Why Pain Feels Good

Not a sexy article, but one offering an interesting insight into why we like spicy food, BDSM, scarry movies, etc.

Why pain feels good

By Zaria Gorvett

1st October 2015

Why exactly do some people enjoy eye-wateringly hot curries, extreme workouts or sadomasochistic sex?

His opponent had been known to cause seizures, heart attacks, and even death. But Jason McNabb looked remarkably calm as he entered the arena. The whistle blew. Assault came thick and fast – a chaotic rush of watering eyes, swollen lips and perspiration.

This was no ordinary competition. McNabb now holds a world record for eating the most Bhut Jolokia peppers in two minutes. “It felt like I had a mouthful of hornets stinging me all at one time. Candidly, it was like pure hell”, he says.
It felt like I had a mouthful of hornets stinging me all at one time - Jason McNabb
The Bhut Jolokia, or ‘ghost pepper’ can measure more than a million Scoville units – in other words, it is 200 to 400 times spicier than a jalapeno. It's one of the hottest in the world, and anyone who takes so much as a nibble is likely to suffer excruciating pain. A reasonable question to ask is: why would anyone do this to themselves?

Common sense tells us that people seek pleasure and avoid pain. But that’s not always the case – various activities involve pain, including running, hot massages, tattoos, piercings and even BDSM (an abbreviation for bondage, discipline, domination, submission, sadism and masochism).

For McNabb, the pain from the peppers produces a rush that is similar to that produced by food, drugs or sex. “The pain subsided pretty quickly and then it was just the high of the adrenaline and euphoria from the peppers,” Jason explains.

The link between pleasure and pain is deeply rooted in our biology. For a start, all pain causes the central nervous system to release endorphins – proteins which act to block pain and work in a similar way to opiates such as morphine to induce feelings of euphoria.

The relationship will come as no surprise to those who run. Bursts of intense exertion release lactic acid, a by-product of the breakdown of glucose when oxygen is in short supply. The acid irritates pain receptors in the muscles, and these communicate their plight to the brain through electrical messages, sent through the spinal cord. The signals are interpreted as a burning sensation in the legs, usually causing the runner to slow down or stop.

The ‘runner’s high’ may have enabled our ancestors to endure the pain of a marathon hunt

That is until the nervous system's control centre, the hippocampus, kicks in. This seahorse-shaped portion of the brain responds to pain signals by ordering the production of the body's own narcotics, endorphins. The proteins bind to opioid receptors in the brain and prevent the release of chemicals involved in the transmission of pain signals. This helps block pain, but endorphins go further, stimulating the brain's limbic and prefrontal regions – the same areas activated by passionate love affairs and music. It’s a post-pain rush similar to the high of morphine or heroin, which also bind to the brain’s opioid receptors.

Meanwhile, the pain of intense exercise also causes a spike in another of the body’s painkillers, anandamide. Known as the ‘bliss chemical’, it binds to cannabinoid receptors in the brain to block pain signals and induce the warm, fuzzy pleasure emulated by marijuana, which binds to the same receptors. Adrenaline, also produced in response to pain, adds to the excitement by raising the athlete’s heart rate.

Burning legs are thought to discourage overexertion, while the ‘runner’s high’ may have enabled our ancestors to endure the pain of a marathon hunt. More generally, the pleasurable post-pain rush is thought to have evolved to help people cope in the immediate aftermath of an injury.

But why are some types of pain enjoyable, and others just plain agonising?

One theory to explain it is ‘benign masochism’ – seeking out pain while maintaining the awareness that it won’t cause serious damage. It’s something animals aren’t capable of doing.

One example is chilli. The active ingredient, capsaicin, is harmless. It hurts because it happens to bind to TRPV1, part of a family of temperature-sensitive receptors in our tongues which alert the body to potentially damaging heat or cold. Activating TRPV1 sends the brain the same signals as if the tongue was actually on fire.

Most young children are averse to chilli, but they learn to enjoy it through repeated exposure as they learn to disassociate the fruit with real physical harm. Yet chilli addicts’ tongues are just as sensitive to capsaicin as everyone else’s.

This is a uniquely human indulgence. Scientists have tried, and failed, to induce a preference for chilli in rats. Animals have been trained to self-harm, but only by ‘positive reinforcement’, in which animals are taught to associate pain with a reward.

“Generally, when an animal experiences something negative, it avoids it,” explains Paul Rozin, from the University of Pennsylvania.

