"The Ruby Rose" (A "Black Sails" Adventure)

Charles didn't typically dock The Raven, preferring to have it at anchor for a quick getaway should trouble arise. But the pirate boat was heavy with loot, and unloading it via a parade of long boats would be not only time consuming but dangerous.

The ever present Lil Joe was on hand as usual. He gave the boy a Spanish merchant officer's cap they'd taken in a raid, then told the boy, "Go find Madam Chavley. Tell her Captain LaDuke wishes to speak to her."

"She no like you, Captain Charles," the boy said with unexpected knowledge about his relationship with Henri. When the pirate asked how he knew that, Lil Joe laughed loud. "Every one knows that."

Charles reached into a crate and pulled out a small leather pouch, tossing it to the boy. Lil Joe opened it and laughed with glee at the large granules of pure cane sugar. He pulled out a chunk about the size of his pinky nail and tossed it into his mouth.

"Tell your lady," Charles continued, leaning over as if telling the boy a secret, "That Captain Charles has some information she might want to know ... about a certain Captain Jack Richards ... a man she knows as Captain Jones ... and an interesting story about a missing English ketch called The Elizabeth's Pride."

He rushed the boy off without any further details. Henri was a smart woman. She didn't need any more details to know about what Charles was speaking. He smiled as he watched their impressive haul, which included several crates of silk that had been destined from England to its colonies. Charles had paid a pretty penny to one of Henri's more talkative whores for the information about the boat's route. And while it had taken them four days longer than expected and had taken them almost all the way to Virginia, they'd managed to intercept the boat and seize its valuable cargo.

Henri wouldn't be happy with Charles' hijacking of a job for which she'd hoped to profit both from the sale of the information and the resale of the goods she purchased. But fuck her. She'd made it pretty clear to him that he was nothing more than a pirate from which to buy loot. And she was nothing more to him than one of several merchants with whom Charles would dicker to get the best price for his haul.

She was nothing to him anymore...

Wasn't she?

Henri was walking down the stairs pinning up her hair as she walked down in her newest dress. It was cut a bit lower then what she normally where so her ample breasts overflowed the top a bit more then she liked. The pirates in the bar all stopped and looked at her then gave out some lewd yells and whistles. "Shut yer faces ya pigs" she yelled back with a smile.

Lil Joe came running in with sugar on his face. "Cap Charles is docked ma'am" he said with a smile. "Says he got news about Cap Jones not his real name, and a story or something wants to see ya."
"Does he now." she said as more of a statement then a question.
"You tell Cap Charles If he can be bothered to not stop in the brothel he can meet me here and i'll spot him a meal and a drink. Tell him I don't come when called like his other whores"

Lil Joes eyes got big and laughed running back down to the pier to relay the message.

Henri was interested in the tale. More so how she could spin it to her advantage. The fact that it was coming from Charles, that was an unfortunate circumstance she would endure to get what she wanted.

"Madam Henrietta says you can call on her at the brothel cause she doesn't come like another whores."

Charles hesitated for a moment at Lil Joes attempt to repeat Henri's response, then laughed aloud. "Doesn't cum like a whore."

Lil Joe stuck an open hand out, expecting more for his efforts. Charles inquired about his earlier payment, but when the boy shrugged as if he had no memory of that which the pirate was speaking, Charles gave him a coin and sent him off to tell Henri that he'd be along soon enough. He was anxious to see her, of course. Particularly after having been to sea for three weeks. But he reminded himself that on this particularly day, he had something that she would want to know. So, he calmed his nerves and tried to ignore his on again, off again erection as he supervised the unloading of The Raven.

"Distribute some coin," he told his Quartermaster, once the work was done and all of their loot had been delivered to a warehouse and recorded in its ledger. Charles intentionally didn't take the cargo straight to Henri's own warehouse, something he'd always done before. He was trying to remember that their relationship had changed very drastically the last time they'd been together. Once the room in the warehouse was locked and one of his men was stationed outside it, Charles told that part of the crew that wasn't returning to The Raven for watch duty, "Go have some fun. You've earned it."

It was then and only then that Charles made his way to Henri's tavern. It wasn't nearly as crowded as normal: his was one of only three ships in the harbor this day. He kicked some wanna-be's out of his favorite mezzanine section, and send a barmaid to go announce his presence to Henri.

She'd show up at some point, be it one minute or one hour. Charles would wait for her, of course. When she did finally arrive, he had a bottle of her favorite poison sitting out before him. He had a plan on how he was going to proceed, but once he saw her in that dress, all Charles brain could do was imagine how nice it would be to put his lips to the breasts that were practically popping out of the top of her gown.

The Gulf of Mexico:

The Ruby Rose had made her first two stops and was proceeding toward her third. They'd delivered Madam Chavley's rum to a merchant in New Orleans, then caught some favorable winds west, reaching the coast of Mexico four days sooner than Richards had expected. The Ruby Rose stayed out in the harbor, though, signaling to their party at port's edge that if they wanted their cargo, they had to come out to get it. Richards recognized the burning buildings in the city and the odd movement of people as the signs of an ongoing uprising, and he wasn't about to lose his ship to such events just weeks into its new use.

The planned pick up of tequila for delivery to Jamaica didn't happen, though. The merchant in Tampico had been robbed, then burned out by raiders. But he'd directed Richards to another merchant, who had directed the Englishman to yet a third, then a fourth, fifth, and sixth. The Ruby Rose had visited four ports by the time they found a cargo worthy of the effort.

"So, I've been contemplating surrendering myself," the Quartermaster told Richards as he looked down at the two dozen milk cows teetering about in the hold due to the unusually rough seas. "I'm thinking, what could they do to me that could be worse than this."

Richards looked to his Quartermaster with a solemn expression. Then, they laughed. Richards looked to the animals that never seemed to stop mooing. "Yes, Mister Tormay. I don't think this is what the men thought was ahead of them when they agreed to flee Port Royal with me."

"There was nothing else we could have transported?" the First Mate asked for the umpteenth time. "Nothing on Madam Chavley's list of acceptable, profitable goods."

Richards only shook his head.

