Self-bondage advice

M

muddler35

My LDR and I are interested in exploring self-bondage. Neither of us has any experience with this. We’re doing our own research, but we’d love to hear from people with firsthand experience.
Safety is our #1 concern.
Thanks.

Maybe you could be a little bit less cryptic? Gender of the person that will be tied does matter 😂
As well the goals that the two of you are trying to achieve. What is the sub looking for in terms of emotional/physical results? What is the Dom's goal in this?

I used to do this semi-regularly for my ex.

First things first--be very fucking careful. Nothing around the neck that can tighten on its own. A collar is fine because once it's buckled, it's not going anywhere, but no rope or anything like that.

I'm not good at tying knots, so I'm a big fan of buckling leather (or nylon or latex or whatever) cuffs, both for wrists and ankles. You can snap them together with a carabiner, and boom, bondage. Carabiners are also good for attaching ropes. If you tie a knot, you might get into a position where you have to cut yourself loose. If you use carabiners at the end of a rope to attach to rings on cuffs, then it's easy to just pop it open to get out. They're also cheap and come in pretty colors.

No suspension by yourself, please. That's a good way to get badly hurt.

Always leave yourself a quick escape route. What if the house catches on fire while you're tied up? You don't wanna have to go through a lot to get loose.

That's all I can think of for just general stuff off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, or if I think of anything else, I'll come back and add more. :)

Thank you both very much for your responses. We appreciate it greatly.

We’ll discuss both @AnnieLit ’s and @BiBunny ’s input before responding. Annie for her psychosexual take and BiBunny for her logistical advice. We do everything as partners, so bear with us. We really do appreciate y’all’s perspectives.
Thanks again.

Maybe you could be a little bit less cryptic? Gender of the person that will be tied does matter 😂
As well the goals that the two of you are trying to achieve. What is the sub looking for in terms of emotional/physical results? What is the Dom's goal in this?
Right up front, our relationship is not strictly d/s. I didn’t mean to be cryptic. She is the one to be restrained if we try this.
I have always been a bit of a dom, even before I knew what the term meant. I guess by some people’s standards, I would be considered dom lite. I love orgasm control, spanking, punishment/reward, light bondage. Never real pain, humiliation, or forced anything. She doesn’t call me Sir, Master, or Daddy. I do call her Pet or Babygirl at play time.
She has a submissive side that she has never felt safe exploring. The wannabe doms she has encountered thought it was all about using her for their own gratification. No regard for her and no after care. That is abuse in my book. She is my Little because she chooses to be and she knows that taking care of her is my highest responsibility. The self-bondage idea came about because we are so far away. She wants to present herself to me in a way that completely shows vulnerability and trust.
I hope that answers your concerns. We appreciate your response.
I used to do this semi-regularly for my ex.

First things first--be very fucking careful. Nothing around the neck that can tighten on its own. A collar is fine because once it's buckled, it's not going anywhere, but no rope or anything like that.

I'm not good at tying knots, so I'm a big fan of buckling leather (or nylon or latex or whatever) cuffs, both for wrists and ankles. You can snap them together with a carabiner, and boom, bondage. Carabiners are also good for attaching ropes. If you tie a knot, you might get into a position where you have to cut yourself loose. If you use carabiners at the end of a rope to attach to rings on cuffs, then it's easy to just pop it open to get out. They're also cheap and come in pretty colors.

No suspension by yourself, please. That's a good way to get badly hurt.

Always leave yourself a quick escape route. What if the house catches on fire while you're tied up? You don't wanna have to go through a lot to get loose.

That's all I can think of for just general stuff off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions, or if I think of anything else, I'll come back and add more. :)
Such great and well thought out advice. Thank you! Safety is our main concern, and you had some great tips. Choking/breath play are hard limits for both of us, so no worries there. The carabiner idea is perfect. We will definitely try that. One thing that caught my eye is you said you did it “for” him. We talked about that, and she assured me that she isn’t interested in this for me, it’s something we will share together. Would it be okay for her to pm you with any questions or concerns?

