Writing a sequel to a story that's 7 years old. Do or don't

MarkoAaron

Really Experienced
Hello, authors of Lit! I'm pretty much a nobody here, but a few years ago I wrote 3 stories on Lit, one of which received good ratings and kind comments. Due to responsibilities and life in general, I took a long hiatus from writing and concentrated solely on my career, family and bettering my life. Wish I could say everything worked out the way I hoped lol Anyway, here of late, I've found myself back on Lit, reading stories here and there, and I'd like to get back into writing. The basis of my stories always centered around "Bigfoot" because I'm a fan of Cryptozoology and Bigfoot is my favorite cryptid, so when I decided to try my hand at writing, naturally I took one favorite thing and added it to another favorite thing, the other favorite thing being smut!

If you're reading this with a cocked eyebrow and shaking your head, I don't blame you. Bigfoot erotica was pretty hot in 2016, now, I really don't know. Nevertheless, bigfoot smut stories still get me hard and I'm pretty enthusiastic about writing another one, possibly more. One story I wrote, which is my personal fav, and because it was my first story is known as "Bigfoots Come a Knockin'" which is seven years old. I'm pleased to say it currently holds a 4.52 rating, ooh, wow, such an accomplishment, I know *Eye roll*
I had an idea of new characters coming to the cabin, possibly buying it and having characters from the original story make an appearance. Sort of a sequel, but with different characters and a slightly different story line, but ultimately ending with girls impaled on massive, squatch-cock! I'm just worried that since it's an old story, a sequel would kind of be redundant. If a sequel was done maybe a few months or maybe even a year after, it could work, but seven years? Should I write a new one and just add a note to the beginning that the story is a follow-up or should I just go for it?

Thanks and best wishes,
MarkoAaron

Of course you should do it!

I was curious about the prevalence of Bigfoot smut here, so I did a search, and to my astonishment there are 466 stories at Literotica with "bigfoot" in the title, tag, or text.

This site really does have something for everyone.

Just go for it. I have a series from over ten years ago that is still popular. I haven't written to it in that long, but have had a few additional chapters in mind for years (I've been writing privately since then) and I have had requests to add to it (Grandpa's Pet). I keep planning on doing it; perhaps encouraging you will encourage myself to get back to good things. Best wishes for your resumption.

No problem with writing a follow on, but, if you do, it needs to fully standalone without requiring any reader mastery of what's in the earlier story.

You can link back to the previous story, no matter how old it is. You also may want to have a bit of description at the top of the story describing what is going on in relation to earlier events. Is there a big time gap? I'm considering a sequel that jumps ahead ten years, and I think I can pull it off.

It's a bit tricky perhaps, but you can hope that the new story will also be readable on its own merits. It's a judgment call on your part about to handle it and how much detail you want to include

I did this with one of mine and, like you, it was after a very big (7-year) gap.

I actually pulled the original two chapters (deleted them from the site) and submitted replacements, completely restructured etc, then built the series up from there. It's now one of my best (and longest) series. Je ne regrette rien.

You can link back to the previous story, no matter how old it is. You also may want to have a bit of description at the top of the story describing what is going on in relation to earlier events. Is there a big time gap? I'm considering a sequel that jumps ahead ten years, and I think I can pull it off.

It's a bit tricky perhaps, but you can hope that the new story will also be readable on its own merits. It's a judgment call on your part about to handle it and how much detail you want to include
A time gap would definitely happen. Seven years in the story as in real life. The cabin's owner will meet with the buyers and share a little of her experience.

Hello, authors of Lit! I'm pretty much a nobody here, but a few years ago I wrote 3 stories on Lit, one of which received good ratings and kind comments. Due to responsibilities and life in general, I took a long hiatus from writing and concentrated solely on my career, family and bettering my life. Wish I could say everything worked out the way I hoped lol Anyway, here of late, I've found myself back on Lit, reading stories here and there, and I'd like to get back into writing. The basis of my stories always centered around "Bigfoot" because I'm a fan of Cryptozoology and Bigfoot is my favorite cryptid, so when I decided to try my hand at writing, naturally I took one favorite thing and added it to another favorite thing, the other favorite thing being smut!