Benign masochism is something that those who engage in BDSM won’t find surprising. Mistress Alexandra, a professional sadist based in London, explains: “We make a difference between good pain and bad pain. Bad pain indicates that something is not right, something we have to pay instant attention to. Then there’s good pain which is enjoyable. For example, when the shoulder starts pulling during bondage, that’s potentially unsafe so we release it.”

The theory is also thought to explain why we seek out and enjoy other intrinsically unpleasant experiences, such as fear-inducing rollercoasters or sad movies. “If an animal took a rollercoaster it would be scared, and it would never go again.” says Rozin.

The link between sex and pain is not confined to the world of BDSM. One study, in which researchers used fMRI to visualise the brains of women as they stimulated themselves to climax, found that more than 30 areas of the brain were active, including those involved in pain. Another found that cancer survivors, who had nerves in their spinal cord cut to relieve chronic abdominal pain, lost the ability to have orgasms. If their pain returned, so did the orgasms.

Barry Komisaruk from Rutgers University, who authored the imaging study, thinks there’s a fundamental link between pain and orgasm pathways. “Another observation is that the facial expressions during orgasm are often indistinguishable from those in pain,” he says.

Along these lines, a study into how paracetamol affects emotions found that the painkilling drug not only relieves emotional pain, but also blunts feelings of pleasure. In the study, students were given either paracetamol or a placebo, and asked to rate the intensity of their emotions towards a series of provocative photographs. The drug levelled-off highs as well as lows – an indicator that it operates on shared biological pathways.

For human beings, then, it appears that pain and pleasure have always been intertwined.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151001-why-pain-feels-good

It is interesting how some love pain or maybe some pain and having no control. Doing as told. I can see how those that love it love it.

I am no expert here… I have watched "Demos" of it a couple times.

My wife does demos for a BDSM group. They represent all BDSM (I think). Master, Slave, Top, Bottom, Bondage and discipline, Dominance and submission, Male dominance, Male submission, Female dominance, Female submission, Sadism and masochism.

My wife wears outfits, or she can be nude. Many times, its lingerie but more latex or leather… less lace… but now that I think about, lace too. I would say she is mostly always wearing heels/boots unless it is some sort of restraint furniture, she is demoing for them.

They go through a different type of BDSM each week… Bondage restraint, Hot wax dripped on her skin, Warm oiled, Spanking, Slapping, Caning, Whipping, Feathers, Paddle, Blindfolds, and earmuffs. She demos nipple and clitoral jewelry. Seeing my wife that way is well rather hot! Probably more items.

She also demos BDSM position and restrain furniture and toys… I have to say the furniture and restraint stuff is well rather hot to see her in and do. Needless to say, demoing a wand and vibrator… Well yeah. The dildo “fuck machines” are wild to watch!

But it is very controlled with only two master’s or Dom’s touching my wife. Now they do use safe words for the interactive and restraint stuff… I never heard her have to say a safe word the few times I was there. Nothing looks painful? Uncomfortable at times? I would imagine the audience when they do it with their partners would be way more intense! I’d love to be a fly on the wall for the real deal!

What about sadists?

I agree with much of that article. I’m speaking, non sexually, of the zen I feel when I’m getting a tattoo. I do like hot peppers, but not ghost pepper hot.

I’m thinking of the tattoo situation, because there is an end in sight to the pain. I chose to have the pain. I know it ends when the needle lifts. It’s a controlled pain, a good pain. As is BDSM. He won’t snap. He will control my experience.
Knowing there is an end in sight to pain is half the battle.

I can certainly understand the pain part. Other non painful parts of it too. I nor my wife have any real tattoos. I know when she gets a "painted" tattoo drawn on her it is a hot feeling for her and I suppose all that get to see it. There is something about the act of getting one. Especially in areas reserved for certain eyes. I have seen my wife get well wet as they do them not even anywhere near there. But she does enjoy being nude for the artists.

I wonder about this a lot, because it's a subject of interest to me in both my own life and in the writing of my stories.

I have a very high tolerance for hot, spicy food, though probably not quite as high as that of Mr. McNabb in the article. I enjoy the feeling of burning on my tongue. I'm not sure why, and I've been asked why by people who don't have the same ability to tolerate and enjoy it. I don't know why. It's pleasurable.

I'm an avid runner, and part of the pleasure (for me) of running is that when you run fast for long distances it borders on painful. There's an exquisite feeling of pleasure when running right at the border of what your body can accept.

