Tips and Constructive Criticism

Agreed. But if we're talking about butt stuff, the only acceptable flavor is Rocky Road.

Rocky? Are you sure?

I don't know about you, but if I'm headed down that path I want it to be as smooth as possible.

I'm thinking more like dark chocolate gelato.

At the risk of seriousness, I'll challenge an assumption here:

Stories are best when narrated in 3rd person perspective as it provides opportunities to view the situation from both characters' perspectives, know their inner feelings & emotions.

This is like saying that that the best songs are the ones with the most notes in them.

Sometimes what's powerful in a story is what can't be seen. Trying to figure out what the fuck is going on from incomplete and conflicting information is part of the human experience, and sometimes it's good to reflect that in storytelling.

Anybody who's ever said "I want you"/"I love you" to somebody without knowing whether they feel the same way, whether they'll respond with an embrace or a rejection, understands the powerful emotions that come with having only one perspective. Presenting the other perspective and telling the reader what the reaction will be can suck all the tension out of that moment.

At the risk of seriousness, I'll challenge an assumption here:

This is like saying that that the best songs are the ones with the most notes in them.

Sometimes what's powerful in a story is what can't be seen. Trying to figure out what the fuck is going on from incomplete and conflicting information is part of the human experience, and sometimes it's good to reflect that in storytelling.

Anybody who's ever said "I want you"/"I love you" to somebody without knowing whether they feel the same way, whether they'll respond with an embrace or a rejection, understands the powerful emotions that come with having only one perspective. Presenting the other perspective and telling the reader what the reaction will be can suck all the tension out of that moment.

OP was dealing out considerations for thought as absolutes (especially as his points further unfolded) and it's hard to take seriously someone so sure of their positions/unopen to thoughtful discussion, further consideration.

Popularly, yeah, 3rd *can* offer more intimacy and those who use is *typically* do a more thorough job of using the context furthering tools afforded them. But it's no absolute and, I'd argue, the bulk of author's here are hobbyist and many are naturally better at writing 1st well vs. a stumbling attempt at 3rd deeply. If they transition to the point that they want to explore/learn 3rd, they will do so.

I struggle to see who the chiding was for. The demographic of those who *can* write an intimate 3rd well but don't b/c of some feeling of stigma seems terribly small.

The emotional obfuscation and narrow perspective of 1st has been a godsend to me in a number of stories. Even had to rewrite a near completely work, essentially tearing it down to the studs, to find out my themes were better supported by 1st.

It sucked feeling I was redoing work I had already done but it taught me a valuable lesson that has saved me effort and 10 fold the time going forward.

People need to stop limiting themselves but if they can't, they sure as heck need to stop implying others need to limit themselves (just to make the implyer feel better about their chosen position)

Stories are best when narrated in 3rd person perspective as it provides opportunities to view the situation from both characters' perspectives, know their inner feelings & emotions.

Following up on Bramblethorn's attempt to make something serious of this, I'll add that statements that begin something like "Stories are best when . . . " and purport to state universal truths are almost always wrong. And the way you can figure out for yourself that they're wrong is simply by looking at how literature is actually written.

Reality--what people actually do--outweighs our own personal intuitions and logical assumptions about "what's what." It's human nature that we think we know more than we do and that our assumptions about what's logical are often based on unfounded or unproven assumptions. All you have to do is look at the complexity of reality to see that this is so.

Would Catcher in the Rye have been better if told in the third person, so we could have access to the thoughts of other characters in the story? Of course not. An important creative element of the story is that it's told entirely from Holden Caulfield's extremely biased, insecure, and not entirely reliable perspective. Universal statements like "3d person POV is better than 1st person POV," or vice versa, are almost always wrong. That's especially true when those statements concern creative choices. Even if the statements concern grammatical "rules," they're at best strongly recommended guidelines. Successful authors deviate from rules of grammar and punctuation all the time.

I wrote a mom-son incest story with an anal element, and, sure enough, a reader said (apparently without irony or self-awareness), "No self-respecting mom would do that!" In my creative universe, they do. And my guess is that there are some real-world moms who do, too.

As Hamlet said to his friend, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

I wrote a mom-son incest story with an anal element, and, sure enough, a reader said (apparently without irony or self-awareness), "No self-respecting mom would do that!" In my creative universe, they do. And my guess is that there are some real-world moms who do, too.

