Should I bother reading and/or watching The Handmaid's Tale?

DMBFFF

Literotica Guru
(click pic for video)

9:35

The Handmaids Tale Plot Summary
7:22

The Handmaid’s Tale Summary
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/handmaid/summary/

For the most part, I haven't read the book The Handmaid's Tale (or "A Handmaid's Tail" here): a few pages of the epilogue, years ago maybe, but that's pretty much it.

I saw the movie with Duvall, Richardson, and Dunaway (quite a roll-reversal from Network :) for her).

I've yet to see the TV series as I regard the scenario to be so improbable as to be ridiculous and potentially boring (FWIW, I've yet to see Game of Thrones or most of the recent Star Trek movies as I'm kind of fed up with bad sci-fi in the latter case and lack of heroes in the former), but I saw a few scenes in YouTube.

I quickly checked the Wikipedia article a while ago.

Is it me, or is Wikipedia bad at describing stories?

From what I understand, in the story, the US becomes the "Republic of Gilead," which though isn’t a Christian theocracy, is something like it. There might have been conditions that left people infertile, save for a minority—I think a small minority—of women (and presumably some men). Those women are pressed into service as “handmaids” who bear children for rich couples in weird ritualized threesomes.

Gilead is a dictatorship and somewhat at war, albeit it mostly with the rest of the US. The book, like 1984, appears to have a happy ending, or happy-ending-of-sorts, though. The dictatorship is described in past tense in regular English (i.e. not something like Newspeak) by a professor describing things as a typical late 20th century/early 21st century professor would in a liberal university or something like it.

The book was written in the mid-1980s during the AIDS crises when some were going on about stuff—the end of the sexual revolution, God’s punishment against gays, later a conspiracy theory about an engineered virus to kill the marginalized.

Whatever.

Since Trump's been elected, the book has become popular again, the TV series, and there are protests including women in red.

To be fair to Margaret Atwood, I don't think she ever described it as prophecy, but said that her story borrowed things that have happened.

Fair enough.

So here are my questions about the book and story:

[size=+1]1. What caused this infertility?[/size]

and if it's not a plague, but the result of environmental degradation, wouldn't that affect animals? Wouldn't the trend to such degredation be reversed once it started to become manifest and/or technological fixes found?

[size=+1]2. Is the effect of infertility temporary or continuous?[/size]

If the former, will the infertile recover, or their children not get it? If so, would this undo at least some the basis for a Gilead? If permanent and continuous, is humanity doomed? Let’s say only 2% of women are fertile and they each have to produce as many as 30 babies per lifetime. That'd still be a population decline of (I think) over 70% per generation, or if people lived as long as 100, over 1.19% per annum.

[size=+1]3. Was anyone working on cures or even treatments in the story?[/size]

[size=+1]4. What is the nature of the infertility?[/size]

Bad eggs?

Why not implant fertilized donor eggs into otherwise healthy-but-sterile women?

Obstruction in the Fallopian tubes?

Similar treatment I guess.

Could hormonal therapy help?

[size=+1]5. Are these women that powerless?[/size]

Wow. What a bunch of wusses.

It's my understanding that as the Taliban never numbered over 100 000, and that the women of Afghanistan were likely over 10 million, the former were outnumbered by the latter +100:1; but the former could rule the latter as the latters' obedience training in the Muslim society started long before the former showed up.

But these are American women. Hear them roar. Not taking no guff from no male chauvinist pig. They who breathed the free air and won't give it up without a fight—perhaps destroy the new oppressors.

No?

Maybe that's Atwood's inadvertent message: you can push women around—even North American women.

[size=+1]6. Isn't America capitalist?[/size]

Doesn't big demand + small supply = big bucks?

What about explicit baby selling? It's already somewhat happening as women rent their wombs. Let's say a fertile woman charges $50 000 per live birth. She does that 20x and she’s a millionaire.

Too high? The fertile women are more plentiful than I'm thinking? Less of a basis for Gilead, I suppose.

If a fertile woman is not allowed free agency and to negotiate for a fair price, but is pressed into being a handmaid, who says she can't end it all? Abort the mission if you will. If a woman can commit suicide in prison, what makes those of Gilead think she can't even if chaperoned and sequestered?

Ask yourself; what is cheaper: keeping a fertile woman sequestered against her will, or paying her $50 000 for a baby for whom tests show you fathered?

Oh yeah, the movie. Wasn't Duvall’s character the infertile one? Why is he even bothering with this boring sex when he can fuck the "jezebels?"

Shooting blanks isn't going to replenish the population.

and why would he be permitted to continue to have sex with a handmaid if there are no children? Shouldn't he have to prove he's fertile if he wants a handmaid? Again, who wants this? It's another humiliation for the wife, even more for the handmaid who is being raped, and again, why fuck handmaids when he can fuck jezebels.

Must be particularly bad if the handmaids are biological determinists: giving birth to babies who fathers are rapists.

Oh, and are there no adoptions in Gilead?!?

Perhaps these women could have it good, even in Gilead.

Didn't Sarah kick Hagar (and Ishmael) out only after she had Isaac?

The handmaid could become even more a bitch queen than Hagar.

Maybe she'll get the wife to perform cunnilingus on her to enhance her chances of fertilization; and instead of the Old Testament reading, could they instead play some music? Secular music? Whatever the handmaid wants: after all, if she's happy, then likely her reproductive system is happy.

[size=+1]7. How Amer-centric is this story—maybe with references to Canada—maybe liberal Canada?[/size]

Ah, leftist Canadians—perhaps Atwood could be included in this: they complain about American ignorance of Canada yet most couldn't name, say, 10 states in Australia and Mexico.

Yeah, we Canadians are so liberal. This is why Stephen Harper was PM for about 10 years and a province with a third of Canadians recently elected a Trump-like Doug Ford. Canada: where paid surrogates are illegal, and if I understand correctly, freezing sperm is illegal in Sweden. Yeah, we sure would survive the infertility well.

Americans account for about 5% of the world's population but about a third of the world gross product. I wonder if this would lead to millions of fertile women from developing countries coming to America for a life of relative-at-least luxury—if yet somewhat hobbled by near continuous pregnancy.