"She's a handsome woman," Tormay said out of the blue after a long moment of listening to the bovine. When Richards only gave him a knowing look, Tormay smiled and asked with a blunt tone, "You're gonna get into that, right, Captain?"

Richards laughed at the crudeness of his right hand man's question. He turned away, telling him to get some men down into the hold to clean up the herd's latest deposits to the deck before they seeped indefinitely into the cracks.

The Captain went to his quarters to look over the ledger. The cows would make up for the loss of the tequila run, but there were additional problems ahead of the Ruby Red. In the weeks and months to come, Richards and his crew would find themselves unable to port in Puerto Rico because after word of the mutiny of The Elizabeth's Pride reached the city; and after that they'd find themselves in a cannon fire exchange with pirates that, while rather short lived, damage-lacking, would still prevent them from pulling into Port-au-Prince for a badly needed break from the sea.

All in all, by the time they got back to Nassau, the crew of the Ruby Rose would be rethinking this career of legitimate seamanship.

Henri came out of the kitchen with two plates of food and a girl followed her with their drinks. Charles was already getting drunk in his usual spot. Placing the plates on a table which would require him getting up and coming over and being civilized she sat down. "Come eat Mr. LaDuke, and tell me a tale."

Reluctantly he rose up and walked to the table sitting down. His eyes still fixated on her breasts. Henri snapped her fingers to wake him out of his trance. "My eyes are up here Mr. LaDuke" she said cooly. "You had a tale?" she questioned.

Charles flinched at the snapping of Henri's fingers before his face, then smiled broadly.

"My eyes are up here Mr. LaDuke"

"Yes, they may be, but..." he began, pulling out the chair and dropping into as he finished, "...it isn't your eyes that I want in my mouth."

"You had a tale?"

Charles didn't immediately tell her what he knew, instead lifting a scorched mutton chop to his mouth to take a healthy bite. As he chewed, he wondered whether it had been the tavern's cook -- who Charles had fucked bent over a table one night, then ignored the next time she'd flashed him a tit -- or whether it had been Henri herself who had decided to serve him the tough mutton rather than a nice slice of tender lamb.

"We came across a Spanish merchant ship 'bout a week ago," he began, washing the meat down with some of Henri's fine alcohol. "Seems an English Captain stole a ship out of Carolina a few weeks back. Just about the time your new friend Captain Jones would have been leaving the Colonies to sail this direction."

Though he hadn't said then and wouldn't say now anything about it, Henri had learned of the new Captain's legitimate venture before he and The Raven departed almost a month ago. Charles had spread some coins and made some inquiries, as was the way they all operated in Nassau. And he'd learned that his girl had shown in interest in this Captain Jones that seemed to go well beyond an interest in what he might be able to do for her on the high seas.

Oh, Henri didn't have to tell the women close to her that she had an inkling to part her thighs for some new man in New Providence. Women knew the women around themselves well enough to infer from just a glance, a word, or a blush; and it was those women -- those slits close to Henri -- who Charles kept close to as well, behind her back.

If what they told him was true, Henri was waiting anxiously for the new wanna-be-pirate's return. Charles' lust filled mind was telling him that without a doubt, Henri was also anxiously waiting to mount that new Captain's sword and find with him what she couldn't find with Charles: fucking respect ... and a respectable fuck.

"This Captain Jones ... is actually a British mutineer named Captain Richards," Charles went on. It burned him up inside to think of this Richards might be able to give Henri what he himself couldn't. He hoped that Henri's learning of the honorable man's lie might ruin the chances that the two ever found that kind of relationship with one another. But, would it? "The Admiralty has dispatched three warships to locate and detain Richards."

He sipped from his liquor, then said with a suggestive tone, "They've put a price on his head of 2,000 pounds. Three if they get his crew. Five if they get their boat back. With that kind of money, I could retire to a little island someplace. Not that I would ... I mean, not without you. And I think we both know that that ship has sailed."

Henri simply raised her eyebrow at his lewd comment about wanting to put her breast in his mouth. Instead she took a bite of her tender meat and dabbed the corners of her mouth with the napkin cloth. She listened partly to what he was saying.

"I see" she said her face unfazed by the story he told her. Well she knew he wasn't telling her the whole truth. But who here didn't have a past? How or why he was here didn't concern her. The price on his head however did slightly. Especially with him carrying her cargo.

"Honor among thieves" she muttered. It was a subtle reminder that if a pirate turned another in for a ransom, not only would he be blackballed from the island. But there would be an even larger price on his head for the betrayal. There were few rules that were strictly enforced. This is one everyone had agreed upon. Everyone on this island was a criminal of some sort. To compromise Nassau, which was a safe haven for many of the pirates families wasn't an option.

Henri had heard of the many methods of torture used. Even on occasion had some of those inflicted when dire circumstances required it. A man would confess to being a chicken if it meant the pain would stop. Even the strongest would weep like a babe fresh from the womb with a slap upon its ass.

"A long time ago" she replied to the ship sailing of their relationship. "Thank you for the Tale Mr. LaDuke. Enjoy your meal, I have work to do."

Charles cut off Henri's departure with a quickly asked question, "Are you fucking Richards?"

Once he had her attention, he asked with a slightly less accusatory tone, "Are you now ... or are you planning to be with this man?"

He wasn't sure whether or not Henri would respond or what that response would be, but Charles had a follow up question for her if she said or even hinted that her answer would be yes: "Are you really going to put Nassau at risk over this man? Are you really going to put yourself ... your future at risk for this man? The British have left us alone for a long time. The guns in the fort have a great deal to do with that, of course. But so does the fact that -- except to reestablish their reputation by taking Nassau back -- they don't currently have a reason for risking men and ships to take the city. This Richards ... he will be their reason ... their excuse for coming here."

Even though the thought of Richards having his cock balls deep inside his woman was enough to make him want to sink the Ruby Rose, it went farther than that for Charles. He knew how much Nassau meant to Henri. And he truly feared that what he'd just said to the woman was actually a very likely result of Henri getting involved with Richards.

Charles could probably live with the Englishman fucking Henri. But he couldn't live with the man destroying Henri's dream.

