Smut on the Radio

^^^ Tipper probably turned a bunch of stuff into hits that might have gone less noticed.

Had to be before '85 because WKRP had a few episodes on something similar.

Alright, I'll crack first and mention the one everybody's thinking about: "Summer of 69".

Not quite as well-known, but does anyone remember Velveteen by Transvision Vamp? (Wendy James, *swoon*)
It was deep in the night
When he came through my door
He came to my room
At the end of the hall
He lent over the bed
And kissed my forehead
He brushed the hair from my eyes
And then began to slide...
Slide his hand down
Underneath the sheets
'Till he reached my waist
He didn't waste no time
He put his hand on my thigh
He put his thoughts in my mind
And I drowned in his eyes
As we began to slide...

And even though there's no overt smut in it, the first thing that comes into my head when I see the thread title is Cheap Trick's 'On The Radio'

The Pretenders, Brass In Pocket

There seems to be more than one version of lyrics out there:

Gonna use my arms
Gonna use my legs
Gonna use my style
Gonna use my sidestep
Gonna use my fingers

Also not hard to hear the first one as "ass" instead of "arms". Later in the lyrics there's another "gonna use my..." and she drags that one out before giving "imagination", which feels a wee bit suggestive.

Wouldn't surprise me if the "mishearing" was intentional. John Lydon took great pleasure in singing "Pretty Vacant" as "vay-CUNT", and Chrissie Hynde was good friends with the Pistols back in the day.

Listen to old blues songs, and you'll find many that were metaphorically about sex.

While the Beatles were singing 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', John Lee Hooker was playing 'Shake It Baby'.

Back when Fleetwood Mac was a rock band led by one of the greatest guitar players to ever live, they had this song.

You need some love
You must have the blues
Ain't but the one thing
A good man can do
He do the shake
The rattlesnake shake
Man, do the shake
Yes, and jerk away the blues
Now, jerk it, woo

There is indeed a fair bit of smut on the radio. It's worth noting that some of that smut couldn't be published on Literotica without issues:

-My Sharona would fall afoul of the under-18 rule as Sharona is clearly underage

-Blurred Lines would get moved from EC to NC/R and Robin Thicke would be grumpy about it

-Mr. Roboto would get an AI rejection

And there's always "I Think We're Alone Now." No doubt about what that was about.

Barenaked Ladies had a song called "In My Car" (I think it was on the Stunt album) about making out in a car. One of the lines was something like "It was only mutual masturbation/We were never making love." Nice distinction.

I've been listening to Changing Faces' Stroke You Up and Fooling Around past couple days. Lots of R&B music is good for sex too. Marvin Gaye, Barry White, Aretha... :D

Even Ritchie Valens way back when he was recording .....

Hi Tone

But when I’m the only one around
She lets her hair down
She’s just-a boppin’ baby
And a crazy little clown
She may be shy with the other guy
But when she’s with me, oh, my!

This has been going on way longer than Elvis. There have been moral panics for as long as there have been morals. Carmilla is a good example, going back to 1872. Pretty sure Canterbury Tales has some raunch that was not well received at the time too.

(EDIT: i only skimmed, sorry if this point had already been made)

This has been going on way longer than Elvis. There have been moral panics for as long as there have been morals. Carmilla is a good example, going back to 1872. Pretty sure Canterbury Tales has some raunch that was not well received at the time too.

To be fair, Carmilla *is* quite... suggestive.
As for the Canterbury Tales, the Middle Ages were quite happy with raunchy stuff. There's a morality play called "Mankind" which, if I remember correctly, was fairly explicit in parts. A *morality* play.

To be fair, Carmilla *is* quite... suggestive.
As for the Canterbury Tales, the Middle Ages were quite happy with raunchy stuff. There's a morality play called "Mankind" which, if I remember correctly, was fairly explicit in parts. A *morality* play.
There is a version of Carmilla that lives in my head, and someday I will unleash it upon the world.

Video rather than radio:

What, you don't think that the song is sexy without the video?

Divinyls have some great songs going back to the early 80s.

Boys in Town

I am through with hanging 'round all the boys in town
Now I want a man around, get me out of here
I am just red brassiere to all the boys in town
Put this bus in top gear, get me out of here

I must have been desperate
I must have been pretty low

Get me out of here (too much too young)
Get me out of here (too much too young)

^^One of my all time fave songs.

Casual Encounter

just because i sit alone
don't' mean i'm free
you think your so cool
but you don't cut with me
don't' ask me what my name is
i know what your game is

it's just a casual encounter

don't come on to me
with all those fancy lines
i can read between them
they're like neon signs
you just want to get me get me into bed
so stop pretending
that you like my head

it's just a casual encounter

Chrissy Amphlett was the queen of sass.

Chrissy Amphlett was the queen of sass.
That's the truth! When I was at uni, Divinyls and Flowers (precursor to Icehouse) used to regularly do double-enders at the uni bar, once every two or three months.

I could never work out who was sexier, Chrissy or Iva Davies. I preferred Chrissy, my girlfriend prefered Iva. Didn't matter - our sex later that night was always good!

Always good to see somebody outside Australia who knows them as more than one-hit wonders. They're an iconic band here, but I think they had distribution problems in the USA that got in the way of become more widely known.

My husband is a huge music collector. He has a ton of absolutely filthy "race records" from the 1920s-30s. Listen to this, by a blues singer named Lucile Bogan, aka Bessie Jackson.

I got nipples on my titties, big as the end of my thumb
I got something between my legs'll make a dead man cum
Oh, daddy, baby, won't you shave 'em dry?
Now, draw it out!
Want you to grind me, baby, grind me until I cry
Say I fucked all night, and all the night before, baby
And I feel just like I wanna, fuck some more
Oh, great God daddy, grind me, honey, and shave me dry
And when you hear me holler, baby, want you to shave it dry
I got nipples on my titties, big as the end of my thumb
Daddy, you say that's the kind of 'em you want, and you can make 'em cum
Oh, daddy, shave me dry
And I'll give you something, baby, swear it'll make you cry
I'm gon' turn back my mattress, and let you oil my springs
I want you to grind me, daddy, 'til the bell do ring
Oh, daddy, want you to shave 'em dry
Oh, great God daddy, if you can't shave 'em baby, won't you try?
Now if fucking was the thing that would take me to Heaven
I'd be fucking in the studio 'til the clock strike 11
Oh daddy, daddy, shave 'em dry
I would fuck you, baby, honey, I'd make you cry
Now your nuts hang down like a damn bell sapper
And your dick stands up like a steeple
Your god-damn ass-hole stands open like a church door
And the crabs walks in like people, haw, shit!
Shucks, ooh!
Baby, won't you shave 'em dry?
A big sow gets fat from eating corn
And a pig gets fat from sucking
Reason you see this whore, fat like I am
Great God, I got fat from fucking
Eh, shave 'em dry (with pleasure)
My back is made of whalebone
And my cock is made of brass
And my fucking is made for working men's two dollars
Great God 'round to kiss my ass
Whoa, woo, daddy, shave 'em dry

Always good to see somebody outside Australia who knows them as more than one-hit wonders. They're an iconic band here, but I think they had distribution problems in the USA that got in the way of become more widely known.

When I was little I saw the video for Science Fiction and was like "who is this little school girl with greasy hair and singing all quirky?" And then she started pogoing and I was fascinated.

Now with youtube I can check out everything they ever did. Many of their songs miss the mark for me but certain ones are just awesome. Also everything the Chrissy did was in some way sexy. It was just her attitude.

Back