Story format

lc69hunter

Thoughtful
I am writing a Loving Wives story, though it could easily fit into Mature, which is a much easier category not to get flamed in, and probably where I will post it.

However, almost all stories in this genre. start with the same scenario. It starts with what is happening or has happened and then takes us back to the beginning where this all started. This one starts with my 18 year of daughter screaming into my phone, "what the fuck, Dad?", and then with us getting home, and having to explain to my daughter where this started.

Is there an alternative way of starting this?

Are you asking how to start a fictional story, generally? Or about the expectations in different category here on Lit?

So I think what you're describing is starting in media res before backtracking. That's definitely not the only way to start a story. I don't read enough Mature stories to know how widespread it is, but I would say to just write the story you're comfortable writing in the way you feel suits it best.

Though I do certainly appreciate the appeal of fitting it into another category other than Loving Wives, as I've done similar with my own writings.

Are you asking how to start a fictional story, generally? Or about the expectations in different category here on Lit?
No, I just want to know if someone could give me an idea of the different way to start the story, as opposed to what most writers do. I know where the story goes, but just looking for an idea starting it that is not what most writers start with. because most start with what is happening and then go back and bring us forward from the start.

The first thing to think about is what you want the story to emphasize. Plot, character, or theme.

Plot - Start with an event (inciting incident) and then flash back or regress to necessary background. Makes a more fast paced, exciting story. (the style you are talking about above)
Character - Start with a description of the character, or better, a scene of minor actions that reveal the character. It's a little bit more literary and signals that the story is a bit of a slow burn.
Theme - start with some general discussion of an idea, either by the narrator or the characters. Generally will be a more literary story, but not necessarily so hifalutin'.

Examples of each in my stories (linked in my sig)
Plot - Nudios pizza
Character - Hey Nineteen
Theme - Our New Nude Life.

You can get more subtle and mix and match once you get the hang of it. And these aren't the only way.

Edit: I'd add Setting - begin with a description of the place or general, wide scale circumstances (e.g. political or social situation, etc). Usually means a more atmospheric and abstract story with a more subtle plot. This is often used in science fiction to ground the reader in the world the story takes place in.

And none of these are hard and fast rules.

Last edited:
Conventional wisdom is to start your story with something that grabs the reader from the first lines. For a format like Literotica where the reader is choosing between tons of possible stories to read, this seems quite wise. This is why so many stories do the in media res thing. It lets you immediately hit the reader with the exciting bit.

But you're asking for alternatives. There sure are some.

One option would be to never backtrack. Start the story with the screaming daughter and only move forward in time from there. You'll have to leave enough context clues that the reader can guess at the backstory. But when it works, I personally really appreciate this approach as a reader.

An alternative way to grab a reader's attention, aside from dropping them into action, is with a promise. If you can craft your opening in a way that lets the reader know something worthwhile is coming, they might stick around to see it. A lot of horror relies on this, preferring not to show the monster to the reader until later, but drawing a foreboding picture of the haunted house on the hill. In erotica I've also seen the promise made very explicitly, "I looked up from my desk to see a man in a green tie. How could I have known that in a few short hours it would be wrapped around my throat?"

Lastly, you could hook your reader with your prose, or your voice. The hardest choice by far. But some few writers can discuss the day's humdrum in a way that enraptures. I have no good advice here. Because novelty's most of the thing. But if you can do it, you can start your story wherever you damn well please.

I've written a couple stories for Mature, I don't recall starting a story as you describe.

It's hard to give you more help without knowing more about your story, but from what you describe, it would be easy to skip the phone call and start with the conversation at home with the daughter. The first line would be dialogue.

I begin a story several different ways depending upon the narrator and the scenario I want to be the focus of the story. If the story is about the past, I'll usually write in 3d person and begin with what happened to generate the plot. If the story is about the future, I'll write it in 1st or 3d person and lay the groundwork in either the past or the future depending upon what makes sense to me. If the story takes place in current time, it can be either 1st or 3d person and usually starts out with what the main character is doing at the time.

The "hook" is important. You need to give the reader a reason to keep reading. That can be done in any of the above formats.

No, I just want to know if someone could give me an idea of the different way to start the story, as opposed to what most writers do. I know where the story goes, but just looking for an idea starting it that is not what most writers start with. because most start with what is happening and then go back and bring us forward from the start.

This, I think, could mean two slightly different things.

One - the story starts with the screaming phone call. They then sit down to discuss what happened. The perspective shifts to what happened (years/months/yesterday) ago and proceeds normally. The perspective then returns to the present day and the daughter says "So that's what happened."

Two - the story starts with the screeming phone call. They then sit down to discuss what happened. The MC tells the daughter in dialogue what happened. The daugher says "Oh, I see." The end.

Two is potentially more interesting if the story is about the relationship between dad and daughter. The first is more of a framing device for whatever debauchery happened in the past.

I've just finished writing a LW tale that starts with the MC living in a Holiday Inn two days after leaving his cheating wife. We don't need to see the moment of discovery, first of all because it's fairly obvious what happened and because, about half-way through, the MC needs to tell someone else about it. When he tells that person his experience is filtered through his current state of mind and with a focus on what he's doing next, rather than a simple, in the moment, narrative.

I posted a short "How To" piece that covers some different literary techniques that could apply to your situation. The exposition within your story could be handled a few different ways. Only you can decide which fits the premise and the flow of your story best.

I just want to know if someone could give me an idea of the different way to start the story, as opposed to what most writers do. I know where the story goes, but just looking for an idea starting it that is not what most writers start with. because most start with what is happening and then go back and bring us forward from the start.
What's your motivation behind this?

What do you want to accomplish?

Is it for any reason other than simply to be somehow "different"?

My personal feeling is that the best way to be different is to write different content rather than to use a different literary timing technique. Do you feel like your plot, atmosphere or theme idea is different enough that it can stand on its own without resorting to a contrived timing technique which might not be necessary to serve the story? Or does the story in fact depend on a technique like non-linear narration or timing jumps?

Thinking about questions like these might help you zero in on what kind of a beginning will serve the story best, including thinking up a novel technique as well as coming to realize whether that novelty is even called for at all.

Discussing them with AH could also help other authors give you better ideas which you'd know it if you saw it. I don't now if you've felt like any of the feedback so far has helped, but, maybe these questions can help us help you :)

Back