Henri stopped and just looked at him as the room went silent. She couldn't believe he had just asked her that. He must have taken her silence as a yes because he proceeded to then lecture her.

He did have some points although, each person here had a reward on their head and was apt to draw the attention to them and get the Queen to attack their ports.

She was furious "Who the fuck do you think you are questioning who i am or am not fucking? After all the whores you've paraded in front of me, and all the empty promises you made. Let me remind you, Let Me Remind All Of You. I run this fucking island, I give you jobs when you don't have any, I ensure your families are kept safe. How dare you accuse me of putting this place in jeopardy. I chose Nassau over you, and I will choose it over anyone else." If looks could kill he would have had a thousand daggers in him.

"Who I let between my thighs is none of your business. Everyone of you low lifes has a price on their head. If they choose to attack it won't be because one man took a ship. The amount any of you have taken, sunk, and killed of her forces would be enough of a reason. The queen hasn't just left us alone because of the guns. She's left us alone because she fears us united." Whoops and hollers filled the room.

Her fury was raging. Her first impulse was to kiss Charles and fuck his brains out. Because that's normally how they got started. But instead she picked up her cup and slung the remaining bourbon at him.
"Leave". she said to him in almost a whisper as a painfully reminder of their last conversation. With that she turned on her heals and went to her office.

Charles had always been in awe of Henri's ability to control a room. Her loud reminder about who ran Nassau caused the room to go silent, yet when she reminded the pirates that it was them that England feared, the room came alive once again.

"Leave."

Yet again, Henri demanded that Charles get the hell out of his life. He watched her go, noting that the back view of her new dress was just as nice to watch as was the front side. He sat there for a few minutes more, contemplating their conversation.

His thoughts slowly shifted away from Henri to Richards, though. Or, more specifically, about Henri's expression when he hinted at turning the man over for the reward. It was true: if Charles was to turn over a fellow pirate -- whether friend or foe -- to the English, he himself would find himself hanging from a yardarm before he could spend his first reward coin.

But then ... Richards wasn't yet a pirate. The way Charles heard it, the man had specifically requested legitimate work from Henri. Sure, it was a fine line. But Charles was very well respected -- and very much feared -- within the piracy community. If he acted quick enough, he could collect a reward that was the equivalent to a pirate's treasure and eliminate a competitor for Henri's warm, wet pussy.

He grabbed the partially full bottle of better-than-average booze and headed out, calling to the members of The Raven's crew who were within view, "Back to the ship, now!"

Charles' loot was unloaded and stored by sundown, and the supplies they needed to go to sea for another month were loaded by sunrise. Half a dozen men had to be retrieved from the various whore houses and taverns, but by 6 bells, The Raven was pushing away from the dock.

It wasn't just Charles' boat that was setting to sea, though. Finding Richards wasn't going to be an easy thing to accomplish: the Caribbean was a big fucking place, and the only thing Charles had to go on was the trade loop route Henri had suggested to the former English captain. So, with the profit from the silk and other loot, Charles had paid three pirates with smaller sloops to run parallel, zigzagging routes to The Raven. If one discovered the Ruby Rose, it was to head for The Raven's presumed location and alert Charles.

It wasn't a perfect plan. His Quartermaster gave it a 1 in 3 chance of success and -- because a pirate ship is a pseudo-democracy -- the man had very nearly put the operation to a vote. But the prospect of a 3,000 pound reward for Richards and his crew was just too tempting. (Charles was planning on keeping the former Elizabeth's Pride and was hoping the British would let it slide to get their traitor back.)

Henri sat up in her office swearing. Oh that man knew how to press her buttons. Knowing him he was going to do something rash. She hoped he understood that the clause about Honor among thieves. Wasn't just for pirates. It was for anyone on the island that was a criminal. (OC Honour among thieves is the concept that criminals do not compromise the activities of other criminals (see also OmertĂ ). It can also mean that even corrupt or criminal individuals can possess some form of honor, justice, or moral code.)

"Katie" Henri yelled from her office door "Tell LaDuke I would like to see him in my office." She was bound and determined that he was going to understand it.

"Can't Ma'am, He sailed out about half an hour ago"

Henri slammed her door the stupid bastard what was he up to. There was no way for her to get word to Richards to be on his guard. There was no telling what Charles was up to.

The boats of the fleet Charles was commanding went off in different directions as soon as they left Nassau harbor. The Raven cut south, then south by south east between New Providence and Andros Islands. One of the sloops circled even farther west around Andros before taking a similar SxSW course. The other two sloops headed east out of Nassau, one weaving through the dozens of little islands and shoals often referred to as Strand of Cays; while the last sloop headed farther east clear out east around Eleuthera and and Cat Island.

Most of the small islands were uninhabited by whites, though, there were still some that supported native populations that hadn't been ravaged by disease or herded into slavery. The larger islands did have European descended populations, but the sloop captains ignored them unless they had portages capable of serving the Ruby Rose, perhaps delivering something on Henri's behalf.

Although Charles sailed The Raven on a predescribed course meant to let the sloop captains know where he was at all times, the smaller ships tacked on zigzag courses designed to give them a view of as much of the Bahamian waters as possible. When such a port allowed it, The Raven dropped anchor -- sometimes joined by its escorts -- to allow the increasingly anxious crews the opportunity to spend a few hours wetting their throats with rum and their dicks with pussy.

Eleven days had passed with no sign of the Ruby Rose, during which one of the sloops had disappeared. Charles presumed that the Captain had decided that the mission to find Richards was no longer worth the coin he’d offered. The other two began complaining that they were bypassing slow, juicy merchant ships ripe for pillage and demanded either more gold from Charles now or they, like their absent partner, would disappear as well.

Charles gave in, distributing more of The Raven’s treasury, only to have another sloop vanish from the mission almost first thing the next day. He’d find both of these Captain’s when he returned to Nassau and slit their throats, as was his reputation for dealing with those who betrayed him.

The Ruby Rose and the sloop Diligent backtracked toward New Providence as they had once before, ported twice more, then turned southeast for what Charles decided would be the last time. The pair set upon a French merchant ship bound for the South American coast and looted it of arms and rice, made one more was signalling zigzag, then separated again.

