Turning of the Tide (Closed for SinisterSpiders)

General Kel'aris

Darion wanted to get straight to business and so did Kel'aris. She found that she was tiring of his sarcastic wit already, and she had too many things to attend to to bother wasting too much of her time here.

"Even though your question was mockingly asked, my guards are doing well. Two of them even requested to be posted to your tent but I declined. Somehow I didn't think it would go very well for you if they did." She stepped further into the room and looked a the chains. "The new jewellery ill becomes you. It is sad that a warrior such as yourself is chained to a bed while battle rages outside. It must be ever so frustrating."

Kel'aris walked over to the opposite side of the tent grabbed a stool that was by his cot, placing it beside his bed. She sat down and looked at him seriously.

"Please tell me who you are." She said. "And don't bother with false aliases or fanciful tales. You have nothing to lose by answering, yet almost everything to gain.... That is, of course, unless you like being chained to a cot."

Darion wouldn't have needed more than one guess to figure out which pair of guards she'd referred to, so he did owe Kel'aris at least a little for that. That feeling though, only persisted as long as her second statement. His fists did slowly clench and unclench at her words, but he made no move to rage fruitlessly against the chains that bound him so. He instead looked on as she grabbed a stool and placed it beside his cot so she could regard him with a serious look.

As he listened to Kel'aris' final statement, Darion held her green gaze, noticing how it twinkled in the dim light of the tent. He stared into her eyes for a long time before offering up a small smile as he shook his head. "Your urgency tells me that you, though queen, are being pressured by your commanders, likely because of a defeat today I dare say." Darion spoke confidently, his tone indicating that he did not doubt the truth of his own words. "You also haven't been able to find out anything definitive about me, and that infuriates them even more. You say that I have everything to gain, but I highly doubt being used as a political pawn or being sent to the front lines counts as gain. Do you?"

Darion let his words hang between the two of them for several long moments before he spoke up once more. "I'll humor you on one condition though. My secret remains between the two of us alone. You dismiss your guards, leaving us alone, with me in my current situation, and I'll tell you what you want to know." There was no question in Darion's tone. He was giving her the chance to hear what she wanted to know, but only if she met his condition.

General Kel'aris

"I must concede that you were right on a few counts. Yes, even though I am the General I am being pressured by my Commanders to find out more about you. However, my urgency is not due to that; rather that I have more pressing things to be doing with my time. You are also right about losing a battle. We had to retreat when the human forces caught up with us before we could reach our Eastern Front forces. We aren't defeated though, so you can rest assured that this will not be the last battle you will miss out on."

Kel'aris looked into his young face and the corner of her mouth tipped up in a smile.

"And the fact that you mention that you will be used as a political pawn only confirms what I have discovered about you. I found it interesting the other day when you slipped up as you spoke to me.... Would you have stood to the last soldier, knowing what fate awaited you at the hands of my f...." She repeated his words to him, her eyes looking at him intensely as she did so. With a sigh she got to her feet and ran her hands down her leather and mail clad legs.

"As for you telling me what I want to know, I can't promise that what you say will remain between us alone. Between us, perhaps, but alone? No. So if you will not tell me I will return to my Commanders and tell them as much. If they decide to interrogate you using other, less civilised methods, I will not be able to intervene as I have tried the easier route. Good day Darion." Kel'aris turned and begun to walk out of the tent.

"This won't be the first battle you lose highness. You mentioned before about the difference in how your people and the humans value life. That value is often because of the number of lives that can be spared or wasted. In your case however, each one you lose is a friend gone forever."

After he spoke, Darion listened to he rest of what Kel'aris had to say and truthfully, he wasn't surprised that she'd figured out who he was. His own mistake had led her to him. When she turned to leave after her last statement though, he found himself reluctant to do something, but he knew he had to do it all the same.

"Kel'aris wait!" Darion called out, figuring that calling her by her name would at least get her to stop, even if it did lead to punishment of some sort. "And if I am who you think, a half-elf bastard that is still the closest thing that your true foe has to an heir what would have come from admitting it sooner? Do I really have any other fate to look forward to than the fate of my father, my true father? We both know that your people won't trust me to fight beside them, nor trust my words about your foes strategies. So what else would you have for?"

Darion did not like having to put himself out there, revealing to Kel'aris who he truly was, but there wasn't a whole lot of choice. He was at her mercy, a mercy sadly enough, that he probably didn't deserve.

