qwerty

It would be easy to design computers to allow either QWERTY or a more efficient and faster keyboard and let the user choose between them. Within a generation QWERTY would be in the trash heap of history but there are simply too many people who are not interested in improving things.
Dvorak layout and others have been around for decades. It's not worth the effort to change everything for a marginal increase in efficiency to change all keyboard layouts.

You'd need to have two sets of keyboard layouts committed to muscle memory during the switch.

And what do you actually gain? A five percent increase in typing speed? Who does that really benefit, when most people aren't typists who need to be able to type as fast as humanly possible.

đź–•đź–•đź–•đź–•đź–•

Oh sorry, I wasn't flipping anybody off, that's how I type now.

Dvorak layout and others have been around for decades. It's not worth the effort to change everything for a marginal increase in efficiency to change all keyboard layouts.

And what do you actually gain? A five percent increase in typing speed? Who does that really benefit, when most people aren't typists who need to be able to type as fast as humanly possible.
If you can type as fast as you can think or speak, there's no bonus to a faster keyboard. Dictation is probably still faster for many people, after a few hours practice with Dragon or whatever.

(The Imperial 20oz pint is 568 ml, not g - the fat and protein make its mass a little less than that of water. Insert tedious reference here to Americans being a bunch of lightweights who need smaller pints...)

Yeah, I was thinking of "typewriter", the answer I learned as a kid. But that record's been broken by the geniuses here

They taught us back in middle school on those original colorful iMacs (the ones that hipsters turn into fish tanks these days) and they'd put those cardboard covers our hands so we couldn't peek. Somehow, it stuck.

I took typing in high school on a manual typewriter - by far the most useful class of all four years. I can touch type, though I do glance at the keyboard occasionally. I can touch type code as well. I'm not blazingly fast, but enough that I've done as much as 12K words of mostly accurate prose in a day. I can just about keep up with my thinking.

I exclusively use clicky keyboards. They are faster and less tiring since you don't bottom out the keys. It's not much on any given keystroke, but hitting bottom on tens of thousands of strokes in a day actually does get tiring. The tactile and audible feedback increases accuracy and speed as well. Membrane keyboards slow me down a lot, and I can barely type at all on a Chicklet keyboard. I need the feedback to keep any rhythm going at all.

Anybody looking for a recommendation, my go to is the EagleTec blue. They're only 40 bucks and are every bit as good as the really expensive ones like Das. Maybe a bit less durable, but not anywhere near enough to make up for the difference in price.

EDIT: "hitting bottom on tens of thousands of strokes in a day actually does get tiring" feel free to take that line out of context however you like.

On a related note, does anyone here have any experience with one of those infrared projection keyboards?

Who does that really benefit, when most people aren't typists who need to be able to type as fast as humanly possible

If someone needed that, seems like they'd just get a stenotype like a court reporter. 300 wpm is no joke-- that's like Boomhauer fast. Typing with chords.

On a related note, does anyone here have any experience with one of those infrared projection keyboards?
No, but I'm not likely to try it. Slamming my fingertips into a hard desk 20 thousand times a day sounds like torture.

Back