Then, on day 15, on one of the smaller sloops...

"Sail!"

Aboard the Ruby Rose, the same call came from a man high in the main mast. Richards and Tormay speculated about sloop for the next three days. Richards presumed it was a pirate vessel, but he didn't understand the Captain's methods. The boat that was about two thirds the size of the Ruby Rose would set an intercept course, near to within about four miles, then suddenly tack to a new course that eventually took it over the horizon. Then, it would repeat the hours long maneuver. Then again.

Richards had used this technique while a loyal officer of Her Majesty’s navy: the sloop was obviously trying to make contact with other boats, to attack the Ruby Rose en masse. Yet, no help ever came. Richards couldn’t know that its help -- a pirate boat called The Raven -- had taken a detour at the sight of an Admiralty vessel which, ironically, was out looking for Elizabeth’s Pride. The other boat’s captain, one Charles LaDuke, would never meet up with the sloop again.

The third day after the boats sighted one another, The Diligent set an intercept course that, this time, didn’t alter. Richards had the crew beat to quarters, ready to engage. But he left the camouflage over the gun ports in place until the last moment. The sloop’s captain must not have understood that the Ruby Rose was, in fact, a warship, for he made his course to intercept without firing any of his four 12 pound guns.

“Hard to port!” Richards ordered when the sloop was just eighty yards from collision. As the boat swung, he called out to his First Mate, who was down in the hold with the anxious gun crews, “You may open the port’ls, Mister Tormay … and fire at will.”

A moment later, the powder loads of all six guns exploded, sending forth their 12 pound projectiles. The result was phenomenal: the starboard side of the sloop erupted in mayhem; the screams of the pirates -- who’d been anticipating an easy boarding -- could be heard even at the Ruby Rose; the single mast wavered due to some snapped support lines; and, most dramatic of all -- as the smoke of the first volley was still clearing and the guns were being reloaded, the flames that had been started by one well placed cannon shot set off the small craft’s powder magazine, and the far side of the boat exploded in a stunning fireball, followed by a growing cloud of thick smoke.

In a single exchange, the Ruby Red -- no longer a vessel of Her Majesty's navy -- had finally defeated its first pirate vessel and accomplished what it hadn’t been able to do in nine disappointing months.

“Second volley, Captain?” Tormay called up. As the First Mate watched, Richards studied the craft for a long moment. He called again, “Captain. Ready to fire on your command.”

But the boat was lost. It’s pirate crew was already abandoning the now ferociously burning boat, either leaping into the sea or attempting to lower its long boats. He looked down to Tormay with a slightly pleased smile. Slightly, because no gentleman captain relished in the horrific death of other sailors, even pirates.

“Secure the guns, Mister Tormay,” Richards called. “Resume our course for Harper Cay. These bananas aren’t going to deliver them themselves.”

Six days later, the Ruby Red would finally return to Nassau.

But not before The Raven would … two days before that.

"Henri had heard the bragging of one, and then two of the sloops captains. She had them arrested and interrogated and sign full confessions to the plan of one Captain Charles LaDuke. When Charles hit port and was out of sight of his men he was to be carefully apprehended and arrested for his kidnapping of her employee and his crew and intent of betrayal of the code of thieves.

He was thrown into a cell and guarded severely. Henri didn't come visit him, until the the day Captain Richards returned.She had someone on look out for Captain Richards return, and when he set foot he would be told she requested his presence in her office.

The bell rang saying a ship had arrived. Shortly there after she heard he had returned. Her heart sank, so the claims of not finding him were true. She never thought she would be so relieved. Not only was her cargo safe. But so was he.

When he finally knocked on her door she said "Enter and close the door behind you".

Captain Jones ..or should I say Richards. It is good to see that you have arrived safely back to our shores with my cargo i am told. You've done well. Tell me did you run into any trouble out on the seas?

Two days ago:

The anchor of the Raven was still settling into the sands of Nassau Harbor as the long boat hit the water with Charles already aboard. He pulled a pair of flint locks from his belt and commanded the full compliment of six rowers to get him to shore before he counted to 200 or he'd kill the two men he thought had put out the least effort. If there was such a thing as long boat racing, this crew would have set some sort of record.

"One eighty four, one eighty five..."

The men likely hadn't realized how serious their Captain was until had continued to count through fifty, then a hundred, then one fifty. Their efforts increased, leading them to pant and grunt and sweat from every pore.

"One ninety two, one ninety three--"

The boat hit the sand with such speed that more than half of the craft's keel ended up on shore. Even as it was slowly, Charles was leaping out into the foot deep water and heading with determination for the warehouse where he'd left the Raven's last haul.

"Are they here?" he demanded of Mister Lewis, the crewman Charles had left behind due to an injury that would have mad him dead weight on this most recent mission.

"They're in the castle, Captain," the man said about Nassau Fort, already knowing that Charles had to be speaking of the sloop captains who had returned early. The men had made their first mistake betraying Charles and their second mistake talking about what they'd done. One had even been bold enough to buy a round of drinks in Henri's tavern, declaring that they were on that idiot Charles LaDumb. When Charles asked why they were in the fort, Lewis answered timidly, "Madam Henrietta Chavley had them arrested."

Charles' confused look only got more intense. "Why are they in the fort?"

Becoming even more hesitant, Lewis responded, "She knew you would come after them ... and likely kill them. And ... the fort's prison is the--"

"Why the fuck should she care about that?" Charles raged, not really expecting an answer. He added, "And why is she involved in this? This has nothing to do with her."

Lewis knew the answer to that, of course: Henri was and had been the closest thing to the Law in Nassau for years. But he only shrugged his shoulders. Charles, though, expressed himself with a little more emphasis: he whipped out his sword and began hacking and slicing at ... well, just about anything within reach until finally he'd gotten out his aggression enough to begin formulating a plan.

"Go to the fort, Mister Lewis," he told the man. "Tell that old blowhard Harker that I'd like an audience with his majesty."

