Recommend suitable laptop for wriring

It may not be suitable for everyone’s pocketbook, but I picked-up a nice pre-owned MacBook Air a couple of years ago for this. Thin, light, and it comes with Apple Pages, which can export to .docx format for uploading*. It’s actually become my main writing computer since I bring it into the living room to browse, write and maybe watch a little TV.

* - I don’t use cloud services like Google Docs. You are subject to the provider’s terms of service, which can and do change, usually not in your favor. See Photobucket for an example of what can happen.
Absolutely this.

I'm not a OS X fanboy by any means, I generally prefer Windows, but Macbook hardware is great. I've done this several times. Buy used from a reseller that offers certifications and/or warranties, and avoid the "new" premium pricing, and enjoy years and years of computing.

My macbooks generally become obsolete (non-ugradeable software wise) before they physically break down. This is why I buy them - so that I don't need to replace a Dell, HP, Lenovo or the like every 2 or 3 years.

Honestly, it probably evens out in the end, price wise. But the PITA of replacing hardware is a cost too.

I have a Lenovo laptop with touch screen. It's more than I need for writing, but works wonderfully for it.

This is more passion for a Volvo than anyone outside Sweden has ever shown.
I have a great passion for Volvo's but for very different reasons. Five times in my life I have almost been killed by other drivers doing stupid stuff like passing on the shoulder in icy conditions and nearly forcing me under an 18 wheeler. All five, they were driving Volvos. Not sure what I did to piss off Sweden, but Wanda, please keep that thing away from me. :)

I live in hope that Gothenberg will notice my passion and fly me a small plane full of Biathlon champions
If only you'd said "biathletes", I could have said something really witty in reply. But no, you had to go with "biathlon champions", didn't you?

My "on the road" workhorse is an refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad E550 I picked up for a song and an ham sandwich. No touch screen, neither bells nor whistles, but it is a built like a brick, and if I break or lose it, it won't hurt much. I use Google Docs right now, so I don't keep much on the machine itself. I have Win10 on it so I can still use my old copy of Dragon on it as well.

Anything with a decent keyboard works wonders. I currently like the keyboard on my ASUS G14, but it's overkill if you don't have other workloads, i.e. programming, photo editing, and gaming. Back when I was a freelance programmer I had a cheap laptop that's keyboard started decent if a little mushy, but after a few years, several of the keys often took more than one press to register. One of my work laptops, that I never use for anything but writing code, is a Macbook Pro, but I despise the key travel and always use another keyboard for typing. Dells, Lenovos, and Asus all seem to have great keyboards and I have heard great things about HP Elitebooks and Dragonflys, but I haven't used them personally. A cheap laptop will work fine for writing, as long as it has a decent keyboard.

For keyboard, worth thinking about both ergonomics and sound. Took me weeks to get used to my new laptop because it was much more clacky than the old one.

Oh, you meant the star diagram thing.

Who doesn't love a good Hertzsprung-Russell?

(Anjali's personal focus is right down at the bottom of that diagram, but she loves all of it.)

I am using an old Gateway gaming computer that originally had Windows Vista installed. I got rid of that crap and installed Windows 10, added some memory and downloaded LibreOffice. I have Microsoft Office, but I find it annoying with too bloated.

Absolutely this.

I'm not a OS X fanboy by any means, I generally prefer Windows, but Macbook hardware is great. I've done this several times. Buy used from a reseller that offers certifications and/or warranties, and avoid the "new" premium pricing, and enjoy years and years of computing.

My macbooks generally become obsolete (non-ugradeable software wise) before they physically break down. This is why I buy them - so that I don't need to replace a Dell, HP, Lenovo or the like every 2 or 3 years.

Honestly, it probably evens out in the end, price wise. But the PITA of replacing hardware is a cost too.
This exactly matches my experience. Years ago my ex and I shared a Thinkpad. Great machine, and I loved the eraser-tip mouse until I got repetitive-use syndrome from it. When it finally wore out, we got another Thinkpad for her, and a MacBook for me. I fell in love, and used it for two years after ex had to replace her Thinkpad. I believe the term is ‘Windows rot’.

That pattern has continued over the years. My MacBooks have lasted five years on average, while most Windows machines, even Thinkpads, get iffy after around three years. I do pay more each time, but they’re amazing machines with high build quality and last forever.

I believe the term is ‘Windows rot’
Software wise, I avoid windows rot by wiping the drive and reinstalling to bare metal when windows starts getting ponderous or flaky. This extends the useful life of the hardware, but still nothing like Macbook range.

Tried using a conventional tablet but couldn't get on with
Any reason why? I, like allenwoody above, use an ipad, though mine is a mini with a case keyboard. Cramped, but really easy to travel with. If your complaint is primarily the keyboard, you can get a larger keyboard to go with it. For writing, any tablet is more than enough.

Software wise, I avoid windows rot by wiping the drive and reinstalling to bare metal when windows starts getting ponderous or flaky. This extends the useful life of the hardware, but still nothing like Macbook range.

🐧

Back