Reading Books For Pleasure

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
She was prolific and well thought of. When it came on sale I thought I'd give it a go. 200 pages in, I'm throwing in the towel. An acquired taste, I'm afraid.

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty
She was prolific and well thought of. When it came on sale I thought I'd give it a go. 200 pages in, I'm throwing in the towel. An acquired taste, I'm afraid.
I read Delta Wedding as a teen, probably hoping for more Gone with the Wind feeling.
I had to bully and force myself through it, because I had a thing about not giving up on books back then.

I’ve thought at times I should get back to her, but never have.

I had the same issue with Caldwell and God’s Little Acre, I could see that the writing was great and even enjoy the language but somehow the stories annoyed me, perhaps even made me angry.

Also I thought about reading projects. My project for 2024 is that I’ll read books in languages that I don’t usually read as much in. So basically languages other than Finnish, Swedish and English. Feels like a good project, not too strict.
I already forgot that I had come up with this project. But even without this project in mind, I’ve already read more in other languages than those three listed above than I read last year, so well done me, by accident. 😁

I went to Spain and bought books about the Basque language and people/culture and I’ve read them. I also read a book in Polish that was okay but not the greatest.

I’m currently reading book #3 in the Perveen Mistry series by Sujata Massey and I’m enjoying it thoroughly. I’ll probably finish it today.

I had the same issue with Caldwell and God’s Little Acre, I could see that the writing was great and even enjoy the language but somehow the stories annoyed me, perhaps even made me angry.
This is always interesting! Sometimes I have more patience and actually finish a book that annoys or angers me and sometimes I just drop it. But I find it interesting to think about what made me react the way I did. It’s not always easy to pinpoint. Sometimes it’s just a book read at the wrong time rather than the book or something about the story or writing itself.

This is always interesting! Sometimes I have more patience and actually finish a book that annoys or angers me and sometimes I just drop it. But I find it interesting to think about what made me react the way I did. It’s not always easy to pinpoint. Sometimes it’s just a book read at the wrong time rather than the book or something about the story or writing itself.
Yes and sometimes you just have to push through a hard part.
I’m currently reading The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
I started a couple of months ago and had a really hard time with the first part that is set during the Cultural Revolution. I decided to give it one more shot and powered through and now I really like it.

Read lately:

Travis Baldree's "Legends and Lattes". A barbarian abandons adventuring to pursue her life's ambition: opening a café in the big city. Nothing life-changing but a good comfort read.

T. Kingfisher's "What Moves The Dead" and "What Feasts At Night". Two novellas; the first one is a retelling of "The Fall of the House of Usher". Both fun horror tales that don't outwear their welcome, with fun characters. The protagonist is a "sworn soldier" from a small country where "soldier" is effectively its own gender, presumably based on some similar customs in Albania and elsewhere; that was an interesting angle to it.

The protagonist is a "sworn soldier" from a small country where "soldier" is effectively its own gender, presumably based on some similar customs in Albania and elsewhere; that was an interesting angle to it.
An Albanian girl I knew, told me about
”Albanian Virgins”.
It seems like a very helpful way around very strict rules for the women in that society.
Going to a nunnery, in comparison, would only make it possible to save yourself and usually wasn’t for the poor, but the Albanian Virgins could take the role of a man in the houshold and the world and provide for family.

An Albanian girl I knew, told me about
”Albanian Virgins”.
It seems like a very helpful way around very strict rules for the women in that society.
Going to a nunnery, in comparison, would only make it possible to save yourself and usually wasn’t for the poor, but the Albanian Virgins could take the role of a man in the houshold and the world and provide for family.
I saw a documentary about this and other considered-non-traditional-but-actually-very-traditional gender roles. Interesting stuff.

I read a book by one of my musical idols of my youth. The blurb said it’s “Twin Peaks meets Dollhouse” and yup, I very much agree with that description.

Rajamaa (borderland) by Terhi Kokkonen. It’s about a couple that gets into a car accident during their vacation in snowy Lapland and they end up spending a little extra time in a resort, on doctor’s orders. Not the best book I’ve read but I did enjoy it, a quick read.

Back