Do you supersize your thunder thighs at the drive up?

Lamb And Tomato Casserole

Ingredients:
1 pound shoulder lamb
1 ounce butter
1/2 ounce plain flour
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
4 ounces canned tomatoes
1/2 large onion
1 tablespoon oil
1/8 pint beef stock
Salt and Pepper -- to taste

Directions:

Cut the lamb into 1-inch cubes and chop the onions. Cook in the butter and oil until the onions are soft and golden and the lamb is lightly browned. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.

Add seasoning, marjoram, stock and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to the boil, stirring well. Pour into crockpot, cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, then on LOW for 6 to 7 hours.

This recipe for Lamb And Tomato Casserole serves/makes 4
 
Loaded Baked Potato Salad

5 lbs small unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
1tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 LB sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium vidalia or sweet onion, chopped
3 dill pickles, chopped
1 1/2 sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
2-3 tsp prepared mustard

Place potatoes in a greased baking pan, sprinkle with salt & petter and bake, uncovered at 425 for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Cool in pan on wire rack. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, bacon, cheese, onion and pickles. In a small bowl combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard. pour over the potato mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

This makes a HUGE batch of potato salad, so you may want to cut the ingredients in half.
 
LAMB GRILLING TIPS
Lamb is naturally fattier than other meats, so trim it well before placing it on the grill to minimize the risk of flare-ups.

Choose lamb that is light red with bones that are slightly pink rather than white.

Ground lamb, like other ground meats, is safe cooked to an internal temperature of 160 F (medium doneness). For other cuts, cooking to an internal temperature of 145 F (medium-rare) is safe and preferred by most people.

When you grill rack of lamb, cover the bones with foil to prevent them from scorching.
 
Breaded Lamb Chops with Grilled Vegetables and Polenta

This family-style recipe embodies the splendor of home cooking: simple, yet oh so tasty.

For the vegetables:

1 14-oz can artichoke hearts
4 plum tomatoes, cut in half
2 baby eggplants, cut in half
1 small onion, divided into four wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup chicken broth

For the polenta:

3 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup instant polenta
1/2 cup sour cream

For the chops:

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

8 lamb chops, about 1-1/2" thick


To make the vegetables: In a large bowl, combine artichokes, tomatoes, eggplant, and onion with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, vinegar, and lemon juice. Let marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Remove vegetables from the bowl, shaking off excess marinade. Grill over Direct Medium heat for 6 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from grill and chop roughly. Put vegetables in a medium saucepan and add the chicken broth. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.

To prepare the polenta: In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and butter; bring to a boil. Add polenta and stir well. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes, covered. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

To grill the chops: In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Roll each lamb chop in the breadcrumb mixture. Grill chops over Direct Medium heat for 9 minutes for medium-rare, turning once halfway through grilling time. Serve with creamy polenta and grilled vegetables.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Ginger and Port Lamb Rib Chops

Use either dark or light port wine for this delicious recipe. Serve with grilled green onions and a wild rice pilaf for an elegant meal.

For the sauce:

1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup catsup
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup port wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon steak sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 tablespoon packed brown sugar

8 lamb rib chops, cut 1 inch thick and trimmed


In a saucepan combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Process in a blender or food processor until smooth. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use or up to 3 weeks.

Let the chops sit at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Separate and set aside about half of the sauce for basting the chops (the remaining sauce will be warmed for service). Brush each chop on both sides with some sauce and grill over direct medium heat until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning and basting with the sauce once. Warm the remaining sauce and serve with the chops.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Rack of Lamb with Orange-Cranberry Chutney

From: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

Lay the racks on their sides to get as much surface area on the cooking grate as possible. During grilling, the marinade forms an herb crust that underscores the sweetness of the lamb. The tangy chutney offers just enough bite to cut the meat’s richness. Beautiful.

For the paste:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 racks of lamb, 1 to 1-1/2 pounds each, frenched

For the chutney:

1 cup sun-dried cranberries
1/2 cup cranberry juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cranberry jelly
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch ground cinnamon


To make the paste: In a small bowl mix together the paste ingredients.

Spread the paste all over the lamb racks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 8 hours.

To make the chutney: In a medium saucepan combine the chutney ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries are plump and juicy and the chutney has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Loosely cover the bones of the racks of lamb with aluminum foil to keep them from burning. Grill over Direct Medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 145°F and the lamb is medium rare, 20 to 30 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into chops. Serve hot with the chutney.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Rosemary Lamb Chops with Grill-Roasted Potatoes

The juices that drip from lamb chops through a sizzling hot grate turn to a type of smokiness that makes serious carnivores a little weak in the knees. Here we brush the chops with extra-virgin olive oil and a savory medley of garlic and fresh herbs for an authentic taste of Italy.