Conversely if America treats its fertile women oppressively and terribly, wouldn't they emigrate to other countries? Europe, China, India, Canada, Australia, maybe a petro-state in Arabia? But wouldn't they have to wear a abayas, chadors, niqabs, or hijabs? No worse than the red-habit-like garments.

Back in ye olden days, women in harems, even attractive slave women, were reputedly kept slightly fat and well-cared for.

Speaking of others, how many black ladies were/are in the movie and shows? Any Latinas?

Those rich Gilead men might have to hire some translators.

I can see it now, the white de jure wife serving the black handmaid—maybe braid her hair or do her nails with loud rap music in the background.

[size=+1]8. and why were the infertile women forbidden to work again?[/size]

To stay home, raise babies, and …,? But aren't they infertile? Or maybe its to discourage such potentially freer women from seemingly having it better than the fertile?

Wouldn't mass firings of women wreck the economy? Aren't there millions of working women—i.e. outside the home—in Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Who's going to do the scut work?

All-male nurses, receptionists and secretaries, food handlers, cashiers, servers, office cleaners, flight attendants, fruit and vegetable pickers, retailers, elementary school teachers, tour guides: no women, just men.

No more female doctors, dentists, and other experts?

Back when Margaret Atwood’s mother and grandmother were young, a lot of that unpaid domestic labour contributed greatly to the economy. Now we have washing machines, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, cars, and microwaves: and even 100 years ago, probably a fair number of women worked out of home—and particularly during wartime.

Imagine an America/Gilead with 10s of millions—perhaps over 100 millions—of laid-off, now poor (or poorer), frustrated women, and perhaps +1% who’d rather die than continue to live under their new shitty existence.

Any transmen? Ever see the movie Yentl?

What could, say, +50 million American women, with +50 billion person-hours a year of thinking, planning, and attempting, do to wreck the Republic of Gilead?

I can imagine it now: millions—tens of millions—of infertile American women, joining some of their fertile sisters, fleeing into Canada and Mexico to go to countries where things might be better. They might be infertile, but many are skilled, even talented, speak English, and likely many are attractive.

[size=+1]9. enforced illiteracy of women?!? Yeah, that's going to happen and it will be great for the economy![/size]
rolleye0012.gif

This is not like African slaves: most who were probably already illiterate (as well as perhaps a lot of whites). Suppression of their reading and writing is easier when they can't read or write to begin with. People won't just forget to read and write; and even before 1860, how many 1000s of blacks could read?

Pictures? kinda like pictographs?

[size=+1]10. Security issues.[/size]

Want to hurt Gilead? Kill all handmaids. Kill any woman covered in red. Truck bomb any handmaid center. (Maybe give the suicidal ones black pills.)

(Kinda like one of my first thread when I first joined Literotica: It's the 1850s and you're witnessing a massive slave auction.)

[size=+1]11. Now how does this happen in the US again? These "Sons of Jacob" kill the US President and Congresspeople and nearly everybody just falls in line?[/size]

It sounds even less probable than Amerika (wp), which at least had outside influences. Gilead is even worse than Iran, where at least women are allowed to read, go to university, drive cars, Jews are not forced to convert, and Christians can drink sacramental wine. I doubt Islamic State at its greatest extent had 5% the territory the US has.

(source)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092316/mediaindex

MV5BM2IyZDJkZDEtOWRlYy00Mzc0LWFjM2ItMTAzNDE1ZWI0M2VkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_.jpg

This came out a few years after Handmaid's Tale.

Amerika - Trailer (TV Mini Series, 1987)
1:59

[size=+1]12. Lastly, how much of the US does Gilead occupy? How strong is the occupation? Is it continuous war? If so, Gilead will need women in the factories making munitions and other goods.[/size]

(click pic for video)

6:41

I'd bring up the issue of xeno-whatever implants and artificial wombs, but such might not be as speculative as Atwood's story.

Everything Wrong With The Handmaid's Tale "Offred"
6:42

White feminism and The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
22:57
(FWIW, I found it worth the time.)yen

Sounds like what every professional victim feminist thinks the USA is like.

(click pic for video)

9:35

The Handmaids Tale Plot Summary
7:22

The Handmaid’s Tale Summary
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/handmaid/summary/

For the most part, I haven't read the book The Handmaid's Tale (or "A Handmaid's Tail" here): a few pages of the epilogue, years ago maybe, but that's pretty much it.

I saw the movie with Duvall, Richardson, and Dunaway (quite a roll-reversal from Network :) for her).

I've yet to see the TV series as I regard the scenario to be so improbable as to be ridiculous and potentially boring (FWIW, I've yet to see Game of Thrones or most of the recent Star Trek movies as I'm kind of fed up with bad sci-fi in the latter case and lack of heroes in the former), but I saw a few scenes in YouTube.

I quickly checked the Wikipedia article a while ago.

Is it me, or is Wikipedia bad at describing stories?

From what I understand, in the story, the US becomes the "Republic of Gilead," which though isn’t a Christian theocracy, is something like it. There might have been conditions that left people infertile, save for a minority—I think a small minority—of women (and presumably some men). Those women are pressed into service as “handmaids” who bear children for rich couples in weird ritualized threesomes.

Gilead is a dictatorship and somewhat at war, albeit it mostly with the rest of the US. The book, like 1984, appears to have a happy ending, or happy-ending-of-sorts, though. The dictatorship is described in past tense in regular English (i.e. not something like Newspeak) by a professor describing things as a typical late 20th century/early 21st century professor would in a liberal university or something like it.

The book was written in the mid-1980s during the AIDS crises when some were going on about stuff—the end of the sexual revolution, God’s punishment against gays, later a conspiracy theory about an engineered virus to kill the marginalized.

Whatever.

Since Trump's been elected, the book has become popular again, the TV series, and there are protests including women in red.

To be fair to Margaret Atwood, I don't think she ever described it as prophecy, but said that her story borrowed things that have happened.

Fair enough.