Sorry for the Homeresque post, and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I see. I asked about the goals because there are many types of self-bondage:
- some are more visual, i.e. the final result is intended to look good, both in the mirror and on camera.
- some are more sensual, i.e. the result is more felt, than seen. A knot placed over her clit will not be visible if you cam, but she sure will feel it.
- and some are more mental and intended for long wear, either overnight (if she is single) or under the clothing. You can ask her to do one of these in the morning and send you a picture, and then she goes about her day and only the two of you know about this little secret. This can be something as simple as the same rope that was used before for play, but now it is wrapped as a loose belt around her waist. Or it can be a more involved project, say, a full harness. Will not work with a thin T-shirt, but in the winter under a knit sweater nobody will see it.

Last edited:
"One thing that caught my eye is you said you did it “for” him. We talked about that, and she assured me that she isn’t interested in this for me, it’s something we will share together. "

Don't get hang up on words - ANYTHING that is done in LDRs is by default is done for BOTH sides. If I am doing a tie on my own and not telling anybody about it, I am doing it "for me". If I am doing the same tie on camera at his request, I am doing it "for him" because there is a performance element involved in it.

@AnnieLit Hi. Sorry for misunderstanding your original question. I guess the answer is, at this point, we are considering more the playful/teasing aspects than the aesthetics. You have definitely given us food for thought.
"One thing that caught my eye is you said you did it “for” him. We talked about that, and she assured me that she isn’t interested in this for me, it’s something we will share together. "

Don't get hang up on words - ANYTHING that is done in LDRs is by default is done for BOTH sides. If I am doing a tie on my own and not telling anybody about it, I am doing it "for me". If I am doing the same tie on camera at his request, I am doing it "for him" because there is a performance element involved in it.
Noted. I wasn’t at all judging anyone else’s relationship. I just wanted to make sure my Little One was looking forward to this as much as I am. She is. Thanks, as always, for sharing your time and knowledge.

There are many sites with basic safety information and you should probably start there. As was noted above, nothing goes around the neck, that can accidentally tighten itself. I would say, nothing goes all the way around the neck, period. I can run a rope behind my neck, sort of like a bathing suit tie, but I wouldn't ever do the full circle.

But the thing is, there are a few less obvious points that are not safe to apply rope to. Here is a video with good explanation of what areas to avoid, she should definitely watch it and you probably as well if you are going to do it mainly on camera.

https://shibaristudy.com/programs/safety-course

If you hate video instructions and prefer taxt ones, just search for those and chose a site from a rigger that runs classes - these people usually know what they are talking about.

Also, depending on where your partner lives and her home situation, it might be a good idea for her to attend either a class or a demonstration. At least before covid most large US cities had a sex store or two that was offering free demo presentations. And all large cities had some sort of rope classes for a fee. If it is possible at all, it would be helpful for her to go sit on one of those and get an idea of how it us actually done. Sure, YouTube has a lot of videos on the subject, but it's different when you can see it done live.

PS: all classes and demos are done on clothed models, so it's not like you will be sending her to a sex show :)

Thanks for the great ideas. She’s running errands right now, but we’re watching the video together later. She wanted me to say Thank You specifically from her as well. We’ll post more after the video.

We’re going to look into rope classes in her area. You are a great resource for information. We appreciate you.

Eh, I said I did it for him because he was super into bondage, and I was (and still am) not. Now that that relationship is over, I don't do it anymore because it doesn't really do anything for me. My Daddy isn't really that into bondage, either, so we don't really get into it that much.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Lots of people enjoy bondage for its own sake. Daddy and I are kind of the odd men out among the BDSM crowd in that regard.

Noted. Thank you. I think we’ll err on the side of caution at first.

Best advice:
!: Don't be stupid
2: Don't tie anything around your neck, ever.
3: Learn how to dial by voice, and have a phone in range. If you do that, then stuff your mouth with something you can't spit out, you're in violation of 1.

Do this, and you're propably fine.

Back