Charles had always respected Captain Harker for what he'd done in preparing Nassau for its role as a pirate paradise. But he'd never liked the man. They had a history of which few if any still alive knew. Plus there was the whole Be a good little pirate or I'll blow your ship out of the water thing with the stolen Spanish cannons.

"Tell him to expect me by sundown," Charles said, turning to return to the Raven. He had other business with which to deal, and -- obviously -- the two future corpses weren't going anywhere.

Three hours later, as he was settling the sale of his latest loot, Charles looked about himself to find half a dozen drawn swords pointing at him. Henri might have wanted his apprehension to be careful, even inconspicuous. But really? ... this was ...

"Charles LaDuke," the lead man declared, "We have a warrant for your arrest."

The pirate sized up the men, some of whom were conspicuously nervous. He set his gaze on one of the men, a face he recognized. He smirked knowingly, telling the man, "You have four ... no, five children ... yes? I guess once you're dead ... your wife can open her thighs to sweaty ... stinking ... fishermen to put food in their mouths."

He pulled his sword slowly at an angle that caused the blade to scrape across his belt buckle. The sound caused the faces of some of the men cringe. He looked to another he recalled had just married. "

To a second man he said, "And I recall ... you recently got married, yes? Cute little redheaded thing ... with tits the size of a sea sponge." He laughed. "Oh, you're gonna miss those babies ... aren't you?"

"Ignore him, men," the leader said, stepping closer as he continued urging his men to do their job. "This is a lawful order, and you will submit."

Charles lifted his sword toward the man ... then ... let it droop from his hand, then drop to stick in the building's wooden floor board.

"Forgive me, my good sir," Charles said. "I submit."

He gave the man a deep bow, arm slashing across his waist as if some noble submitting to the Queen. But it was a ploy. After all, this was Charles LaDuke. The hand that had wrapped around his waste seemingly without threat whipped back around with lightning speed. The dagger flew threw the air with great precision, sinking into the man's chest between the collar bone and a rib. The other men were shocked and hesitated. Mistake. A second dagger sunk into the shoulder of a second man, and as Charles was moving forward he pulled his sword out of the floor board and slashed, cutting a third man across the belly, a painful wound but nothing that was going to kill him.

Charles' attack caused most of the men to back away in fear. They'd heard the stories of Charles LaDuke, and his quickness only supported the fear with which they'd entered. What were the chances that there would be one man here today who hadn't heard all the scary stories. As Charles turned to look for another target, a heavy piece of steel picked up from atop a stack of goods caught him square in the forehead.

He woke up an unknown number of hours later, laying on his back in a fort cell. His head throbbed. He tried to move, finding his wrists shackled. A second chain linked one of his ankles to a post in the wall. All he could do as lay back, close his eyes, and mumble, "Fucking Henri."

Today:

"Enter and close the door behind you".

Richards did as he was told, striding forward to his side of Henri's desk to toss upon it a leather bag of coins.

"Forty percent," he said, reminding her of her cut. He added, "Not quite the amount you'd hoped for, but ... we ran into some troubles. Bit of a revolution taking place in Mexico, I guess."

He didn't tell her about the delay caused by having to skirt around the English warship that likely had been looking for the Elizabeth's Pride. The longer Henri was unaware of his true identity, the better.

"Captain Jones ..or should I say Richards."

Well ... so much for that secret.

"It is good to see that you have arrived safely back to our shores with my cargo I am told."

"Yes, your warehouse's crew is unloading as we speak," Richards confirmed. "You'll be happy with what you see."

He'd actually gotten a much better deal on the fresh foods Henri had wanted for her tavern and for the market place; and he'd considered keeping the difference for himself. But, Henri seemed to be the kind of woman who eventually learned anything and everything worth knowing, so he'd instead only had the Ruby Rose's galley packed with good foods for his crew, then told the warehouse workers to make sure they pointed out the excess to their boss.

"You've done well. Tell me did you run into any trouble out on the seas?

"Nothing we couldn't handle," Richards said. He wasn't going to tell her about the sloop he'd sunk. She'd learn on her own through other means. She would likely lose some money from the loss of another ship serving Nassau. But then, the Ruby Rose hadn't attacked the Diligent, the Diligent had attacked the Ruby Rose. He asked if he could take his previous seat opposite her, then said with an inquisitive tone, "There are rumors down on the docks that you may have run into a little trouble here in Nassau. Rumor also is that perhaps it has something to do with me, my crew, and my ship. Care to share?"

"In short Jones" she said deliberately choosing to stay with the name he had originally given her, and only mentioned Richards to let him know she knew his tale.

"It would seem Jones, that you and I are having a torrid love affair, in which you ravage me with such ferocity that I have lost all sense of who I am." she couldn't help but let out a light laugh as she watched his facial expressions.

"It would seem that your tale had reached the ears of a rather reluctant ex of mine. I say reluctant because he still has his desires set on me, and was quite beside himself to hear of how I let a wanted Englishman ravage me and endanger what I've built here."

She walked over and grabbed the decanter pouring them both a drink and set his in front of him.
"I thought I had detoured him enough with my threat of his death if he were to take matters into his own hands. But he never has been one to think things through, he is rash and ferocious. From the signed confessions I obtained, his plan was to kidnap you, and take you to the British and turn you in for the ransom that is upon you and your crews heads."

Taking the contents down in one gulp she poured another glass for herself and pushed the decanter in his direction so he could pour one for himself when ready.

"We have very few rules here at Nassau. One of which is the honor of thieves. In layman's terms it means we do not compromise other criminals to gain an advantage. You were working for me, therefore you are a legitimate part of Nassau. If he had led them to you, it could have compromised not only you but Nassau as well since the goods you were trading are of course obtained through illegal measures for the most part. However, if he had succeed and you were turned over and they tortured you, they could have still obtained the information. A man would admit to being a chicken with some of the methods they use."

She cracked her neck to the left and to the right and continued. "I am in a bit of a dilemma now. By the laws I could order his death, but it can also be misconstrued as me using my power to solve a personal grieivence. So I have him currently in a cell, and I am leaving his fate to you as the intended party of his crime."