So here are my questions about the book and story:

[size=+1]1. What caused this infertility?[/size]

and if it's not a plague, but the result of environmental degradation, wouldn't that affect animals? Wouldn't the trend to such degredation be reversed once it started to become manifest and/or technological fixes found?

[size=+1]2. Is the effect of infertility temporary or continuous?[/size]

If the former, will the infertile recover, or their children not get it? If so, would this undo at least some the basis for a Gilead? If permanent and continuous, is humanity doomed? Let’s say only 2% of women are fertile and they each have to produce as many as 30 babies per lifetime. That'd still be a population decline of (I think) over 70% per generation, or if people lived as long as 100, over 1.19% per annum.

[size=+1]3. Was anyone working on cures or even treatments in the story?[/size]

[size=+1]4. What is the nature of the infertility?[/size]

Bad eggs?

Why not implant fertilized donor eggs into otherwise healthy-but-sterile women?

Obstruction in the Fallopian tubes?

Similar treatment I guess.

Could hormonal therapy help?

[size=+1]5. Are these women that powerless?[/size]

Wow. What a bunch of wusses.

It's my understanding that as the Taliban never numbered over 100 000, and that the women of Afghanistan were likely over 10 million, the former were outnumbered by the latter +100:1; but the former could rule the latter as the latters' obedience training in the Muslim society started long before the former showed up.

But these are American women. Hear them roar. Not taking no guff from no male chauvinist pig. They who breathed the free air and won't give it up without a fight—perhaps destroy the new oppressors.

No?

Maybe that's Atwood's inadvertent message: you can push women around—even North American women.

[size=+1]6. Isn't America capitalist?[/size]

Doesn't big demand + small supply = big bucks?

What about explicit baby selling? It's already somewhat happening as women rent their wombs. Let's say a fertile woman charges $50 000 per live birth. She does that 20x and she’s a millionaire.

Too high? The fertile women are more plentiful than I'm thinking? Less of a basis for Gilead, I suppose.

If a fertile woman is not allowed free agency and to negotiate for a fair price, but is pressed into being a handmaid, who says she can't end it all? Abort the mission if you will. If a woman can commit suicide in prison, what makes those of Gilead think she can't even if chaperoned and sequestered?

Ask yourself; what is cheaper: keeping a fertile woman sequestered against her will, or paying her $50 000 for a baby for whom tests show you fathered?

Oh yeah, the movie. Wasn't Duvall’s character the infertile one? Why is he even bothering with this boring sex when he can fuck the "jezebels?"

Shooting blanks isn't going to replenish the population.

and why would he be permitted to continue to have sex with a handmaid if there are no children? Shouldn't he have to prove he's fertile if he wants a handmaid? Again, who wants this? It's another humiliation for the wife, even more for the handmaid who is being raped, and again, why fuck handmaids when he can fuck jezebels.

Must be particularly bad if the handmaids are biological determinists: giving birth to babies who fathers are rapists.

Oh, and are there no adoptions in Gilead?!?

Perhaps these women could have it good, even in Gilead.

Didn't Sarah kick Hagar (and Ishmael) out only after she had Isaac?

The handmaid could become even more a bitch queen than Hagar.

Maybe she'll get the wife to perform cunnilingus on her to enhance her chances of fertilization; and instead of the Old Testament reading, could they instead play some music? Secular music? Whatever the handmaid wants: after all, if she's happy, then likely her reproductive system is happy.

[size=+1]7. How Amer-centric is this story—maybe with references to Canada—maybe liberal Canada?[/size]

Ah, leftist Canadians—perhaps Atwood could be included in this: they complain about American ignorance of Canada yet most couldn't name, say, 10 states in Australia and Mexico.

Yeah, we Canadians are so liberal. This is why Stephen Harper was PM for about 10 years and a province with a third of Canadians recently elected a Trump-like Doug Ford. Canada: where paid surrogates are illegal, and if I understand correctly, freezing sperm is illegal in Sweden. Yeah, we sure would survive the infertility well.

Americans account for about 5% of the world's population but about a third of the world gross product. I wonder if this would lead to millions of fertile women from developing countries coming to America for a life of relative-at-least luxury—if yet somewhat hobbled by near continuous pregnancy.

Conversely if America treats its fertile women oppressively and terribly, wouldn't they emigrate to other countries? Europe, China, India, Canada, Australia, maybe a petro-state in Arabia? But wouldn't they have to wear a abayas, chadors, niqabs, or hijabs? No worse than the red-habit-like garments.

Back in ye olden days, women in harems, even attractive slave women, were reputedly kept slightly fat and well-cared for.

Speaking of others, how many black ladies were/are in the movie and shows? Any Latinas?

Those rich Gilead men might have to hire some translators.

I can see it now, the white de jure wife serving the black handmaid—maybe braid her hair or do her nails with loud rap music in the background.

[size=+1]8. and why were the infertile women forbidden to work again?[/size]

To stay home, raise babies, and …,? But aren't they infertile? Or maybe its to discourage such potentially freer women from seemingly having it better than the fertile?

Wouldn't mass firings of women wreck the economy? Aren't there millions of working women—i.e. outside the home—in Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Who's going to do the scut work?

All-male nurses, receptionists and secretaries, food handlers, cashiers, servers, office cleaners, flight attendants, fruit and vegetable pickers, retailers, elementary school teachers, tour guides: no women, just men.

No more female doctors, dentists, and other experts?

Back when Margaret Atwood’s mother and grandmother were young, a lot of that unpaid domestic labour contributed greatly to the economy. Now we have washing machines, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, cars, and microwaves: and even 100 years ago, probably a fair number of women worked out of home—and particularly during wartime.

Imagine an America/Gilead with 10s of millions—perhaps over 100 millions—of laid-off, now poor (or poorer), frustrated women, and perhaps +1% who’d rather die than continue to live under their new shitty existence.

Any transmen? Ever see the movie Yentl?

What could, say, +50 million American women, with +50 billion person-hours a year of thinking, planning, and attempting, do to wreck the Republic of Gilead?

I can imagine it now: millions—tens of millions—of infertile American women, joining some of their fertile sisters, fleeing into Canada and Mexico to go to countries where things might be better. They might be infertile, but many are skilled, even talented, speak English, and likely many are attractive.

