Virginia Friends

Breathing life into a dead thread ...😉

OK .. so I have to give some credit to[ B] L8tnIt [/B] for resurrecting this thread somewhat. If you look at the thread itself, you can see that it was dead between February and November of 2020, and so you have to give some credit to Dr. L8nitstien, for shocking the monster back to life.

There is a caveat to my congratulations though, which is that one of the reasons that this thread has died several times is that people are just posting their area code and saying "I'm here" with very little "other" conversation that would keep a thread interesting to others, and make them want to comment on it. It probably would get more "activity" if we posed a question to all the fellow Virginians about something we all have in common, other than wanting to post an area code to see who is around us. I mean, that is sort of making this thread an arcane version of Tinder if you ask me.

Given we are all sort of under a lock down, maybe there is something interesting you have to say about where you live. As for me, I live in Northern Virginia -- which has experienced tremendous growth over the three decades that I've been here -- and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there are tremendous job opportunities located here and that is part of what drew me to the area -- plus there is a lot to see and do in the area, like sports teams, concerts at the Verizon Center, and lots of museums -- as well as the colleges / universities.

On the other hand, it is a very crowded and very expensive area to live in, it has lots of congestion in terms of traffic (although that has gotten much better with the pandemic), and in many ways forces you into a fast paced lifestyle that takes its toll on your emotional and mental well being. Kind of like being a rat in an over-crowded cage.

Here are some questions for the group --

a) Are you a native Virginian (born and raised in the state?)
b) How happy are you in the area that you live?
c) If you could change one thing about where you live, what would it be?

Hopefully this will get more of us to participate on this thread.

:eek:

I work in Tyson's Corner area but live in Maryland so both are my old stomping grounds

I'm in Virginia right now. I'm originally from Cali but here for work. Could use a few friends.

And we're back to name / age / location?

I think one of the reasons that this thread continuously dies is that all we do here is post the fact that we exist ...

Isn't there anything more interesting that we can talk about in this thread? It might make it more "alive" than it has been in the past.

Also in the 757

Middle aged divorced white man just getting into the game here.....

Are there any ladies active on the thread?

I think one of the reasons that this thread continuously dies is that all we do here is post the fact that we exist ...

Isn't there anything more interesting that we can talk about in this thread? It might make it more "alive" than it has been in the past.

The real problem is that it is only guys posting on the thread so it is hard to get any interesting conversations going. It is the same in the Maryland thread. If I did not know better I would think the entire population of 6 million+ in the DMV are all men.

It's like out of a population of 6+ million there are only a handful of women with enough interest in sex to search out a site like Lit and of that handful, they only lurk. It is a shame. :confused:

Last edited:
OK .. so I have to give some credit to[ B] L8tnIt [/B] for resurrecting this thread somewhat. If you look at the thread itself, you can see that it was dead between February and November of 2020, and so you have to give some credit to Dr. L8nitstien, for shocking the monster back to life.

There is a caveat to my congratulations though, which is that one of the reasons that this thread has died several times is that people are just posting their area code and saying "I'm here" with very little "other" conversation that would keep a thread interesting to others, and make them want to comment on it. It probably would get more "activity" if we posed a question to all the fellow Virginians about something we all have in common, other than wanting to post an area code to see who is around us. I mean, that is sort of making this thread an arcane version of Tinder if you ask me.

Given we are all sort of under a lock down, maybe there is something interesting you have to say about where you live. As for me, I live in Northern Virginia -- which has experienced tremendous growth over the three decades that I've been here -- and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there are tremendous job opportunities located here and that is part of what drew me to the area -- plus there is a lot to see and do in the area, like sports teams, concerts at the Verizon Center, and lots of museums -- as well as the colleges / universities.

On the other hand, it is a very crowded and very expensive area to live in, it has lots of congestion in terms of traffic (although that has gotten much better with the pandemic), and in many ways forces you into a fast paced lifestyle that takes its toll on your emotional and mental well being. Kind of like being a rat in an over-crowded cage.

Hello!

A- I was not born here in Virginia, I grew up in PR and moved to VA when I was a teen. I live near RVA now.
B- the people here are very nice, but it's just not my scene. I would like to have more space between be and my neighbors haha. I'm thinking about moving into the country.
C- I wouldnt change much, I live somewhere very quiet and nice, but the older I get I do prefer more and more privacy.

a) not native born but God it feels like I've been here forever!
b) I'm content with the area but getting really tired of the state as a whole.
c) that the northern VA yuppies would stay the hell up there. Oh and internet. Internet suuuuuucks here.

i have seen RVA posted a couple of times. Is that Richmond VA or Roanoke VA?

I was actually born in VA but mostly grew up in Maryland but very familiar with the Northern VA area. My biggest complaint is probably the most common, traffic, specifically bridges. I don't know what it is about bridges that seems to scare people but they backup so bad around here.

i have seen RVA posted a couple of times. Is that Richmond VA or Roanoke VA?

I was actually born in VA but mostly grew up in Maryland but very familiar with the Northern VA area. My biggest complaint is probably the most common, traffic, specifically bridges. I don't know what it is about bridges that seems to scare people but they backup so bad around here.

