Do you supersize your thunder thighs at the drive up?

Grilled Pizza with Pears, Goat Cheese, Almonds, and Cranberries

At first, you might not expect these ingredients on a pizza, but on second thought, they are really just fruit, cheese, and nuts served with bread. Sounds like a nice cheese course for an imaginative dinner party!

For the dough:

1 envelope active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Extra-virgin olive oil

For the toppings:

1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large pears, quartered and cored
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dried cranberries


To prepare the dough: In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and water. Stir once and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of the flour, the salt, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir until the dough holds together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Turn the ball to cover the surface with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

To prepare the toppings: In a medium bowl, thoroughly blend the goat cheese, cream cheese, and thyme. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, toast the almonds until golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Lightly brush the pear quarters with melted butter, sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon, and grill over Direct Medium heat until tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning twice during grilling time. Remove from the grill and let cool. Cut the pears lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices.

Punch down the dough in the bowl. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece into a round about 8 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Lightly brush both sides of each round with olive oil and place on the back of two baking sheets.

Gently slide the crusts from the baking sheets and grill over Direct Medium heat until the crusts are marked on the underside, 1 to 3 minutes, rotating the crusts occasionally for even cooking. Don't worry if the crusts bubble; they will deflate when turned over. Transfer the crusts from the cooking grate to the back of the baking sheets, with the grilled sides facing up.

Spread 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Arrange the sliced pears on top. Sprinkle the chopped almonds and cranberries over the pears. Transfer the pizzas from the baking sheets to the cooking grate. Grill until the crusts are crisp, 2 to 4 minutes, rotating the crusts occasionally for even cooking. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 4 small pizzas.
 
Grilled Peaches with Fresh Cherry Sauce

From: Weber's Art of the Grill

In the late 1800s, famous French chef Auguste Escoffier created a dessert for Dame Nellie Melba, a celebrated Australian opera singer. Called peach Melba, the immediately popular recipe consisted of poached peaches, vanilla ice cream, and raspberry sauce. Here is a twist on that classic summertime dish.

For the sauce:

1 pound dark cherries, pitted (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon kirsch (cherry liqueur)

For the peaches:

4 medium peaches
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup vanilla ice cream
4 cookies


To make the cherry sauce: In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, combine the pitted cherries, sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée until completely smooth. Return the mixture to the sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the kirsch. Simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 1 to 2 minutes.

Cut the peaches in half and remove and discard the pits. Place the halves in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter and brown sugar together. Coat the peaches with the butter mixture. Grill the peaches over Direct Medium heat until grill marks are clearly visible and the peaches are soft, 10 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.

While the peaches are still warm, layer each serving glass with 2 peach halves, 1 scoop ice cream, and 1 tablespoon cherry sauce. Tuck a cookie into each glass. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Pineapple Wedges with Citrus-Butter Glaze

The trickiest part of this recipe is cutting the pineapple, and that’s a cinch, so keep the grill lit and delight your guests with this tropical finale.

For the glaze:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

1 ripe pineapple


To prepare the glaze: In a small saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients and place the pan over medium heat until the butter and sugar have melted, stirring occasionally.

Lie the pineapple on its side. Using a large, sharp knife, trim about 1 inch from the bottom of the pineapple. Cut the rest of the pineapple, including the crown of leaves, in half lengthwise. Then cut each half in half, being careful to keep some the crown attached to each wedge. Using a brush, spread some of the glaze over the flesh.

Grill the pineapple wedges over Direct Medium heat on all three sides until they are warm, about 9 minutes, turning every 3 minutes. Remove from the grill. Starting at the bottom end of each pineapple wedge and holding the blade of the knife parallel to the work surface, make a cut between the flesh of the pineapple and the outer shell, and continue the cut along the full length of the shell. With the flesh still resting in the shell, cut the flesh in bite-sized pieces. Brush the remaining glaze over the pineapple and allow it to drip down between the pieces. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Paradise Grilled

From: Weber's Big Book of Grilling

Pepper on pineapple? Yes! It adds an exciting burst of flavor to the juicy fruit. The quality/freshness of the pineapple is all-important.

For the glaze:

3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

4 slices fresh pineapple, about 1/2 inch thick each
1 teaspoon cracked dried green peppercorns or cracked black peppercorns

4 scoops vanilla ice cream


To make the glaze: In a small saucepan combine the glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Keep the glaze warm or reheat when ready to serve.

Season both sides of the pineapple slices with the peppercorns. Grill over Indirect Medium heat until well marked, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Serve each pineapple slice with a scoop of ice cream and some of the glaze drizzled over the top.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Bananas Calypso

For a dramatic, festive finale, try this flaming tropical dessert.



1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 firm bananas, peeled
1/3 cup dark rum
4 scoops ice cream


In a small bowl combine sugar, melted butter, lime juice, and cinnamon. Brush bananas with about 1/4 cup of butter mixture.

Place bananas on center of cooking grate. Grill 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling. Slice grilled bananas and place slices in a flameproof dish. Pour remaining 1/2 cup butter mixture into dish. Place dish on center of cooking grate. Cook 5 minutes. Remove dish from grill. Quickly pour rum over bananas. Light rum with long kitchen matches. After flames die out, serve immediately over ice cream.

Makes 4 servings.

Note: For another tropical treat, you can substitute 2 semi-firm mangos for the bananas. Peel and cut into 1-inch thick slices.
 
Apples with Crumb Topping

Crumb topping is a favorite on almost any dessert, but wait until you try it on grilled apples. Use apples that are good for baking such as Winesap, Rome Beauty, or Granny Smith.

For the topping:

1/2 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans

4 large baking apples, halved crosswise through the center, cored
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 cup heavy cream


To make the topping: In a medium bowl combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter and work it in evenly with a fork or your fingertips. The crumbles should be the size of peas. Stir in the pecans. Set aside.

Brush the cut side of the apples with the melted butter. Arrange the apples cut side down on the grill and cook over Direct Medium heat for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from the grill.

Mound the topping over the cut side of the apples, distributing evenly. Return apples to the grill and continue grilling over Direct Medium heat until the topping is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with the heavy cream drizzled over the apples.

Makes 4 servings.
 
Gypsybyrd said:
LMAO ... stuffed with the AV? please? pretty please? with sugar on top? :D :D


*best prepared on the kitchen table*......Hmmmmmmmm..caramel glaze maybe... :p
 
koalabear said:
*best prepared on the kitchen table*......Hmmmmmmmm..caramel glaze maybe... :p

I prefer caramel over orange marmalade ... if I get a vote.
 
Gypsybyrd said:
I prefer caramel over orange marmalade ... if I get a vote.


Depends on who does the tasting.....stuffed koala sausage needs a mint sauce.... ;)
 
done_got_old said:
So we should just push the stuffing into the hole?

I think that might work ...



you notice he's gone all quiet and stuff? LOL
 
Gypsybyrd said:
I think that might work ...



you notice he's gone all quiet and stuff? LOL


HEY! it's hard to make sauce and index at the same time!!! :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top