What are the writers reading?

Hm. The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe is perhaps the most dense, serious, literary SF I've ever read. It takes place on Earth (or Urth) some hundreds of thousands of years in the future when beaches are rainbow colored from millennia of broken glass bottles and the moon is green with ancient forests.

Vurt by Jeff Noon is fun zany SF with a special relevance for the IT writers among us.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon is like a wild roller coaster through WWII where just understanding what the hell is happening at any given moment is quite an accomplishment.

I have been reading a collection of essays about the Midwest called A Place of Sense from back in the 1980s. I was in the basement of a book seller, felt an impulse to go to a certain corner of the stacks, and found this peculiar book waiting for me. I'm not a very spiritual person, but every once in awhile I humor a mystical notion or two because why not. And hey, these essays fucking rule, so it worked out.

Be hold the power of the book. It called to you, and you answered it.
I have been reading a collection of essays about the Midwest called A Place of Sense from back in the 1980s. I was in the basement of a book seller, felt an impulse to go to a certain corner of the stacks, and found this peculiar book waiting for me. I'm not a very spiritual person, but every once in awhile I humor a mystical notion or two because why not. And hey, these essays fucking rule, so it worked out.

I have no way to reduce the books I like to a top three, but if I had a top three of sci fi/fantasy I'd probably include Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, a nutty but prescient and wildly fun yarn about virtual reality set in a bizarre, dystopian future. The sense of humor is wonderful. The main character, after all, is Hiro Protagonist, pizza deliverer for a Mafia-controlled pizza company in the real world and a master swordsman in the virtual Metaverse.

I like reading the "Wearing the Cape" series when I get bored ...

iu

Back