Rebuilding a Better Puerto Rico?

JackLuis

Literotica Guru
Rebuilding a Better Puerto Rico?

Now that the comm and electricity systems needs to be completely rebuilt in PR, shouldn't we make it a priority to rebuild in a systematic 21st Century way? Rather than 'patch up' the systems shouldn't they be redesigned to be more hurricane resistant or more efficient and solar powered, or whatever?

Google to use balloons to provide Puerto Rico cell service

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission said late on Friday it had approved Alphabet Inc’s application to provide emergency cellular service to Puerto Rico through balloons.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico has struggled to regain communications services. The FCC said on Friday that 83 percent of cell sites remain out of service, while wireless communications company are deploying temporary sites.

Alphabet, which announced its Project Loon in 2013 to use solar-powered, high-altitude balloons to provide internet service in remote regions, said in an FCC filing it was working to “support licensed mobile carriers’ restoration of limited communications capability” in Puerto Rico.

Earlier on Friday, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai announced he was forming a Hurricane Recovery Task Force with an emphasis on addressing challenges facing Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Obviously this would be a temporary fix, but;
Separately, Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rossello said in a Twitter posting late on Friday that he had a “great initial conversation with @elonmusk tonight. Teams are now talking; exploring opportunities. Next steps soon to follow.”

Musk, the chief executive of Tesla Inc, said on Friday the company would send more battery installers to Puerto Rico to help restore power after Hurricane Maria knocked out all power on the island over two weeks ago.

Musk said he was diverting resources from a semi-truck project to fix Model 3 bottlenecks and “increase battery production for Puerto Rico & other affected areas.”

In late September, Tesla said it was sending hundreds of batteries that can store power generated by solar panels to Puerto Rico to provide emergency help in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

If the good lord gives you chaos shouldn't you try to create something better than the makeshift patchwork you have to replace?

How about that for an infrastructure investment plan?

Maybe if Donald and Ivanka thought it was advantageous to move their foreign sweat shop operations to Puerto Rico, the U.S. government could start thinking of resurrecting the island.

The only thing that could be rebuilt in PR is the sector servicing the Tourist trade. My guess is the first thing anyone does, or where money is funneled toward, is used to rebuild the hotels, maintain the airport, transportation network, to service tourists.

I realize that PR is the US territory, but Haiti never got rebuilt. Maybe its an unstable government in Haiti, but the bottom line is usually where the money flows.

Congress runs DC, PR, and US territories. Great job, guys! Congress engineered PR's financial catastrophe. Congress is responsible to finance the rebuilding. Will a Gup-run Congress allocate cash to relieve an overseas colonial possession whose residents can't vote for them?

I see reports that many Puerto Ricans may evacuate permanently, move to the mainland, settling mainly in Florida. Ya think many PR refugees will vote for Gups, or will Florida's politics maybe lean a bit more leftward?

It took awhile, but I finally saw a Tweet saying Trump isn't doing enough for the fires in California!

Trump really sucks....he cannot do anything right!

When it becomes Trump's time to be sent off to a federal prison, the question arises whether there's one in Puerto Rico we could send him to.

Weeks after Maria, Puerto Rico is still ~90% without power and water, supplies aren't being passed around and we're worried about Hollywood being hypocritical?

Congress want to 'loan' Puerto Rico a few billion for recovery but isn't offering enough to do 10% of the cost of real recovery?

The LSM has forgotten about Puerto Rico after Las Vegas, Winestine, Hillary's new book and "Fucking Morongate"?

If Trump is doing a "terrific job" in Puerto Rico, where are the good news stories of FEMA's successes? Has the Comfort even arrived yet?

I watched the MSNBC talking heads today and none of them even mention Puerto Rico this evening?
WTF!?:eek:

If Trump is doing a "terrific job" in Puerto Rico, where are the good news stories of FEMA's successes? Has the Comfort even arrived yet?

Yes, it's arrived, and Rachel Maddow's show reported that, as of tonight, they've managed to fill 7 of their 400 beds (served by 800 medical personnel) with actual patients. Oh, and people are starting to die from drinking contaminated water--because that's all the water they've got.

Yes, it's arrived, and Rachel Maddow's show reported that, as of tonight, they've managed to fill 7 of their 400 beds (served by 800 medical personnel) with actual patients. Oh, and people are starting to die from drinking contaminated water--because that's all the water they've got.

I'll admit I didn't watch all of Rachel she gets so pedantic about Trumpanzy and trivia from yesterdays news that I switched off to watch O'Donnell.

I searched for PR news and got a few hits on stories from five days ago, no FEMA news or much beyond volunteers distributing emergency lights to one of the lesser cities that are being ignored in favor of San Juan. Oh and a few miles of roads have been opened.

Terrific Job Trumpy!

Oh,... Now This Shit!

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico: ‘We cannot keep military and first responders there forever!