But in the realm of sex it's a totally different story. I can dish it out but I can't take it. I like to spank, but I do not like being spanked, at all. My tolerance level is extremely low.

So I suppose pain-tolerance/enjoyment in one aspect of one's life is no predictor of pain-tolerance/enjoyment in others.

Hard intensive exercise has been clinically proven to reduce depressive symptoms and improve emotional mood and well being. In the U.K. exercise is now prescribed like a drug to treat depression.

We know when someone is badly injured they can find super human strength to continue. A good example is a mother is in a car crash, she gets out and gets her baby out and safe before she notices she has a broken arm and dislocated shoulder. Horse riders and military who have experienced an injury in combat can often tell similar stories.

In a consensual dynamic I believe there is a mind space the bottom is already in by the negotiation and preparation. That pre-emotional state I think triggers a masochist to recruit the neural pathways for pleasure and pain so it’s a switch internally that allows them to reach the endorphin high of intensive exercise.

TENs used at the right settings has been clinically shown to induce an endorphin release for up to twelve hours after stimulation. So I don’t think it’s a big leap to link endorphins being released with pain and fear in a dynamic.

Adrenaline.

That has a lot to do with it, I think. And the longer the session stretches out, the more opportunity for the adrenal glands to operate. But part of the trick, for me, is not letting them do a full dump right away. Better to tease, so that the threat comes slowly so that it can be anticipated.

Good article.

Interesting about the inability to feel pleasure if you don't feel pain.

catbaby's post about how good it feels to cry resonates. It's hard for me to feel vulnerable without some kind of pain.

This was a thread about pain posted a while back - thought I'd share it here

https://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1493188

crying

Sometimes i feel good after crying too, not just pain. I just feel i needed it.

Yes! The Missus and I discovered this many years ago. Maybe it's heightened by me being male (not supposed to cry) and in positions of responsibility in the vanilla world.

It is said there is a thin line between love and hate. Scientists have stated the hate circuits in the brain are similar to the love circuits in 2008.

What we are really talking about here, is the pleasure pain principle. I would speculate (based on the above), the pain circuits in the brain must be similar to the pleasure circuits.

How else can you explain any injuries you may have during a subspace event or a period of heightened arousal are pushed to the background by the brain, while we are left to enjoy the moment(s)?

I think maybe pain is not always purely pain, but rather it can be perceived by the recipient as stimulation, or arousal, accompanied with or without feelings of pain when experienced in the right way. Spanking can be painful, but it can also be arousing. I've tried receiving spanking and I don't enjoy it, I feel it as pain rather than arousing, however I've spanked others and most I'd say have enjoyed it, and found it arousing rather than purely painful.

A few years back I met up with a couple and there was no hint that things might go in a BDSM direction, we were just intending to get naked and enjoy whatever happened.

She went upstairs and a minute or so later called me up. Pretty soon we were naked, she was lying on the bed playing with my cock while I sucked and played with her large tits. Her partner had joined us and was busy with is mouth between her thighs. Suddenly she said to me "Spank my tits". This was completely left field for me, and the first words that came out of my mouth were "Are you sure?". She immediately replied "Yes".

Having no experience of this I guess I was quite cautious, I didn't want to spoil what was already a fun meet. Anyway I did as she asked, but I'd guess fairly gently given that I had no idea what her pain threshold was. I did find the experience exciting, the novelty, the fact that she trusted me, and the visuals of her large breasts rippling and shaking from the impact of my spanks. After I little I stopped thinking I'd probably done enough, only for her to immediately say "Don't stop". That really was a surprise, and I did continue for a bit more.

On reflection though I think it would have been better if she had talked about her preferences and limits beforehand as we would each have understood our limits and signals better.

It was an interesting experience, and not one that I've ever had the opportunity to repeat. If I ever did, a very doubtful prospect, I'd definitely want to discuss more beforehand.

Have you ever played a sport or athletic activity to the point that it hurts? Have you ever sacrificed your body to prevent the opposing team from scoring but got injured (chipped a tooth, busted an ankle)? Have you ever craved that feeling of pain?

Same as sex imo. Pain in sex is like the pain you experience when you push your body to its physical limits in sport. It's a pain you absolutely crave, it's a drug, it's addicting, it's sensual both in sex and in sport. In sex, I love giving and receiving pain!

Back