The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got to try and get some.

When they say light, believe them. The light stuff is correctly labelled flavor wise. I'm gravitating to their stronger dark roast blends but the light and medium ones are nice when you're winding down at the end of the day.

AK47 and Caffeinated as Fuck are Medium Roasts but fairly mild flavor wise. I tried Silencer Smooth (Light Roast) and it is, nowhere near dark and strong enough for me.

Just Black (Dark Roast) was pretty good. Going to order Beyond Black and Murdered Out next to see what they're like.

When they say light, believe them. The light stuff is correctly labelled flavor wise. I'm gravitating to their stronger dark roast blends but the light and medium ones are nice when you're winding down at the end of the day.

AK47 and Caffeinated as Fuck are Medium Roasts but fairly mild flavor wise. I tried Silencer Smooth (Light Roast) and it is, nowhere near dark and strong enough for me.

Just Black (Dark Roast) was pretty good. Going to order Beyond Black and Murdered Out next to see what they're like.
Ah, but doesn't the light roast have more caffeine than the dark roast? Well, I had to go look and this is what I found.

"If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass."

Anyway, hoping my computer will let me work on writing and editing today.

Cheers everyone. :rose:

Ah, but doesn't the light roast have more caffeine than the dark roast? Well, I had to go look and this is what I found.

"If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass."

Anyway, hoping my computer will let me work on writing and editing today.

Cheers everyone. :rose:

It's that dark roast flavor I like. Really dark and strong taste.

Caffeine is stable during the roasting process and of you go bean for bean with a light roast versus a dark roast, each would have relatively the same level of caffeine. During the roasting process, a bean loses its mass. The density of the bean changes; beans that are roasted longer are less dense. That’s why you have more beans by mass of dark roasts. When coffee is roasted the beans lose roughly 90% of their water content.

If you measure your coffee by scoops, light roasted coffee will have more caffeine. Since the beans are denser than a darker roast. However if you weigh out your scoops, darker roasts will have more caffeine, because there is less mass. What should also be noted is that Arabica beans vary in levels of caffeine depending on the plant species.

So it's more or less the same unless you get a more caffeinated blend, such as Black Rifles "Caffeinated as Fuck" which is a medium blend, but higher in caffeine. It ALL tastes good though.

sunday-coffee-5-e1314480316942.jpg

Last edited:
It's that dark roast flavor I like. Really dark and strong taste.

I've been drinking dark roasts as long as I had a choice, but now I'm leaning back toward a medium roast.

I read that the big flavor of a dark roast comes from caramelization of the bean, and is largely indepedent of the coffee flavor, which tends to get lost. At the extreme, the beans can be burned (which I understand Starbucks does) and then it doesn't make a difference what kind of bean you start with.

Lighter roasts are supposed to preserve more of the bean's coffee flavor. I tried one and I agree, but I don't think I'm going to have my wife convinced any time soon.

But to each their own. My mother-in-law used to travel quite a bit and bring back gifts from wherever. One time (and I have no explanation for this) she brought me a can of ground coffee from Finland; "El Presidente" brand, which a Finnish friend of mine said was popular there.

It was the lightest roast I've ever had. I think I made a few pots with it and tried to get used to the flavor but ended up throwing it away.

I'm back to a medium roast myself now. Used to LOVE dark but lost that taste somewhere. I also used to love tea before I had my daughter and lost my taste for that.

The lawn is mowed! I'm going to go sit on the back porch and sweat for a while.

Ah hah, I managed to figure out to use the coffee machine. They have Tim Horton.

Lighter roasts are supposed to preserve more of the bean's coffee flavor. I tried one and I agree, but I don't think I'm going to have my wife convinced any time soon.

It was the lightest roast I've ever had. I think I made a few pots with it and tried to get used to the flavor but ended up throwing it away.

I'm back to a medium roast myself now. Used to LOVE dark but lost that taste somewhere. I also used to love tea before I had my daughter and lost my taste for that.

Getting coffee round here is quite tricky. In addition to the usual Nescafe instant, they have a variety of sealed bags with a bewildering selection of 'types'. All with the modern gibberish descriptors.
It's getting very difficult to obtain a coffee which is 'as described'.

Now, which of the Black Rifle types is not too strong ?