Last edited:
General Kel'aris

"And if I am who you think, a half-elf bastard that is still the closest thing that your true foe has to an heir what would have come from admitting it sooner?"

There.

He'd said it.

Kel'aris still not sure of his identity when she decided to test the waters with her statement. Darion had just confirmed it for her. One thing that he said, however, gave her pause to thought.

Kel'aris stopped walking when he called her name, not turning just yet. What had he meant by true father? So, he was the heir to the king yet the king was not his father? That could only mean that his mother was the Queen and his father was an elf...

Kel'aris' mouth fell open when another though came to mind. Not now, she told herself, I will have to think more upon that later.

"You need not worry about my people not fighting alongside you. You have a lot of work to do to earn my trust before I let you anywhere near my people again with a weapon in your hand."

Kel'aris turned, eyes appraising him, as she took a step closer to the cot.

"If I ask you questions now Darion, will you answer me honestly?" She asked, head tilting to the side slightly as she looked deep into his eyes. "I don't have the time or energy to bandy about with words, and I can tell you that any games on your part will not work in your favour."

Darion listened to Kel'aris' words, and he stared into her eyes for a long time as he considered his options. There weren't many options though, and even less of those few ended positively for him.

"I reserve the right to not answer questions of my choosing, but the the answers I do give will be the truth. Is that enough for you?" Darion knew he was taking a chance of spending another long day by himself, but he had to stand his ground on some level, or he knew that the queen was likely to walk all over him, and he was not about to let that happen, not if he could help it.

General Kel'aris

"That is fair," Kel'aris conceded with a sharp nod of her head. She walked back to the bedside and sat down on the stool before looking at Darion again and taking in his half-elf, half-human features. He really was a good mix of both races, taking the best features of each half and mixing them together in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

"I would appreciate it if you would please tell me more about your parents. Your birth parents, that is." Kel'aris said. She knew that this was quite an invasive question to start with, but if didn't answer now it was unlikely that he would answer any time soon anyway.

Darion was glad that Kel'aris agreed to his terms, but he let out an audible sigh when he heard her first question. His head bowed, and he shook it slowly before letting out another long sigh and starting to speak.

"My mother was the wife of your enemy before he banished her for having an affair with an elven prisoner. He might not have banished her, as it was before this war began, but when she gave birth to me, a half breed bastard, her fate was sealed. Not only had she failed to get pregnant for him, but when she finally did conceive, it was to somebody he couldn't possibly pass of as his own blood." Darion paused briefly, lifting his gaze to meet Kel'aris' before continuing once more. "She, as I said, was banished, and my father was publicly executed. War was declared on your people the following day."

Darion let his words hang in the air, waiting for Kel'aris' next question, but already dreading anything else she might ask.

General Kel'aris

Kel'aris took a few moments to digest that answer. When she had first met him there was a small part of her that had wondered... Now that she knew his age there was no doubting it. She knew who his father was now, she had met him countless times before this war had begun. It also confirmed her people's suspicions about the reasons behind his execution.

"If I am not mistaken your father was Landion Felreden. He was the brother of the Late General and our Ambassador in Human King's city." Kel'aris said, her voice soft and pensive. "And you are right; my people declared war as soon as we got word of the public execution. We were given no warning of the execution, no reasons for it, no justifications. Not that there would have been; it goes against every law and moral of Humans and Elves to slay an ambassador. To kill someone in such a position, in addition to being their hearth host, is a grievous offence. Landion's execution was the final hurt of an old injury that had been paining Human and Elf relations for a long time."

Kel'aris stopped talking and looked away from Darion for a moment. She would need to think on this before deciding if and how to share this information with her Commanders.

"Tell me Darion, how did the King keep you a secret? How is it that you sit before me, not only alive, but as a powerful member of his army?"

Though Darion listened to Kel'aris' words about who his father was, he only paid a slight bit of heed to them. He'd long since accepted who and what he was, and that his father's actions had been petty and driven by anger and jealousy. He didn't need to know who his father was to know that much.

As Kel'aris turned away from him, Darion turned from her as well, almost thinking that the conversation was over. When she spoke though, his gaze returned to her, a rather bemused look in his elven eyes. He made to turn into a more comfortable position on his side, and briefly forgot about the manacles that bound him, forgot that is, until they restricted the movement with a metallic clatter. He ignored it though, and spoke.

