Do you supersize your thunder thighs at the drive up?

Basics of cast iron still the #1 download......128 smart people out there..... :D
 
Southwestern Style Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:
10 eggs
1 small cans green chiles, chopped
1 pound cooked breakfast sausage
1 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
1 onion, diced
1green pepper, diced

Directions:

Spray crockpot with Pam. Starting with sausage, layer meat, chiles, onions, peppers, and cheese, repeating the layering process until all ingredients are used and ending with a layer of cheese. Beat eggs, then pour over mixture in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

This recipe for Southwestern Style Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole serves/makes 6
 
Apple Potato and Smoked Bacon Hash

Ingredients:
2 Russet potatoes, peeled
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
3 slices smoked bacon, diced
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Cut the peeled potatoes in half. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes just become tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes, cover and refrigerate overnight. Note: this allows the starch in the potatoes to "relax" and cool, resulting in a crispy potato when sauteed on day #2.

The next day cut the potatoes into 1/4" dice. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the diced bacon and saute until brown and crispy. Drain the bacon on a paper towel. Reserve the bacon fat.

In the same skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Add the potatoes and saute until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes. Add the diced apple, onion and bacon. Continue to cook and add the thyme, sage, salt, and pepper to taste. Add the chicken broth and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Serve the hash in a large casserole dish.

This recipe for Apple Potato and Smoked Bacon Hash serves/makes 2
 
Breakfast Scramble

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups potatoes, peeled, diced
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (14 1/2 oz. size) diced tomatoes, undrained
4 eggs, beaten
4 slices American Cheese

Directions:

In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain fat. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Add tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Pour eggs over mixture. Cook and stir until eggs are completely set. Top with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.

This recipe for Breakfast Scramble serves/makes 6
 
Oven Baked Pepper Bacon

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pound sliced lean bacon
2 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange bacon slices in 2 jelly roll or shallow roasting pans, overlapping the lean edge of each slice with the fat edge of the next.

Evenly sprinkle pepper over bacon slices. Place pans on 2 oven racks and bake 25 minutes, switching pans between upper and lower racks halfway through the baking, or until bacon is golden brown and crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

This recipe for Oven Baked Pepper Bacon serves/makes 12
 
starrynightin64 said:
I still find it hard to believe that many people still own cast iron :)


just the ones that don't have a teflon soaked brain...... :D
 
Green Onion and Apple Sausage

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, finely diced
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 lemon, juice of

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, form into 3/4 inch thick patties. In a cast iron skillet over moderate heat, cook sausage until center is no longer pink.

This recipe for Green Onion and Apple Sausage serves/makes 1.5 lbs
 
Maple Orange Glazed Sausages

Ingredients:
2 packages (6.4-oz. size) pork or turkey breakfast sausage links
1/3 cup Orange juice
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon Grated orange peel

Directions:

In medium skillet, combine sausage links and orange juice. Cover; cook over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until sausages are thoroughly heated.

Stir in syrup and orange peel; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. To serve, spoon glaze over sausages.

This recipe for Maple Orange Glazed Sausages serves/makes 4
 
Spicy Oven Roasted Bacon

Ingredients:
1 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
2 teaspoons ground coriander
20 slices thick-sliced bacon
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two rimmed 15"x11" baking pans with foil. Place a cooling rack on the foil on each.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, chili powder, ground cumin, cumin seeds, coriander and cayenne. Spread some of the mixture out on a piece of wax paper and form into a 12-inch square.

Lay the bacon on the mixture in strips and press down to coat heavily. Lay strips, barely touching, on the racks over the foil.

Bake one batch at a time for 12 minutes. Turn the bacon over with tongs and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until the bacon looks deep brown, but not burned.

Remove from the oven and immediately move the strips to a plate covered with paper towels.

Do the same with the other pan of bacon. Keep the bacon in a warm oven until used. If not removed from the racks soon, the bacon will stick to the rack.

This recipe for Spicy Oven Roasted Bacon serves/makes 20 slices
 
Sugar Bacon

Ingredients:
18 thick slices best quality bacon
1/2 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons mild mustard

Directions:

In a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, fry the bacon, turning once, until it just begins to become crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and the mustard. Return the bacon to the skillet or griddle and reduce the heat to low. Brush the sugar mixture over the bacon and continue to cook, turning once, until the bacon is well browned and firm. Serve at once.

Don't cover the bacon to keep it warm, or it will become sticky and gooey.

This recipe for Sugar Bacon serves/makes 6
 
Cooked Cornmeal Mush

Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cold tap water
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot tap water

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the corn- meal and cold tap water. Meanwhile, in a 2 quart pan, combine the salt and hot water. Bring it to a boil over high heat. While the water is heating, add the cornmeal mixed with the cold water. Combining the cornmeal with cool water before adding it to the boiling water keeps the cornmeal from lumping up when it hits the hot water. When the water and cornmeal boil, reduce the heat to low. Allow the mush to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it is nicely thickened. If your cornmeal is less than fresh, you may add half a tablespoon of sugar to make it taste fresher and sweeter. This is very hearty for breakfast, and also makes a nice snack in the middle of the day. I like it with a little margarine and shredded cheese, but it is equally good with sugar or molasses and milk.

This recipe for Cooked Cornmeal Mush serves/makes 4
 
Bacon And Hashbrown Bake

Ingredients:
4 cups grated cooked potatoes
12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Directions:

In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie plate. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350*F for 35-45 minutes, or until lightly browned.

This recipe for Bacon And Hashbrown Bake serves/makes 6
 
Crispy Potato Quiche

Ingredients:
1 package (24-ounce size) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1 1/3 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup grated hot pepper cheese
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 cup diced cooked ham
1/2 cup half & half
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Press hash browns between paper towels to remove moisture. Press hash browns into a greased 10-inch pie pan, forming a solid crust. Brush with melted butter, especially the top edges. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove and cool slightly.

Lower oven temperature to 350°F. Spread hot pepper and Swiss cheese and ham evenly over potato crust. Beat half & half, eggs and salt; pour over cheese and ham. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This recipe for Crispy Potato Quiche serves/makes 6
 
Sausage Muffins

Ingredients:
1 pound hot sausage
1 pound mild sausage
2 jars Old English Cheddar Cheese
10 English muffins, split

Directions:

Brown and drain sausage. Mix with cheese and spread on muffin halves. Freeze. Take out 10 minutes before baking. Bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
 
Bacon And Egg Sandwiches With Roasted Peppers

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 sweet onion -- halved and thinly sliced
4 ounces Canadian bacon -- cut into 1/8-inch cubes
1 red bell pepper -- roasted, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
8 eggs -- lightly beaten
2 tablespoons whole milk salt and black pepper -- to taste
4 ounces Italian fontina cheese -- cut into 1/8-inch cubes
4 English muffins -- split and toasted

Directions:

In a 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned skillet, melt the butter and cook the onion over medium heat, stiring often, for 10 minutes or until it softens. Add the bacon and roasted pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper.

Add the egg mixture to the vegetables and bacon and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the bottom and sides of the mixture begin to set but the center is still runny. Sprinkle the fontina cheese over the top. Continue to stir the egg mixture until the cheese begins to melt.

Arrange a split English muffin on each individual plate. Spoon the egg mixture on top and serve at once.

This recipe for Bacon And Egg Sandwiches With Roasted Peppers serves/makes 4
 
Back
Top