Last edited:
It's nice watching my kids suffer the same (grown-up) problems as I did with them.
From a simple "close the door" to "turn that light off"
My dad laughs at me, out loud like right in front of me, when my child acts just the way I did when I was that age. I'm so glad I can give back. :rolleyes:

The lawn is mowed! I'm going to go sit on the back porch and sweat for a while.
Did that last night. Hope you had a ceiling fan or a really good breeze during your porch sitting.

I also used to love tea before I had my daughter and lost my taste for that.
That's kinda sad to me, actually. I lost my taste for salsa after having my child. Not sad though.

I've gotten into iced teas, berry flavors, of all things. Teavana is my new go-to.

But my husband adores coffee. Ill be looking up Black Rifle. Thanks, Chloe. :)

But my husband adores coffee. Ill be looking up Black Rifle. Thanks, Chloe. :)

How you make your coffee might be more important than the coffee you buy.

Over the last 30+ years we've tried a lot of different methods. I've settled on using a Melita cone and filter. That way all of the variables are under my direct control. Unless you get a large cone then you're making one cup at a time and there's probably no more expensive way to make coffee.

My wife uses the Melita, and she sometimes uses an Italian-made coffee maker that a friend of ours bought in Russia. It makes an espresso-like concentrate that she refrigerates, then dilutes with hot water when she wants it. Again, one cup at a time.

We both use a French press now and then. They make good coffee, usually 2-3 cups at a time, but they can also leave fine grounds in the coffee, which to me makes it taste bitter. That isn't so important if you use cream and sugar.

What thorough coffee-making advice! I am sure I will never be such a coffee connoisseur, however, I shall either try it myself and/or pass it along to my husband.

Sincere thanks! :)

How you make your coffee might be more important than the coffee you buy.

Over the last 30+ years we've tried a lot of different methods. I've settled on using a Melita cone and filter. That way all of the variables are under my direct control. Unless you get a large cone then you're making one cup at a time and there's probably no more expensive way to make coffee.

My wife uses the Melita, and she sometimes uses an Italian-made coffee maker that a friend of ours bought in Russia. It makes an espresso-like concentrate that she refrigerates, then dilutes with hot water when she wants it. Again, one cup at a time.

We both use a French press now and then. They make good coffee, usually 2-3 cups at a time, but they can also leave fine grounds in the coffee, which to me makes it taste bitter. That isn't so important if you use cream and sugar.

With five daughters in that range you must have been keeping mum pretty busy, back 20 or 26 years ago.

Not quite. I brought son plus D1 to our marriage. My wife contributed D2.

D1 and D2 are only a week apart in age and met before their respective parents - in the same Day Care.

D's 4 and 5 are twins with D3 pretty much in the middle - so maybe busyish.:)

Many of our coffees here are unlabeled, mystery roasts. Ask me if I care. Or know.

My only child lives a few hours away. Her husband is a licensed pot grower. Mine is all free. Hmmm, maybe I'll throw a bud into my next espresso brew. After tomorrow's eye surgery, sure.

Back to coffee. We travel a lot and occasionally overnight at motels with in-room coffee. Some of those are swinish K-cups. Whatever. We generally mix the provided contents into our travel stashes of grounds. "What's your poison?" ain't a trick question.

PS: Has anyone else been getting lots of error screens when trying access the LIT forums?

Afternooner all,

My house guests are back. :) I also have a new story up that is doing pretty good for non-erotic. I've been busy but writing has not had anything to do with it.

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd.

Now back to your normal programming already in progress. :D

Afternooner all,

My house guests are back. :) I also have a new story up that is doing pretty good for non-erotic. I've been busy but writing has not had anything to do with it.

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd.

Now back to your normal programming already in progress. :D

Ah, time for a pre-retiring cup of Tea.
But if the coffee is available in seven or so hours, I'd LOVE one. :)

Ah, time for a pre-retiring cup of Tea.
But if the coffee is available in seven or so hours, I'd LOVE one. :)

One cuppa coming up.

Oh yeah, I'll make fresh coffee before i retire this evening. A big story on the evening news. A new study of 200,000 people over the last 20 years has concluded that one cup of coffee can increase your life and health by 12%. Three cups can increase things by 18%. A pot a day should make you bullet proof. :D

Oh yeah, I'll make fresh coffee before i retire this evening. A big story on the evening news. A new study of 200,000 people over the last 20 years has concluded that one cup of coffee can increase your life and health by 12%. Three cups can increase things by 18%. A pot a day should make you bullet proof. :D

There's one thing that's always good to know. Who funded that study?

One cuppa coming up.

Yaaaaaay. On that basis I should be good for about 250 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back