[size=+1]9. enforced illiteracy of women?!? Yeah, that's going to happen and it will be great for the economy![/size]
rolleye0012.gif

This is not like African slaves: most who were probably already illiterate (as well as perhaps a lot of whites). Suppression of their reading and writing is easier when they can't read or write to begin with. People won't just forget to read and write; and even before 1860, how many 1000s of blacks could read?

Pictures? kinda like pictographs?

[size=+1]10. Security issues.[/size]

Want to hurt Gilead? Kill all handmaids. Kill any woman covered in red. Truck bomb any handmaid center. (Maybe give the suicidal ones black pills.)

(Kinda like one of my first thread when I first joined Literotica: It's the 1850s and you're witnessing a massive slave auction.)

[size=+1]11. Now how does this happen in the US again? These "Sons of Jacob" kill the US President and Congresspeople and nearly everybody just falls in line?[/size]

It sounds even less probable than Amerika (wp), which at least had outside influences. Gilead is even worse than Iran, where at least women are allowed to read, go to university, drive cars, Jews are not forced to convert, and Christians can drink sacramental wine. I doubt Islamic State at its greatest extent had 5% the territory the US has.

(source)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092316/mediaindex

MV5BM2IyZDJkZDEtOWRlYy00Mzc0LWFjM2ItMTAzNDE1ZWI0M2VkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_.jpg

This came out a few years after Handmaid's Tale.

Amerika - Trailer (TV Mini Series, 1987)
1:59

[size=+1]12. Lastly, how much of the US does Gilead occupy? How strong is the occupation? Is it continuous war? If so, Gilead will need women in the factories making munitions and other goods.[/size]

(click pic for video)

6:41

I'd bring up the issue of xeno-whatever implants and artificial wombs, but such might not be as speculative as Atwood's story.

Everything Wrong With The Handmaid's Tale "Offred"
6:42

White feminism and The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
22:57
(FWIW, I found it worth the time.)yen

Holy fucking shit I love Handmaid's Tale. I'll answer your questions. There are slight variations between the book and the show so I'll address them if they come up.

1: What caused the infertility?
-Environmental tetrogens caused by a mixture of pollution and war fought using radioactive weapons. Huge chunks of North America are uninhabitable because they're so polluted and radioactive. It didn't just cause infertility it caused major loss of life and a slew of other health problems. You see people throughout the book dealing with stuff like radiation poisoning and other conditions that were caused by these environmental factors. it also vastly hurt the American food supply, like it about killed the bread basket in California, so now food is rationed and when you go shopping instead of money you have to use ration tickets. The thing that caused the infertility actually fucked up a LOT of shit.

Prisoners of war and also just normal prisoners are actually sent to these wastelands because we, as a society are trying to clean them up and teriform them so that we can fix the famine. But nobody lives very long out there (predictably) so it's considered a death sentence. We never actually see these places in the books so there's this, "Is that a real thing or not?" thing, yeah, kind of like 1984, but in the show they show it. There are scenes that take place there and it's confirmed that it's not government propaganda, it's a real ass place where real people work themselves to death in poison and radiation trying to dig up the radioactive topsoil and teriform the place.

I will say that when I read the book I didn't imagine them looking this way, because the book made it VERY clear that nothing would grow there, not even the kind of gristle-grass we see in the show. But I don't think that's the show being wrong, I think I did just imagine it differently in my head.

2: The effect is hereditary. This is actually really cool because the way teterogens and genetics worked wasn't understood that well in the 80s, but Attwood, like a lot of writers, actually got it right, like predicted the future. I love when that happens. You see it a lot in scifi. The Handmaids were the people who were affected by the teterogens but NOT mutated into infertility. They were what the geneticists call "hearty" genetic-carriers. In the book it specifically says that Gilead expects to have a fertile female population in about 4 generations (because of how hearty genes work, not all the children of a given population will inherit the 'hearty' gene, so that is actually about right with real science, which is crazy. I just love when that shit happens.) The handmaids are also taught this in the rehabilitation centers, that they will be the mothers of the new world, and their children will inherit the earth.

3: Yes. Even prior to the revolution they were working on a cure, and experts in the field were highly prized. There was actually a big to-do about whether or not medical professionals should be excluded from the gender-role laws, but it was eventually decided that in order to maintain order they did need to be excluded. Many doctors are shown to be part of the resistance. Even the male doctors don't like Gilead's system because it's restrictive. They WANT to find a cure, they WANT their colleagues back, and they sometimes work with the handmaids to smuggle them out or impregnate them- a big part of their problem is that the government has tried to hide the fact that these teterogens also make males sterile, and they want to make that fact public. They're not legally allowed to work on male sterility. The government's official stance is that women are either "fruitful" or "barren" and the doctors are like, "You can have the most 'fruitful' woman in the world and it won't do shit if you're shooting blanks. You have to let us address the WHOLE problem." But because the cover-up is so important doctors have been executed for making that public.

4: This isn't really addressed in the story, but because of the theocracy I would speculate that you wouldn't be allowed to do any of those things. Doctors aren't allowed to do a whole lot, as I pointed out in the answer to question #2. But I do know that hormones don't cure mutations or radiation sickness so it likely wouldn't work anyway.

5: There is a resistance, that's the point. One of my favorite lines is, "If they didn't want us to be an army, they shouldn't have given us a uniform". There are actually a lot of slavery parallels. There are handmaiden uprisings, an underground railroad, all that jazz. They absolutely are not just sitting there taking it. People are murdering. People are running. People are blowing shit up. This is not going to last forever.

6: All this comes up in the book and it's major plot points, and comes up even more in the show, so it would be spoilery to say, but the short answer to all these questions is "yes".

For the last part you have to understand how the handmaid system works. A handmaid only stays with the Commander until the baby is weaned. Then she moves on to a different Commander to have another baby, and so on and so forth. Between Commanders they stay at special centers for handmaids run by "Aunties". The name of the Handmaid changes based on her current assignment, so Offred is only Offred as long as she's with Fred. When she moves to another assignment her name changes to Ofdave of whatever. It's not that the handmaid is a permanent concubine. They're just there to have the baby.

