TN proposing 4 amendments to its Constitution on the Nov. ballot...including banning slavery

butters

High on a Hill
  • The first proposed amendment would add the state’s right-to-work law to the constitution.

• The second would change parts of the constitution regarding the exercise of power and duties of the governor during disability.

• The third proposal would prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude. Currently, the constitution states, “That slavery and involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime, whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, are forever prohibited in this state.”

• The fourth would delete a section of the constitution that prohibits ministers of the gospel and priests of any denomination from holding a seat in the General Assembly.

they'll appear as YES/NO options and a majority would be required to make them happen

but, i can't help being surprised (this is TN, i suppose i shouldn't be) that TN STILL finds it constitutional that someone convicted of a crime may be enslaved!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...pc=U531&cvid=5dd3dcc5d297405dcb4a686574134db6

That probably just deals with work farms, chain gangs and in prison work.

The bigger one to me is the fourth one. I'm opposed to allowing clerics in legislatures.

• The first proposed amendment would add the state’s right-to-work law to the constitution.

• The second would change parts of the constitution regarding the exercise of power and duties of the governor during disability.

• The third proposal would prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude. Currently, the constitution states, “That slavery and involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime, whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, are forever prohibited in this state.”

• The fourth would delete a section of the constitution that prohibits ministers of the gospel and priests of any denomination from holding a seat in the General Assembly.

they'll appear as YES/NO options and a majority would be required to make them happen

but, i can't help being surprised (this is TN, i suppose i shouldn't be) that TN STILL finds it constitutional that someone convicted of a crime may be enslaved!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...pc=U531&cvid=5dd3dcc5d297405dcb4a686574134db6

Dollars to donuts, involuntary servitude does not include forced pregnancy.

The “except as a punishment for crime” clause in the 13th amendment, however, allowed southern states to criminalize Blackness in ways that let them retain some degree of forced labor, and over time it has contributed to the problem of mass incarceration in the U.S.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...pc=U531&cvid=204d48b9a59944959ed45fc755ab7afe

on the ballot for 5 states come november: Alabama, Louisiana, Oregon, Tennessee and Vermont —with the Al. proposal removing 'all racist language' from its Constitution, whereas TN and Vermont will add language to clarify there are no exceptions as currently exist.

The UK House of Lords has bishops of the Church of England as 'Lords Spiritual'. Generally, they don't contribute much unless the Church of England is being debated because it is our official state religion (for England only).

That probably just deals with work farms, chain gangs and in prison work.

The bigger one to me is the fourth one. I'm opposed to allowing clerics in legislatures.

Thirteenth Amendment​

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

----------

I think prison labor should be exploited to the greatest extent possible. Convicted felons do not deserve remedial education, job training, and recreational opportunities. They have debts to pay society. Incarceration should be a horrible experience.

Last edited:

Thirteenth Amendment​

Section 1.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.

Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

----------

I think prison labor should be exploited to the greatest extent possible. Convicted felons do not deserve remedial education, job training, and recreational opportunities. They have debts to pay society. Incarceration should be a horrible experience.
If you don't prepare them for acclimation back into society, education and/or job training, you re-enforce the odds of recidivism. Creating the revolving door effect.

It needs to be a deterrent and in extreme cases, simply to keep the animals caged so that they do not harm good people.

It's still in the US Constitution as well

If you don't prepare them for acclimation back into society, education and/or job training, you re-enforce the odds of recidivism. Creating the revolving door effect.
Efforts to rehabilitate criminals usually fail, regardless of what they are, and how much they cost. T he only factor that reliably reduces recidivism is age.

Slavery died by free market forces. Let it stay dead. Now focus on tax slavery, which is what it morphed into.

Back