Richards smiled, even chuckled a bit at Henri's explanation about their affair. He had, of course, contemplated the joys to be found between the lovely Nassau Queen's thighs. But he'd never imagined that a former lover of hers would have lashed out in such a way so quickly without at least having caught them in one another's arms.

"...and I am leaving his fate to you as the intended party of his crime."

"To me?" Richards asked with a bit of surprise in his tone. He said with a touch of humor, "How kind."

He could see how such action could be seen as appropriate in this culture, of course. And there was a history of men dueling back in England over personal trespasses. But Richards thought it would be more appropriate for the Law to handle the--

And then he remembered: Henrietta Chavley was the law in Nassau. If she wanted to punish this Charles LaDuke character, that was her right. And if she wanted to give Richards that pleasure, well, that seemed her right as well.

As it would turn out, though, Charles' fate wouldn't immediately be up to either one of them. Beyond the office door there was a bit of a ruckus, followed by one of Henri's militiamen bursting through the door. "Forgive me, madam, but--"

He stepped aside quickly as a pair of men entered. Richards popped to his feet quickly, grasping the hilt of his sword but not pulling it. The two men studied him, then the room, then parted to make way for more men. First came Captain "Black Heart "Harker, a tall, barrel chested man with a full, neatly trimmed beard and -- despite his nickname -- a jolly looking face.

"Please excuse the interruption, Henri," he said with a rather stern, unpleased expression. As he continued, he moved around the table with the intent of approaching Henri to lift and kiss her hand as he did with every meeting of the beauty that he, too, had once attempted to bed, a quest he'd quickly given up when she'd shown no interest. "I am afraid that there has been a development in the case against Mister LaDuke that requires my coming down from my little hill on the isle to speak with you."

That development was the next person to walk into the room: Charles LaDuke. He was neither bound nor shackled, and in his belt were his sword and his daggers. The pirate smiled politely to Henri as he entered, then -- presuming that the stranger to his left was this Richards character -- glared hard for a moment as he stepped to a position that would allow him to watch both his former lover and his former lover's presumed new lover.

"It would seem as though the confessions given you to warrant Mister LaDuke's arrest were false," Harker continued with a disappointed tone. He offered out two rolled pieces of paper -- the newly forced false confessions about the previously forced false confessions -- as he continued, "It seems the Captains in question were actually engaged in a plot to simply pillage Mister Jones' ship of its valuables ... and that they had, in no means or ways, any connection to Mister LaDuke, the Raven, or the crew of said ship--"

"Liars, one and all," Charles murmured just loud enough for Henri to hear.

"Without the confessions, Charles can not be charged with breaking any law of Nassau, Henri," Harker said with a softer volume.

What Henri couldn't yet know but would learn in the hours to come was that the crew of the Raven had made a visit to the home of one of the two sloop captains and had a personal conversation with the man's wife. They'd convinced her that it would be better for her and her barely teenage daughters if she was to take a walk up to the fort and convince her husband to tell the truth about why he'd taken his ship out. After convincing her, they'd made a second visit to the other captain's sloop. After the visitors put a spike through the foot of the First mate of that sloop, he'd sent the boat's Navigator up to have a similar talk with their captain, taking with him the message that if and when he ever did get out of prison, he'd find his boat on the bottom of the harbor with its crew still aboard ... holding their heads in their hands.

"What about the confessions of my Militia that he resisted arrest and murdered one of them?" She questioned staring down Charles. "Would an innocent man resist arrest? Or let me guess you were drowned with drink and thought them to be muggers?"

Fire was burning in her eyes. "You somehow weaseled your way out of this Charles, because that is what you do. You never allow yourself to be accountable for your actions. You bully people around and pull strings. There are half a dozen men in the tavern that overheard those Captains bragging. Don't think just because you got away with it this time that it didn't create doubt in their minds and they will begin to see you for the bastard you are." she shook her head.

"Harker leave" she said waiting for him to go. Once the door was closed she walked up to Charles.

"You couldn't just let it be. You had to put me in this position. Not that it matters, but Captain Jones is not my lover. But if I chose to let him bend me over that desk and fuck me until I passed out, it would still be none of your business. You put Nassau at risk Charles. He was carrying my illegally seized cargo. Whether you had led them to him, or taken him to them to be tortured he would have eventually been forced to confess."

Her nostrils flared as she continued "What do you think the British would do with that information? Do you hate me that much that you want to see me hanged because i won't let you between my thighs? Do you honestly think I was going to let you hang? I had just given Captain Jones the leeway to be your judge. Do you think he would want to see you hang because you were a jealousy child? When you walk away from here I want you to think about how you lectured me about putting Nassau at risk by 'fucking' a wanted man. Isn't there a price on your head?, On just about everyone's head here?"

"What about the confessions of my Militia that he resisted arrest and murdered one of them?" ... "Would an innocent man resist arrest? Or let me guess you were drowned with drink and thought them to be muggers?"

To this, Charles only smiled, pleased, first to Henri, then to Harker, with whom they had already discussed the subject.

"Because he was being apprehended for a crime he did not commit," Harker explained with an unenthusiastic tone, "by armed men, thus placing his life in danger ... Mister LaDuke was entitled to defend himself."

Captain Harker had often acted as arbitrator in disputes between Henri, her fellow merchants, New Providence's other residences -- including the land owners in the island's interior who were still protected by the displaced Governor and his small force of British Marines -- and, of course, the pirate ilk who more often than not seemed to be in the middle of the most explosive situations. He didn't always want to partake in such arguments. God only knew that he didn't want to be here today. Harker was no idiot: the evidence against Charles had been plentiful.

But fact of the matter was simple: Charles LaDuke was currently the pirate of pirates in Nassau, and if Harker was to rule against him when there was suspicion that he'd been set up by lesser pirates, there would be a pirate war in the town, the harbor, and the seas surrounding it. Harker had no choice but to free Charles.

