Recent reads:votes

and that significantly reduces the number of reads you get for your work. Assuming most authors on here want their work read, the little red H becomes significant.

I'm sure this is SOMEWHAT true, but it's less true than many think. I've published 58 stories in almost 7 years, and in my experience scores and red H's correlate much less with high continued views than many people seem to think they do. I've written and published 12 Exhibitionist and Voyeur Stories. All but 2 have red H's, but one of those two (current score 4.44) has by far the most views of any of them, and it continues to get over 100 views every day six and a half years after publication.

The site counts every single page load as a read. It's easy to check. Open one of your stories, and press F5 100 times. Your read count will go up by 100.
I think you are wrong, and your evidence doesn't prove what you're saying. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "page load." When you read a story, and you go from one page to another, it doesn't count each new page viewed as a separate new view. But if you are on a page, and you hit refresh, then I suppose it may count that as a new view. These are two different things. Every time you click on Story A to read it or re-read it again, regardless what page you are on, it will (I should say "may" because I'm not certain) count as a view. If you hit a story opened on a tab, and you refresh your browser, then it may record it as a new view. But from the Site's point of view what it is recording is each unique viewing of a story rather than viewing each page.

I'm not completely sure if we disagree or we're just using the words differently.

I'm sure this is SOMEWHAT true, but it's less true than many think. I've published 58 stories in almost 7 years, and in my experience scores and red H's correlate much less with high continued views than many people seem to think they do. I've written and published 12 Exhibitionist and Voyeur Stories. All but 2 have red H's, but one of those two (current score 4.44) has by far the most views of any of them, and it continues to get over 100 views every day six and a half years after publication.
From a sample size of one, it is difficult to refute the veracity of your claim ;)

I also have a story that scores beneath the red-H mark; it also has significant views and despite being 14 years' old still rakes more. I think it's the title: How to Screw a Lawyer. It's such a popular notion. Some are more click-baity than others, right?

From a sample size of one, it is difficult to refute the veracity of your claim ;)

I also have a story that scores beneath the red-H mark; it also has significant views and despite being 14 years' old still rakes more. I think it's the title: How to Screw a Lawyer. It's such a popular notion. Some are more click-baity than others, right?

Fair enough, but my methodology is no less sound than the methodology I see others use. Conclusions run free and fast around this place; careful data analysis, not so much.

All but 2 have red H's, but one of those two (current score 4.44) has by far the most views of any of them, and it continues to get over 100 views every day six and a half years after publication.
With the previously agreed fact that views do not equal reads, I can't see how you are drawing the conclusion you are.

Where my aged stories are concerned, I still track views per day, but also votes per day and changes in the number of readers who favorite them. Getting 100 views per day without any of the other metrics changing can't mean that much, can it?

My lowest rated story (from 2021) has more overall views than several of my other stories and received 148 new views last week, but had 4 new votes, 1 new favorite, and 2 new comments. Its score increased .02 as well. Nowhere near close to a red H.

I just don't think that views alone tells anyone much.

I think you are wrong, and your evidence doesn't prove what you're saying. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "page load." When you read a story, and you go from one page to another, it doesn't count each new page viewed as a separate new view. But if you are on a page, and you hit refresh, then I suppose it may count that as a new view. These are two different things. Every time you click on Story A to read it or re-read it again, regardless what page you are on, it will (I should say "may" because I'm not certain) count as a view. If you hit a story opened on a tab, and you refresh your browser, then it may record it as a new view. But from the Site's point of view what it is recording is each unique viewing of a story rather than viewing each page.

I'm not completely sure if we disagree or we're just using the words differently.
I've tested it on one of my stories. I refreshed the story 100 times and the views went up by 100. I'm not talking about going from page to page.

Every time the story is loaded in a browser, it counts as one view. The site is using page loads as an easy way to measure views.

The primary value of the H is on day-1, or however long it's visible as a new story somewhere.

After that, the value drops off dramatically. The way people select stories outside the new list often make it irrelevant. Everything on a toplist is going to have one. Somebody tag searching has a different priority out of the gate. People following up from something else of yours that they've read are there because they already like what you're writing. The bling still draws their eye, but they're starting from a different point in the journey.

H stories outperforming non-H stories should always take into account whether they're on the toplist. Those will outperform because of that, not simply because of the H.

My average across all my stories is 120:1 reads:votes.

My latest story racked up over 100 votes in the first 24 hours and is currently on a 17:1 ratio.

This is seven times more reads:votes than I've had on any story.

Hey, I'm not complaining :)

I realise there could be a confluence of various factors affecting this, but I'm not aware of anything obvious - most of my catalogue has been published this year so it's all relatively recent; I haven't recently tripled my follower numbers or added my Lit profile to my LinkedIn account - but those things would only affect reads anyway, not reads:votes.

This story is also in a category I have published in before, and it's still tracking many multiples vs other stories in that category that I've posted.

So... any ideas? Has anyone else seen dramatic increases in votes in recent days?
Could you post a link, it must be really good, I wanna read!

With the previously agreed fact that views do not equal reads, I can't see how you are drawing the conclusion you are.

Where my aged stories are concerned, I still track views per day, but also votes per day and changes in the number of readers who favorite them. Getting 100 views per day without any of the other metrics changing can't mean that much, can it?

My lowest rated story (from 2021) has more overall views than several of my other stories and received 148 new views last week, but had 4 new votes, 1 new favorite, and 2 new comments. Its score increased .02 as well. Nowhere near close to a red H.

I just don't think that views alone tells anyone much.
My experience is that in general, the older the story, the more views, votes, and comment's it's likely to get. I think that's because readers "discover" a writer and start reading everything he or she has written. The story rating doesn't seem to change much after the first week or so.

As you say, the number of views is pretty irrelevant.

I've tested it on one of my stories. I refreshed the story 100 times and the views went up by 100. I'm not talking about going from page to page.

Every time the story is loaded in a browser, it counts as one view. The site is using page loads as an easy way to measure views.
Agree. Every click into the first page is a View. Proving it by doing it one-hundred times though? Clicking in once, and seeing the View count notch up one, was proof enough for me!

Back