What say you?

Okay, so the funniest book I've ever read is "Will Save The Galaxy For Food" by Yahtzee Croshaw.

In it, a bunch of Han Solo type adventuring pilots are all put out of work as soon as instant teleportation gates get invented.

The main character cracks a ton of jokes, but I can't remember a single instance where anyone laughed [except for me, the reader].

Here's one instance as an example:

(For context, the MMC has been trying in vain to start ridiculous, outrageous rumors about a man that he hates.)

As you can see, the joke requires no reaction from the other character, but as a reader, I remember spitting out my metaphorical drink at that line. So I'm sure it varies, case by case.

Thats a brilliant example of a deadpan delivery.

It's a joke but stated in such a way that at first you think he's serious.

Thats a brilliant example of a deadpan delivery.

It's a joke but stated in such a way that at first you think he's serious.

I hate when I hit send before finishing a thought.

What I meant to add was, having the other character laugh there would actually ruin the joke. You're meant to be confused at first before the humor kicks in. "He laughed" spoils the moment.

I hate when I hit send before finishing a thought.

What I meant to add was, having the other character laugh there would actually ruin the joke. You're meant to be confused at first before the humor kicks in. "He laughed" spoils the moment.
I pretty much agree... to a point.

It definitely would have ruined the joke if the boy he was speaking to laughed. However, I feel that if a 3rd character was in the scene and they laughed, it might be okay.

Something like:

He looked furtively left and right, as if we were exchanging classified information in a darkened car park, then leaned closer. “Is it true about Jacques McKeown?”

I leaned in too. “It is. He really does rape dogs. He can’t help it; it’s an impulse. I’ve never seen one get away from him in time.”

From behind me, I heard Ms Warden snort, as she fought to stifle a laugh. That wasn't any good. At that moment, I decided that I should think of something a bit more believable next time. Perhaps I should have suggested that he merely molests dogs. People would buy that, probably.

The boy shook his head earnestly. “I mean, is it true that all the pilots secretly know who he is but they’ve made a pact not to tell?”

The bold portion I added. Obviously, it isn't quite as funny or perfect as the original. (I'm not as good of an author as Croshaw) but I don't think the addition completely ruins the joke.

If you, as an author, worry that perhaps too many readers would get confused, and think that he's being serious, you can always add in a character reaction to make things more clear.

HOWEVER... I agree that something is lost when you have to point out the joke.

I pretty much agree... to a point.

It definitely would have ruined the joke if the boy he was speaking to laughed. However, I feel that if a 3rd character was in the scene and they laughed, it might be okay.

Something like:

The bold portion I added. Obviously, it isn't quite as funny or perfect as the original. (I'm not as good of an author as Croshaw) but I don't think the addition completely ruins the joke.

If you, as an author, worry that perhaps too many readers would get confused, and think that he's being serious, you can always add in a character reaction to make things more clear.

HOWEVER... I agree that something is lost when you have to point out the joke.

Oh no, I totally get your point.

You could also do something like:

The boy rolled his eyes for a moment, then shook his head earnestly. “I mean, is it true that all the pilots secretly know who he is but they’ve made a pact not to tell?”

Points out the boy understood the joke but was looking for a more serious answer.

That's a different delivery and the humour is part of it. The emphasis is on amusing the reader with the dialogue. If the character laughs, the emphasis is on what the character is feeling. Deadpan delivery requires the characters not to laugh.

Back