Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I start with nice meat that I order, shipped hard-frozen to my house. I keep it that way, never defrosting , because even though a frozen steak takes longer to cook, it shrinks much less and ends up waaay juicier.

I season the fuck out of all sides of the meat with fresh cracked pepper and crushed salt. Then I season some more. Heat up oil in a pan on medium-high flame. Not just a little - a good quarter inch, enough so that when you drop that steak in, the oil tickles all the meaty crevices, gets em all crispy-like.

Two minutes per side, then the pan comes off the heat. A pat of butter atop each piece o' meat, along with a good-sized garlic clove sliced in half.

I then pop the steaks in the oven, already heated from making these lovely simple delicious accompanying bites of yum:
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/recipes/vegetables-grains/perfect-roasted-potatoes-recipe/

I like medium rareish, so it's 10-15 minutes in the oven (because frozen - 5 is fine if you're using non-frozen meat) then another 10-15 (or 5) resting outside the oven in a foil tent.

And there you have it.

I start with nice meat that I order, shipped hard-frozen to my house. I keep it that way, never defrosting , because even though a frozen steak takes longer to cook, it shrinks much less and ends up waaay juicier.

I season the fuck out of all sides of the meat with fresh cracked pepper and crushed salt. Then I season some more. Heat up oil in a pan on medium-high flame. Not just a little - a good quarter inch, enough so that when you drop that steak in, the oil tickles all the meaty crevices, gets em all crispy-like.

Two minutes per side, then the pan comes off the heat. A pat of butter atop each piece o' meat, along with a good-sized garlic clove sliced in half.

I then pop the steaks in the oven, already heated from making these lovely simple delicious accompanying bites of yum:
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/recipes/vegetables-grains/perfect-roasted-potatoes-recipe/

I like medium rareish, so it's 10-15 minutes in the oven (because frozen - 5 is fine if you're using non-frozen meat) then another 10-15 (or 5) resting outside the oven in a foil tent.

And there you have it.

The steaks look amazing. And thank you for the roasted potato link. I'm going to try those tonight with salmon since I don't haz any steaky goodness in the freezer.

And there you have it.

I saw Geoffrey Zakarian talking about cooking steak frozen a few days ago, and thought he had lost his mind! That looks good, though.

I baked some chicken breasts on Sunday night.

For years, I've always cooked them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I read an article saying they taste better/juicier when cooked for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

Great googly-moogly...it worked! :eek:

The steaks look amazing. And thank you for the roasted potato link. I'm going to try those tonight with salmon since I don't haz any steaky goodness in the freezer.

The shaking part is crucial! It gives the taters a little fuzzy, which makes them crispy yummy after roasting. :D

I have a no fuss roast potato dish.

Scrub some spuds, and leave the skin on.
Slice into 1/4 inch rounds.
In a bowl, mix some olive oil with chopped garlic, and crushed rosemary.
Roll the potato slices round to coat them.

Arrange on a lightly oiled baking tray; I put them in a circle, slightly overlapping and then keep layering.
20 mins and they're done. Sometimes add chunks of pumpkin with the same marinade.

Oven roasted Potato's & Steak definitely a Fav and those look cooked to perfection. Though I prefer a Rib Eye or NY Strip . Generally I will trim off the top of a bulb of Garlic, drizzle with oil and wrap in foil to roast with the potato's.

Oven roasted Potato's & Steak definitely a Fav and those look cooked to perfection. Though I prefer a Rib Eye or NY Strip . Generally I will trim off the top of a bulb of Garlic, drizzle with oil and wrap in foil to roast with the potato's.

BBQ'd garlic (whole cloves) - about a half dozen, skewered on a bamboo or a metal stick are delicious -over a charcoal fire - no need to cover them in foil.

I'm into
Potatoes
Cauliflower
Corn
Garlic
Beans

521285.jpg

I'm going to Jamie Oliver's again on Saturday. I'm going to have belly pork with fennel crackling.

BBQ'd garlic (whole cloves) - about a half dozen, skewered on a bamboo or a metal stick are delicious -over a charcoal fire - no need to cover them in foil.

If that's what you like to do cool. However speaking for myself, if the ovens going to be on to roast some Potato's I'm going to minimize my cooking effort doing as much as I can in one shot so I can relax and have a drink.

You drizzle them with oil of your choice & wrap them completely in foil so they don't burn. Instead they caramelize while cooking and that brings out the sweetness of the Garlic. Plus I don't have to turn anything or worry about the garlic burning. Clove removal afterwards is as easy as squeezing the base of the garlic.

If you never tried it Oven roasted garlic

Last edited:
Dinner was outstanding. The salmon went perfectly with Laurel's roasted potatoes and BBG's roasted garlic mashed up and spread over crusty bread.

So full. So very full.....

I have a house full of sickos, so it was homemade chicken stew with dumplings.

Now I am having a cup of peppermint tea and a square of Lindt's Dark Chocolate with Mint.

Dinner was outstanding. The salmon went perfectly with Laurel's roasted potatoes and BBG's roasted garlic mashed up and spread over crusty bread.

There will be no werewolves at your house tonight.

Yeah yum. The roasted garlic thing in delightful. Olive oil, salt and pepper.

I just accidently invented green-chile gumbo.

Cube 1 1/2 pounds of Pork, brown it with 1/2 Onion in heavy dutch oven. Add a 1/2 cup of water to deglaze. Add one large can of Green Enchilada Sauce. Ad a handful of finely minced, fresh Cilantro. Simmer on low an hour or so. I had no potatoes so I added a cup of Rice. Simmer till rice is tender and gumbo thickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back