7: The book is more America-centric than the show. The show actually shows the full world repressions of the things in the book. For example, the attacks on the states actually hurt other nations so there are other people who are suffering from these same problems. You can't really attack the American growing states, which are the southern states, in that kind of bio-attack or that kind of pollution without also fucking over, for example, Mexico, but also a lot of Latin America. In the show we actually see people from those other countries come to Gilead to see how they're fixing the problem, because the handmaid system does seem to be working.

In particular there's a whole plot point about the ambassador from I think Mexico (but don't quote me on that) coming to Gilead in an attempt to buy or rent handmaids, or to at least learn how the system works so they can implement a similar system. They have a big banquet and show off all the kids who have been born under the Handmaid system.

Offred gets the ambassador alone after the banquet and tells her what really happens to handmaids. Because the Commanders are telling the other nations that "Handmaid" is a volunteer position.

There's so much misinformation that the government puts out that other nations aren't super sure what to do, but because Mexico is also considering a Handmaid system when you run you HAVE to run to Canada (or to the US, which I'll get to in a minute but you'd be running into a war zone). And Canada is treating them as refugees, but is not actively at war with Gilead. It's actually really complicated, like real-world politics, and it's written amazingly well.

8: Yeah, it did absolutely devastate the economy. It wrecked it. Gilead went from American capitalism to a theocracy where money isn't even a thing anymore. Instead you're assigned ration tokens that line up to the amount of importance/power the male head of household has. I already mentioned how lots of professionals object to this and are part of the rebellion because of it. You see it a lot with the medical profession because cutting out half the work force is actively killing people, but it happens in other professions too and it's a major plot point.

The system of escape that you're talking about actually has a name and everything in the book and the show. There is an active rebellion. I feel like a lot of these questions are more or less, "Is there an active rebellion". There is. "Don't let the bastards keep you down."

9: There is no economy. Capitalism is dead. And the illiteracy wouldn't have a whole lot to do with economics either way.

The forced illiteracy is enforced via a system similar to shaira law, where if a woman is caught reading the first time, they take a finger, the second time a hand, etc. But with the new generation they're going to just not teach them to read. If you're a man, you're required by law to keep any written material in your house in one room under lock and key, and if you don't do that, under the law you're also subject to those punishments.

10: Yeah, this is a major plot point. Like this isn't a question, it is just a statement of fact that is brought up time and time again in the book and the show. They drill it into their heads and because of it there are all these security measures that they have to take. They're escorted by armed guards any time they leave the house, can only leave in twos, normally aren't allowed out of the house except for special circumstances as a reward, etc.

The security force that "protects" the handmaids is called "The Guardians of Faith" and they're a fully trained army, but again, major plot point, some of them are in the resistance, some of them fall in love with the handmaids they're supposed to be protecting, etc. It's so well written, omg. Like it's so nuanced and true to life.

11: Everybody didn't fall into line and I'll actually knock 11 and 12 out at once. Because I'm proud of this. That bullshit hit the Appalachian mountains and had to dead stop because my people were not about it, and we were a fucking militia. You actually have to, as the Mexican Ambassador, fly into Gilead because your ass ain't gonna drive through what is now called the "Appalachian Highlands". Gilead is on the eastern coast, from Canada until it hits the bible belt. And there's a fucking war on. The Appalachian Highlands and Gilead are at active war because the Appalachian Highlands are still, to every country but Gilead, called "The United States of America". That's where the real government fled and they're gonna take it back. Gilead is gonna fall. It's only a matter of time. Those radioactive wastelands? That's also an active war zone as the US and Gilead fight to retain territories there. That's another reason you don't want to be sent there.

The map on the show is a little different from the map as described in the book, because the book specifically says the Gilead controls California, but the war might be further along in the show too, because by the time you see a map it's after the book has ended. The show keeps going after the book is over, and it actually shows California under Appalachian Highland control, but it's also shown during a war-room meeting so I'm pretty sure that what's happened is the Appalachian Highlands have taken California back by that point.

Here's the map as seen in the show (spoilers for season 2):
hqg1hi1pmi911.jpg

There's also another war on the northern front but I don't remember as much about it because it 1: Wasn't where the government fled to and 2: didn't have anything to do with me individually, but I think they're called the "Quaker States" or something?

Also, idk where you got that map but how'd you get a map that said, "Nuke Zone" and not connect the nuclear fallout to the infertility?

Additionally, spoiler: But the book ends with the twist that this was actually a historical lecture given by an American historian long, long after Gilead fell. He's a Gilead apologist trying to downplay the atrocities committed and make it seem as if it wasn't "that bad" just a blot on American history that he compares to the civil war. He's trying to act like Gilead never became a fully-fledged nation and only lasted for a couple decades before the US destroyed it and became whole again, trying to downplay all the horrible shit that happened.

So it's never even implicated that Gilead, as a nation, is going to last. If you read the book before you watch the show you know that they lose the war, their theocracy is disbanded and the US becomes a capitalist democracy again, that the "Gilead Wars" or "The Second American Civil War" is, at the time the book was written, considered just something else that people have to memorize as part of US history.

But that's a MAJOR spoiler, like it's the tail end of the book.

I realized I didn't answer the "did the teterogens affect animals" question. Yes, yes they did. That's actually part of the reason for the famine. It's brought up in the book that people don't really have pets anymore, like as a concept, the wildlife was affected to the point that hunting was no longer sustainable, and the livestock industry was more or less destroyed. A lot of people starved because of the way it affected both flora and fauna.

Literally watching it right now with my lady. It's awesome.

Oh and I forgot to talk about the race issue. In the book, Gilead is white. Full stop. During the revolution part of what they did involved hunting up everyone who wasn't white and sending them to concentration camps in the wastelands.

In the show they decided to be a little less racist and just focus on the sexism thing for whatever reason. I don't think it hurts it it's just a creative decision the team made. I do know that a lot of people do think it hurt the show, though, not just as an adaptation but because it's kind of fucked up to have all the slavery parallels for people who are part of a group who already went through this bullshit once, but honestly I'm not black so that whole conversation is none of my business. I'll let people who are smarter than me and have more experience in it figure that one out.

