Ladies who have been on Depo...

Ms_Lilith

Retired
Not really a How To, but it's a question I need the answer to.

When you first went on Depo, did you lose your period? Did you at any time after losing it, get it back while still on the shot?

I've been on the shot for 10 months now.. I'm not due for another one for another two months. I haven't had a period since I started taking the shot.

I went home to my parents over the weekend. My mother was just beginning her period and my best friend was as well... maybe I was influenced by their hormones (they say that women who hang out together have their period at the same time).

I've not had ANY spotting or anything since I've been on the shot.

This just seems weird.

Sound familiar to anyone?

If it helps...

Hiya, Vixenshe!

My wife went on depo shortly after the wedding and noticed that her heavy periods were reduced just to spotting. And that's all she's had for the better part of a couple of years. And rarely does she even get the cramping she used to. My sister has noticed this as well. Occassionally she'll bleed really light one day and then nothing for six months.

And as for synchronized periods, both wife and sister complained they started the same day this week. Again, not heavy, but the first they've noticed bleeding in months.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

I was on Depo for several months and got a period every month, but it was much lighter than usual.
Actually, I think having light or no periods is normal and apparently is one of the reasons some women choose this form of b/c.
Hope that helps!

I've been on it for a couple of years now, and lost my period altogether (except for maybe three instances of spotting). However, I also gained 30 lbs. I consider it not too bad a trade-off. Hated having a period. Uck.

Sabledrake

vixenshe said:

When you first went on Depo, did you lose your period? Did you at any time after losing it, get it back while still on the shot?

I've been on the shot for 10 months now.. I'm not due for another one for another two months. I haven't had a period since I started taking the shot.

I went home to my parents over the weekend. My mother was just beginning her period and my best friend was as well... maybe I was influenced by their hormones (they say that women who hang out together have their period at the same time).

This just seems weird.

I never had a period while on DP, and then when I stopped it, it took about 18 months to finally get it again.

I didn't have a thing..no spotting, nothing!

Re: Re: Ladies who have been on Depo...

Noneyabizness said:
I never had a period while on DP, and then when I stopped it, it took about 18 months to finally get it again.

I didn't have a thing..no spotting, nothing!

it was the same for me.

When I went on the Depo shot, I had minor spotting for like a week and then lost it altogether. I know that when I started on the Depo my doctor told me that there was a good chance that i wouldnt get my period anymore. So i would say that it is a very common occurrence. If you notice more spotting again soon, i would see the doctor, if not i'd not worry too much

I was on Depo for a while. I had a period every month, more painful and heavier than usual.

It's not worth the damage it does to your body.

I am assuming you folks are discussing Depo PROVERA and not Depo MEDROL

My periods were all fucked up while on Depo Provera myself. I was moody and depressed. I did some research and determined that it was not worth it. The main thing being that many women have not been able to conceive afterward. I want another child. For me, I am planning on trying the ring next time I go to my doc. (I did the patch and loved it..but...the band-aid sticky ring that develops around it is most unsexy!)

Well it is now day 8 of my 'period'. It's very light, still, but the cramps have been painful. I called my doctor today, and have an appointment for tomorrow, as the receptionist, who is a nurse, doesn't think this is normal.

vixenshe said:

That's kind of the reason I went on it. Of course I did, and I LOVED every second of it. Some women experience spotting, but the majority of women on it don't have their period at all. In fact, the one time I did start bleeding again, we adjusted my shot cycle so I would stop.

Sorry...I just reread your comments...

Yeah, that happened to my in my first year of the shot, at 10 months in. We just had to adjust my shot cycle from every 10-12 weeks to every 8 weeks...my body just processed the chemical too quickly.

I loved not having my period and didn't want to go off it...I just didn't have the cash to stay on it. I didn't experience the weight gain.

It takes a long time to get your period back...thank god. I HATE the bleeding and the mess and the cramps and the ickiness.

vixenshe said:

I occassionally had break through bleeding or spotting. Then nothing at all after the first year.

This just seems weird.

I cannot urge you enough to stop taking the Depo. I now have polycystic ovaries. My OBGYN told me the Depo helped to contribute to this problem. I have spent the last two years going back and forth to the OBGN trying to jump start my period due to small cysts on my ovaries. I know it sounds great not to have a period but the cysts hurt and occassionally burst. I am on a hormonal rollercoaster. If I'm not trying to start my period to avoid more cysts, then I'm trying to stop heavy bleeding that goes on for weeks without treatment.

Sounds all to familiar to me. I truly hope you seek out another alternative for birthcontrol. :rose:

vixenshe said:
Well it is now day 8 of my 'period'. It's very light, still, but the cramps have been painful. I called my doctor today, and have an appointment for tomorrow, as the receptionist, who is a nurse, doesn't think this is normal.

How'd your appt. go??

I have been on Depo for about three years now, and one of my primary reasons for being on it is that it stops my period pretty much completely. I do get some spotting toward the end of my cycle, when it's almost time for my next shot. In the past month I've also noticed some minor spotting (I'm not due for another shot for a full month), and that was synchronized with my girlfriend's menstruation.

depo disaster

Was given 1 depo shot for excessive bleeding in hopes of getting it to stop. It stopped alright.. for 10 months. I enjoyed it while it lasted but required medicine to start normal periods again. If you dont have at least 4 periods a year you increase yoru odds of endometrial cancer by 75%. With poly cyctic overy disease I can often go more then 3 months without a period. After missing 3 I take a pill to start one again. No cancer for me thanks.

Can you give a cite for that, virgin_so_far? I've heard the claim but I've never found any evidence that it's true.

Sorry didn't get it from a site.. was informed by my ob/gyn and later learned it while in nursing school. Not just cancer but osteoperosis and fertility problems as well.

Re: depo disaster

virgin_so_far said:
Was given 1 depo shot for excessive bleeding in hopes of getting it to stop. It stopped alright.. for 10 months. I enjoyed it while it lasted but required medicine to start normal periods again. If you dont have at least 4 periods a year you increase yoru odds of endometrial cancer by 75%. With poly cyctic overy disease I can often go more then 3 months without a period. After missing 3 I take a pill to start one again. No cancer for me thanks.

That does not apply to when a person is on birth control. In fact now, there are studies underway to show it is okay to be on birth control for a year continously, and it would be perfectly safe.

If you aren't on any medication, then yes, it is not safe to miss periods for more than three months at a time, as it does increase your risk of endometrial cancer.

Etoile said:
Okay, now I'm confused. I thought Depo is birth control??

Depo IS birth control. You were making a comment that you can't be without a period for more than four months without the risk of endometrial cancer. I was saying this does *not* apply when one is on birth control, such as depoprovera, continous birth control pills, the patch, etc.

Aha! Okay, I get it now. That wasn't my comment, by the way, but I do understand now.

It's no big deal :)
Just had me confused for a minute while I figured out you weren't responding to me!

I am due for my second injection tomorrow. I have had one period since the first shot. I must say I enjoy not having them tremendously! I've had no side effects so far, so I am pleased with this method.

Back