Sandy Hook Families Just Proved Congress Lied to Pass One of the NRA’s Favorite Bills

DeluxAuto

AntiSocial Extrovert
NRA is going to feel this one.

In a stunning setback for the gun industry, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that the families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims could proceed toward trial with their lawsuit against Bushmaster, the manufacturer of the assault rifle used in the shooting. The gun lobby had long assumed that gun manufacturers and sellers had almost complete immunity from legal accountability. Their legal shield was the ill-named Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), signed into law in 2005 by President George W. Bush. At the time, the NRA called it a “landmark victory.”

The lie was that Congress needed to protect gun-makers from a series of predatory lawsuits, primarily brought by cities and urban counties, that sought to hold companies liable for the damages inflicted on their communities whenever guns are used in crime. Supporters of PLCAA asserted that these lawsuits were not supported by any recognized, valid legal principles, but rather asserted novel theories with no basis in existing law. Thus, as the Connecticut Supreme Court put it, during the congressional debates “many legislators either expressly stated or clearly implied that the only actions that would be barred by PLCAA would be ones in which a defendant bore absolutely no responsibility or blame for a plaintiff’s injuries and was, in essence, being held strictly liable for crimes committed with firearms that it had merely produced or distributed.”

That wasn't a lie. The people trying to take them out for something they have no responsibility for is proof.

The NRA was right, and it was doing it's job. :cool: hopefully that shit doesn't fly, it would be an insane precedent for manufacturers and producers to be responsible for what their consumers do with their products.

Last edited:
It is no doubt gratifying to see the Sandy Hook lawsuit survive PLCAA, based in large part on the words of the legislation’s supporters. Those statements have now come back to haunt the gun lobby and its congressional patrons. But, although the Sandy Hook families can now proceed with one of their claims against Bushmaster, they asserted other claims that were held barred by PLCAA. The statute remains a substantial barrier to otherwise valid legal claims by gun violence victims in courts across the nation.

A few days ago, I cut my hand while peeling potatoes. Maybe now I can sue the store where I bought the potatoes or the one where I bought the knife I was using. :rolleyes:

A few days ago, I cut my hand while peeling potatoes. Maybe now I can sue the store where I bought the potatoes or the one where I bought the knife I was using. :rolleyes:

Or the manufacturer of the knife or the farmer who grew the potato.

Potatoes and potato peelers aren't designed to kill things. Fuck, some of you are dumb as fuck.

Potatoes and potato peelers aren't designed to kill things. Fuck, some of you are dumb as fuck.

They aren't advertised as combat weapons, which is how I read the Sandy Hook people got at the company--advertising it as a combat weapon.

Assault weapons don't have to be in civilian hands forever. New Zealand is showing us how quickly that can be remedied. Maybe we're beginning to deal logically with that issue. Maybe "all or nothing" doesn't hold much weight anymore. The NRA has developed a hacking cough--think they got that in Moscow.

As a side note, Alex Jones has admitted, under oath, the Sandy Hook shootings were real.

His excuse? Psychosis.

"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I've now learned a lot of times things aren't staged," he said. "So I think as a pundit, someone giving an opinion, that, you know, my opinions have been wrong, but they were never wrong consciously to hurt people."​

No, Alex. Your opinions were never meant to hurt people. Nope. Never.

Funny how people's memories and perceptions change so drastically when confronted with jail time and huge monetary penalties.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/30/us/alex-jones-psychosis-sandy-hook/index.html

You seem to think that people give a shit about what Alex thinks or says. He's the Rachael Maddow of the far right. Those two ought to get together and compare conspiracies.

Assault rifles vs hand guns and other guns.

Getting rid of the assault rifle and assault-style rifles capable of being modified into automatic rifle? Wish in one hand, shit in the other ... as the saying goes.

It would be easier for the Media to tone their their hard-ons they have for Mass Shooting coverage than do that. It would be easier to monitor internet chatrooms where those who idolize punishing the world for being losers breed. (I think there is a few in here they may want to watch.)

The big guns are going nowhere in the US.

Realize it.

Deal with it.

Learn to live with it.

As if that's at all relevant.

Oil and autos are designed to kill?

How does that make a gun manufacturer responsible for how their products are misused?

You and your authoritarian lefty friends are going to loose this one in the end. :D

They aren't advertised as combat weapons, which is how I read the Sandy Hook people got at the company--advertising it as a combat weapon.

Except all weapons.....are combat weapons.

Assault weapons don't have to be in civilian hands forever. New Zealand is showing us how quickly that can be remedied.

KeithD's admiration for authoritarian governments is noted.

Unfortunately for you and other authoritarians like Luk the USA is a LIBERAL democracy with protected rights.

Yes, you just need enough states for an Article 5 convention or 2/3 in both chambers of congress.

Best of luck with that :D

Maybe we're beginning to deal logically with that issue. Maybe "all or nothing" doesn't hold much weight anymore. The NRA has developed a hacking cough--think they got that in Moscow.

LOL no you're not...because you don't know enough about the issue to even address it.

Assault rifles vs hand guns and other guns.

Getting rid of the assault rifle and assault-style rifles capable of being modified into automatic rifle? Wish in one hand, shit in the other ... as the saying goes.

It would be easier for the Media to tone their their hard-ons they have for Mass Shooting coverage than do that. It would be easier to monitor internet chatrooms where those who idolize punishing the world for being losers breed. (I think there is a few in here they may want to watch.)

The big guns are going nowhere in the US.

Realize it.

Deal with it.

Learn to live with it.

Bet you said that about gay marriage too. The amazing thing about our Constitution...it is a living document. Fact...as these kids grow up...their views will not be yours...and change will happen. Sucks huh? Deal with it. Learn to live with it. Lol

Assault weapons don't have to be in civilian hands forever. New Zealand is showing us how quickly that can be remedied. Maybe we're beginning to deal logically with that issue. Maybe "all or nothing" doesn't hold much weight anymore. The NRA has developed a hacking cough--think they got that in Moscow.

New Zealand is showing us how quickly it can take away the rights of people who had nothing at all to do with the crimes committed by another. That is not dealing logically with an issue.
Nor does it have anything to do with the NRA, or Moscow.

New Zealand is showing us how quickly it can take away the rights of people who had nothing at all to do with the crimes committed by another. That is not dealing logically with an issue.
Nor does it have anything to do with the NRA, or Moscow.

Sticking your head up your ass and doing nothing is not dealing logically with an issue. But hey....guess you like the smell.

Gotta love it. The ad (marketing) in question ties the product to masculinity. And as we ALL know, masculinity is toxic. :)

Wait, wasn't that his mother's gun? His mother wanted to be toxically masculine? No wonder his father left her.

Where was it Remington ran this ad? Teen? Teen Beat?

The reality just doesn't rise to the level of the hyperbole.

Back