Bandit's Blurt and Vent Thread

Well....I'm now officially menopausal :mad:

After 3 months or more of horrible hot flashes and dripping sweat, I went to the doctor and am going to start HRT (Angeliq 1/2). The pill I am on doesn't seem to have enough estrogen to stop the hot flashes (30 micrograms as opposed to 1mg for the HRT pill).

This new pill is one which is taken continuously so I may end up having NO periods at all (yay for that!) but could also have irregular spotting/bleeding until my body gets used to it (which will be a pain in the bum for a while :rolleyes: ). However I'll do anything and put up with anything just so I can get rid of the horrible sweats.

:confused::confused:WHAT no mention that I had to nag you to go to the Docs:confused::confused:

:confused::confused:WHAT no mention that I had to nag you to go to the Docs:confused::confused:

*smiles* Yes Sir you certainly did nag me....:kiss:

I'm one of those people who thinks if I wait long enough things I think are not that serious will get better. I'm not used to having someone who cares about me enough to make sure I go and get checked out.

In NZ I lived at least a 40 minute drive from a doctor and hospital, so you really had to be sick to make the trip :rolleyes: Plus it cost money (around $15 was the cheapest) even if you were on a benefit/pension, whereas here doctor visits are totally covered by Medicare if you're a pensioner.

:eek: I am home on my own. For most of the day.
Sir has gone way out to Western Sydney/Blue Mountains to do some speedway stuff. He won't be home til late afternoon.

Because we are together most of the time it's strange when He's not here.....but I'll be able to watch the one day cricket this afternoon, use His computer to watch streamed TV show or two, and maybe even have a nap.

So I think I will survive.....just ;)

Got the letter from the hospital yesterday - colonoscopy is booked for the afternoon of March 16.
Stressing already. I had some very strange dreams last night. I really don't want to do this. I know I'm being silly, but I'm not used to being out of control of my body :rolleyes:

Got the letter from the hospital yesterday - colonoscopy is booked for the afternoon of March 16.
Stressing already. I had some very strange dreams last night. I really don't want to do this. I know I'm being silly, but I'm not used to being out of control of my body :rolleyes:

{{{{{Bandit}}}}} :kiss::heart:

By getting the procedure you are showing you are in control sweetie.

Oh and by the way, they aren't hot flashes, they are Power Surges. :)

{{{{{Bandit}}}}} :kiss::heart:

By getting the procedure you are showing you are in control sweetie.

Oh and by the way, they aren't hot flashes, they are Power Surges. :)

Thanks kayte :kiss:
I can count on one hand the times I have been in hospital, and that includes giving birth twice :) The last time was a tubal ligation 10 years ago.

I'm going to ask for the really good drugs....;)

I can count on one hand the times I have been in hospital, and that includes giving birth twice :) The last time was a tubal ligation 10 years ago.

:D:D:D

I have been taking the HRT for 5 days now. I'm amazed how much better I feel even after that short a time. NO hot flushes at all :)

The only down side is the price. Almost $45AU for one month's supply, and this was supposed to be a discount chemist :rolleyes:

From doing a bit of googling I've discovered that most methods of HRT are not on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Australia, which enables patients on welfare payments to get their medication at a concession rate rather than paying full price). The last couple of brands of pill were removed from the list 6 months ago and the only thing still on there are estrogen patches, which are not suitable for me because I still have my uterus.

Now I'm going to have a bit of a rant (well it is a vent thread after all ;) ). WHY is this medication, even just a couple of brands like the contraceptive pill is, not available on this list? It helps women feel well while they get through menopause. It helps prevent fractures because of osteoporosis. There's a slightly increased risk of heart attack, blood clots, strokes and breast cancer, but also a slightly reduced risk of hip fractures and bowel cancer.

I have heard of some women going off their medication because they are pensioners and they can't afford it. $45 a month, perhaps more for other brands I'm not sure, is a big bite out of a welfare payment. I'm lucky, even though I am on a pension I do have other funds I can access if I need to so my quality of life isn't going to suffer. But for a lot of other women it can come down to a choice between HRT and putting food on the table.