"We're talking about a man who murdered an ambassador and went to war, lying to his subjects as he did so, a man who banished his wife for her transgressions without, or so I'm told, a second thought. He'd have murdered me if he had a legitimate heir of his own. As it stood though, half-breed baster or no, I am still the closest thing he has to an heir. As for the secret, all it takes is a single death of a nursery attendant as an example to the rest. He quashed the rest of the rumors of mu mother's pregnancy with a story of a stillborn. From that point on, nobody cared about me."

Darion paused then, sighing softly as he tried to get comfortable on the cot once more. He did continue speaking shortly after that sigh though. "As for how I joined his army, that much is simple enough. The guards outside my door had grown lax over the years, and since my father had allowed me to study swordplay to keep me quiet and generally entertained, it wasn't overly difficult to take them by surprise and subdue them. The ensuing flight wasn't overly long. I escaped out the window, and once I made it to the ground, I just hid out for a while, letting everybody think that I had skipped town. I needed money though, and life as a mercenary was the best bet, giving me an excuse to cover my head. It's not too hard to hide what you are when your life depends on it."

Just as he'd done when he finished speaking before, Darion kept his gaze on Kel'aris

Though Darion listened to Kel'aris' words about who his father was, he only paid a slight bit of heed to them. He'd long since accepted who and what he was, and that his father's actions had been petty and driven by anger and jealousy. He didn't need to know who his father was to know that much.

As Kel'aris turned away from him, Darion turned from her as well, almost thinking that the conversation was over. When she spoke though, his gaze returned to her, a rather bemused look in his elven eyes. He made to turn into a more comfortable position on his side, and briefly forgot about the manacles that bound him, forgot that is, until they restricted the movement with a metallic clatter. He ignored it though, and spoke.

"We're talking about a man who murdered an ambassador and went to war, lying to his subjects as he did so, a man who banished his wife for her transgressions without, or so I'm told, a second thought. He'd have murdered me if he had a legitimate heir of his own. As it stood though, half-breed baster or no, I am still the closest thing he has to an heir. As for the secret, all it takes is a single death of a nursery attendant as an example to the rest. He quashed the rest of the rumors of mu mother's pregnancy with a story of a stillborn. From that point on, nobody cared about me."

Darion paused then, sighing softly as he tried to get comfortable on the cot once more. He did continue speaking shortly after that sigh though. "As for how I joined his army, that much is simple enough. The guards outside my door had grown lax over the years, and since my father had allowed me to study swordplay to keep me quiet and generally entertained, it wasn't overly difficult to take them by surprise and subdue them. The ensuing flight wasn't overly long. I escaped out the window, and once I made it to the ground, I just hid out for a while, letting everybody think that I had skipped town. I needed money though, and life as a mercenary was the best bet, giving me an excuse to cover my head. It's not too hard to hide what you are when your life depends on it."

Just as he'd done when he finished speaking before, Darion kept his gaze on Kel'aris, letting her judge his words for herself.

Darion made a fair point about the King's moral abyss; it was one thing that her people noted in that leader that excelled beyond any of his predecessors. His story made sense, and he had stated that he would give his word on it, so Kel'aris didn't waste any time doubting it.

"How is it that you came to be trained by the Tempest?" She asked. The Tempest was famous amongst his people and infamous amongst her own, she couldn't imagine someone of his stature (in such a class-driven society), teaching just any mercenary.

"Ah yes, The Tempest. I had a feeling we'd get around to him soon enough." Darion said with a smile. "That is part of the reason why I believe you will lose this war if you don't change your ways and tactics Kel'aris." Darion paused, wondering what the queen would think of him addressing her by name, as an equal.

"The king, and the human army gladly take mercenaries of any kind, recognizing that, though they are often less skilled, increasing the number of your forces is often enough. He hired The Tempest to train some of his men, and when I heard about it, I naturally showed up. He tested all of us thoroughly, since not everybody has the natural talent to do that which he requires of them, and if they're not up for the task, then they are not worth his time. The Tempest is the kind of man who cares only for his craft and demonstrating it. As such, he cares little for the appearance of those he agrees to train. When he didn't ask me to remove my helmet, the king, who was also there, didn't either." Darion chuckled at that before continuing. "In the end, he found only seven of us worthy of his training. Despite that small number though, you saw what just seven people who learned from him for such a short time could do." Darion's voice dropped a little lower then, and his gaze turned serious as he met Kel'aris' once more. "Imagine what a larger force would be able to accomplish. What kind of army could hope to stand against such a force?"