The fire was burning in Henri's eyes as she continued on about Charles and his actions. Richards for his part simply stood there quietly, watching with his hand resting casually on the hilt of his sword. He got the distinct impression that the two men who had entered first were with this arbitrator gentleman, who he'd never met but just knew had to be the famed pirate Black Heart Harker. Richards found it interesting that the blood thirsty pirate who had reputedly slaughtered a thousand Spaniards to free Nassau -- even before they'd even had the opportunity to dig their forces new latrines -- was standing here now acting so very much like a respectable English barrister.

Henri suddenly demanded, "Harker leave"

The fort's owner nodded politely and reached out to take and kiss Henri's hand again, though he doubted she'd permit it in this rage. He looked to Charles before he left, saying quietly, "Just because you are being freed ... doesn't mean you're not guilty."

Harker headed for the door, then hesitated. He looked to Richards, sizing him up before offering, "A drink, sir ... so as we can become acquainted."

And then he was gone without setting a time, date, or location.

"You couldn't just let it be..." Henri began, chastising Charles about not only what he'd allegedly attempted to do to Richards but also the personal reasons behind it. As her rampage went on, Richards found himself both a bit uncomfortable listening to Henri air the couple's dirty laundry ... and a bit aroused by Henri's suggestion that he be drilling her womanhood over her fine, oak desk. She finished, "When you walk away from here I want you to think about how you lectured me about putting Nassau at risk by 'fucking' a wanted man. Isn't there a price on your head?, On just about everyone's head here?"

Charles didn't immediately respond to the question, instead just looking up at Henri from his lounged back posture in one of her fine, imported chairs. It would actually be Richards who would respond to the woman's justifiable tirade.

"Perhaps it is I who should apologize, Madam," he began, stepping a bit closer, such that he was more in both of their views. His hand still rested upon his sword's hilt, though he attempted to make it seem very casual. When the both of them looked to him, Richards continued, "After all ... it was I who ... misappropriated a vessel from the Admiralty. If the British use this action as an excuse to ... visit your fair city ... is it not I who is at fault?"

He was addressing his question to Henri, of course. Richards had no reason to explain himself, let alone apologize, to this pirate who had obviously attempted to have him detained, arrested, and hung.

"I told you when I met you Mr. Jones, I don't care what your real name is, I don't care what your story is. Everyone on this island is guilty of something. Your presence here is no more an impediment then having this murderous whoring swine on it. I'm sure if we added up all the bounties on his head they would be more then yours."

she let out a light laugh then looked back to to the non amused Charles. "you can Leave Charles, your presence is no longer required or needed."

Turning away from Charles she looked back to Richards. "Shall we continue our business?" She knew that they had already but she wanted Charles to feel the impact of being dismissed.

"You can Leave Charles, your presence is no longer required or needed."

Charles watched Henri as she turned her back on him. His only movement, though, was to widen his lips in a smile.

Richards studied the pirate intently. He'd known a lot of men like Charles, in the British Navy, the merchant marine, and other non-military areas. He'd never truly known a pirate well. He'd spent some time getting to know one pirate captain who'd been captured in a battle with another Admiralty ship and transferred to the Elizabeth's Pride. But that man hadn't been anything like Charles, who despite the challenge, maintained a level of confidence that was unique.

Henri asked Richards, "Shall we continue our business?"

The English mutineer didn't move or react any more than Charles had. He was waiting to see what new explosions were going to occur when Henri's patience with the pirate ran out. But Charles didn't push it that far: he waited until Henri curled around her desk and looked back his way to slowly rise from his chair and turn for the door. He stopped just short of it, then turned slowly.

"I think you need to consider something ... Madam Chavley," he said with a slight smile. "I'm a pirate, yes. I'm a criminal. I have a price on my head, and the English would love to hang me high in the town square. But piracy would continue on without me, because I am but one of many."

He took a small step back into the office, smiling knowingly.

"But you, Henri," he continued. "You are one of a kind. The Queen of Nassau. The woman solely responsible for two thirds, maybe three quarters of the sale of pirated goods flowing from the Bahamas to the Colonies. So, I want you to ask yourself something. If anyone is going to lure the British to this island to end piracy ... do you really think it's going to be me?"

He blew Henri a kiss, gave Richards a playful wink, and departed.

Richards watched the empty door for a moment before finally turning and just looking to Henri, unsure of whether he should leave or not.

"I know" she said light as Charles closed the door "We have concluded our business, If you want to stay I would like the company. If you want to leave, you may. I'll have some new cargo orders coming up if you want them."

Charles words were true, but they weren't anything she didn't already know so they barely registered. She would always love him, or perhaps it was lust after him. But together other then fucking, they made no sense. An imagine of him having her up against the wall entered her mind and a light blush came and went quickly as she waited for Captain Jones/Richards to speak.

Now that was a man she would love to grab a handful of her hair bend her over the desk and just plow into her every time she saw him.

"To be honest," Richards began with an apologetic tone, "I must return to my ship. I have ... an issue with which I should deal."

He didn't tell Henri that the issue revolved around the profit of the three month long trading mission the Ruby Rose had just concluded. It was common for Admiralty sailors to complain about their pay, but that was just the way the Navy was. The men had hoped that the multi-stop, multi-cargo loop would line their pockets with a bit more coin than the Queen paid. But it hadn't. In fact, comparing the last three months on the Ruby Rose to the previous nine months working aboard the Elizabeth's Pride, the men would be seeing about two-thirds of their monthly salary.

Richard's promise to the men that he they would not regret their actions didn't rely on them making a fortune, of course. But without money...? He couldn't allow that, obviously.

"But..." He hesitated, unsure of the appropriateness of what he was about to do. But he continued, "If I'm not being too forward ... or crossing some ... employer, employee line ... I would honored if you would agree to have dinner with me, Madam Chavley."

She smiled and nodded as he said he had to get back to his ship. "Understandable" she replied a little disappointed.

Then he mentioned that he hoped he wasn't being to forward and asked her to have dinner with him. "I would very much enjoy that Captain, but you're in Nassau now, there's no such thing as being too forward. Life here is limited for many, who never know if they'll make it back from their voyages."

She rose when he did and offered him her hand. "I shall see you for dinner then."

(OOC: Remember to ignore the flags on the ship in the link below; and imagine 6 gun ports per side, not 3.)