Literally watching it right now with my lady. It's awesome.

It's so fucking good. I think it might be my favorite drama right now.

After season 1 I thought it would be over, because that's when the book ended, and so I didn't know if I'd like season 2 or not, but it didn't lose me. I thought it might, but it didn't. I liked it.

It's so fucking good. I think it might be my favorite drama right now.

After season 1 I thought it would be over, because that's when the book ended, and so I didn't know if I'd like season 2 or not, but it didn't lose me. I thought it might, but it didn't. I liked it.

We're on episode 3 of 3rd season right now. It's all on the writers not to fuck up this season.

We're on episode 3 of 3rd season right now. It's all on the writers not to fuck up this season.

I've actually not watched season 3 yet because my Hulu keeps fucking up to the point that I gave up on it. I sign in, click on a show, and it signs me right back out again as part of the function of loading the new page.

According to Google no one but me in the whole fucking universe is having this problem so I said, "fuck it" like a month ago after like 2 hours of trying to fix it and not getting it to work.

Do you know how the fuck to fix that?

I've actually not watched season 3 yet because my Hulu keeps fucking up to the point that I gave up on it. I sign in, click on a show, and it signs me right back out again as part of the function of loading the new page.

According to Google no one but me in the whole fucking universe is having this problem so I said, "fuck it" like a month ago after like 2 hours of trying to fix it and not getting it to work.

Maybe delete and download the app again.
login
It may help

My dude, Iuckily I I beta test a lot of shit so I have Hulu for free. Sorry.

Maybe delete and download the app again.
login
It may help

I mean it's doing it on everything. We've tried three computers, four phones and two tablets. Usually I cast to the TV but it's signing me out of literally everything whenever it has to load a new page.

It might have magically fixed itself by now. I've actually not tried it in a month.

I read the book a thousand years ago. Vaguely remember watching the movie. Have never seen the show.
Book: meh. I get why it's liked, it's just not liked by me.
Movie: must have sucked cuz I know I watched it but don't remember it at all

Used to think 'oh those poor women treated like that' but now I'm sorta thinking they found a way to keep the bitches in their place.
Amazing what time and a dash of bitterness will do to a persons opinion of sci-fi.

You misspelled "reality" as "bitterness."

Holy fucking shit I love Handmaid's Tale. I'll answer your questions. There are slight variations between the book and the show so I'll address them if they come up.

1: What caused the infertility?
-Environmental tetrogens caused by a mixture of pollution and war fought using radioactive weapons.

I will say that when I read the book I didn't imagine them looking this way, because the book made it VERY clear that nothing would grow there, not even the kind of gristle-grass we see in the show. But I don't think that's the show being wrong, I think I did just imagine it differently in my head.
but how did all that radioactivity happen?

Guy walks around Chernobyl without protection:

Chernobyl - What It's Like Today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWnjcSo9J0
8:14

(for sources and bigger pics)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Chernobyl_Exclusion_Zone
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cernobyl_farmy_2019_02.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Remains_of_Chernobyl's_mainstreet_2018.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Černobyl,_10.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Прохід_Заборонено!_Небезпечна_зона.jpg

640px-Cernobyl_farmy_2019_02.jpg
640px-Černobyl,_10.jpg
640px-Remains_of_Chernobyl's_mainstreet_2018.jpg
640px-Černobyl,_10.jpg

640px-Прохід_Заборонено!_Небезпечна_зона.jpg

English: Pass is forbidden! Danger zone. Chernobyl (Ukraine)

2: The effect is hereditary. This is actually really cool because the way teterogens and genetics worked wasn't understood that well in the 80s, but Attwood, like a lot of writers, actually got it right, like predicted the future. I love when that happens. You see it a lot in scifi. The Handmaids were the people who were affected by the teterogens but NOT mutated into infertility. They were what the geneticists call "hearty" genetic-carriers. In the book it specifically says that Gilead expects to have a fertile female population in about 4 generations (because of how hearty genes work, not all the children of a given population will inherit the 'hearty' gene, so that is actually about right with real science, which is crazy. I just love when that shit happens.) The handmaids are also taught this in the rehabilitation centers, that they will be the mothers of the new world, and their children will inherit the earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teratology

Presumably natural selection will run its course: that and/or medical advancements.

3: Yes. Even prior to the revolution they were working on a cure, and experts in the field were highly prized.
You have to let us address the WHOLE problem." But because the cover-up is so important doctors have been executed for making that public.
and yet this terribly maladaptive behaviour, Gilead has somehow become a model for the world for restoring population.

4: This isn't really addressed in the story, but because of the theocracy I would speculate that you wouldn't be allowed to do any of those things. Doctors aren't allowed to do a whole lot, as I pointed out in the answer to question #2. But I do know that hormones don't cure mutations or radiation sickness so it likely wouldn't work anyway.
They might work for women whose eggs are fried, but their uteruses are functional enough to carry implaneted embryos.

5: There is a resistance, that's the point. One of my favorite lines is, "If they didn't want us to be an army, they shouldn't have given us a uniform". There are actually a lot of slavery parallels. There are handmaiden uprisings, an underground railroad, all that jazz. They absolutely are not just sitting there taking it. People are murdering. People are running. People are blowing shit up. This is not going to last forever.
I'm not sure about the slavery parallel. Abducted Africans either knew little about the Americas, or the ways or languages of whites; or they were indoctrinated on racial inferiority from birth.

These women are as intelligent and educated as men and had freedom. How did they lose it so easily?

Again, it sounds like stupid writing on Atwood's part.

6: All this comes up in the book and it's major plot points, and comes up even more in the show, so it would be spoilery to say, but the short answer to all these questions is "yes".

For the last part you have to understand how the handmaid system works. A handmaid only stays with the Commander until the baby is weaned. Then she moves on to a different Commander to have another baby, and so on and so forth. Between Commanders they stay at special centers for handmaids run by "Aunties". The name of the Handmaid changes based on her current assignment, so Offred is only Offred as long as she's with Fred. When she moves to another assignment her name changes to Ofdave of whatever. It's not that the handmaid is a permanent concubine. They're just there to have the baby.
Though, presumably, if her first 3 Commanders are infertile, she's sent to the colonies.