President Donald Trump appeared to threaten to abandon the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico in a time of need in an early morning Twitter rant.

First, Trump cited commentary from Sinclair Broadcasting TV host Sharyl Attkisson, who said that Puerto Rico was entering a financial crisis “largely of their own making.”

Then Trump proceeded to slam the government of Puerto Rico for showing “a total lack of accountability,” while then saying that Congress needed to set a limit on how much it spends on helping Puerto Rico recover from a hurricane.

He then finished by saying that America simply “cannot keep FEMA, the military, and first responders… in P.R. forever!”

At the time of Trump’s tweets, FEMA is estimating that 36% of Puerto Ricans lack access to drinking water, while 90% of the island lacks electricity.

OMFG! It's only been ~two weeks since the PR was destroyed by Maria and Donald is whining because Sinclair launches a Neo-Con shit fit about how the debt 'problem' is the biggest problem!

Who missed their shift on watching the Donald?:eek:

I'll admit I didn't watch all of Rachel she gets so pedantic about Trumpanzy and trivia from yesterdays news that I switched off to watch O'Donnell.

I searched for PR news and got a few hits on stories from five days ago, no FEMA news or much beyond volunteers distributing emergency lights to one of the lesser cities that are being ignored in favor of San Juan. Oh and a few miles of roads have been opened.

Terrific Job Trumpy!

Did you catch that Rachel Maddow just won two Emmy's? ;)

I've only watched her program in the last month and a half. The absolutely ridiculous media performance of Trump, his minions, and most of the Republicans in Congress made me go check her program out.

Last edited:
OOPS: Rick Perry calls Puerto Rico a ‘country’ during Congressional hearing

In the wake of President Donald Trump’s response to the devastation in Puerto Rico that many have called “disastrous,” Energy Secretary Rick Perry slipped up and called the island territory a “country.”

As the Washington Post reports, Perry initially spoke correctly about the territory during a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on Thursday, only to then call it a “country.”

Responding to questions from Rep. Kathy Castor (D-FL) about the country’s ruined energy grid (which was the subject of derision in a tweet sent by the president), Perry uttered his now-viral “oops” moment.

“You have just pointed out the real challenge that this country faces in dealing with the territory and the citizens of Puerto Rico,” Perry said, responding to the Castor’s question. “That is a country that already had its challenges before this storm.”

Trump is not the only moron in his administration.

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico: ‘We cannot keep military and first responders there forever!

OMFG! It's only been ~two weeks since the PR was destroyed by Maria and Donald is whining because Sinclair launches a Neo-Con shit fit about how the debt 'problem' is the biggest problem!

Who missed their shift on watching the Donald?:eek:

That isn't the best part. When Texas got hit the con artist gleefully gloated:

TEXAS: We are with you today, we are with you tomorrow, and we will be with you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to restore, recover, and REBUILD!

Then, when Florida got whacked, a state which fairly regularly gets whacked by hurricanes, the con artist went on:

Just like TX, WE are w/you today, we are w/you tomorrow, & we will be w/you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to RESTORE, RECOVER, & REBUILD!

Yet PR gets hit once in how many decades and suddenly paper towels are the best they can hope for. :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/politics/trump-puerto-rico-texas-florida/index.html

Poorto Reekans ain't Murkans. Spix and nigras ain't Murkans. Libtards ain't Murkans. Non-gun-owners ain't Murkans. Wimmen ain't Murkans. Asian gooks, Indians (both kinds), Arabs - ain't none Murkans. Educated elites ain't Murkans -- unless they're gun- or gold-bugs and it helps to be a banker, Jewish or not. People who won't, don't, or can't vote for Tromp ain't Murkans. Californicators and NooYoorkers ain't Murkans. Chicago, neither.

That leaves about 5% (one-twentieth) of USAnians who is Murkans. Enslave the rest. After killing all the reporters, of course.

Last edited:
FEMA makes a big promise to Puerto Rico and undermines president: ‘Don’t listen to Trump’

President Donald Trump hinted that the U.S. will be pulling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) out of Puerto Rico, but the agency has a different plan for the hurricane-ravaged island and other affected territories.

In a tweet Thursday afternoon, FEMA spokeswoman Eileen Lainez wrote that the agency “will be w/Puerto Rico, USVI, every state, territory impacted by a disaster every day, supporting throughout their response & recovery.”

Her tweet came five hours after Trump took to Twitter to say the island’s financial crisis “looms largely of their own making” and is due to the poor state of its infrastructure and electrical system and its governor’s “total lack of … accountability.”

“We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!” Trump tweeted.

