Should the Confederate Memorial Be Removed from Arlington National Cemetery?

Both sides fought for what they thought their country should be. It's a memorial statue, not a glorification of the confederate cause. I think that as long there is a proper historical context provided at the memorial, it should stay or at the very most, be moved to a less prominent location on the grounds of the cemetary.

Both sides fought for what they thought their country should be. It's a memorial statue, not a glorification of the confederate cause. I think that as long there is a proper historical context provided at the memorial, it should stay or at the very most, be moved to a less prominent location on the grounds of the cemetary.
See! Here’s the problem with that way of thinking. Here’s what gets me angry. Here is what got Nikki Haley in trouble to begin with. Here’s what you need to explain in between your muddled phrasing. Underneath all the States rights and economic freedom BS is the undeniable fact that if the confederacy had won, a continuation of slavery was the inevitable outcome.

It was literally a memorial to the “lost cause” erected in the middle of a single plot containing confederate soldiers and their wives who had originally been buried elsewhere.

It was entirely an attempt to rehabilitate the reputation of the Confederacy. That’s its historic context.

It was literally a memorial to the “lost cause” erected in the middle of a single plot containing confederate soldiers and their wives who had originally been buried elsewhere.

It was entirely an attempt to rehabilitate the reputation of the Confederacy. That’s its historic context.
Then I withdrawal my comment. It should be removed. As Indiana Jones would say, "It belongs in a museum (with the proper context, of course)"

Then I withdrawal my comment. It should be removed. As Indiana Jones would say, "It belongs in a museum (with the proper context, of course)"
Sir? Not many come here and are swayed, either way, by convincing argument. If you are not being sarcastic, then you are to be applauded.
Bra and Vo!
TY! You have made my day.

Sir? Not many come here and are swayed, either way, by convincing argument. If you are not being sarcastic, then you are to be applauded.
Bra and Vo!
TY! You have made my day.
A memorial that honors the dead seems appropriate in a cemetery. Fighting on the losing side of a civil war does not diminish the sacrifice. A "memorial" celebrating and glorifying the "lost cause" which is undoubtedly the enslavement of human beings is not worthy of recognition. I didnt read through the whole thread or even view the object but based on the response to my comment and assuming the truth of that comment, it should be removed.

Last edited:
A memorial that honors the dead seems appropriate in a cemetary. Fighting on the losing side of a civil war does not diminish the sacrafice. A "memorial" celebrating and glorifying the "lost cause" which is undoubtedly the enslavement of human beings is not worthy of recognition. I didnt read through the whole thread or even view the object but based on the response to my comment and assuming the truth of that comment, it should be removed.
I'm not arguing, ok? But need to reiterate the distinction that Arlington, and any other designated space reserved for the burial of American soldiers, is not just any cemetery. Men and women continue to die in defense of this country. As a child of a man buried in such a place, it is a dishonor to give any equivalency to any one else who took up arms against the values they died to uphold.

That's interesting. I was unaware of that. Been to Arlington a few times and never saw a Confederate monument.

I'm not arguing, ok? But need to reiterate the distinction that Arlington, and any other designated space reserved for the burial of American soldiers, is not just any cemetery. Men and women continue to die in defense of this country. As a child of a man buried in such a place, it is a dishonor to give any equivalency to any one else who took up arms against the values they died to uphold.
I in no way want to dishonor the sacrifices of those who have given their all for this country. But, your comment makes me pose this question. Today, the prospects of a civil war of some kind are not zero with two groups vying for the soul of this country and espousing particular views of what this country should be. One side will eventually be victorious but almost certainly there will be casualties (Ashley Babbit comes to mind). Does the loser (please let it be MAGA) forfeit honor for those that died for the America that they wanted? This is a mind experiment only and I intend no disrespect.

One way to view the Civil War is a fight between two empires within one nation, the manufacturing empire of the north and the agricultural empire of the south. The agricultural empire needed a constantly expanding supply of new land as cash crop farming destroyed soil fertility. The manufacturing empire prevailed and eventually expanded around the world. Now as that empire is dying, monuments to a vanquished empire are somehow offensive. The Confederacy lost the war, so Confederate war monuments commemorate the defeat.