General Kel'aris

"How many of you were tested by the Tempest?" Kel'aris asked, ignoring his dire sounding warnings about losing the war. He was young, he had not experienced the way that her kind fought and won wars. They had been perfecting their craft for centuries, and most of their soldiers had lived for as long.

"I cannot say for certain how many of us were tested. Only the seven of us passed his tests with flying colors. When the king sees how well the other six did though, I imagine The Tempest will be training another batch soon enough. As far as they are aware, one of us is captured, but the other six killed those fifty men of yours before finally falling."

General Kel'aris

"As far as they are aware." Kel'aris acknowledged with a slight incline of her head. "However, as far as they are aware their troops were trampled by twelve mammoths. We managed to track and kill or apprehend anyone who ran from the battle. We are quite certain that the only news the humans will receive is what we will send them." Kel'aris explained.

"You said that the Tempest was only part of the reason you thought we'd lose this war. What was the other part?" She asked, looking at the half breed before her.

It was hard for Kel'aris to believe that it was him. After all of these years speculating about the reason for Landion's execution, here it was right in front of her. Of course, the Human King was prone to fits of anger and waves of emotional irrationality. If Landion had a sexual relationship with the Queen, as Darion seemed to be proof of, then he did commit treason. Despite the fact that he had diplomatic immunity due to his station, it was thoroughly improper for the king to behead him without so much as a warning to his homeland.

Darion did look like his father slightly. It was the colouring that could give it away. his features were too evenly divided between human and elf to tell which would have belonged to which parent, but the Queen's line had all been of a different shade to Darion, and his hair and skin colour reminded Kel'aris of Landion.

Darion couldn't stop the chuckle that slipped past his lips when Kel'aris made mention of his comrades being trampled by mammoths. Even as he did so though, he saw Kel'aris tilt her head just so as she watched him, almost seeming to study him. He found himself wondering what she was thinking, but was distracted by such thoughts when her next question came.

"Your pride. Every soldier has his place in wars as these, be they loyal soldiers that have been such their entire lives, or mercenaries whose loyalties lie with the biggest purse. You restrict your ranks to only members of your own kind, and though you are more skilled for it, you give up size for it, and the size of one's army can be a very large and determining factor in an open fight."

After he finished speaking, Darion studied Kel'aris for a while, trying to decide what to do next. In the end, he did resign himself to another question, even if he did doubt that he'd get the truth from her. "Why do you look at me so Kel'aris? What is on your mind?" He knew that he had no right to ask such a question, let alone use her name in it, but Darion was already a prisoner of war. How much worse could things get?

General Kel'aris

Pride.

That was what he claimed would be their downfall. Did he know that it was what had kept them alive for so long in the first place? The problem with humans was that they never lived long enough to understand the true meaning of pride. Their lives were as fickle as their whims, and true pride meant nothing to someone who would most likely not live to see their great grandchildren.

Darion was right about one thing though; they did not open the ranks of their army to outsiders. Unlike the humans, they had more to protect than their lives. The heart of their civilisation held the history, lore and knowledge of their people. It wasn't something that the Elves would ever considering gambling. Accepting sellswords into their ranks would mean that they would be opening their culture up to people who would not understand it.

But, if Darion was right, if their lack of numbers was something that could cause their downfall.... Was it better to die with their culture intact or to survive with it ruined?

Kel'aris looked at the half-elf half-human before her. He was someone that represented their culture gone awry. Kel'aris had no problem with half-breeds, per say, but what she did wonder was what would be so attractive about a human that an elf would be willing to take such a risk to be with one?

A relationship between two elves was natural. They each were likely to live for long enough for their relationship to run its course; whether they lasted for centuries or ended after weeks. A human, however, was a very unpromising investment. Even if you loved a human with all of your being, it wouldn't be enough to keep them with you. Their mortality was certain, and it was likely that you would watch your lover wither and die before the true feelings of elvish love took hold of you.

Her name on Darion's lips broke Kel'aris from her reverie. She ignored his casual use of her proper name and measured him up with her gaze.

"What is on my mind?" She asked with a slight laugh "There isn't enough time in this day to tell you how much there is on my mind. My main concern in this tent, however, is what to do with you."

