2009 challenge V1.a "Cup"

Which is your favorite erotic illustration solution for the word "cup"?

• 1. The Demon Drink

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 2. Quaiche

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 3. Interrogation

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 4. cuppa

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • 5. vessel

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It must be all that art graduate school leaking out but I personally really preferred #1. I have nothing against abstract art per se, and the poured silhouettes remind me of the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence in Fantasia, greatest of animated works.

1. The Demon Drink ~ by Quoll
attachment.php

The figures in the beaker/bottle are my fav part, but over all the creepiness waaaay offsets any erotic elemnent for me. The rendering technique does not move me.... except in the rib cage area... That is quite cool to me..though totally unerotic.:rolleyes:

I appreciate seeing teh diversity of interprations even if not my cup of tea...so to speak.:rolleyes:

2. Quaiche ~ by xxsve
attachment.php

ok.. I had to ask xxsve if "quaiche" was the title. He informed me...a special kind of shallow two-handled drinking cup or bowl in Scotland.

I dig the concept...the implied "Story", teh captured moment andt the rendering technique. There is just a bit of curious awkwardness to the poses or positioning...and the faces throw me off just a bit as well.

I do like that there is some depth with the cropped woman in the foreground. even if the architectural elements are slightly "goofy"...
I think xxsve's style is growing on me!:eek::D

3. interrogation ~ by irezumikiss
attachment.php

The Winner!

I think that anyone would be hard pressed to find fault wth irezumikiss's technique! He is quite skilled at rendering, anatomy, action, volume, characters and believable interaction of multiple figures.

I imagine viers are polarized by irezumi's choice in figures... they are not society's typical "ideal".... yet they are "idealized' in an almost fetish way. Full bodied..voluptuous "real" women... that are overtly sexual.

For me.... the most off putting thing is the cigarette!

I LOVE the "Whale tail" (exposed thong) and pulled up shirt.... the climax spray..quite tricky to capture! the WEIGHT of the breasts on the man's shoulders!

4. cuppa ~ by Austin8
attachment.php

a very close 2nd place!

I know austin felt this solution was a bit too "obvious" or "simple"...but taht is what I liked about it. The pose is nice good weight shift of the figure.... the compostion...with an accent of color on the literal cup.... the steam...... the openness of her "cup" (cunt) ...and implied heat there!

The only off putting bit for me is her lips (mouth)..or maybe it is the line of the cheek...?, but I voted for this one despite that small quibble.:D

5. vessel ~ by neci_please_me
attachment.php

neci_please_me's interpretation is rather Munch-like. or maybe a bit of Modigliani.

Lovely use of the black back ground contrasting the pale figure.

nice how understated the "cup" suggestin is...in the title, "vessel" and how the woman cups a breast and her mons simultaneously.

Though the anatomy is somewhat primitive, the "feeling" conveyed is sophisticated

The figures in the beaker/bottle are my fav part, but over all the creepiness waaaay offsets any erotic elemnent for me. The rendering technique does not move me.... except in the rib cage area... That is quite cool to me..though totally unerotic.:rolleyes:

I appreciate seeing teh diversity of interprations even if not my cup of tea...so to speak.:rolleyes:

What, you don't find demons sneaking in to our realm and stealing our women's lust for a late night drink erotic... ok point taken.:D

Well that will teach me not to go off half cocked, I saw the "cup" theme and new I had something to fit, completely ignored the erotic part, perhaps I should have gone with the original image from way back, although I still think it lacks a backstory.

attachment.php

Attachments

• botabl.jpg
    botabl.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 66
Except incubi and succubi are usually portrayed as sexy people with bat wings, fangs, spade-tipped tails, optionally claws, and some unusual skin color. That's hot. One of those pouring the silhouettes into the glass would have been very erotic. But a technicolor skeleton just doesn't say 'demon' to me.

4. cuppa ~ by Austin8
attachment.php

a very close 2nd place!

I actually voted for this one and not for myself. I didn't dislike my piece per sé, but...upon looking at this, it spoke more of the soft, sensual erotic I also like to look upon and favor to collect. Also, the design is balanced and point perfect. Nothing more need be added.

Interrogation was somewhat direct with stark whimsy —*it had been my initial concept and I ran with it...but I honestly felt it was substandard to Cuppa's erotic simplicity. No doubt others felt the same way with this close voting, so had I lost to Austin8, it wouldn't have been bitter in any way...in fact, I did honestly want Cuppa to win. When other people's works touch me (or molest me), they also spark up my own muse, challenging me to step up and vary my initial concepts and dream in diverse ways.

