Sticky: 2013 Survivor Rules and Registration Thread

The contest submissions have a deadline for posting as well as content limitations PLUS they require a particular number of votes to count. I think those factors warrant a bonus.

You can post the 3-1 pt value stories at your leisure any time throughout the year.

First, I want to say I really enjoy your audible stories. Reading a story and listening to it at the same time is really great, and the sound effects, if that's what they are, make for a terrific combination

Thanks Box!

As I understand it, you want Lit. to retain the Audible Stories category but remove it from the Survivors' Contest. That way, when an audible story is posted, the writer-recorder can allocate it to any category he or she thinks is appropriate. Of course, this would mean the moderators would have to verify that the allocation was correct. If you wrote a story about a man fucking his daughter and allocated it to EC, I would read it and change it to Incest. That would be easy. If you had a woman extorting her daughter-in-law into having anal sex using a strapon, that would not be as easy. There are five possible categories there.

This would be a considerable departure from the current rules. For the first time, an author would be deciding in what Survivor category a story would be placed.

I think you understand my suggestion now, Box. Sorry if it was muddled! :eek:

How would it be any more complicated than a written story about a woman extorting her daughter-in-law into having anal sex using a strap-on. Authors already submit their stories into the category they think it belongs in and, if the Lit moderators don't agree, they change it to the proper category. Not really a big departure, I don't think. Same verification process, different format of submission.

Thanks Box!

I think you understand my suggestion now, Box. Sorry if it was muddled! :eek:

How would it be any more complicated than a written story about a woman extorting her daughter-in-law into having anal sex using a strap-on. Authors already submit their stories into the category they think it belongs in and, if the Lit moderators don't agree, they change it to the proper category. Not really a big departure, I don't think. Same verification process, different format of submission.

What I mean is that now, Laurel decides what category any story is assigned to, although you can ask for a change if you don't like her choice. With the rule change you are asking for, I or another moderator would have to make that choice. Sometimes it would be simple and sometimes it would be complicated, such as in the story I described. People would object and get on my case if they didn't like my choice, especially if I allocated a story to a category that was already full to the first cap. :eek:

I would probably allocate that one to Non-Consent/Reluctance although, if it had been her stepdaughter, I could classify it as Incest.

The contest submissions have a deadline for posting as well as content limitations PLUS they require a particular number of votes to count. I think those factors warrant a bonus.

You can post the 3-1 pt value stories at your leisure any time throughout the year.

Theme contest entries do have deadlines, but they are very easy ones. I have a story in process now that I intend to enter in next year's Winter Holiday Contest. Except for subject matter, there are no limitations on theme contest entries, and even that limitation is easy to meet. In order for a theme contest entry to count in the Survivors' Contest, it just has to be accepted. It doesn't need any votes at all. They already have bonuses in that they are worth five points and are not restricted by the Survivors' Contest chapter rule, which is more stringent than the one established by Lit.

What I mean is that now, Laurel decides what category any story is assigned to, although you can ask for a change if you don't like her choice. With the rule change you are asking for, I or another moderator would have to make that choice.

Actually, the author submits the story to a category and unless Laurel or a mod flags it as miscategorized, then it stays in that category. Here's a real life example...

My story, When Love Comes To Town is about a young couple choosing to have anal sex as their first sexual encounter, thereby "saving" themselves for marriage. The written version of this story was submitted to the Anal category, even though it could have easily gone into "First Time." I chose the category to put it into and I assumed no one objected, because there it stayed. The audio interpretation of the story, When Love Comes To Town, with regards to my suggestion, would have been placed in the Anal category, under the rule change I'm suggesting. I would put it there on my scorecard just as I put the written version into the Anal category when I submitted the story to the site. The only time a mod would have to get involved was if there was an objection raised about the story being miscategorized.

Just to be clear, I am NOT suggesting that I could submit the written version and the audio version of the same story and take up two spots on the scorecard. I only submitted a written version because I was going to attempt to make a good effort for Survivor that year and knew that I couldn't count audio stories as anything other than audio...but still wanted to keep my audio fans engaged. I only counted the written version on the scorecard. The double work quickly became too much effort.

Im in.

Quick question though, do the storys have to be "good" to earn you a point? Is there like a minimum score to achieve?

Not saying i will just make tons of crap stories, but surely there must be something to stop people just spamming stories to earn points.

Last edited:
Im in.

Quick question though, do the storys have to be "good" to earn you a point? Is there like a minimum score to achieve?

Not saying i will just make tons of crap stories, but surely there must be something to stop people just spamming stories to earn points.
As long as you hit the minimum 750 word count (or 7500 words for Novels/Novellas) it's accepted, but there doesn't need to be any minimum rating for a story.

So, theoretically, you could just write a bunch of 750 word stories that aren't very good, but what's the fun in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porson
Im in.

As long as you hit the minimum 750 word count (or 7500 words for Novels/Novellas) it's accepted, but there doesn't need to be any minimum rating for a story.

So, theoretically, you could just write a bunch of 750 word stories that aren't very good, but what's the fun in that?

That's correct. As long as the story is accepted by Lit., it is accepted for the Survivors' Contest with no question. The one exception to that is those in thr Novels/Novellas category have to be a minimum length (7,500 words) here, but they don't have to be any particular length to be accepted by Lit.

Regarding contests, something I need a little clarification. The contest entry can't be used for any other category once it's posted/marked on the scrorecard as a contest entry, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding contests, something I need a little clarification. The contest entry can't be used for any other category once it's posted/marked on the scrorecard as a contest entry, correct?