Stupid.

7: The book is more America-centric than the show. The show actually shows the full world repressions of the things in the book. For example, the attacks on the states actually hurt other nations so there are other people who are suffering from these same problems. You can't really attack the American growing states, which are the southern states, in that kind of bio-attack or that kind of pollution without also fucking over, for example, Mexico, but also a lot of Latin America. In the show we actually see people from those other countries come to Gilead to see how they're fixing the problem, because the handmaid system does seem to be working.

In particular there's a whole plot point about the ambassador from I think Mexico (but don't quote me on that) coming to Gilead in an attempt to buy or rent handmaids, or to at least learn how the system works so they can implement a similar system. They have a big banquet and show off all the kids who have been born under the Handmaid system.

Offred gets the ambassador alone after the banquet and tells her what really happens to handmaids. Because the Commanders are telling the other nations that "Handmaid" is a volunteer position.

There's so much misinformation that the government puts out that other nations aren't super sure what to do, but because Mexico is also considering a Handmaid system when you run you HAVE to run to Canada (or to the US, which I'll get to in a minute but you'd be running into a war zone). And Canada is treating them as refugees, but is not actively at war with Gilead. It's actually really complicated, like real-world politics, and it's written amazingly well.
One would think other countries are smarter than that.

As for Ambassador Castillo, I find that a Mexican city—maybe the size of Boston—not having a birth in 6 years hard to believe.
https://youtu.be/T_39kgBUXvs?t=199

Btw, in the "meekness-and0-weakness" clip she sounds a bit like Ricardo Mantalban. :D
https://youtu.be/vBqzZ8JmgIc?t=402
(cued)

Ricardo Montalban - 1975 Chrysler Cordoba Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsg97bxuJnc
0:58
(The YouTube comments can get funny.)

And Canada is treating them as refugees, but is not actively at war with Gilead.

Presumably Canada would see Gilead as an existential threat. Note that Canada formed in 1867: 3 years after the US Civil War—perhaps a sort of "if this is what the Yanks [or in this case, Gileadans] do to each other, imagine what they'd do to us if we let them—time to get our act together."

The way I see it, most of US Forces would be in Canada—including nuclear.

8: Yeah, it did absolutely devastate the economy. It wrecked it. Gilead went from American capitalism to a theocracy where money isn't even a thing anymore.
Hard currencies tend to remain hard wherever they are; and where there is money, there is probably capitalism.

9:
The forced illiteracy is enforced via a system similar to shaira law, where if a woman is caught reading the first time, they take a finger, the second time a hand, etc. But with the new generation they're going to just not teach them to read. If you're a man, you're required by law to keep any written material in your house in one room under lock and key, and if you don't do that, under the law you're also subject to those punishments.
thus hurting Gilead's economic base even more, leading other countries—perhaps including Canada, Mexico, and rump US to push it around more.

Keep in mind, I'm not sure sharia law bans female literacy.

10: Yeah, this is a major plot point. Like this isn't a question, it is just a statement of fact that is brought up time and time again in the book and the show. They drill it into their heads and because of it there are all these security measures that they have to take. They're escorted by armed guards any time they leave the house, can only leave in twos, normally aren't allowed out of the house except for special circumstances as a reward, etc.

The security force that "protects" the handmaids is called "The Guardians of Faith" and they're a fully trained army, but again, major plot point, some of them are in the resistance, some of them fall in love with the handmaids they're supposed to be protecting, etc. It's so well written, omg. Like it's so nuanced and true to life.
I suppose having men who are forbidden to have sex with women in the company of handmaids might lead to these issues.

Again, stupid.

11: Everybody didn't fall into line and I'll actually knock 11 and 12 out at once. Because I'm proud of this. That bullshit hit the Appalachian mountains and had to dead stop because my people were not about it, and we were a fucking militia. You actually have to, as the Mexican Ambassador, fly into Gilead because your ass ain't gonna drive through what is now called the "Appalachian Highlands". Gilead is on the eastern coast, from Canada until it hits the bible belt. And there's a fucking war on. The Appalachian Highlands and Gilead are at active war because the Appalachian Highlands are still, to every country but Gilead, called "The United States of America". That's where the real government fled and they're gonna take it back. Gilead is gonna fall. It's only a matter of time. Those radioactive wastelands? That's also an active war zone as the US and Gilead fight to retain territories there. That's another reason you don't want to be sent there.
Okay. :D

The map on the show is a little different from the map as described in the book, because the book specifically says the Gilead controls California, but the war might be further along in the show too, because by the time you see a map it's after the book has ended. The show keeps going after the book is over, and it actually shows California under Appalachian Highland control, but it's also shown during a war-room meeting so I'm pretty sure that what's happened is the Appalachian Highlands have taken California back by that point.

Here's the map as seen in the show (spoilers for season 2):

Less stretchy: :D

tumblr_ptl6dinv5n1xj1y6uo2_1280.png

tumblr_ptl6dinv5n1xj1y6uo1_1280.jpg

Also, idk where you got that map but how'd you get a map that said, "Nuke Zone" and not connect the nuclear fallout to the infertility?
The radiation decays very quickly.

For example,
Iodine-131
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131
has a half life of less than 9 days. Hence in 3 months, +99.9% of iodine-131 decays into Xenon, which https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_xenon#Xenon-131 seems to be almost as radiologically inert as it is chemically.

The land heals.

Additionally, spoiler: But the book ends with the twist that this was actually a historical lecture given by an American historian long, long after Gilead fell. He's a Gilead apologist trying to downplay the atrocities committed and make it seem as if it wasn't "that bad" just a blot on American history that he compares to the civil war. He's trying to act like Gilead never became a fully-fledged nation and only lasted for a couple decades before the US destroyed it and became whole again, trying to downplay all the horrible shit that happened.