For the seasoning:

1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 pounds new potatoes, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter, washed and quartered
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing the chops

8 lamb loin chops, about 4 ounces each and 1-1/4 inches thick, trimmed of excess fat


To make the seasoning: Place the chopped garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle the salt on top. Using the side of a knife, crush the garlic and salt together to create a paste. Add the rest of the seasoning ingredients and chop them together for even distribution.

Place the cut potatoes in a medium bowl. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top and add about half of the seasoning mixture. Stir the potatoes to evenly coat them. Grill the potatoes over Direct Medium heat until tender and browned on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove the potatoes from the grill and keep them warm while you grill the lamb.

Lightly brush or spray the lamb chops on both sides with olive oil. Use the remaining half of the seasoning mixture to spread on both sides of the lamb chops. Grill the lamb chops over Direct Medium heat until medium rare, 9 to 11 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Serve warm with the potatoes.

Makes 4 servings
 
Pepper-Crusted Lamb Kabobs with Tomatillos and Eggplant

An invigorating spectrum of flavors tantalize all the senses in this special kabob recipe. A warm coriander vinaigrette pulls it all together deliciously.

For the coriander vinaigrette:

1/4 cup olive oil
3 shallots, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
6 tablespoons chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
Salt and pepper

For the kabobs:

1 small eggplant (about 6 oz), cut into 1- inch cubes

Salt
1 pound lamb (from the leg) cut into 2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon coarsely crushed pink peppercorns
1 tablespoon coarsely crushed black peppercorns
4 to 5 slices of lean bacon, cut in half crosswise
3 tomatillos, seeded and quartered
Salt and pepper
4 12-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Oil for brushing skewers


To make the vinaigrette: In a medium sauté pan, heat oil. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, coriander, parsley, thyme, and rosemary. Mix well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and set aside for 1 hour to blend flavors.

To make the kabobs: Lightly salt cubed eggplant and place in a colander set over a plate. Set aside for 1 hour to draw out the bitter juices. Rinse well and place on paper towels to dry.

In a medium bowl, toss cubed lamb with crushed peppercorns. Wrap each bacon strip around one or two cubes of eggplant until all the eggplant and bacon is used. Skewer kabobs by alternating crusted lamb, eggplant with bacon, then tomatillos. Brush skewers lightly with oil and place in center of cooking grate. Grill for 6 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked, turning every 1 1/2 minutes during cooking time. Meanwhile, warm vinaigrette over low heat. Place kabobs on a platter, drizzle with warm vinaigrette, and serve with rice pilaf.

Makes 4 servings.
 
koalabear said:
It's from my new line of crotchless aprons.......... ;) :p :D


Swirl for me and strike a pose....let me get a good look at it....I may want to have one for myself. :D
 
hdlynnette said:
Swirl for me and strike a pose....let me get a good look at it....I may want to have one for myself. :D


swirl?......not likely....only thing that swirls on me is my tongue....... ;)
 
Grilled Apple Chicken

Courtesy of: National Chicken Council

8 boneless, skinless breasts
12 ounce container frozen apple juice
1/3 c. honey
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon
3 large Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into thick rings

Preheat grill to medium (if using gas grill), or until charcoal is covered with gray ash and is medium-hot. In a small saucepan, combine apple juice concentrate, honey, lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes). Set aside 1 c. of mixture to serve as sauce; use remaining for basting. Arrange apple rings on grill and brush with basting sauce. Grill for 8 minutes, basting often. Turn apple rings over, baste again and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, basting often. Meanwhile, place chicken on grill. Brush with basting sauce. Grill for 5 minutes (10 minutes if frozen), basting often. Turn chicken over and baste
again. Basting often, grill for 5 to 7 minutes more (10 to 15 minutes if frozen) or until internal juices run clear. Discard leftover basting sauce. Serve chicken and apples with reserved sauce.
 
Braised American Lamb Leg


Ingredients:
# 1 Boneless American Lamb Leg
# 2 oz Fresh Rosemary
# 2 oz Fresh Thyme
# 1 oz Fresh Sage
# 20 each Garlic Cloves
# 4 each Bay leaves
# 10 each Pepper corns
# 2 T Salt
# 1 T pepper, fresh ground
# 1 gal Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions:

Blend half of the fresh herbs, 5 garlic cloves with 1 1/2 quarts of olive oil. Rub the lamb with the mixture and allow to sit overnight. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Season the lamb with salt and ground pepper and sear in a hot pan big enough to hold the lamb until golden brown. Add the remaining ingredients, make sure the lamb is covered with the oil. Cover the pan with foil and cook for 12 hours.
 