Thank you Irezumi, you know honestly, I really wanted to *add* something to this illustration, but the more I looked at her the more I thought she was right as is, and decided to leave well enough alone!

Your entry interrogation was just awsome! I recognized those ladies, your sense of movement in that piece was executed perfectly, worth the wait.

Thank you Irezumi, you know honestly, I really wanted to *add* something to this illustration, but the more I looked at her the more I thought she was right as is, and decided to leave well enough alone!

Your entry interrogation was just awsome! I recognized those ladies, your sense of movement in that piece was executed perfectly, worth the wait.

I'm glad you did (leave it alone).

you "recognized those ladies"? from where? are they Litsters?

Paying attention to details a bit better, the critiques are great! I enjoy commenting too...

Ok the "ladies" as a matter of fact! Hahaha, they are Listers!

attachment.php
I liked 'em all, but I voted for neci's, just something about it it I liked, the composition is excellent, and it's kind of soothing.

Quoll, yer stuff is out there man, very unique.

1. The Demon Drink ~ by Quoll
attachment.php

I liked the colors in the large figure and the way they are layered. The use of the bright colors are a good juxtaposition with the skeletal figure.

The small figures pouring out of the flask are intriguing and would like to have seen some more development there.

Overall the bench and the background were a bit distracting and were not as successful in developing the primary image. They didn't quite give the image depth but also not quite giving it a shallow depth of field.

You had mentioned that these had orginally been 2 separate images. What had been the concept or the motivation for them.

What medium did you use?

:rose:

2. Quaiche ~ by xxsve
attachment.php

ooooohh. quaiche is the cup.

I did find the name a bit distracting from the piece and I didn't think about looking it up. It is a cool looking cup. Does it have a special history or symbolism? If so it might have been cool to pull that into the picture story.

I really like that you play with different poses. [Sometime the poses are a bit awkward...I have had that problem too and turn to hapless family member to pose for reference photos. (luckily they never see the final xxx product lol)] There are aspects of these figures that aren't quite "correct," strictly speaking, in perspective and/or foreshortening. Is your intent is to show figures from several viewpoints? If so it might be helpful to push them a bit further.

Stylewise we each have our own preferences so from my perspective I would love seeing different line weights depending on how near the object is to the eye and how important the particular part is.

None of the things I mentioned detract from the feel of the picture, it shows the power/dominance imbalance well, eg. the man struggling, the women's confidence, the stone walls suggesting imprisonment. The powerful stride of the woman in the foreground is particularly dominant.

I think the wonky background perspective is throwing off the visual cues - the line at the bottom of the wall he's chained to (presumably) should angle down and to the right instead of up towards the right, among other things.

I'm trying to add more backgrounds, still a little tentative with them.

The foreground figure was kind of an afterthought, it needed something to balance the composition so I added another figure - the whole thing is very ad hoc, I just started drawing.

I had something very different in mind originally, more like the alternative sketch which would have been my entry had the deadline not been extended.

I need to work on backs more, I kind of overdid the back musculature.

Here's a quick fix - changing that one line made the whole thing a bit less distorted looking, although it didn't fix any anatomy issues.

The bit of background on the left is still miscuing and creates a bit of cognitive dissonance w/regard to the scale.

attachment.php

i did the picture in greytone soft pastels and a bit of charcoal.
i didn't vote for it, because i loved the Interrogation piece. :D
hehehehe i have met several comrades through my travels, and the picture made me smile very slyly.

I liked the colors in the large figure and the way they are layered. The use of the bright colors are a good juxtaposition with the skeletal figure.

The small figures pouring out of the flask are intriguing and would like to have seen some more development there.

Overall the bench and the background were a bit distracting and were not as successful in developing the primary image. They didn't quite give the image depth but also not quite giving it a shallow depth of field.

You had mentioned that these had orginally been 2 separate images. What had been the concept or the motivation for them.

What medium did you use?

I couldn't get past the *creepyness* factor of Quolls piece. But the thing that caught my attention were the figures being poured from the vile... they're mud flap girls!!

Ok, couldn't resist a final tweak, it's baked.

Here's a quick rough of what I originally attempted and failed to do, several times - couldn't get the hand right, still can't.

Back