Unfair. The Health Minister is a woman, so she might be getting an email from me :)

I laughed my way through two lumber punctures, thanks to the drugs they gave me. Sheesh I was so chilled I didnt care what they did :)

I could do with some of that medication right now lol :eek:

From doing a bit of googling I've discovered that most methods of HRT are not on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Australia, which enables patients on welfare payments to get their medication at a concession rate rather than paying full price).

Now I'm going to have a bit of a rant (well it is a vent thread after all ;) ). WHY is this medication, even just a couple of brands like the contraceptive pill is, not available on this list?

Most likely, if it were happening to men, they would all be on the list and then some.:rolleyes:

Unfair. The Health Minister is a woman, so she might be getting an email from me :)

Yep, it is unfair and unhealthy, and in the long term most likely costs the government more through the health issues which women suffer because they could not afford the medication than if they had paid for the HRT. Unfortunately, most governments and politicians are not interested in thinking long term, just the length of term to the next election. I hope your email can make soemthing move in the right direction, but as the government is male dominated (and in Australia where there is a history of keeping female politicians in their place and out of positions of power if possible), it might take awhile.:mad:

Catalina

I have been taking the HRT for 5 days now. I'm amazed how much better I feel even after that short a time. NO hot flushes at all :)

The only down side is the price. Almost $45AU for one month's supply, and this was supposed to be a discount chemist :rolleyes:

From doing a bit of googling I've discovered that most methods of HRT are not on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in Australia, which enables patients on welfare payments to get their medication at a concession rate rather than paying full price). The last couple of brands of pill were removed from the list 6 months ago and the only thing still on there are estrogen patches, which are not suitable for me because I still have my uterus.

Now I'm going to have a bit of a rant (well it is a vent thread after all ;) ). WHY is this medication, even just a couple of brands like the contraceptive pill is, not available on this list? It helps women feel well while they get through menopause. It helps prevent fractures because of osteoporosis. There's a slightly increased risk of heart attack, blood clots, strokes and breast cancer, but also a slightly reduced risk of hip fractures and bowel cancer.

I have heard of some women going off their medication because they are pensioners and they can't afford it. $45 a month, perhaps more for other brands I'm not sure, is a big bite out of a welfare payment. I'm lucky, even though I am on a pension I do have other funds I can access if I need to so my quality of life isn't going to suffer. But for a lot of other women it can come down to a choice between HRT and putting food on the table.

{{{{{{{Bandit}}}}}} :kiss: :heart: I am sorry to hear it isn't covered in Oz. There are things in the States that aren't either. I do believe some forms of HRT are if I should ever need them. I haven't yet, knocks on wood. Maybe I will get through it ok.

I do hear you about people on limited incomes with no recourse. I am fortunate enough to have my pricey and all my meds covered, well sort of, on Medicare. But of course I do have to get through the "donut hole" here. And I am in that now. So like you I do have additional resources that do see me through that. This year the end of the "hole" is $4550 USD.

I agree that it is maddening what isn't covered for women vrs what is covered for men.

*HUGS and HUGS*

:rose::rose::rose:

I laughed my way through two lumber punctures, thanks to the drugs they gave me. Sheesh I was so chilled I didnt care what they did :)

I could do with some of that medication right now lol :eek:

Minx, I have trouble believing any one could laugh through lumber punctures but then again I'm a big wussy when it comes to MY pain.:(

My stress levels skyrocket any time I have to have anything like that done. :eek:

I agree that it is maddening what isn't covered for women vrs what is covered for men.

*HUGS and HUGS*

:rose::rose::rose:

I have big issues with the entire system of healthcare although it is so much better here that for those of you in the US because every Aussie can visit the GP for free although this to is under threat because the government of the time back in the 40s & 50s demanded the population explode to set our future & now the nation is pushing retirement age up to over 70yo yet employment for over 40yo is struggling with next to no chance of finding work so the entire system is straining to cope with the growing number of aged so first thing that gets cut is health.

