The Authors' Hangout Summer Lovin' Contest 2010 Support Thread

High Hopes Dashed

Hey all -

I had grandiose dreams of entering two stories in Summer Lovin', but right now I'm struggling to get one finished in time for - well - not the start, but say Friday? That would be good. I'm happy with it so far, just need to bring it home...

Who's going to have one in for Tuesday's grand opening?

Hey all -

I had grandiose dreams of entering two stories in Summer Lovin', but right now I'm struggling to get one finished in time for - well - not the start, but say Friday? That would be good. I'm happy with it so far, just need to bring it home...

The two I already have listed in my sig are already in the Queue -- "Queen of the Isle" and "Ride no More".

My third is off in the first stage of editing, and it'll probably be a week or more before it's ready to submit. Writing a fourth ( in my third pen name ) in another window right now.

I believe DG has one for opening day. Beyond that, I can't recall anyone else who's firmly announced.

Hey all -

Hey Jaymal. Very much looking forward to a new story from you!

I believe Darkniciad (X2!!), MichChick98, DG Hear, Cynmarie and I at least all have things in the queue for opening day.

Thanks all. I resubmitted it. I'm sitting in Pearson Int'l Airport right now. Won't know how it did until I return! :)

Hey all -

Maybe? I submitted mine on Thursday afternoon, about 12 hours ahead of schedule, but I just checked my status and it's still pending. Nonetheless, Opening day is still 48 hours away, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance it will be up and ready for the opener.

Queen of the Isle is dated for Tuesday, but Ride No More is still pending. I'm sure that anything with the appropriate tagline that's already in the queue will go up with the first crop of stories.

ETA: Ride just got dated for Tuesday as well.

Last edited:
Down to the wire here. I have so much to do today. I'll record them tomorrow. I'm going to end up with four stories in the contest, I believe. I haven't put up a new story since the first Tuesday of the month, now I'm going to overload the Audio section...LOL

It just occured to me that the last two contests started on a Sunday. This one is starting on Tuesday. Doubt if it will make a lot of difference. Usually when submitting on Lit you never know what day your story will get posted anyway. The nice thing about submiting contest stories is the next day post.

I'll be submiting a non contest story this week also. Will be interesting to see how long it take to get posted. They usually post all contest stories first.

Both contest stories are Romance, non contest story is loving wive, but not so loving daughter in-law

I'll post my second contest story a couple of days after my non contest story. It keeps the feedback and comments coming in for a much longer time.
Good luck all, no hand on the roller coater bars this time, LOL
DG:)

It just occured to me that the last two contests started on a Sunday. This one is starting on Tuesday. Doubt if it will make a lot of difference. Usually when submitting on Lit you never know what day your story will get posted anyway. The nice thing about submiting contest stories is the next day post.

I'll be submiting a non contest story this week also. Will be interesting to see how long it take to get posted. They usually post all contest stories first.

Both contest stories are Romance, non contest story is loving wive, but not so loving daughter in-law

I'll post my second contest story a couple of days after my non contest story. It keeps the feedback and comments coming in for a much longer time.
Good luck all, no hand on the roller coater bars this time, LOL
DG:)

I think I ended up posting a couple chapters of my last story during a contest, DG and it took about 5 days instead of the normal 3. Usually during non-contest times, at least for me, I never wait more than 3 days. And after the contest, it still took 4-5 days because I think they were so backed up. The last couple chapters of the story went up quicker.

My last two non-contest stories that posted while a contest was running both failed to appear in the New List until mid-afternoon -- losing at least a half day of the primary exposure a story gets.

There's not a chance in hell of me ever posting anything outside a contest while one is running again. I'd rather have waited two or three more days for a story to post than lose that half day on the New List.

A Fresh Start

Just submitted my contest entry, "A Fresh Start". I know, I know, it's early, but Laurel said one could submit stories early. Worse case is that it'll be kicked back and I'll resubmit.

Anyway, hoping it fares well. Likely not, I tend not to do well in contests, but we'll see. Can't be unlucky forever, right?

Good luck to everyone anyway.

Description: Nothing says summer like baseball, the beach, new romance, and partying around a nighttime bonfire.

Just submitted my contest entry, "A Fresh Start". I know, I know, it's early, but Laurel said one could submit stories early. Worse case is that it'll be kicked back and I'll resubmit.

No worries. I submitted my first one for the contest over a week ago ( I had it in my head that the contest started on the 20th for some reason ) and it's approved to post on Launch Day.

No worries. I submitted my first one for the contest over a week ago ( I had it in my head that the contest started on the 20th for some reason ) and it's approved to post on Launch Day.

Okay, thanks for the heads-up. The "first" one, huh? I know you're allowed to post as many as you want to, but I'm lucky to have posted one.

Anyway, hoping it fares well. Likely not, I tend not to do well in contests, but we'll see. Can't be unlucky forever, right?

Description: Nothing says summer like baseball, the beach, new romance, and partying around a nighttime bonfire.

Glad to see you are in and I promise to read, comment and vote accordingly! Welcome to the party!

i got one in. no way is it a winner, except of the last place entry. i got another one cooking but it's being 'looked at' now.

I had grand {"grandiose" is probably a better adjective} plans of finishing my story today, but since I now seem to be the cartographer for Horner Springs, it may have to wait for one more day.

My 'Summer Loving" story went from pending to approved for the 24th, guess I'm in. I submitted a non contest day story today also. Want to see how long before it gets posted. It's a loving wife unless they change it. Has interracial and group in it. One more story for the contest I'll post at the end of the week.
Good luck all.

Good luck everyone. I'll be throwing my hat in the ring (even though I'm not a contender) in two maybe three days' time? Look forward to joining you all as a johnny-come-lately.

Maybe? I submitted mine on Thursday afternoon, about 12 hours ahead of schedule, but I just checked my status and it's still pending. Nonetheless, Opening day is still 48 hours away, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance it will be up and ready for the opener.

Just checked mine, it's also pending. However, "pending" is not a selectable link like my other pending story is, so I'm thinking it is accepted but merely pending the start of the contest. Just a thought. Maybe Darkncloud can chime in here and see if he is experiencing a similar experience.

I had grand {"grandiose" is probably a better adjective} plans of finishing my story today, but since I now seem to be the cartographer for Horner Springs, it may have to wait for one more day.

Don't think that'll be a problem. Two years back I submkitted about five stories for the Christmas contest, the last only a few days before the end, and still got the required votes to be considered. Didn't win, but I made the vote count.

Just checked mine, it's also pending. However, "pending" is not a selectable link like my other pending story is, so I'm thinking it is accepted but merely pending the start of the contest. Just a thought. Maybe Darkncloud can chime in here and see if he is experiencing a similar experience.

Same here. My story is an unlinked "pending" and shows a date of 8/24. Can't wait to read this year's stories! Good luck all!

Heavens- it just goes to show how different perceptions of summer are and how varied stories can be. We don't have a lot of baseball and bonfires in summer- a small fire is enough to land us in jail, and rightly so- bush fires cause so much damage and loss of life here that with a bonfire they'd throw away the key.
I've noticed that its the longest stories that win the contests. I don't plan to win- I plan to have some fun and give my brain a run, its wonderful to be able to exercise some seldom used synapses!

Back