Ironic, indeed, that the general idea of a mother doing the two-backed beast with her own son doesn't attract the 'self-respecting mom' comment, but throw in anal and it's "oh no! Unbelievable! You've totally destroyed my suspension of disbelief." Although... perhaps the poster was from Arkansas/West Virginia/Mississippi*

* delete as appropriate

Ironic, indeed, that the general idea of a mother doing the two-backed beast with her own son doesn't attract the 'self-respecting mom' comment, but throw in anal and it's "oh no! Unbelievable! You've totally destroyed my suspension of disbelief." Although... perhaps the poster was from Arkansas/West Virginia/Mississippi*

* delete as appropriate
🎶 sweet home Alabama 🎵

If I experience the events through the eyes of the main character, the story is told in the first person. On the other hand, if I observe the events from an outside perspective, the story is in the third person. It's a straightforward distinction.
Being a pantser writer, I get to the end of the first paragraph and that tells me what pov the story is going to be written in - oh, okay.

The tense is usually decided then, too, but on occasion I'll rewrite the first several hundred words, because the start-out tense wasn't right. There's no science to it whatsoever, the way I write.

Folks

I've been visiting this site for over decade now (though never posted much here), only interested in mom-son stories. Without much further ado, I want to put forward few suggestions for authors to consider when creating their literary erotica fiction (only mom-son):

I've read countless stories where author's entire focus is only in describing the sex act, in such mechanical way it feels like reading an instruction manual of an IKEA product. And then they just go on from one sex act to another non-stop like there's nothing else important in life. Don't do that. Instead focus on highlighting the incest aspect of it. Build and show emotions, eroticism, how vulnerable the characters are feeling, highlight the inner conflicts, the push & pull of society pressure and the lust of breaking the taboo boundaries. Indulge the readers in an immersive reading experience where the characters appear just another normal mom-son family and yet they're also struggling to keep a darker/erotic side of their lives. Show to readers, how that mother-son couple are balancing the two sides of their lives and how the taboo nature of their coupling overlaps, contradicts or hinders their normal live.

And what is this infatuation with butt reaming the mom? Why is this some kind of must have? One moment, mother & son have taken such a giant leap of breaking the ultimate taboo and instead of focusing on the social/psychological ramifications, the very next moment son is butt reaming his mother! There's absolutely nothing, NOTHING sexual or erotic about anal sex as it relates to incest erotica between mother & her son.

And please please please, for fuck sake, do not demean mothers in your stories - moms proudly calling themselves sluts, whores for their sons. Or sons declaring mothers as their personal sluts or bitches ...Seriously?? Even in the realms of fantasies and fiction, what self-respecting woman would allow to be belittled like this, and that too, of all the people in the world by their own sons? This is such a huge turn OFF instantly. Keep a sense of reality in your story writing unless your story is about flying pigs.

Also crucially important - when the sex scenes between mothers & sons start, I think most of you authors just can't control themselves from the visuals running in their mind and they tend to write in the same flow by continuously keep referring to characters as he she, his, her, paragraphs after paragraphs, pages after pages. Who the fuck is she or he? Are you writing an mother-son incest erotica or just another bland generic adult fiction? Remember, incest fiction is more about continuously highlighting the familial bonding between the characters, more so when it comes to intimacy and sex. Remind the readers about this by more direct references such as his mother, my mom, my son, her son etc.

Lastly but not least, what's with son switching to first name basis with his mom? This is yet another big turn off - it just instantly destroys the very fabric of an incest fueled mother-son relationship and becomes yet another generic boring adult fiction. Instead show that even though mother & son are intimate, they will always be mother & son first. Gravitate the son more towards his mother for further nurturing and psychological & emotional development in life. Show us how the mother's mothering instincts & feelings towards her son still trumps all other connections between them. That's what make incest erotica stand out from any other type of erotic fiction.
Wow, that sounds real nice and well thought out there. How about you write it yourself since you know what you want in your stories and you've definitely put the time to ponder on what you like and don't like? It's sorta how a lot of us started writing. Reading stories we like, and stories which we dont... then wanting to write stuff that really is tailored to what we want the most in our literature. Clearly since there's so many stories that are written in a way that you don't like... or don't hit all the personal checks that you're hoping for, if YOU write it with everything you're hoping for in your stories... You could bring something new or uncommon to the table. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Back