Recommend suitable laptop for wriring

I am using an old Gateway gaming computer that originally had Windows Vista installed. I got rid of that crap and installed Windows 10, added some memory and downloaded LibreOffice. I have Microsoft Office, but I find it annoying with too bloated.
This very reason is why my Dell is garbage. Not that I hate Win10, but it did give the poor thing an extra chromosome or two. It really needs downgraded back.

This exactly matches my experience. Years ago my ex and I shared a Thinkpad. Great machine, and I loved the eraser-tip mouse until I got repetitive-use syndrome from it. When it finally wore out, we got another Thinkpad for her, and a MacBook for me. I fell in love, and used it for two years after ex had to replace her Thinkpad. I believe the term is ‘Windows rot’.

That pattern has continued over the years. My MacBooks have lasted five years on average, while most Windows machines, even Thinkpads, get iffy after around three years. I do pay more each time, but they’re amazing machines with high build quality and last forever.
My IBM Z71t running XP had been fine since I got it in about 2010, it needs a screen now, though. And been needing a battery, but that battery's held it's ten minute lifespan for a long time. As far as software goes; it loads second gen Word slow, but that's it. Oh and the buttons are annoying, but that's three of the four of them.

This very reason is why my Dell is garbage. Not that I hate Win10, but it did give the poor thing an extra chromosome or two. It really needs downgraded back.
Oh with Win10 you HAVE to tweak the shit out of it and disable as much communication as possible to Microsoft. I only have 8 gigs of ram running it and since I cut off it's "phone home" abilities she runs much better.

Oh with Win10 you HAVE to tweak the shit out of it and disable as much communication as possible to Microsoft. I only have 8 gigs of ram running it and since I cut off it's "phone home" abilities she runs much better.
It doesn't have the ram. The fact it runs is impressive. The thing will take so long to transfer a song from my phone to a thumbdrive, sometimes, that it just can't do it. A single song. It freezes up a lot. My XP one actually runs faster.

It doesn't have the ram. The fact it runs is impressive. The thing will take so long to transfer a song from my phone to a thumbdrive, sometimes, that it just can't do it. A single song. It freezes up a lot. My XP one actually runs faster.
I haven't bought a new laptop since Windows 8 rolled out. My brother unloads old ones he gets and I rebuild them. Sometimes he gives me a really good one. My Gateway is heavy as fuck, but it works pretty good.

I like the HP laptop with the widest screen possible, I think mine is 38 inches or something.

Great for writing. Great for watching movies, too. Image quality is fantastic.

FYI: if you use Scrivener (which is my favorite writing tool) it's a native MacOS app. The Windows version is always behind and lacks features (there are technical reasons).

I use an m2 MacBook Air. Fastest laptop I’ve ever seen. I can do full Unity development on it too, not that I do much.

Microsoft office is on there, so, word is fine.

While I’m here - know why you should never fart in an Apple Store?

Becasue they don’t have windows.

Back