I in no way want to dishonor the sacrifices of those who have given their all for this country. But, your comment makes me pose this question. Today, the prospects of a civil war of some kind are not zero with two groups vying for the soul of this country and espousing particular views of what this country should be. One side will eventually be victorious but almost certainly there will be casualties (Ashley Babbit comes to mind). Does the loser (please let it be MAGA) forfeit honor for those that died for the America that they wanted? This is a mind experiment only and I intend no disrespect.
No disrespect taken and, please, share your views here more often.
This is a pretty good question. I'll try to tie it all together. Excuse me if I repeat myself. The end result of a Confederacy victory would have been a continuation of slavery. That's not my speculating in '24, that was a known fact during that time period. The large percentage of those who died, on both sides, never owned slaves. Slave owners, white supremacists, and corporate monied interests essentially convinced a majority in the south to fight their war (this is my opinion and also a broad generalization). Babbitt served in the military and would have deserved an honorable burial in a place such as Arlington. Her actions on J6 forfeited that honor. Babbitt died fighting for others who fed her a lie and a con. She died for a power hungry few who happily talked the talk of rebellion then went back to their white pillared plantations to dance and drink while watching the events unfold. Normally, I would agree that the winner can control the narrative, but that's not true. Today we are told by those who failed on J6 that it was an orderly tourist event. That it was BLM or Antifa. Truth always takes a beating in the beginning. History, I believe, will bend towards the truth no matter the victor.

I’ve been to Arlington on several occasions. Have two friends buried there. Don’t ever recall seeing the confederate statue. I certainly don’t hold I’ll will for it being there, it’s part of our history. Monuments, statues are a reminder of our past, good or bad.

“A bronze statue of George Floyd (1973–2020), an African-American man who was murdered by police in Minneapolis, was completed by Stanley Watts and unveiled in 2021. It is situated outside Newark, New Jersey's City Hall. Newark, New Jersey, U.S.” I find this statue offensive and doesn’t capture the real truth about the man, but it’s more of a tribute to free speech and I certainly don’t want it removed.

I’ve been to Arlington on several occasions. Have two friends buried there. Don’t ever recall seeing the confederate statue. I certainly don’t hold I’ll will for it being there, it’s part of our history. Monuments, statues are a reminder of our past, good or bad.

“A bronze statue of George Floyd (1973–2020), an African-American man who was murdered by police in Minneapolis, was completed by Stanley Watts and unveiled in 2021. It is situated outside Newark, New Jersey's City Hall. Newark, New Jersey, U.S.” I find this statue offensive and doesn’t capture the real truth about the man, but it’s more of a tribute to free speech and I certainly don’t want it removed.
The truth about the man being murdered by police?

You don't need a reminder of the past, you're a walking example.
A black man killed by a group of police officers, where no crime was ever found to have occurred. Tell me what isn't fitting about memorialising this to remind other police and the public that this behaviour is not acceptable, and the public expects better from LEO's.

A black man killed by a group of police officers, where no crime was ever found to have occurred. Tell me what isn't fitting about memorialising this to remind other police and the public that this behaviour is not acceptable, and the public expects better from LEO's.
I agree with your point here, but we both know the answer: he thinks Floyd got what he deserved.

The truth about the man being murdered by police?
Remember fry-guy thinks Floyd would have choked to death on his own. It wasn’t the knee of the racist cop that did it. Says so in his right wing talking points.

It appears that the memorial is going to be removed so as to satisfy the sensibilities of a group of worthless, whining, pieces of shit.

It appears that the memorial is going to be removed so as to satisfy the sensibilities of a group of worthless, whining, pieces of shit.
An independent commission determined that the removal was appropriate. Feel free to lobby your representative accordingly

Yup, worthless, whining, pieces of shit fired up by the SPLC, yet another corrupt organization.

What you won't find is some large black veterans group demanding the removal. Why is that you may ask? It's because they understand that it was put there for those men who fought with courage and honor even if they were fighting for a lost cause. It is those that are demanding the removal of these symbols of our nations past, both good and bad, that should be removed from society.

AH was not an American

Confederates were, often from the same town, business and family as their Union counterparts. And when it was over, they went back to those roles. Many of them were better citizens for it.
If being an American is the criterion, then how would you feel about a memorial to Benedict Arnold?

One side fought for the right to own other human beings, to whip and beat and rape, and to tear apart families. If that is what they thought the country should be, they should not be honored for fighting for that belief.

Yup, worthless, whining, pieces of shit fired up by the SPLC, yet another corrupt organization.

What you won't find is some large black veterans group demanding the removal. Why is that you may ask? It's because they understand that it was put there for those men who fought with courage and honor even if they were fighting for a lost cause. It is those that are demanding the removal of these symbols of our nations past, both good and bad, that should be removed from society.
Sounds rough.

History doesn't depend on statues.

^
(Quoted for posterity and stupidity)

Chobby should probably go ask some “large black veterans group” if they don’t mind a racist propaganda statue portraying their enslaved ancestors as adoring of their "white masters” and willing to fight and die to maintain the institution of slavery being at Arlington.

👍

👉 Chobby 🤣

🇺🇸

Side note:

Only a POS "American” would expect / demand some “large black veterans group” be the ones to lead the charge in removing such a heinous piece of racist propaganda from Arlington. - They have sacrificed enough for this country, only to have been repeatedly under recognized and under compensated.

It’s actually PERFECTLY appropriate that someone else (civilian groups) lead the charge on this front.

👍

👉 Chobby 🤣

🇺🇸

Last edited:
Back