The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Good Morning, Madam,
It is good to see you up & about. :rose:

We've had some rain (rare, of late) which may do some good to the lawns.
Time, I think, for some more coffee.

Thanks, HP. :rose:

It is not even daylight yet on a Saturday morning. So why am i wake? Heck if i know. I spent the afternoon and evening with friends yesterday. A nice group, I must say. Why they want to be friends with me is beyond my comprehension. :eek:

Okay, fresh coffee for the early crowd. I'll be writing if anyone needs anything.

I was up half the night wandering around. I even went outside for a short walk. I can tell the difference from the nights I slept to not sleeping. My brain is slower and I'm not as energetic. I'm hoping to get a nap in soon.

Madam, were you a coffee drinker, I'd prepare one for you myself. :rose:
I often have an hour or two on the sofa in the afternoon.

We've had some wet stuff; not a lot, and fairly wide-spread; it's does the garden a lot of good.
It's time for Tea, I think.

Madam, were you a coffee drinker, I'd prepare one for you myself. :rose:
I often have an hour or two on the sofa in the afternoon.

We've had some wet stuff; not a lot, and fairly wide-spread; it's does the garden a lot of good.
It's time for Tea, I think.

Thanks, HP, coffee might be helpful, right? :rose:

I've been able to shake off the fog and write today. I did the laundry, including the sheets and blankets. We had rain but I'm thankful we haven't had any tornadoes like so many other states have.

Thanks, HP, coffee might be helpful, right? :rose:

I've been able to shake off the fog and write today. I did the laundry, including the sheets and blankets. We had rain but I'm thankful we haven't had any tornadoes like so many other states have.

Well, you might like to try a very gentle one.
Not over-strong, and maybe with milk or cream ?
You might like it !

We get a tornado or so every decade round here. The last one tore up a significant part of a Birmingham suburb; the photos were very interesting.

Meanwhile, I'll have a coffee before I go out.

Morning all, another Sinday has rolled around and the coffee is fresh so help yourself.

I'm not sure what is planned for today so I'll wing it.

Morning. :rose:

It's a waffle, eggs, bacon, coffee, coffee, coughing, really interesting ghost story idea type of morning. :D

Morning. :rose:

It's a waffle, eggs, bacon, coffee, coffee, coughing, really interesting ghost story idea type of morning. :D

You know, I never understand what a "Waffle" is, but I'm up for the Eggs & Bacon.
Any toast available please ?

We are enjoying a bright bit of sunshine.
It's rather pleasant so I'll just go and muse in the garden with a nice coffee.

Our high is supposed to be at 100F this afternoon. I need to get my late breakfast done and mow the lawn. Maybe I'll be able to start a new Summer Luvin' story while hiding from the heat.

I'll have a tea, please, Tex. If you don't mind me hanging around.
I'm pleased as punch that my Loving Wife story is doing pretty good even though the trolls are giving me one stars...and I'm deleting all their nasty comments!

Now, I can focus on another event and try to have it all done by late October! :rose:

Chloe, I think your overstating the case about waffles but then again, you are a fiction writer among fiction writers.

BFG69, I'm probably a little late with the tea. I was up to my elbows in a new story. You can hang around here as often as you like. The more the merrier. I might even mop the floors so you don't get your bare feet dirty.

Sitting on the screened in porch watching three ladies sunbathe nude on the sundeck will get anyone's writing juices flowing. Not to mention a dirty old man to drooling. HG's oldest daughter is visiting for the day.

Uh... Oh yeah, fresh coffee for the afternoon crew. Distractions are dangerous.

Chloe, I think your overstating the case about waffles but then again, you are a fiction writer among fiction writers.

BFG69, I'm probably a little late with the tea. I was up to my elbows in a new story. You can hang around here as often as you like. The more the merrier. I might even mop the floors so you don't get your bare feet dirty.

Sitting on the screened in porch watching three ladies sunbathe nude on the sundeck will get anyone's writing juices flowing. Not to mention a dirty old man to drooling. HG's oldest daughter is visiting for the day.

Fortunately for me, there is no distracting HG (or her family) to distract me; drilling holes in steel bar can be an active task.
Coffee, I think

I've been called a distraction before. :D

We had more rain with a few rays of sunshine at times today. There's a nice breeze but along with the cool air, it brings in the moldy musty scent from the woods and from all the nasty water sitting around in them.

You know, I never understand what a "Waffle" is, but I'm up for the Eggs & Bacon.
Any toast available please ?

We are enjoying a bright bit of sunshine.
It's rather pleasant so I'll just go and muse in the garden with a nice coffee.

Oh, HP, I feel we've had this conversation before. Mildly sweet batter, leavened with egg and baking powder, cooked flat between two gridded , greased, irons. Almost fried, they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside when done right.

See waffles

Oh, HP, I feel we've had this conversation before. Mildly sweet batter, leavened with egg and baking powder, cooked flat between two gridded , greased, irons. Almost fried, they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside when done right.

And, with blueberries in the batter and covered in either maple or raspberry syrup, I would have to agree with Chloe's description as being sent by the gods to give us a foretaste of heaven.

In the presence of proper waffles, the bacon, the eggs, the sausage, the beans and the fried tomato are ancillary. The only drawback is cleaning the waffle irons.

I managed to sleep four hours before the restless legs woke me up. Now it's 2AM and they keep getting worse. It's not even 70 degrees outside but I'm sweating--except for my legs, where the skin is cold.

I managed to sleep four hours before the restless legs woke me up. Now it's 2AM and they keep getting worse. It's not even 70 degrees outside but I'm sweating--except for my legs, where the skin is cold.

I'm tempted to suggest that keeping a Hot Water Bottle handy might be advantageous. Or maybe one of those "Thermal" blankets laid over the bottom half of the bed [even a child's electric one ?]

And maybe a cup of Tea?
:rose:

See waffles

That's what I could not call to mind.
My local shop has 'waffles' made of potato, and potato makes for a strange breakfast.

Oh well, back to he Toast.
:rose:

A waffle for HP.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.

Often made using one of these.

And if you go to Waffle House..... here's some options....

http://www.wafflehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/WHI-18-008_noprices_menu-1-breakfast.png

A waffle for HP.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.

And if you go to Waffle House..... here's some options....

http://www.wafflehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/WHI-18-008_noprices_menu-1-breakfast.png

Thank you kindly. You'll find a coffee for you over by the sink by way of thanks. :rose:

One thing has always puzzled me about instructions like that.
"Cook the waffles until golden and crisp."
But one cannot SEE the damn thing through the iron plates.
(I am no cook ! if I cannot put it in a microwave oven, I'm generally doomed. I have to severely limit fried food.)

Last edited:
Thank you kindly. You'll find a coffee for you over by the sink by way of thanks. :rose:

One thing has always puzzled me about instructions like that.
"Cook the waffles until golden and crisp."
But one cannot SEE the damn thing through the iron plates.
(I am no cook ! if I cannot put it in a microwave oven, I'm generally doomed. I have to severely limit fired food.)

Ahhh but once you've done it a few times you get a feel for your waffle iron and you know how long is long enough. Or you can use a timer. Kind of like making toasted sandwiches. Practice. Or you can cheat and buy the frozen ones and just heat them up but they're not as yummy as the ones you make yourself. I like them with maple syrup myself. Blueberry jam is good too. And with I scream. And with ....

And now, off to an early start and my first coffee. Yawns.

Thank you.

We are currently basking in +29C in the shade.
The gentle breeze (more a 'zephyr' really) does little, but the strong sun highlights the flowers rather well.

Coffee, I think.

Back