Who do you believe, the Tweeeter in Chief, the the person who knows her job? :rolleyes:

FEMA makes a big promise to Puerto Rico and undermines president: ‘Don’t listen to Trump’

Who do you believe, the Tweeeter in Chief, the the person who knows her job? :rolleyes:

I believe Trump, because it won't be long until Congress demonstrates that there is no way they are going to pony up for any kind of rapid rebuilding of Puerto Rico, and the situation will be reclassified, not as an 'emergency,' but as issues of Puerto Rico's chronic poverty, government debt, lack of infrastructure, cultural deficiencies and, very likely, local corruption, none of which FEMA has anything to do with.
Of course, it's possible that congress will get together and cede Puerto Rico as feudal dependency to Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and/or the Clinton Foundation, and they will want FEMA there as long as possible to funnel tax money into their glorious privatization schemes, but I can't see the D's and R's cooperating that much without bombing someone.

I believe Trump, because it won't be long until Congress demonstrates that there is no way they are going to pony up for any kind of rapid rebuilding of Puerto Rico, and the situation will be reclassified, not as an 'emergency,' but as issues of Puerto Rico's chronic poverty, government debt, lack of infrastructure, cultural deficiencies and, very likely, local corruption, none of which FEMA has anything to do with.
Of course, it's possible that congress will get together and cede Puerto Rico as feudal dependency to Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and/or the Clinton Foundation, and they will want FEMA there as long as possible to funnel tax money into their glorious privatization schemes, but I can't see the D's and R's cooperating that much without bombing someone.
President Trump promised to create jobs, repair infrastructure and Make America Great Again. He can start with Puerto Rico.

President Trump promised to create jobs, repair infrastructure and Make America Great Again. He can start with Puerto Rico.

I don’t think Puerto Rico will be rebuilt any time soon. Not because the current administration is incompetent but rather the fact that there is so much to rebuild and there aren’t many resources to facilitate the work. How many cell towers? There is no warehouse with a thousand replacements ready to go. High voltage electric lines? Same thing. This stuff isn’t just sitting there waiting to be erected. Just the electric grid, it’s going to take some private company to come in on their own dollar to rebuild and then own/run the system. And it won’t happen soon.
Many make fun of “preppers” but those few who actually were ready for a catastrophe like this are probably ok.
I read somewhere that 15% of the population of Puerto Rico had left in the last 10 years. No jobs of foreseeable future there. Many of the rest are not far behind.

What a disconnect. Puerto Rico is just looking for water to drink next week at this point. The administration response is absolutely criminal.

I don’t think Puerto Rico will be rebuilt any time soon. Not because the current administration is incompetent but rather the fact that there is so much to rebuild and there aren’t many resources to facilitate the work. How many cell towers? There is no warehouse with a thousand replacements ready to go. High voltage electric lines? Same thing. This stuff isn’t just sitting there waiting to be erected. Just the electric grid, it’s going to take some private company to come in on their own dollar to rebuild and then own/run the system. And it won’t happen soon.
Many make fun of “preppers” but those few who actually were ready for a catastrophe like this are probably ok.
I read somewhere that 15% of the population of Puerto Rico had left in the last 10 years. No jobs of foreseeable future there. Many of the rest are not far behind.
It can be done, the same way it was done in Iraq, with private contractors and military aid. Trump can get the best materials at the lowest prices. It's what he's actually good at. He can hire family and friends, then have the pleasure of firing them later.

If the cellphone companies want Puerto Rican customers, they'll find a way to get the towers back up. And when they do, they should also be obliged to replenish the treasury in some way, with a tax, tariff or at least a bond purchase. If such things aren't currently legal, then the governments should find ways to make them legal. That's what they're actually good at.

What a disconnect. Puerto Rico is just looking for water to drink next week at this point. The administration response is absolutely criminal.
It rained pretty well on Tuesday, at least in San Juan.

For all I know... Puerto Rico, a product of US colonization has gotten a raw deal and continues to under the great ORANGE HAIR. Anything less than full support, equal to response that was made for Catrina, Sandy and the California fires just shows how racist this administration this administration is. Puerto Rico should be treated like it is the Atlantic Hawaii!

He could start with Puerto Rico by Executive Order. Otherwise congress has to start with Puerto Rico.
If he did start by EO, his only realistic resources for doing so would be the military. This would mean vastly reducing the forward deployment and GWOT activities of the services and putting 'boots on the ground' in PR. The neocons of both parties would howl at this 'executive overreach.'
Do the Dems have a bill in congress yet for disaster relief in PR?

He could start with Puerto Rico by Executive Order. Otherwise congress has to start with Puerto Rico.
If he did start by EO, his only realistic resources for doing so would be the military. This would mean vastly reducing the forward deployment and GWOT activities of the services and putting 'boots on the ground' in PR. The neocons of both parties would howl at this 'executive overreach.'
Do the Dems have a bill in congress yet for disaster relief in PR?
Why yes, I believe they do. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/disaster_relief_and_insurance/6015

And I had no idea there weren't enough boots around. I know Trump has trouble filling jobs in Washington, but he seems to have swelled the ranks of the Border Patrol pretty swiftly. Maybe he should send all the military transgendered people to Puerto Rico?

Back