake, don't have Jeff, the waiter say, "Oh, what a cute couple," to a coworker, and that be the only time you see or hear from him.

And for God's sake, don't have Jeff, the waiter say, "Oh, what a cute couple," to a coworker, and that be the only time you see or hear from him.
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!
Jeff (the waiter) was the only one who truly recognized the beauty that the pair shared. He is integral to THE story, but otherwise absent from THEIR story!

He is a like phantom, and while his statement has ostensibly no effect on their conscious decisions, the subconscious effect of his simple sentence will resonate within the back of their minds forever and...

Okay. I'll stop. 🤭

we do ask that all work published on the site at this time be created primarily by a human.

Hmm... very praiseworthy. I applaud such an attitude, absolutely and without reservation. A line has to be drawn.

Could we now, I wonder, direct this zeal of the site owners towards the ongoing takeover of the Visual Artists Corner by non-artists and their AI crap? It's becoming a home for saddo non-talents who are drowning out the real thing.

You do a very laudable impersonation of me. I'll cut it off there, lest I digress into a discussion about what BECAUSE really means and why the cause does not really mean anything. Or that the waiter was wearing an ill-fitting uniform that highlighted his lack of manhood, or that his coworker was laughing at his silly comment. Oh, wait, that's too much of me, isn't it?
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!
Jeff (the waiter) was the only one who truly recognized the beauty that the pair shared. He is integral to THE story, but otherwise absent from THEIR story!

He is a like phantom, and while his statement has ostensibly no effect on their conscious decisions, the subconscious effect of his simple sentence will resonate within the back of their minds forever and...

Okay. I'll stop. 🤭

Last edited:
^^^ That goes back to what I said somewhere about people that learn English in overseas schools. They tend to write more formal and not use gonna's and hoo-doggies, or even drop the last g as in hangin' or learnin'. That's why I might be able to see their writings getting zinged by testers.
They learn the language but not the vernacular.

It was similar when I took Spanish in high school. It wasn't a conversational class, so we mostly learn formal and 'correct' uses.

In many cases, learning the language is pretty straightforward, learning the vernacular, slang, and regional variations is the hard part.

It was similar when I took Spanish in high school. It wasn't a conversational class, so we mostly learn formal and 'correct' uses.

Yep. I didn't learn how to swear in Spanish until I lived in the barrio.

Oh, the one I seemed to have not forgotten ends with "...su madre!" That one brings out the knives and guns.

His Mother? Must have a dilly of meaning before it. Or is that wrong? Not that I speak much Spanish, but if I'm remembering right, that's what it says.
Oh, the one I seemed to have not forgotten ends with "...su madre!" That one brings out the knives and guns.

I imagine it to be something like 'Yo Mamma!!!' used to be at one point ... basically fightin' words.

Directly translated, “puta madre” means something similar to “mother fucker”. Though this expression can be used in many different ways, “de puta madre” is a great way of expressing a compliment. If you think something is “the shit” or “awesome” you would say “es de puta madre!”

That's about all the madre I know about.

Back