Story Delete by Mistake (Maybe?)

VerbalAbuse

Really Really Experienced
I was re-editing and re-uploading my longest story, when it got deleted.
I asked the site to delete one chapter so that I could re-upload the better and improved version, when the entire story -- all the chapters -- were deleted.

I could go through the trouble of putting it back on, but I am disheartened. I don't quite like how lit works, how it takes so long to "approve" the new postings, how it's so difficult to modify posted stories, etc.

Opinions?

If you want the other chapters back up, might be worth messaging Laurel to see if it's possible to undelete. Even if it's not, it would be worth letting her know that these chapters were incorrectly deleted in the hope that the same mistake won't happen again to somebody else.

As for the other stuff, these things can be frustrating, and I can imagine that having a long story mistakenly deleted would be very disheartening. But I'm not sure if anybody else can give you useful advice on whether you should put up with them or quit. That seems like a choice you need to make for yourself.

If you want the other chapters back up, might be worth messaging Laurel to see if it's possible to undelete. Even if it's not, it would be worth letting her know that these chapters were incorrectly deleted in the hope that the same mistake won't happen again to somebody else.

As for the other stuff, these things can be frustrating, and I can imagine that having a long story mistakenly deleted would be very disheartening. But I'm not sure if anybody else can give you useful advice on whether you should put up with them or quit. That seems like a choice you need to make for yourself.

well, you know how is messaging Laurel. Can't expect any answer. Which is another of my frustrations. If so much depend on a human deciding things, why is there just one person doing it all?
I'm not surprised Laurel is not answering, I imagine she's awfully busy.
Probably the deletion mistake came from being overworked and no longer paying sufficient attention to requests.

well, you know how is messaging Laurel. Can't expect any answer. Which is another of my frustrations. If so much depend on a human deciding things, why is there just one person doing it all?
I'm not surprised Laurel is not answering, I imagine she's awfully busy.
Probably the deletion mistake came from being overworked and no longer paying sufficient attention to requests.

BTW, are you able to tell me the title, or better the URL, for one of the deleted stories? Just had an idea for something to try.

well, you know how is messaging Laurel. Can't expect any answer.
But, from my experience, you can usually expect a response in the appropriate action, eventually. She's pretty good at doing the right thing, she just may not tell you what she's doing.

Yeah, it's not there anymore. I understand how frustrating all of this must be to you, yet all you can do is arm yourself with patience. Report the mistake and wait. Hopefully, your stories will be restored along with their scores and comments. If Laurel doesn't respond or react, PM her again. It is what it is and it's not going to change before some healthy competition appears and shows that authors can and should be treated differently.

Thanks - unfortunately, the thing I tried didn't work, so it may be permanently deleted from the site unless Laurel/Manu have a backup somewhere. Sorry not to be more help.

(Sometimes if a story is taken down, the comments page still exists, which I think means that the story is still there, just hidden from view. But in this case the comments page looks to be gone too.)

Thanks - unfortunately, the thing I tried didn't work, so it may be permanently deleted from the site unless Laurel/Manu have a backup somewhere. Sorry not to be more help.

(Sometimes if a story is taken down, the comments page still exists, which I think means that the story is still there, just hidden from view. But in this case the comments page looks to be gone too.)

Thank you.

(of course I have the text on my laptop, it's not lost for good.)

I was re-editing and re-uploading my longest story, when it got deleted.
I asked the site to delete one chapter so that I could re-upload the better and improved version, when the entire story -- all the chapters -- were deleted.

I could go through the trouble of putting it back on, but I am disheartened. I don't quite like how lit works, how it takes so long to "approve" the new postings, how it's so difficult to modify posted stories, etc.

Opinions?
It sounds to me that your deletion request might have been ambiguous if you only wanted one chapter taken down and the whole lot disappeared.

Next time, submit an edit request, not a deletion request. The first replaces the text but keeps everything else, a deletion is permanent.

My opinion - don't futz with old stories, write new ones.

Back