The 2023 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

It is a very hard category to break into lol I guess it would have paid to go outside SF&F for geek pride, too natural of a go to.
Yeah, it's a learning experience when you go into a new category, not knowing the proclivities of the inhabitants... it's my first time in SF&F with A World Of Our Own, but it's doing about the same numbers if not better than an NC/R submission (my stomping ground), and we aren't at the weekend yet (SF&F, @NoTalentHack - that's 15, just saying)

Yeah, it's a learning experience when you go into a new category, not knowing the proclivities of the inhabitants... it's my first time in SF&F with A World Of Our Own, but it's doing about the same numbers if not better than an NC/R submission (my stomping ground), and we aren't at the weekend yet (SF&F, @NoTalentHack - that's 15, just saying)
You've got a two year lead on me! I'm doing what I can, sir!

I don't know why, but the Geek Prince story has drawn more than its share of 1 bombs. About 4400 reads so far and hanging on with a 4.5. I did have one person say that it wasn't a geek story because it wasn't SF.

The funny thing is that it's a near future alt history. The break point is that Lee was assassinated at Appomattox. Guerilla resistance that made the Balkans and Afghanistan look like a tea party in comparison went on till WW1. I put the stories in n

I don't know why, but the Geek Prince story has drawn more than its share of 1 bombs. About 4400 reads so far and hanging on with a 4.5. I did have one person say that it wasn't a geek story because it wasn't SF.

The funny thing is that it's a near future alt history. The break point is that Lee was assassinated at Appomattox. Guerilla resistance that made the Balkans and Afghanistan look like a tea party in comparison went on till WW1. I put the stories in n
Alternate history is absolutely geek shit. Ignore them.

Definitely got a few ones for sure, and I did put my submission in Sci-Fi. Tough crowd! 😂

At the end of the day though some people just might not care for it? For all we know there could be some geek-hater rando just sweeping down the event submissions, down voting without even bothering to read them.

The fact that voting is so anonymous is why I don’t put much merit into it. I’m happy with my story. It was a massively fun event!

Definitely got a few ones for sure, and I did put my submission in Sci-Fi. Tough crowd! 😂

At the end of the day though some people just might not care for it? For all we know there could be some geek-hater rando just sweeping down the event submissions, down voting without even bothering to read them.

The fact that voting is so anonymous is why I don’t put much merit into it. I’m happy with my story. It was a massively fun event!
It's actually fairly popular based on numbers and scores. I do have the occasional rando who skims till offended. What surprised me on this one is that the comments are extremely positive.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing...! If you're happy with it, then that's all that counts. I've noticed that after the crowd dies down, the stories then start to lift as you get people over the long-tail actively finding you through your tags or other work as opposed to you being the #6 in a list of all sorts of things. *Those* are your people, right?

I just realized I forgot one of the tags. "Geek Pride 2023"
Ugh! Will it still show up with the other 2023 entries?
I remembered the "Geek Pride" tag and remembered to put it in the notes and I put it at the end of my story.
If it doesn't, let me know, give me a link to the story, and I'll ask Laurel to include

Thank you @ChloeTzang !!!

Em

You're welcome - and thank you so much everyone for getting your stories in. A great collection :)

I'm afraid I've been AWOL - work has been a killer for the last few weeks and I was putting every spare moment into trying to finish my Geek Day story and it just didn't pan out. Never mind, it's a lot further along for next year now. I gotta head start.

It is a very hard category to break into lol I guess it would have paid to go outside SF&F for geek pride, too natural of a go to.
Oh yes, Sci-Fi is - lots of stories go in there and you move off the new stories page really quickly. I try and for my Sci-Fi into other categories where I can

Gaaaaah. Geek stories can be in any category. Miine was going to be in First Time lol. Geek girls have to lose it too!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Alternate history is absolutely geek shit. Ignore them.
Oh yeah it is definitely geek shit!!!!!

And I have my very own alternate WW2 history where Oswald Mosley wins the elections before the war, starts to build up the military, gets himself assassinated, and Diana Mitford is elected and becomes PM, leads the UK into WW2, Hitler launches Sea Lion thinking the BUF will cave, but the "Iron Lady" leads the UK to victory, crushing the German invasion and going on to lead the UK to victory.... not quite sure where the sex comes but whatever, Diana was a pretty hot lady... maybe for next year

Chloe, thanks for hosting this and congratulations to all who finished their stories for the event. Life has been keeping me too busy to do much writing recently so my story (like the one for the previous wvent) is probably in limbo until next year but I look forward to reading some of the completed works.

Thx again :) to everyone who wrote for this (hangs head in shame and not finishing....). Going to be fun reading this weekend

And of course there is Geek Day 2024 coming soon....LOL. This is very much an annual event and I'd like to get even more stories in for next year, but maybe do it like the competitions and spread them over a couple of weeks so we don't overload new stories, esp on the Sci Fi category

You've got a two year lead on me! I'm doing what I can, sir!
Most of that was spent in GS or EC. C'mon. We should totally revive Chain Stories*, that's been a long time between drinks.

*no, we shouldn't. this heinous one-up-(person)-ship has to stop. Got something lined up for another new category though, just so you're aware.

Most of that was spent in GS or EC. C'mon. We should totally revive Chain Stories*, that's been a long time between drinks.

*no, we shouldn't. this heinous one-up-(person)-ship has to stop. Got something lined up for another new category though, just so you're aware.
We should totally do a chain story.

Oh yeah it is definitely geek shit!!!!!

And I have my very own alternate WW2 history where Oswald Mosley wins the elections before the war, starts to build up the military, gets himself assassinated, and Diana Mitford is elected and becomes PM, leads the UK into WW2, Hitler launches Sea Lion thinking the BUF will cave, but the "Iron Lady" leads the UK to victory, crushing the German invasion and going on to lead the UK to victory.... not quite sure where the sex comes but whatever, Diana was a pretty hot lady... maybe for next year
Sounds pretty good. So Hitler does not invade the Soviet Union in 1941? England launched their own Normandy invasion in 1940-41? They'd need the United States for that, who did join in December. The Germans were pretty tough; it was the Soviets who truly defeated them. Churchill got it right: "The war was won with British courage, American money, and Russian blood." All three were needed for victory.

I'm not sure that even Lee's assassination would have started a true guerrilla war. I think it's true that he was against such an idea. But the Confederates were completely depleted and war-weary by that point. When the Balkan wars started in 1991-92, the participants were still fairly fresh. The Taliban are hardly a good comparison. They had indeed fought the Soviets for a while, and then the Allied armies. They seemed to have a knack for insurgencies going back to he 19th Century, and the terrain was favorable for them.

The American South was quite different. For one thing, it's a much larger, and somewhat flatter area. The Confederates themselves were out of manpower and supplies, and what infrastructure they possessed was destroyed. The civilians just wanted it over already. It's true that they were bitter about Reconstruction. But when that ended, they got Jim Crow laws back and accepted the deal for the next eighty years.

I was happy with my story and it was a fun event. However, it's been very slow so far. Romance category, no sex depicted (a little described), no sci-fi elements at all - well, there's always tomorrow. :unsure:

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing...! If you're happy with it, then that's all that counts. I've noticed that after the crowd dies down, the stories then start to lift as you get people over the long-tail actively finding you through your tags or other work as opposed to you being the #6 in a list of all sorts of things. *Those* are your people, right?
True, thanks for the encouragement. It's only been less than twenty-four hours so far.

Back