As for BANDIT:heart: I think the new pills are doing her the world of good with her feeling so much better in her self so cost isn't an issue even if we need missout on some little pleasures when shopping.

Did she mention she has also lost weight?

Minx, I have trouble believing any one could laugh through lumber punctures but then again I'm a big wussy when it comes to MY pain.:(

My stress levels skyrocket any time I have to have anything like that done. :eek:

{{{{{Gil}}}}}} :kiss:

They can be something. I had to have some spinal fluid removed for a test years ago. I didn't get anything. It actually wasn't too bad at all. My neurologist did them himself. He didn't trust residents or nurses to do a good job of it. He did it very well.

I also didn't get too much warning. So no time to stress over it. Hope you don't have to do it again sweetie.

I have big issues with the entire system of healthcare although it is so much better here that for those of you in the US because every Aussie can visit the GP for free although this to is under threat because the government of the time back in the 40s & 50s demanded the population explode to set our future & now the nation is pushing retirement age up to over 70yo yet employment for over 40yo is struggling with next to no chance of finding work so the entire system is straining to cope with the growing number of aged so first thing that gets cut is health.

Sounds like you are describing the States too. :rolleyes:

As for BANDIT:heart: I think the new pills are doing her the world of good with her feeling so much better in her self so cost isn't an issue even if we need missout on some little pleasures when shopping.

Did she mention she has also lost weight?

{{{{{Gil}}}}}:kiss: That is so great to hear about {{{{{Bandit}}}}} :kiss:

{{{{{Gil}}}}}:kiss: That is so great to hear about {{{{{Bandit}}}}} :kiss:

BANDIT:heart: hasn't been neglecting this thread just no time to get on the net lately & I'm only on here because I'm an insomniac :rolleyes: I would much rather be snuggled up with BANDIT:heart: then here even though we both have made many wonderful friends here.

Expect BANDIT:heart: to drop in soon!

BANDIT:heart: hasn't been neglecting this thread just no time to get on the net lately & I'm only on here because I'm an insomniac :rolleyes: I would much rather be snuggled up with BANDIT:heart: then here even though we both have made many wonderful friends here.

Expect BANDIT:heart: to drop in soon!

I'm back - just had one of those times when I haven't had a lot to say :eek:

We had some dramas this morning with the dialysis machine and its air detector alarm :mad: However we did all the right things and after talking to one of the nurses at Sydney Dialysis it finally settled down. Dialysis machines don't like frothy bloody air bubbles in their bubble traps! :eek:

We have been dialysing every 2nd day for a while and while it is good for Sir to get the extra time, we've found we neglect ourselves....finding time to just be US can be a problem with everything else that has to be done. Still lots of cuddles and kisses (sshh ;) ) work wonders when there isn't time for much else.

Also counting down to my colonoscopy on the 16th....the MRI I had of my brain showed no aneurysms and we're both hoping the colonoscopy shows nothing untoward as well :)

{{{{{Gil}}}}}} :kiss:

They can be something. I had to have some spinal fluid removed for a test years ago. I didn't get anything. It actually wasn't too bad at all. My neurologist did them himself. He didn't trust residents or nurses to do a good job of it. He did it very well.

I also didn't get too much warning. So no time to stress over it. Hope you don't have to do it again sweetie.

{{{{{{Kayte}}}}}}

As I said I stress out everytime I have to get any procedure done in hospital :eek:

Sounds like you are describing the States too. :rolleyes:

My Cardio doc was telling me that it's got to start charging everyone here because of the growing number of aging ppl putting a strain on the health system, this is something & dread as I know so many will be neglecting their health simply because that can't afford it.

Our health system has been fantastic since it's introduction but as I said after the government spread the word to build up the population back in the 50s & 60s there is a massive drain on heath plus they keep cutting costs all the time with the patients being the ones who lose out.

Back