RVA = Richmond.

RVA is Richmond

A- I was born in Richmond.
B- I do now livein the country (thank goodness this past year).
C- I wouldnt change anything.

So it is really lonely down there in RVA? Have not been down that way for a while, probably last time was a few years back when I went to the Richmond Raceway.

LOL no. Lit has helped with the loneliness. It’s not really the problem it was when I chose my name. 😉

Thanks for Posting in the Thread ..

Hey,

I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions, and I thought I would give a little bit of a reply to each of you who did post.

For Kal2ina,
A- I was not born here in Virginia, I grew up in PR and moved to VA when I was a teen. I live near RVA now.
I assume PR is Puerto Rico, which I imagine has a much more interesting climate than RVA. If RVA is indeed Richmond, then I bet Richmond has seen a lot of growth as well. The whole I-95 corridor between the DC beltway and Richmond is a nightmare in terms of congestion these days.

B- the people here are very nice, but it's just not my scene. I would like to have more space between be and my neighbors haha. I'm thinking about moving into the country.
So, how much space between your neighbors do you need? At the moment, I'm living in a condo, and I did that deliberately to be closer to my work, and to avoid the hassle of having to maintain the exterior of a home. Also, it was much more cost effective in terms of living space and location ... I don't want to spend a lot of my life sitting in traffic congestion that drives my blood pressure through the roof.

C- I wouldnt change much, I live somewhere very quiet and nice, but the older I get I do prefer more and more privacy.
Why do you think you want more privacy as you are getting older? Is it that you aren't as social as you were when you were younger?

For blulilacgrl

I wasn't native born either, and I have been here forever now. I've spent over half my life living in the northern Virginia area, and I've watched it grow. I originally came down here in pursuit of a long distance relationship, and wound up staying here. On the plus side, I like the weather better than up New England, where I was before I came here. The downside is all the growth has made quality of life go down overall.

I don't see myself staying here after I retire from my work, and actually the pandemic has seemed to get more people comfortable in working remotely. My ideal situation would be to live in small college town that had good Internet, and a place where I could audit classes on lots of different subjects.

c) that the northern VA yuppies would stay the hell up there. Oh and internet. Internet suuuuuucks here.
I'm not sure there is much room left to stay in "northern VA" as such. Before the pandemic, there were people I knew who commuted in from WVA, which in my opinion is the definition of insanity. It's insane to spend more than two hours a day cramped into a tin box driving back and forth.

Hey,

I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions, and I thought I would give a little bit of a reply to each of you who did post.

For Kal2ina,
I assume PR is Puerto Rico, which I imagine has a much more interesting climate than RVA. If RVA is indeed Richmond, then I bet Richmond has seen a lot of growth as well. The whole I-95 corridor between the DC beltway and Richmond is a nightmare in terms of congestion these days.

So, how much space between your neighbors do you need? At the moment, I'm living in a condo, and I did that deliberately to be closer to my work, and to avoid the hassle of having to maintain the exterior of a home. Also, it was much more cost effective in terms of living space and location ... I don't want to spend a lot of my life sitting in traffic congestion that drives my blood pressure through the roof.

Why do you think you want more privacy as you are getting older? Is it that you aren't as social as you were when you were younger?

A few acres!! Over time I just have found that I really have enjoy being by myself and that I don't like being around too many people (even populated supermarkets bother me now). I've also always have liked to hike and camp so it's easier to have access to trails and campsites away from RVA (richmond) or anywhere super populated. So, I can't imagine living in a condo or sitting in traffic for hours. Being in those situations would not be healthy for me but I totally understand the need. There are definitely pros and cons to living close to a city but I enjoy nature too much to live close to a city forever.

Space ...

A few acres!! Over time I just have found that I really have enjoy being by myself and that I don't like being around too many people (even populated supermarkets bother me now). I've also always have liked to hike and camp so it's easier to have access to trails and campsites away from RVA (richmond) or anywhere super populated. So, I can't imagine living in a condo or sitting in traffic for hours. Being in those situations would not be healthy for me but I totally understand the need. There are definitely pros and cons to living close to a city but I enjoy nature too much to live close to a city forever.

Actually, I can appreciate the discomfort about crowds, and I tend to have the same reaction when I'm in a crowded venue. I'm also pretty sensitive to too much background noise -- I guess some would call it noise pollution. There are some places, like crowded restaurants, where the background chatter will eventually get to me, and I'll just want to leave. Fortunately, the place where I live is pretty quiet overall, and I rarely hear or see my neighbors.

So, I have to ask ... is being yourself somewhat incompatible with being around others? Overall, I tend to enjoy a pretty good amount of solitude, and so my interactions with people tend to be limited to when I feel "in the mood" for it. The older I get, the less "in the mood" I am to deal with people ... and I think maybe I'm just turning into a crotchety reclusive person.

Who knows?