So it's never even implicated that Gilead, as a nation, is going to last. If you read the book before you watch the show you know that they lose the war, their theocracy is disbanded and the US becomes a capitalist democracy again, that the "Gilead Wars" or "The Second American Civil War" is, at the time the book was written, considered just something else that people have to memorize as part of US history.

But that's a MAJOR spoiler, like it's the tail end of the book.
First, spoliers don't ruin stories for me: I'm far more ticked when the thing that could be a spoiler is a dumb explanation. I can get quite ticked at that.

I read a page or so of that years ago—I might have been sleepy at the time, but if I understand correctly, Gilead lasted for decades—as it seems to be with atwood's recent book.

The CSA lasted 4 years, and they were perhaps less oppressive and had a better basis for seccession than Gilead. Gilead shouldn't have lasted that long. Not decades, probably not years, not months, maybe not a week.

I realized I didn't answer the "did the teterogens affect animals" question. Yes, yes they did. That's actually part of the reason for the famine. It's brought up in the book that people don't really have pets anymore, like as a concept, the wildlife was affected to the point that hunting was no longer sustainable, and the livestock industry was more or less destroyed. A lot of people starved because of the way it affected both flora and fauna.
Despite the 1000s of species.

Again, sounds dumb.

Oh and I forgot to talk about the race issue. In the book, Gilead is white. Full stop. During the revolution part of what they did involved hunting up everyone who wasn't white and sending them to concentration camps in the wastelands.

In the show they decided to be a little less racist and just focus on the sexism thing for whatever reason. I don't think it hurts it it's just a creative decision the team made. I do know that a lot of people do think it hurt the show, though, not just as an adaptation but because it's kind of fucked up to have all the slavery parallels for people who are part of a group who already went through this bullshit once, but honestly I'm not black so that whole conversation is none of my business. I'll let people who are smarter than me and have more experience in it figure that one out.
I think it's dumb on either count.

Even in, say, 1980, American blacks likely numbered over 25 million, produced +$100 billion (1980 dollars), had millions of guns, were literate with at least 100 000s of Phds, and knew their history.

They wouldn't give in without quite a fight.

Black Panther Party - Breakfast for Children Program
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hK9NXdEeEw
0:50

The children sing "Gun pick up the gun pick up the gun and put the pigs on the run" (sung to the tune of Land of a Thousand Dances).

Power to the People!
Free Angela!
Right On!

I asked pretty much the same question on Reddit and I came across the idea of: salted nukes.

But even that seems unlikely, and it'd make whoever used them—Gilead and/or US—the most hated country(ies) in the world.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScience...handmaids_tale_should_i_bother_reading_andor/

Who'd use more nukes? US or Gilead?

I'd say Gilead as it seems the revolutionaries are the more violent ones.

A few words about Dystopia's and love triangles: :D

84a472783afe3330764b23a6973000ef8065d5c5.jpg

DYSTOPIAS - Terrible Writing Advice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l1K6eT43DY
4:09

Trope Talk: Dystopias (with special guest Hello Future Me!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSwNWEDo8Iw
23:28

[size=+2]Anyway, CandiCame, thanks for your time. :)[/size]

It sounds a lot like what you would prefer the US to be like.

Based on???

OH the only thing you've got of course!!

Nothing but your knee jerk fee fees and a good dose of "If not intersectional feminist and socialist then must be misogynistic fascist!!" lefty logic to top it off......:)

Thanks for playing!!! Better luck next time.

Last edited:
It sounds a lot like what you would prefer the US to be like.

Women relegated to little more than "birthing vessels" is a common goal amongst White Nationalist Patriarchs and their Semi-white Nationalist auxilliary.

Women relegated to little more than "birthing vessels" is a common goal amongst White Nationalist Patriarchs and their Semi-white Nationalist auxilliary.

Rob has about as much to support that a pax....nothing.

He still hasn't figured out what a liberal is. :D

Let's see if I can kick this stetched thread into page 2.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/02/23/madeline-brewer-interested-in-batgirl-role/
https://glidemagazine.com/183911/the-handmaids-tale-review/

the-handmaid-s-tale-madeline-brewer-janine-1090393-1086161.jpeg
handmaids-tale-janine-e1493757674838.jpg

[size=+2]Praise be to the Eye and the Hand of the Prince in the Scarlet Robe.[/size]

https://genius.com/Domine-the-prince-in-the-scarlet-robe-lyrics

[size=+1]Domine - Prince in the scarlet robe Live 2015 full HD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sgQrZSetfM

[Chorus]
He's sworm to destroy all Gods
By the power of the cosmic balance
He's chosen to save this world
Save the race who betrayed his own
A quest in a time unknown
To bring peace forevermore
Survivor with a noble role
The prince in the scarlet robe[/size]

(Click second and third pics to hear songs. They're somewhat unrelated to these topics, but they were among the songs I was listening to while on them.)

https://stormbringer.fandom.com/wiki/Corum_Jhaelen_Irsei

latest

The chieftain of the Denledhyssi Mabden who genocided his race, Glandyth-a-Krae, eventually captured and tortured the prince. During his torture, Corum's left hand was amputated and his right eye was put out. As a replacement, he was given the Hand of Kwll and the Eye of Rhynn by the sorcerer Shool. After that, he defeated Arioch and Xiombarg and banished them from the Fifteen Planes.

5:25

tumblr_pzq5j3EF4o1xj1y6uo2_400.jpg

tumblr_pzq5j3EF4o1xj1y6uo3_400.jpg

tumblr_pzq5j3EF4o1xj1y6uo4_400.png

https://66.media.tumblr.com/dd6adac81499612d99c2dd009cdb9ea5/tumblr_pq4h47AXkR1xj1y6uo1_500.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_OgLaWVH0
Iggy Pop - Wild America
6:07
Cued to flag: https://youtu.be/KI_OgLaWVH0?t=215

https://www.deviantart.com/artistmeli/art/Prince-Corum-430099407
https://www.deviantart.com/quest-for-tanelorn/gallery/25189240/Corum

d742itr-719fddb5-601d-4331-8497-67710ff07883.jpg

d2jz567-f352a81b-be3f-41f4-88a1-0bee4626b037.jpg

Back