Should the Confederate Memorial Be Removed from Arlington National Cemetery?

The Confederate memorial depicts slavery and is a reminder of what the war was about. I say leave it there, force the Confederates to accept it.

Then why tear them down? Hmmm?
Yes, reading the independent commissions reports which details why, is difficult.

1. The effort of the government to remove commemoration of the Confederacy from govt property. (Since they, you know, seceded)
2. The gross depiction of blacks

Those are two. I'm sure you disagree with both, because you need these things to remember events of the past.

There is only one reason those statues are being torn down, they commemorate people who fought for an unjust cause. I don't think anyone is going to argue about their cause.

Hundreds of black Americans fought with courage and honor wiping out the American Indians of the plains and the Southwest. That is certainly a questionable cause, how about we tear down the memorial to the Buffalo Soldiers?

Thousands of black Americans fought with courage and honor trying to wipe out the Vietnamese, yet another questionable cause. How about tearing down the Vietnam Memorial?

This nation is overrun with fuckwits that somehow believe tearing shit down is 'building something better.'

There is only one reason those statues are being torn down, they commemorate people who fought for an unjust cause. I don't think anyone is going to argue about their cause.

Hundreds of black Americans fought with courage and honor wiping out the American Indians of the plains and the Southwest. That is certainly a questionable cause, how about we tear down the memorial to the Buffalo Soldiers?

Thousands of black Americans fought with courage and honor trying to wipe out the Vietnamese, yet another questionable cause. How about tearing down the Vietnam Memorial?

This nation is overrun with fuckwits that somehow believe tearing shit down is 'building something better.'
If you object to memorials to the Buffalo Soldiers or the Vietnam memorial, start lobbying to have them removed.

^
(Quoted for posterity and stupidity)

Ho Lee Fuck, Chobby is one ignorant SOB / POS.

😳

How many times does the ACTUAL REASON for the statues removal need to be pointed out.

🤔

Also:

The imagery / messaging of the Buffalo Soldier and Vietnam memorials are NOTHING like the racist propaganda of the “lost cause” statue at Arlington. Not to mention that both those examples were conflicts that didn’t involves sedition / treason to perpetuate the clearly racist and dehumanizing practice of slavery.

Hope that ^ helps.

👍

👉 Chobby 🤣

🇺🇸

Last edited:
It's because they understand that it was put there for those men who fought with courage and honor even if they were fighting for a lost cause.
Except that's not why it was put there. It was put there as a fuck-you to the civil rights movement, which is why it's long past time it was removed.

How many time does the ACTUAL REASON for the statues removal need to be pointed out.

No amount of setting the record straight is going to make any difference to someone whose mind is made up.

There is a fundamental difference between fighting for our country when our country has embarked upon a misguided or, if you prefer, evil cause, and fighting to divide out country in support of an evil institution.
The first is a patriotic act. We can debate the value of patriotism or whether it is a good, but the purpose of monuments to those who have served the country is to honor their patriotism and their service to our country.

Those who fought for slavery also fought against our country. Their monuments cannot be justified either by the cause for which they fought or their patriotism.

To the extent that your point may be that attacking such monuments is a symbolic rather than constructive action, there is some validity to your point. I think that it is worthwhile to try to get people to understand that these monuments were constructed to remind African-Americans of their second class status and lack of power and vulnerablity to abuses from those who built them. However, it is questionable whether the movement to destroy the monuments helps to serve that purpose. That is an issue warranting serious consideration, but it should be separated from any attempt to defend the monuments themselves.

There is a fundamental difference between fighting for our country when our country has embarked upon a misguided or, if you prefer, evil cause, and fighting to divide out country in support of an evil institution.
The first is a patriotic act. We can debate the value of patriotism or whether it is a good, but the purpose of monuments to those who have served the country is to honor their patriotism and their service to our country.

Those who fought for slavery also fought against our country. Their monuments cannot be justified either by the cause for which they fought or their patriotism.

To the extent that your point may be that attacking such monuments is a symbolic rather than constructive action, there is some validity to your point. I think that it is worthwhile to try to get people to understand that these monuments were constructed to remind African-Americans of their second class status and lack of power and vulnerablity to abuses from those who built them. However, it is questionable whether the movement to destroy the monuments helps to serve that purpose. That is an issue warranting serious consideration, but it should be separated from any attempt to defend the monuments themselves.
I’m not disagreeing with your comments.
If I may be so bold though to speak on behalf of good and righteous Americans, venerated fallen soldiers of the United States who died in service of the United States military, as well as the African American community on whether taking down monuments neglects a historical knowledge:

“Naw, we good! Take em down! We alright with that.”

Back