SEIU healthcare union suddenly finds 39 million N95 masks

Counselor706

Literotica Guru
The Service Employees International Union said it has located 39 million N95 masks and will be facilitating the sale of them to healthcare providers.

The union said it will be selling the masks to states, counties and hospitals for $5 apiece and claims it “has no financial interest in the transactions.”

Similar N95 masks are available on the Home Depot website for $23.97 for a box of 20, or about $1.20 apiece.
Source

They're selling N95 masks, which are the most effective and therefore typically cost from 10$ a piece upwards.

"Similar N95 masks are available on the Home Depot website for $23.97 for a box of 20, or about $1.20 apiece."

I highly doubt those are N95 masks.

They're selling N95 masks, which are the most effective and therefore typically cost from 10$ a piece upwards.

"Similar N95 masks are available on the Home Depot website for $23.97 for a box of 20, or about $1.20 apiece."

I highly doubt those are N95 masks.

They are 3M model 1860 masks.
They sell for about .90 a piece when you buy them by the case. (160 p/case)

Last edited:
Honestly. I highly doubt that SEIU is trying to make a profit out of people's misery.
It's breitbart, there must be a misrepresentation somewhere, their goal is to dismantle unions.

""The union launched an exhaustive search for masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) five days ago in response to pleas from frontline healthcare workers that they need more protection and feel unsafe on the job.

The union discovered a distributor who had the 39 million masks.
The masks are $5 each, and the union has no financial interest in the transactions. The masks are being distributed to unionized and non-unionized facilities alike."

https://www.seiu-uhw.org/press/union-locates-massive-supply-of-n95-masks/

I read it as "the distributor is charging 5$ per piece, not SEIU".

The SEIU is selling them at $5.00 a copy. If someone quoted me that much, I would laugh at them, and probably never do business with them again.
That is price gouging.

Someone is making a shitload of profit. If not the SEIU, then who?

I don’t know, but it should be investigated.
You don’t know either, but have chosen to protect the SEIU.
Foolish.

Honestly. I highly doubt that SEIU is trying to make a profit out of people's misery.
It's breitbart, there must be a misrepresentation somewhere, their goal is to dismantle unions.

""The union launched an exhaustive search for masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) five days ago in response to pleas from frontline healthcare workers that they need more protection and feel unsafe on the job.

The union discovered a distributor who had the 39 million masks.
The masks are $5 each, and the union has no financial interest in the transactions. The masks are being distributed to unionized and non-unionized facilities alike."

https://www.seiu-uhw.org/press/union-locates-massive-supply-of-n95-masks/

I read it as "the distributor is charging 5$ per piece, not SEIU".

After a threat of prosecution by Bill Barr on hoarders, they miraculously remembered their cache.:rolleyes::D

The SEIU is selling them at $5.00 a copy. If someone quoted me that much, I would laugh at them, and probably never do business with them again.
That is price gouging.

Someone is making a shitload of profit. If not the SEIU, then who?

I don’t know, but it should be investigated.
You don’t know either, but have chosen to protect the SEIU.
Foolish.

I interpreted it as "the distributor (not SEIU) is selling them at 5$ a piece."
Which is indeed a shitty thing for distributors to do, but SEIU is interested at the moment in providing hospitals with urgently needed masks.

But you're right, it should be investigated further.
It's not clear 100% from breitbart/ or SEIU's vague wording, Who's doing the price gauging.

Which is indeed a shitty thing for distributors to do, but SEIU is interested at the moment in providing hospitals with urgently needed masks.

It's not clear 100% from breitbart/ or SEIU's vague wording, Who's doing the price gauging.

Or playing the CYA game......??

Is it only the distributer, or is the SEIU getting some kick-back from the distributer??

Damn straight. It should be investigated.

also unlike surgical masks, n95 ones can be reused.

They are classified as ‘disposable’.
Thet are not designed or made to be reused. Many are right now, but that is out of necessity, due to the glut on the supply.

also unlike surgical masks, n95 ones can be reused.

And the 1860’s, are for healthcare workers and surgeons.
They are approved by NIOSH, and the FDA.
Unlike the 1810’s I use to buy cases of, which work as identically, but are only approved by NIOSH.

Interesting that they became all noble the day after the AG stated that if you're hoarding those items we're going to track you down and knock on your door.

Just a mere coincidence, right?

all i'm going to say on this is that if they were selling plywood for 5 times mark up after a hurricane they would be in jail.

SEIU-UHW spokesperson Steve Trossman told BuzzFeed News he had no idea why the supplier had such a large quantity of masks on hand. He declined to name the company, but it has warehouses in Pennsylvania and Georgia.

"There was nothing magical about it. We just rolled up our sleeves and tried anybody who we thought might have a supply," Trossman said. "It really was old fashioned elbow grease."

Overall the union represents 2 million members — including hospital, home care, and nursing home workers. It said it is focusing mainly on providing the supplies to hospitals, both unionized and nonunionized, in New York and California for now, but it hopes to expand its reach as it continues to search for suppliers.

The masks will cost states, counties, and hospitals that need them $5 apiece, with the union connecting hospital procurement officers directly with the suppliers — the union isn't making a profit from the supplies. They said the state of California, the Greater New York Hospital Association, and health care giant Kaiser Permanente, as well as Los Angeles and Santa Clara counties, were among the groups who are already buying masks through the suppliers the union found.

As union leaders said they were happy to find the much-needed supplies, they also called on the federal government to do more to coordinate supplies at a national level.

I'm just as guilty, because I sent the link to people that I know in the States.
But here's what confuses me:

On one hand kudos to HomeDepot for not trying to profit from this tragedy and keeping prices low.

But with all the World shortages and health professionals now re-using masks, how come they're still selling up to 10 packs of 20 per person?
Why didn't local governors or Trump issue an order for rationing & prioritising their distribution?

I'm just as guilty, because I sent the link to people that I know in the States.
But here's what confuses me:

On one hand kudos to HomeDepot for not trying to profit from this tragedy and keeping prices low.

But with all the World shortages and health professionals now re-using masks, how come they're still selling up to 10 packs of 20 per person?
Why didn't local governors or Trump issue an order for rationing & prioritising their distribution?

Trump isn't so stupid as to do so. And if any governor did I'd just move the inventory to another state.

And do you think, just maybe, that the health care people know about this and are buying them up? Maybe??? I know that my neighbor the sonographer knows about it. :rolleyes:

Back