I assume you mean a theme contest. If you write a story, for instance in the Anal Sex Category and enter it in a contest, you can change your mind later and allocate it to Anal Sex instead. I can't imagine anybody doing that, unless they wrote a second contest entry and decided to use that second story for the contest entry on their scoresheet.

What I do, and what I suggest others do, when they write more than one theme contest entry, wait until the entry deadline has passed, and then update your scoresheet.

The only thing you can't change is an entry for an immunity. Once you have announced on the immunity thread where you want it to go, you cannot change that.

As for scoresheets, I will get them prepared after I know for certain there will be a contest this year and I know of any new categories that might be added. There has been discussion of a Bisexual category and, it this happens, I would rather make the change in the scoresheets before issuing them than later.

Last edited:
I don't think I was really clear in asking my question. What I meant, is if I submit my Romance story in the Valentine's day contest, I can't use the same story form Romance category. Is it one or the other and or can I use for both the category and Valentine's day contest?

I assume you mean a theme contest. If you write a story, for instance in the Anal Sex Category and enter it in a contest, you can change your mind later and allocate it to Anal Sex instead. I can't imagine anybody doing that, unless they wrote a second contest entry and decided to use that second story for the contest entry on their scoresheet.

What I do, and what I suggest others do, when they write more than one theme contest entry, wait until the entry deadline has passed, and then update your scoresheet.

The only thing you can't change is an entry for an immunity. Once you have announced on the immunity thread where you want it to go, you cannot change that.

As for scoresheets, I will get them prepared after I know for certain there will be a contest this year and I know of any new categories that might be added. There has been discussion of a Bisexual category and, it this happens, I would rather make the change in the scoresheets before issuing them than later.

Did you not tell Cinner close to the end of the year, that she could move an Immunity to another slot, if she found a different home for a story?

Did you not tell Cinner close to the end of the year, that she could move an Immunity to another slot, if she found a different home for a story?

No. This is what I said:

As for your question, you absolutely cannot have an immunity and a story in the same cap of the same category. However, there is something you might be able to do. This is not a recommendation or even a suggestion. I'm just mentioning a possibility:

If you have a category with one story, you can withdraw that story from the contest and use the immunity for that category instead. So far, that's a foolish thing to do, because It reduces your score by three points. However, if you can prevail upon Laurel to change the category of that story to something else, you can then post the story to the new category. Obviously, the new category has to make sense. If you have a story of a man and a woman having sex, with nobody but them in the story, it would never be posted to Lesbian or Gay Male. If a celebrity is getting it on with his sister, it goes to Celebrity, not Incest. Illustrated or audible stories go to those categries, and nowhere else, uness they happen to involve a celeb. However, there are many stories that would fit equally well in more than one category and, if that is the case here, you might be able to make the change.

ETA: What Red says is true too. You have to finish every category through the first cap before you can start entering additional stories for points in any of the categories. You can include on your scorescard stories in excess of the first cap if you want to, but you can't count them in your score until you have filled in all 35 categories.

You would not move an immunity, but you might be able to withdraw a story from your scoresheet and replace it with an immunity, then get Laurel to change the category of that story and post it in the new place. The only time anybody would ever do this would be to fill in all 35 categories to the first cap and start counting points in the second caps.

No. This is what I said:

As for your question, you absolutely cannot have an immunity and a story in the same cap of the same category. However, there is something you might be able to do. This is not a recommendation or even a suggestion. I'm just mentioning a possibility:

If you have a category with one story, you can withdraw that story from the contest and use the immunity for that category instead. So far, that's a foolish thing to do, because It reduces your score by three points. However, if you can prevail upon Laurel to change the category of that story to something else, you can then post the story to the new category. Obviously, the new category has to make sense. If you have a story of a man and a woman having sex, with nobody but them in the story, it would never be posted to Lesbian or Gay Male. If a celebrity is getting it on with his sister, it goes to Celebrity, not Incest. Illustrated or audible stories go to those categries, and nowhere else, uness they happen to involve a celeb. However, there are many stories that would fit equally well in more than one category and, if that is the case here, you might be able to make the change.

ETA: What Red says is true too. You have to finish every category through the first cap before you can start entering additional stories for points in any of the categories. You can include on your scorescard stories in excess of the first cap if you want to, but you can't count them in your score until you have filled in all 35 categories.

You would not move an immunity, but you might be able to withdraw a story from your scoresheet and replace it with an immunity, then get Laurel to change the category of that story and post it in the new place. The only time anybody would ever do this would be to fill in all 35 categories to the first cap and start counting points in the second caps.

Ah, thanks. I was confused for a moment.

So I was soaking in the tub and realized -- I'm going to be writing for Lit. anyway and even if I don't write a ton of stuff, I can still get a gift card, so that .01% of me that wasn't sure about entering again or not, well it won out.

I'm in.

I'm going to write as if the contest isn't pushing me and when I'm done if I get a gift card - yay for me! If not at least I have a nifty scorecard to track my work for the 2013 year. :)

For the very first time since joining LIT all those years ago, I am going to give it a try. I'm in.

Thanks to RED for convincing me.

BrettJ in Canada

Since there will be a Survivors' Contest this year, I will be starting a scoreboard and setting up scoresheets next week, after the 2012 contest has officially ended.

Thanks Boxlicker. This is the first time we've spoken, I believe. Although we have a mutual employer (although I may write a bit more for them than most)

BrettJ in Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Boxlicker. This is the first time we've spoken, I believe. Although we have a mutual employer (although I may write a bit more for them than most)

BrettJ in Canada

I'm retired, so I don't actually have any employer, but I do try to sell stories through several sites. :D

Back