Richards smiled, pleased. He asked Henri is she would be interested in dining on the Ruby Rose, and he was again pleased when she said she'd be delighted.

"Seven bells of the Dog Watch," he told her. Then, unsure of how familiar the land lubber was with ship board time keeping, Richards clarified, "1930 hours. 7:30pm"

He left, collecting Mister Tormay on the way out. On the way to the docks, Richards gave him a list of tasks to be completed to make the ship worthy of such an important guest.

Tormay began with a tone that Richards recognized all too well, "So, after we all go to all this work to impress Madam Chavley for you--"

"You all get an extra few coins with which to enjoy your evening in Nassau," Richards cut in.

"Do we have a few extra coins to spare, Captain?" Tormay asked. A British warship, which of course the Ruby Red had been until recently, didn't typically carry a great deal of coin on a daily basis. With the exception of purchasing fresh foods, clean water, and needed supplies at the occasional port call, a treasury wasn't needed. And since the former Elizabeth's Pride didn't typically stay out from Port Royal for more than two weeks at a time, there had rarely been a need for a large purse, let alone a pirate's chest. "This voyage of Madam Chavley's--"

"It failed to provide the profit for which we'd hoped, yes, I know, Mister Tormay," Richards responded. His tone was enough to silence his right hand man until they'd almost reached the boat. Richards stopped his friend short, contemplated, then asked quietly, "What would be the men's response if ... if we..."

"Turned to piracy, Captain?" Tormay continued the thought, knowing Richards couldn't say the words. "Some of them are already discussing it. However ... I don't think a majority of the crew is there yet. And ... I believe that some of them never will be."

They discussed the topic quietly for a few more minutes before the two of them boarded the awaiting long boat and returned to their home away from home.

Six crewmen of the Ruby Rose were awaiting Henri's arrival at the docks. They were standing at attention above one of their ship's long boats. Richards wanted to make an impression, so he had the men in their best dress uniforms. Of course, the men were no longer of the British Navy. So they'd stripped away all of their Admiralty insignia and their decorative piping. Oh, they still looked like English sailors, but at least they couldn't be accused of imitating such.

The need to impress, though, had gone beyond just the men, though. The long boat had been thoroughly scrubbed, worn parts had been replaced, the bell had been polished, and a padded seat had been installed for their guest's comfort. Additionally, Ruby Rose 1 had been painted across the transom.

"Madam Chavley, I am Mister Tormay, First Mate of the Ruby Rose," the Quartermaster told Henri when she arrived. He removed his cap and bowed respectfully. He barked an order to the men, who moved to their positions. Then he gestured Henri toward a ladder heading down to the boat, saying, "If you please."

The first pair of men flanked a ladder heading down to the long boat and helped Henri down it. There, the second pair of sailors aided Henri into the long boat, where the third pair helped her to her seat. In less than a minute, the six men were rowing the craft away from the dock with Tormay at the stern, steering.

Richards had selected the time of dinner for a very specific reason. The mouth of the harbor lay west by northwest from the docks, and the Ruby Rose sat half a mile from those docks. The result was that as the long boat made its way toward its destination, Henri got to watch the sun descend down upon the northwestern shores of the island and -- after the long boat had cleared the inner harbor -- and finally begin its disappearance into the Caribbean as a magnificent ball of yellow-turning-red.

As the long boat neared the Ruby Rose, it became obvious that an important guest was expected. Full watch stations were set, as if having been beat to quarters; and, as with the men rowing the boat, all were in their newly retailored dress uniforms. They all stood at attention, as did the four men standing at the upper workings of the hoist that was dangling a passenger seat over the side. But Tormay didn't have the boat pull up aside the Ruby Rose. Instead, the oarsmen rowed it around the Ruby Rose to give their honored guest a full viewing of it.

Richards had ordered the gun ports opened on both sides and the 12 pound guns moved forward into view. Unlike many pirate vessels -- craft that didn't have a government and military providing it with all their needs after a battle -- the Ruby Rose had a full compliment of cannons. So, rather than having to shift guns from one side of the ship to the other as was sometimes necessary while a battle progressed, the Ruby Rose was able to put a gun in every gun port. It may have been the reason every pirate they'd chased thus far had fled without a fight.

"Oars up!" Tormay ordered as they came around to the port side again. The long boat moved ahead on its momentum until they were able to load Henri into the hoist chair and lift her up to the main deck ... where a snappily dressed man in an altered uniform was waiting with a proud smile.

"Greetings and welcome to the Ruby Rose, Madam Chavley," he said offering a hand. Once she was steady and the hoist was pulled away, he continued as if never having met Henri before, "I am Jack Richards ... Captain of the sailing vessel, Ruby Rose. I trust that your ride was comfortable?"

Henri couldn't help but smile widely after Richards had left her office. So she was to have dinner with him upon his ship. It said a lot about him, that he would invite her upon his vessel, rather then insist that he flaunt her off as his dinner companion in the tavern.

She hadn't realized she was worried about how Charles would have reacted if it had been flaunted. She was sure word would get back to him as soon as she stepped foot in the longboat surrounded by Captain Jones/Richards men. But that would be an outcome she would have to worry about later.

It did cross her mind that perhaps Jones was making a statement to LaDuke showing him that he just made his worse fear come true. But at the same point Jones didn't really seem like that petty of a man.

She arrived at the docks at 7:25 to be greeted by Jones' men. They were dressed in uniforms looking clean and spiffy. That was certainly out of place for Nassau. She accepted their help getting into the longboat and noticed as far as longboats went it practically shined. They had even gone as far as to put a cushioned seat in for her.

Richards was out to make an impression and so far it was working. The boat took her for a tour around the vessel so she may get a full view of it's beauty and capabilities. It would make a hell of a pirate ship if he chose to go that route.

They hauled her up and Jones helped her get standing. He formally introduced himself by his given name. "It was quite a nice ride thank you for the extra consideration. And for the beautiful sunset as well, so does this mean you'd like me to stop calling you Jones?" she asked.

Taking his arm she allowed him to take her on a tour to show him his vessel. His entire crew was nothing but hospitable and respectful.

Back