Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken drumsticks marinated in a balsamic vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger mixture, with baked sweet potatoes and steamed brussels sprouts tonight. Yum.

1779739_676776642361043_1238825568_n.jpg

1656386_10151957550061769_1243867820_n.jpg

Cayenne hot pepper sauce - Frank's copycat recipe. I used pepper mash commercially available. It's pretty darn close to the real thing. :D

A use for malt vinegar-

Salt and Malt Vinegar "Smashed" Potato Treat

Red Bliss, thin skin will get crisp-y- or Yellow Finn ?

Boil them, cool them thoroughly them Flatten them a bit, so they will lie flat.
Just enough so that the soft insides stay inside the margins of skin

Big cookie sheet coated well with olive oil

Brush tops of smashed "cakes" with Malt Vinegar

Bake until skins are brown and crisp-y

Remove from oven and brush with more Malt Vinegar

Thank you, Cook's Country- PBS

Salt and Malt Vinegar "Smashed" Potato Treat II

Where does the salt come in ?

Through the chemistry of kitchen science, the Red Bliss becomes creamy on the inside.

Impossible, you say! (I do not like the waxy texture of Red Bliss.)

The magic happens while the potatoes cook in 2 quarts of water with one and a half cups of salt.
(Yes, you read that right. 1 and 1/2 cups salt!)
Simmer them, not boil as usual. Until tender.
Carry on!

I don't feel all that hungry, so vegetables it is.

Vegetable laksa. There you go. Too easy.

Tonight's dinner was a couple of pork steaks, pan-fried, then simmered in a sauce of chopped ginger and garlic mixed with honey and mustard with a dash of soy and half a cup of orange juice. Veges were baked wedges of pumpkin and potatoes, steamed green beans and broccoli.

Tonight we had a whole fish in a spicy broth containing chillis, slices of celery, and creamy tofu chunks and ribbons, simmering gently over a couple of small burners to keep it warm, accompanied by a plate of mantou (small cubes of steamed bread) which we dipped in a bowl of sweetened condensed milk, and an egg drop soup with pieces of fresh tomato, all washed down with beer.

o Peanut Butter Brownies {NO Flour, Butter, or Dairy and Low Sugar!}

o 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
o 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

(This cook usually uses these Dark Chocolate Morsels but these Chocolate Chips are dairy free)

o 4 eggs
o 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
o 1/2 cup white sugar (white sugar? ewww!) Use turbinado ?
o 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
o 1/4 teaspoon salt
o Another 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to stir into the batter(optional)
o Melted chocolate chips and peanut butter chips
o
o Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease an 8x8 inch pan.
o Melt the peanut butter and 3/4 cup chocolate chips together in the microwave or on the stove, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
o Allow to cool slightly and beat in the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. And the cocoa and salt and stir until smooth.
o Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and spread into prepared pan. Bake for about 35 minutes (the center might be slightly wet on top still).
o Cool completely before cutting. Drizzle with melted peanut butter and chocolate chips if desired.

http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2014/02/peanut-butter-brownies-no-flour-butter.html

I found the name of the place that sold English Cheddar pizza- Ruggles Pizza!
(Biscuit crust, rolled thin, for a knife and fork pizza.)

1980s nostagia :heart:

Prawns, shelled and deveined, with fresh crisp snow peas stir-fried in a broth of white wine, with crushed garlic and ginger. Over thin egg noodles.

Last edited:
A long time ago in some foodie place I became acquainted with the concept of planned leftovers. For example, maybe you stew two chickens with the idea one is for soup today, and the other for enchilada filling tomorrow.

I do this a lot, like marinara sauce with farfalle becomes spaghetti with Italian sausage, then pizza, with or without sausage, and maybe an Italian link on a sub-roll a different meal.

These days since it is usually just me and maybe a guest or two, and I never learned to cook in small batches, everything is more than I need. I don't "plan" what I am going to do with the leftovers but I can turn anything I make into 6 different dishes over the course of a few days.

Tonight since I had a lite late lunch early dinner I didn't want to get up in the night and make BaltimoreBlues decadent Apple Crisp

So, I took about a 1/2 cup of leftover rice cooked in chicken broth (a great way to add flavor with minimal calories). I then sorted out the potatoes from the last of my Veal Stew from the other day and had a little 200 calorie meal.

attachment.php

Now to hope that didn't just "Wet my appetite, without bedding her back down." -Ulysses Everett McGill

Attachments

• Rice and Veal.jpg
    Rice and Veal.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 37
I also can't get past the idea of cooking for just a few after growing up in a family of 9. The Easter dinner ham I made on Monday was used in omelets, homemade Mac n cheese, then tonight's ham and beans. Tomorrow that will turn into ham and beans chimichangas.

I also can't get past the idea of cooking for just a few after growing up in a family of 9. The Easter dinner ham I made on Monday was used in omelets, homemade Mac n cheese, then tonight's ham and beans. Tomorrow that will turn into ham and beans chimichangas.

It's been difficult cooking for just 2 once the boys left home. I have no problem taking leftovers for lunch or eating leftovers the next day.

Easters growing up: We'd go to my great-grandmother's house. We'd have 2 hams, several pounds of freshly smoked kielbasa, 3 types of potato salads, 2 types of macaroni salad, pickles, pickles and more pickles, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables - but no tomatoes, she thought they were poisonous - breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies.

We'd bring home ham for lunches, kielbasa for snacks and lunches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back