Abuse in artistic expression - Game of Thrones and others

...why wasn't the show boycotted every single episode for violence against everybody?

I'm not boycotting because I'm fairly convinced it actually has nothing to do with the book anyway. I have read them over and over. Game of Thrones, the books, are superior writing. They're worth reading. He does excellent characterization, dialogue and plot.

Violence, rape, abuse, these things are historical and documented. Yes, HBO's Game of Thrones is exploitive and violent. No doubt. Why would you be watching it in the first place if you were upset by portrayals of things that happen in reality...plus dragons?

Trying to figure out the line here where you could have made it to the fifth season and now require a trigger warning.

That's about where I am on this. It's bizarre that 4 1/2 seasons into a series where all manner of terrible things happen on almost a weekly basis, THIS is where people have finally decided "OK, that's enough for me!"

I have to assume the reaction is mostly about Sansa as a character, the idea being that there ought to be at least one "good" person in GoT who will be able to go through the series without being a victim of violence, never mind that her parents and older brother were murdered so it's kind of late for that. But her rapist is probably the biggest sadist on a show that's filled with them. I assume we'll see him get his eventually, possibly by the end of this season (I'm not a book person). I wasn't expecting a tender deflowering.

Sure the rape was hard to watch -- it's supposed to be. But all the weird shit he's subjected Theon to has been hard to watch as well.

That's about where I am on this. It's bizarre that 4 1/2 seasons into a series where all manner of terrible things happen on almost a weekly basis, THIS is where people have finally decided "OK, that's enough for me!"

I have to assume the reaction is mostly about Sansa as a character, the idea being that there ought to be at least one "good" person in GoT who will be able to go through the series without being a victim of violence, never mind that her parents and older brother were murdered so it's kind of late for that. But her rapist is probably the biggest sadist on a show that's filled with them. I assume we'll see him get his eventually, possibly by the end of this season (I'm not a book person). I wasn't expecting a tender deflowering.

Sure the rape was hard to watch -- it's supposed to be. But all the weird shit he's subjected Theon to has been hard to watch as well.

I can't imagine anybody getting to book 4 and thinking "This person is safe."

I think the rewrite has to do with the fact that Sophie Turner is now famous because of the series and they'd like another hot queen. Otherwise she's stuck in the Aerie and we don't hear about her. Sansa is now made of wariness and not courage.

My guess is that the whole Jeyne storyline is trashed. We're really very close to the end of that storyline anyway, so who the hell knows.

One thing that puzzled me about the books was how the dragon queen story dragged out so long. It seemed to languish so long that I was shocked. It wasn't the best aspect of his overarching story line. On the other hand Arya has a fantastic story going and it should translate to TV quite well.

One thing that puzzled me about the books was how the dragon queen story dragged out so long. It seemed to languish so long that I was shocked. It wasn't the best aspect of his overarching story line. On the other hand Arya has a fantastic story going and it should translate to TV quite well.

I was truly bummed my first time through the fourth book, I didn't really GET that we weren't going to hear from some of my favorite guys, so all I thought before I caught on was "There is a real preponderance of Aria"

I do think that pretty much every story except for Jon Snow's and Jamie's gets entangled in what the fuck.

I also think that Davos Seaworth is pretty boring.

I was truly bummed my first time through the fourth book, I didn't really GET that we weren't going to hear from some of my favorite guys, so all I thought before I caught on was "There is a real preponderance of Aria"

I do think that pretty much every story except for Jon Snow's and Jamie's gets entangled in what the fuck.

I also think that Davos Seaworth is pretty boring.

The story line that kept me going was the dwarf and Jomar both being enslaved and performing for the queens wedding. I actually thought that was quite interesting. I will be the first in line if book six ever comes out, no doubt.

The story line that kept me going was the dwarf and Jomar both being enslaved and performing for the queens wedding. I actually thought that was quite interesting. I will be the first in line if book six ever comes out, no doubt.

Tyrion's story line is the most interesting and they of course sliced it out of the series.

Missing that whole storyline of getting the secret prince to Slaver's Bay is very cool. I will miss finding out whether or not his face melted.

When someone dies in that story now I just think "Maybe that was just a bad angle the character had, I'm not counting on it."

I still hope Ned's coming back.

Back