This one is great for tricking kids into eating veges.

Vegetable Slice

6 rashers bacon
1 1/2 cups cheese, grated
3 large zucchini, grated
2 carrots, grated
1 cup SR flour
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1 large onion
1 cup corn

Preheat oven to 180 deg
Cook bacon and onion in pan.
Combine all other ingredients in a bowl.
Press into oven tray and cook for 45 mins to 1 hour.
 
Grilled Lamb Chops

Ask your butcher to ;french; your lamb chops-remove the excess fat from the rib bone-or do it at home by rubbing the blade of a knife along the rib bone.
Ingredients

Serving: Makes 2 servings

* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
* Grated zest of 1 lemon
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 6 rib lamb chops, about 1 1/4 pounds, frenched
* Canola oil, for grill pan

Directions

1. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, cilantro, parsley, red-pepper flakes, lemon zest, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste. Season lamb chops with salt, and coat well with herb paste. Let rest for 15 minutes.
2. Oil grill pan with a paper towel dampened with canola oil. Place lamb chops on heated pan, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side for rare.
 
Herbed Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 6

* 1 cup dry red wine
* 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 garlic, chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
* Butterflied leg of lamb, (4 to 5 pounds)
* Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. In a glass bowl, combine wine, vinegar, garlic, mint, thyme, parsley, and salt. Mix well to combine.
2. Season both sides of the lamb with salt and pepper. Place lamb in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Pour marinade over meat, turning to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill, arranging coals for indirect cooking. Lightly coat rack with cooking spray; coals should be hot.
4. Remove lamb from marinade; pat dry. Place lamb on hottest part of grill; sear for 5 minutes per side. Move lamb to the cooler part of the grill, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn over; cover grill. For medium-rare, cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 degrees;, 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove from grill, and let lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve.
 
Lemon-Garlic Lamb Kabobs

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 4

* 1 1/2 pounds leg of lamb, well-trimmed and cut into 20 equal cubes (about 1 inch each)
* 8 thin lemon wedges
* 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for grill
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* Feta Dipping Sauce
* Fresh parsley sprigs, for serving (optional)

Directions

1. Heat grill to high. Assemble 4 long skewers, alternating 5 lamb cubes with 2 lemon wedges on each. Arrange skewers in a nonmetallic dish.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Pour marinade over skewers; turn to coat. Let stand at least 5 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lightly oil grates (see Kabob Tips). Place skewers on grill; cover grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until grill marks are visible and meat is cooked to desired doneness, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. (The lemon wedges caramelize on the grill, making them slightly sweet. When serving the skewers, squeeze the lemon juice over the lamb for added flavor.) Serve with sauce, and garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
 
Curried Lamb Kabobs with Cherry Tomatoes and Red Onions
Ingredients

Serving: Makes 8

* 1 garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, chopped
* 2 pounds lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1 pound cherry tomatoes, mixed colors
* 4 small red onions, cut into 8 wedges
* 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt

Directions

1. Whisk together garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, oregano, 4 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and mint in a small bowl. Add lamb. Toss to coat; refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Thread 4 cubes of lamb, alternating with tomatoes and onion, on each of 8 skewers. Brush with some of the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Arrange skewers, off direct heat, on a medium-hot grill. Grill, rotating skewers and brushing with olive oil as necessary to prevent sticking, until lamb is cooked through but pink inside, about 8 minutes, depending on heat of grill. Vegetables should be soft. Serve with condiments.
 
GRILLED ZUCCHINI
Ingredients

Serving: Serves 10

* 10 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
* Coarse salt, (to taste)
* Freshly ground black pepper, (to taste)

Directions

1. Place slices of zucchini on the heated grill. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle garlic over zucchini. Cook over low heat until tender and golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
 
Grilled Tomatoes
Ingredients

Serving: Makes 1 quart

* 3 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and halved
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

1. Heat grill to high. In a bowl, toss tomatoes, olive oil and thyme. Season generously with salt and pepper.
2. Starting with cut sides down, grill tomatoes until soft and charred, 8 to 12 minutes per side.
3. Return tomatoes to bowl; cut into rough pieces with kitchen shears.
 
Grilled Zucchini and Squash

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 4

* 2 zucchini, (about 1 pound)
* 2 yellow squash, (about 1 pound)
* 2 yellow bell peppers, seeds and ribs removed
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* Salt and pepper
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil

Directions

1. Heat grill to medium. Slice zucchini and squash 1/2 inch thick diagonally. Quarter bell peppers.
2. In a large bowl, toss vegetables with oil; season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill vegetables until tender, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
4. Return vegetables to bowl; toss with basil.
 
Back
Top