If you're reading this with a cocked eyebrow and shaking your head, I don't blame you. Bigfoot erotica was pretty hot in 2016, now, I really don't know. Nevertheless, bigfoot smut stories still get me hard and I'm pretty enthusiastic about writing another one, possibly more. One story I wrote, which is my personal fav, and because it was my first story is known as "Bigfoots Come a Knockin'" which is seven years old. I'm pleased to say it currently holds a 4.52 rating, ooh, wow, such an accomplishment, I know *Eye roll*
I had an idea of new characters coming to the cabin, possibly buying it and having characters from the original story make an appearance. Sort of a sequel, but with different characters and a slightly different story line, but ultimately ending with girls impaled on massive, squatch-cock! I'm just worried that since it's an old story, a sequel would kind of be redundant. If a sequel was done maybe a few months or maybe even a year after, it could work, but seven years? Should I write a new one and just add a note to the beginning that the story is a follow-up or should I just go for it?

Thanks and best wishes,RT
MarkoAaron
I'd say do it. If it were me(and it's not), I'd move the timeline and ages of the characters along 7 years too. I think that would make it more interesting and you add updated character changes in their experience, either advancing or declining. Making a sequel 7 years after the first one, and having the timeline the next day or week seems to me a little unbelievable. RT

There are two levels to such stories. There will be some (but not many) who either remember the storyline from before or are willing to go back and read the earlier story before reading the follow on. The vast majority of readers won't either remember an earlier story or bother to check it out. There will be a few readers who enjoy the story being extended, but, for most readers, you will need for the second story to able to stand alone, or you will be losing future readers who leave the second story a bit confused.

There are two levels to such stories. There will be some (but not many) who either remember the storyline from before or are willing to go back and read the earlier story before reading the follow on. The vast majority of readers won't either remember an earlier story or bother to check it out. There will be a few readers who enjoy the story being extended, but, for most readers, you will need for the second story to able to stand alone, or you will be losing future readers who leave the second story a bit confused.
I'm always a bit confused! LOL

No problem with long awaited sequels here. I'm about to ship my author avatar with his greatest love after 19 years since his first feature. Hope your readers enjoy the story. If you're confident enough about it, go for it. :)

I'm always a bit confused! LOL
You can go crazy trying to figure out what the readers will want, because many of them don't know themselves. By the way, Updike waited about ten years each time he wrote a sequel to his Rabbit series of novels. It turned out that I read the second one first (published in 1971) before I got to the first one (published in 1960). I remember that I could follow the 1971 book fairly well anyway.

He had also intended the first one to be a stand-alone book, but something inspired him to pick up the plot again.

Any story that hangs around that long in your knoggin, needs to be finished. I think KiethD is right. After so long a story that stands by itself would be best in my opinion. There's no harm in pointing readers to the old story in an author's note though.

Just seconding the advice to write it as a stand alone story, in such a way that readers won't need to read the first one.

Don't CALL it a "sequel." Don't LABEL it a sequel.

Then, at the end, leave a note to mention the original they can go back and read if they're interested.

I'm doing that for a prequel story I'm writing to one I only published a few months ago.

There were nine years between my first story and the sequel, which coincidentally correlated closely to the aging of the characters from the first story to the second.

Again, a lot of terms and naming conventions get tossed around in these threads such as "universe", "series", "sequels", "chapters", etc. to describe continuity of stories. Call yours whatever you want, but don't hesitate to write it.

Totally do it. Just make sure your readers know which story you are following up on, especially if you're running elaborate plot lines with intricate characters.

Last time we saw our Hero and Heroine they just made love. Now, seven years later, his new new job's a hassle, and the kids have the flu, But it's sure nice that they plane a new adventure soon, if they can find the time.

Perhaps make the new story set seven years later? Where are the characters now?

Back