"I am sad to say that that is something you have to figure out on your own Kel'aris. We've already concluded that I am not to be trusted with a weapon, and I doubt any of your men would listen to my words about strategies, be they yours or your enemies."

Despite his words, there wasn't any regret in Darion's tone. He was simply speaking honestly to Kel'aris, and likely telling her things she already knew.

After he spoke, Darion gave Kel'aris time to think about his words, though his brown gaze didn't move from her.

General Kel'aris

Kel'aris smiled ruefully as Darion held her gaze. Darion had spoked truthfully; his fate was now in her hands, and the hands of her people. Even though most of her army now knew about the presence of a half-breed amongst them, she was the only one who knew his true identity. Part of her was extremely tempted to tell her captains; if they knew who Darion was it might help them to see him as something more than an enemy. One of her captains, Kinstril Felreden, would be particularly interested in seeing his brother's half human child.

As interesting as it would be to see the reactions of her captains when they learned the truth, Kel'aris decided that it would probably be best to keep that information to herself for the time being. Even unidentied Darion's presence had caused a considerable stir. Best to let the waters calm before unleashing the storm.

"It is time for me to take my leave." Kel'aris said, "I thank you for your cooperation and your honesty."

Kel'aris turned and left the tent without looking back, already trying to figure out her next course of action. It didn't take long for her captains to find her and, much to her annoyance, it was Lehrik. Usually Lehrik was one of her most trusted advisers and oldest friends. A century ago they had even spent some time together as lovers. Now their roles required them to have a different sort of relationship and it worked well for them. They knew each other well enough to work together seamlessly, but without the sense of entitlement that came with such a firm relationship.

Kel'aris had sensed a shift in her relationship with Lehrik of late, and it concerned her. His warning tone when Kel'aris had approached Darion was the first concrete sign of the change. There was something about the half-breed that set even her finest warriors on edge, and Lehrik on edge.

"What did you find out?" Lehrik questioned as he fell into step with Kel'aris. Normally she would tell him and him alone. She would count on him for sage council and fresh ideas. Today though, his voice was too insistent, too pushy, too much like that of the advisers she was tiring of.

"Much and more." Kel'aris said evasively as her eyes scanned the row of the tents they were walking through.

"And?" Lehrik probed.

"And nothing. I need some time to think about what I have learned before I decide how to proceed." Kel'aris told him, her voice clipped. "Do you think that the troops will be ready to leave by morning tomorrow? We need to continue our march."

"Kel'aris, what is it?" Lehrik's hand caught her shoulder and Kel'aris stopped cold. She turned and looked at Lehrik, perfectly curved eyebrows furrowed. Lehrik shifted uncomfortably before removing his hand and looking at her apologetically.

"Nothing concerning Captian. " Kel'aris responded, sure to emphasise his title and remind him of his professional responsibilities. "Please find Romuni and see that he allows the prisoner to get some fresh air today. He should be safe to walk around the medical tent for a spell, but see that he doesn't get more than five tents from home either way."

Lehrik made to argue but Kel'aris would hear none of it. Her patience had worn thin and her mind fatigued. She made her way back to her sleep tent to meditate and clear her mind, hoping that a solution would come to mind for her newly acquired problem.

"You're welcome highness." Darion said as honestly as he could manage. For even as he spoke, Kel'aris was already turning to leave. He did also notice that she didn't turn back once as she left him along once more. It wasn't until he was alone that he finally let himself fall back against the cot with a frustrated groan, ignoring the sound of his shackles rattling against the metal bars of the cot.

Darion dozed on his cot for a while, irritated and bored. It came as a bit of a shock though, when a group of four elves entered the tent and moved towards him. He expected the worst for but a brief moment, but those worries faded when he saw and felt them loosing the shackles that bound him to the cot. He let out a soft sigh and rubbed each of his wrists with the opposite hand, trying to reestablish proper circulation before finally rising from the cot at the behest of the elf that seemed to be in charge. The man didn't say a word to Darion, though he could hardly be surprised at that, he was too busy at being surprised at the fact that he was being allowed to stand, let alone walk. His joy at having his hands unshackled dried up though, when that same elf put him in shackles once more. Time though, one of the elven leader's wrists was shackled together with one of his own, ensuring that he could not run far, if he chose to try.