For blulilacgrl

I wasn't native born either, and I have been here forever now. I've spent over half my life living in the northern Virginia area, and I've watched it grow. I originally came down here in pursuit of a long distance relationship, and wound up staying here. On the plus side, I like the weather better than up New England, where I was before I came here. The downside is all the growth has made quality of life go down overall.

I don't see myself staying here after I retire from my work, and actually the pandemic has seemed to get more people comfortable in working remotely. My ideal situation would be to live in small college town that had good Internet, and a place where I could audit classes on lots of different subjects.

I'm not sure there is much room left to stay in "northern VA" as such. Before the pandemic, there were people I knew who commuted in from WVA, which in my opinion is the definition of insanity. It's insane to spend more than two hours a day cramped into a tin box driving back and forth.

See I come from a warmer climate so the cold of VA is too much. Even after 30+ years.

I too don't see myself staying here. Figure I just need a few years to get the kids out and started and then we pull up stakes and move somewhere warmer.

Tough! Lol. No I get it. I spent my teenage years in Northern VA. But I got the hell out of there as soon as possible and never looked back. My issue is my area has become a tourist spot for freaking yuppies. Every damn summer, we have to deal with stupid northern drivers who can't figure out how the roads work, are entitled and pompous af, and make our area unsafe. And don't get me started on the people who decide to move down here and then bitch because 'it's not like up north!". Well then stay the fuck up north!!!

See I come from a warmer climate so the cold of VA is too much. Even after 30+ years.

I too don't see myself staying here. Figure I just need a few years to get the kids out and started and then we pull up stakes and move somewhere warmer.

Tough! Lol. No I get it. I spent my teenage years in Northern VA. But I got the hell out of there as soon as possible and never looked back. My issue is my area has become a tourist spot for freaking yuppies. Every damn summer, we have to deal with stupid northern drivers who can't figure out how the roads work, are entitled and pompous af, and make our area unsafe. And don't get me started on the people who decide to move down here and then bitch because 'it's not like up north!". Well then stay the fuck up north!!!

OK .. you got me on the warmer climate, but honestly Virginia isn't bad in terms of climate, if you like to have distinct seasons. I mean, how far south do you really want to go? I've always had this idea of migrating ... living up near Canada (or in Canada) for the summer months, and then going south (where the winter climate is between 65 and 75 during the day) for the winter months.

Yeah ... Tourists are just part of being near Washington, D.C., and it's gotten worse since they put the Air and Space annex out here, and you can park there all day for like $10 bucks and there's a shuttle downtown. Not only that, but they put the metro in, and that has caused crime to go up in this area. And they call it progress.

OK .. you got me on the warmer climate, but honestly Virginia isn't bad in terms of climate, if you like to have distinct seasons. I mean, how far south do you really want to go? I've always had this idea of migrating ... living up near Canada (or in Canada) for the summer months, and then going south (where the winter climate is between 65 and 75 during the day) for the winter months.

Yeah ... Tourists are just part of being near Washington, D.C., and it's gotten worse since they put the Air and Space annex out here, and you can park there all day for like $10 bucks and there's a shuttle downtown. Not only that, but they put the metro in, and that has caused crime to go up in this area. And they call it progress.

Greetings one & All. First of all I want to thank Northern VAM for breathing new life into this thread. Also StarGazzer 58 who worked tirelessly for years to keep it going. There have been more ladies on here in the past week, then all of last year. It’s encouraging.
Now, about myself. I’m an retired, attached male who moved here in the summer of 2017.... left the “ Lake Effect Snow ❄️ “ of Buffalo behind to settle in the Valley & deal with the “ Allegheny Mountain 🏔 Effect “. There is No comparison. We bought ourselves a couple of acres of land and had a log home built, just outside of Staunton. From start to finish is was about a 15 year project. We’ve been coming to the Valley since the late 80’s. The natural beauty of the area from the Shenandoah National Park, the Blue Ridge & all places in between is just spectacular, especially in the fall. If you’re a “ history nut” like me you have every from the Revolutionary War, thru the Civil War, till today. 3 President’s homes in easy driving range. The Old Valley Pike ( Rt.11) from Winchester to Lexington is a fantastic drive, each town is different & worthy to explore. The huge growth of Breweries & Winery’s over the past 20 years is reason alone to travel up & down ( although US 81 IS a Pain). And finally we are paying approximately 1/3 less in overall taxes each year, great when one is on a fixed income. Yes there is only 1TV station, the newspapers are especially thin ( a National problem), we had to get a “ Hot Spot “ for the internet,& finally there is the ABC. But overall we are very happy here. We wanted a slower pace if life, easy driving, rural/ agricultural vs. over development. It’s also taken us to get used to the “ panic” over a few inches of snow... Buffalo had 18 over 2 days a Christmas. But there is more icing here, that can be nasty! Hope I don’t sound to much like the Chamber of Commerce, but that’s how it is. Thanks for reading & lets keep the thread alive. Stay Safe! Slainte 🍀🍺

a) Not a native, but went to college at VT, then moved to northern VA when I left the military.

b) I like where I currently live, but I don't plan on retiring here.

c) Reduce the traffic or at least put in public transportation and road systems that make sense

Back