Arizona says 1864 law banning nearly all abortions is enforceable

Voter turnout in Arizona will be huge, and theyā€™ll vote to put abortion rights in the state constitution.

Those same voters are likely to flush away some MAGA candidates for elected office. Theyā€™re going to be crushed by their own pet issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/09/arizona-supreme-court-abortion-decision

Voters may be able to weigh in on the issue in November: abortion rights supporters in Arizona have spent months gathering signatures for a ballot measure to enshrine abortion rights into the state constitution, and the Tuesday decision raises the stakes for their efforts significantly. If it succeeds, the ballot measure would declare that people in Arizona have a ā€œfundamental right to abortionā€ and that the state will not try to curb that right before a pregnancy reaches fetal viability, which is generally pegged to about 24 weeks of pregnancy.

Although ballot measures need to amass 383,923 signatures by July to get on the ballot, the organizers behind the Arizona measure announced last week that they have gathered more than 500,000 signatures. They said that they planned to continue gathering signatures.

Arizona governor Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, said Tuesday was a ā€œdark dayā€ for the state and implored abortion rights supporters to make their voices heard in November.

Arizona enforcing a law on state's rights from a time when Arizona wasn't even a state.

Also, no education or voting for black Americans or votes for women, native Americans.

The truly insane thing about this is that abortion will be allowed to save the life of the mother, but there is no doctor who will risk his license or jail time to perform one. So it will be easier to jail a doctor for performing an abortion than letting a woman die through lack of treatment.

Yay.

Fucking idiot voters in 2016 could have avoided all of this bullshit. But, ya know, Roe wasn't in danger. It would be protected by precedent. The supreme court would never go back on precedent.

I can't tell you how many fucking men told me that. It made me realize that most men cannot be trusted to safeguard our country, our institutions and our society. Because they threw women under the bus and said we were over-reacting.

The rub? I've only seen one man acknowledge this. Just one. In over eight years. Most men cannot be trusted to safeguard the public trust. Not until they learn better. That's what I learned from this.

The truly insane thing about this is that abortion will be allowed to save the life of the mother, but there is no doctor who will risk his license or jail time to perform one. So it will be easier to jail a doctor for performing an abortion than letting a woman die through lack of treatment.

Yay.

Fucking idiot voters in 2016 could have avoided all of this bullshit. But, ya know, Roe wasn't in danger. It would be protected by precedent. The supreme court would never go back on precedent.

I can't tell you how many fucking men told me that. It made me realize that most men cannot be trusted to safeguard our country, our institutions and our society. Because they threw women under the bus and said we were over-reacting.

The rub? I've only seen one man acknowledge this. Just one. In over eight years. Most men cannot be trusted to safeguard the public trust. Not until they learn better. That's what I learned from this.

The horrific beauty of this law mirrors that of the Texas law signed into existence by Greg "Hotwheels Hitler" Abbott. A woman was carry a fetus with no brain ("Rightguide Syndrome") and wished to abort her fetus. This met the threshold in Texas but her OB doctor wanted pre-clearance from the courts so that his medical license would not be at risk.

The Texas Supreme Court, led by the Three Stooges, Jimmy, John and Jane, quickly said "no no no that's not the way it works here in Texas....You use your best judgement to DO the procedure, and we come along AFTER the fact and determine if you get to keep your license or go to jail".

No doctor in Texas is willing to work with that sort of career-ending bullshit, so Texas has essentially banned all abortion within the state.

Washington Post today remarks that a rather large percentage of Arizona voters (39%) are abortion single-issue voters.

This does not bode well for the nascent Trump Reich.

In fact, it all but assures that Arizona will be a blue state come November.

Pro-lifers are too ignorant to vote on the law. They clearly don't understand what all "anti-abortion" laws fully entail.

I thought I remember reading that even KARI LAKE of all people is saying Arizona's abortion ban is going too far, and that she doesn't support it. Which is rather telling. Normally, Lake is the type of politician who never misses a chance to ram more intrusive government down people's throat.

Ask again later.
Wycu1U1.png

Washington Post today remarks that a rather large percentage of Arizona voters (39%) are abortion single-issue voters.

This does not bode well for the nascent Trump Reich.

In fact, it all but assures that Arizona will be a blue state come November.

There are interesting differences between southern Republicans and western Republicans. The western ones arenā€™t dominated by fundamentalist baptists like the southern ones are.

Arizona Republicans dig their hole deeper. šŸ˜„

Arizona Republicans block abortion-ban repeal after denouncing court ruling

Republicans in Arizona halted an effort by Democrats on Wednesday to repeal an 1864 law banning almost all abortions, which the state supreme court this week ruled could go into effect.

The move came after Republican lawmakers in the state had denounced the courtā€™s decision, including some who previously expressed support for the law. Donald Trump and other high-profile Republicans, such as the Senate candidate Kari Lake, had also declared their opposition to the ruling with Lake urging lawmakers to ā€œcome up with an immediate commonsense solution that Arizonans can supportā€.

About 52% of the population which votes have XX chromosomes. Ignore them at your peril gentlemen!

Shouts of ā€˜Shame! Shame!ā€™ erupt in Arizona House as fight over abortion ban engulfs lawmakers​

The Arizona Legislature devolved into shouts of ā€œShame! Shame!ā€ on Wednesday as Republican lawmakers quickly shut down discussion on a proposed repeal of the stateā€™s newly revived 1864 law that criminalizes abortion throughout pregnancy unless a womanā€™s life is at risk.

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-abortion-ruling-1864-law-b43757f9a53848138c4d13e4315527ce

I wonder how many of these men who want to ban abortion have ever been pregnant. It is guaranteed they have zero interest in the well-being of women and society.

I thought I remember reading that even KARI LAKE of all people is saying Arizona's abortion ban is going too far, and that she doesn't support it. Which is rather telling. Normally, Lake is the type of politician who never misses a chance to ram more intrusive government down people's throat.

Back