Though he'd already suspected it, the reason for the four guards was apparent enough when Darion exited the medical tent. He caught the attention of every elf in the area, and it was not the kind of attention he wanted to be catching. The guards were there as much for his protection as to supervise him, and he was silently thankful for that. This walk, even short as it ended up being, would have been infinitely more dangerous if he were alone.

The walk itself went only as far as five tents away from the large medical tent, though he was allowed to make a wide circle around it at that distance to stretch his legs, another thing that he was thankful for. Even as he walked through his enemies camp, Darion's brown elven gaze wasn't casting back and forth or trying to study or examine any sort of layout. No, it was set at a fixed height and place, almost as though he were watching something that only he could see.

Darion found himself truly sad when the short, but enjoyable walk had to end, and he found himself taking in a long and deep breath of the fresh air before finally retiring to 'his' tent once more. He didn't try to run when his shackles were loosed once more, but rather allowed himself to be bound to the cot once more, figuring that he would probably already be dead by now if these men had meant to hurt him.

General Kel'aris

Kel'aris had let out a silent breath of relief when Romuni had reported to her after escorting Darion around the camp. Even though she believed that he knew better than to try something again, there was still a small seed of doubt. Despite that Kel'aris knew that she would have to remain vigilant and not only of Darion himself. The way that her troops were reacting to his presence was unprecedented, and she wasn't sure whether news of his parentage would sooth or inflame it.

As it was Kel'aris decided to keep her new found knowledge to herself for the next week of their march towards their homelands. Romuni and his fellows had escorted Darion on more walks in that time, and the frequency had been increased to twice a day. Now that they were on the move Darion was being kept strapped to the back of a covered cart, and Kel'aris had a feeling that the walking would be a much needed reprieve for him.

By all reports Darion's wounds were healing well. If Darion were ever in a position where he could fight for her people, the last thing she wanted was for him to be lamed because of his imprisonment. The confinement and injuries would have weakened him somewhat, but as long as he was allowed to exercise every now and again he would be able to recover with enough effort.

The week had given Kel'aris some time to think. At their current point in their journey they were three weeks away from their home city. At times their scouts had reported that the humans were hot on their heels, but as they passed through the valleys and into the forest the reports of their followers became fewer and further between.

Kel'aris pulled her steed out of the company and her personal guard fell out with her. When she looked up she saw that Lehrik had noticed and was directing his horse towards hers.

"General, what is it?" He asked.

"I need to talk to the prisoner." She told him, his expression hardened slightly.

"Which prisoner?"

The look that Kel'aris gave Lehrik was full of disdain. They both knew quite well who she wanted to see so his little game was fruitless. Instead of answering she ignored him and turned her mount. As she rode backwards alongside the surging column of her people Lehrik kept pace with her, her guards a several feet behind.

"Your interest in the half-breed has not gone unnoticed." Lehrik said as they passed the tail end of the riders and begun moving past the slower moving elves that were marching on their own two feet.

"What interest?" Kel'aris asked as she nodded solemnly at the soldiers who looked up at her with unbridled curiosity in their eyes.

"How many times have you personally seen any of the other prisoners?" Lehrik asked, his voice a challenge.

"How many of the other prisoners are half elf?" She shot back. This was the second time she had sought Darion out, one would hardly call it a common occurrence.

"Kel'aris-"

"General."

"General, the captains are starting to wonder if your obsession with this prisoner is stealing your attention from more important matters at hand."

"Is this how you feel captain Lehrik?" Kel'aris asked without looking at him.

"Well... No." He said grudgingly. "You know I trust you, but the others are growing restless. Pray, tell us what you know so that we can understand. You are the General, but you do not lead alone. It is unwise to isolate yourself from your advisers."

"Thank you for your counsel." Kel'aris said before digging her heels into the sides of her mount and making her way back to the baggage train where the wounded were being transported in carts. She could hear the hooves of her companions horses behind her.

Lehrik was right in one way, it was never wise to ignore your advisers and comrades. If she knew how to handle the situation at hand she would have been willing to consult with them. However, she knew that the parentage of their prisoner would cause a divide amongst her people and she wasn't sure if they could afford that right now. Sometimes silence was a wiser option. Nevertheless, Kel'aris needed to speak to the sullen half-breed again. In the last week she had slowly come to see a possible path through this political swamp, and she wanted to know if Darion would be able to see it through.

When Kel'aris reached the hospital carts one of the medics directed her to the right one. Darion was in a cart all of his own, which was a terrible waste of resources, but they dare not risk any of their injured in his presence- however well behaved he had appeared. Besides, the stories of his conduct had come to her after filtering through many levels, and she was hoping that direct contact would help her to ascertain their authenticity. Kel'aris dismounted her horse and handed the reins to a medic before climbing into the cart and allowing her eyes a moment to adjust to the muted light filtering through the thick fabric covering. She could hear the drumming beat of her guards hooves just outside the cart and tried to ignore the sound; they would just have to wait.

"Good afternoon Darion." Kel'aris said as her eyes fell upon his prone figure.

Darion's next week of imprisonment was far better than the previous one. The reason for this was simple, the walks. Though they were relatively brief, and he was watched, and likely scrutinized, they were also time spent away from the confines of the tent.

The walks were particularly helpful once the camp started to move. Being bound to a bed in a moving caravan was anything comfortable, and sleep wasn't an easy thing to come by under such conditions, making every waking moment that he wasn't out walking feel like an eternity.

Of all the things going on around him though, Darion noticed the agitation his presence caused the most. He knew that everybody in the camp knew about him by now, and that despite the fact that they were curious about him, that curiosity was often overshadowed by irritation. Many of them would likely be glad to be rid of him at the earliest convenience, especially if he'd come to them under different circumstances. As it stood though, he was likely simply viewed as a tool and a necessary evil.

Despite the constant sounds and motion going on around his tent, Darion heard the difference between the normal commotion and the sound of a rider approaching his 'prison'. As such, his gaze was already turned towards the entrance when Kel'aris. He'd have risen at her entrance, if not for the cot that he was shackled to, a cot which was also bolted to the floor of the cart as it were. As it was, he was simply able to nod his head in acknowledgement of her presence and greeting.

"Good afternoon Highness." Darion said simply, knowing that any attempt at pleasantries might be misinterpreted or simply blow out up in his face.

General Kel'aris

Kel'aris acknowledged Darion's greeting with a curt nod as she stepped completely into the cart, letting the flap fall down behind her.

"Last time we spoke you asked for my discretion when we discussed your true identity. Thus far Darion, I have kept your secret. This is not only because you have asked it, but because it has suited me. However, the others are becoming more and more suspicious about who you are, and as we near our capital city I have come to believe that telling them might be the best option for my people and for you." Kel'aris informed him.

"I have weighed up the alternative consequences for you and for my captains, and I think this is be the best course of action. I am hoping that the threats of retaliation against you might lessen because of your true parentage. For most of my captains threatening a human is one thing, but threatening the bastard born heir of the human King, and son of the Queen and our late Ambassador might given them pause to thought."

Kel'aris watched Darion as she spoke, wanting to see how he would react to the situation.

"In addition, the knowledge of your true pedigree might be enough to earn you more... forgiving accommodations when we reach the capital. You will, however, find yourself in the middle of quite a political storm with many different people having opinions about how best to use or dispose of you."

"If I reveal your parentage, I would like you to be there when I do it. Before I do, though, I am curious as to your thoughts on this plan of action."

Darion listened to Kel'aris' words with a heavy heart. He held her gaze stoically from start to finish though, and it wasn't until she was done talking that he finally lowered his head, shaking it as he did so, even as he let out a soft chuckle.

"Why do you think I was so adamant about keeping my bastard heritage a secret Kel'aris? It was for this exact reason. I knew the second I was surrounded by your men that this would turn into a political catastrophe, with me right in the middle of it."

After he spoke, Darion went quiet for a little bit, trying to compose his thoughts. he'd known it would come to this, and he'd given it a lot of thought, but all the thinking and planning in the world couldn't change who he was and the situation he was in.

"My only question to you is this. What use could we possibly expect them to have for me? We know that they, like your men, won't trust me at my word about anything I say, strategically or otherwise, be it theirs or their enemies."

Darion tried to keep think positive, but the closer they got to the elven capital, the harder that became. He actually found himself wishing that he'd died beside the other six that had been trained by The Tempest. Even as that thought came to his head though, Darion had to dismiss it. He'd been the best of the seven of them in training, and he'd proven it on the battlefield. He hadn't survived that battle by being a coward that wished for death.

When Darion's brown gaze lifted, it was filled with a new determination, one he hoped Kel'aris would see, and hopefully even wonder at.

Back