Questions on the best format for utilizing daydream sequences in a scene.

EDIT: the way the daydream is narrated is as something like it's happening, with direct dialogue, actions and all. It's not a narration describing the general idea of what's happening in her head.
If you've established through context that it's a daydream, I see no reason why that wouldn't work. A phrase or two should be enough - I can't see why you'd need further signposts. And easy to segue out of - he stirred, shook his head to clear it, hearing the day to day sounds of the outside world drift in.

If you've established through context that it's a daydream, I see no reason why that wouldn't work. A phrase or two should be enough - I can't see why you'd need further signposts. And easy to segue out of - he stirred, shook his head to clear it, hearing the day to day sounds of the outside world drift in.
I'll hear that constructive criticism. I've been trying ween off the italics a little, just that it's so easy. I really do rely on it as a quick fix for the occasional word with spoken emphasis(instead of using fully capitalized word for it. and the occasional easy quick thought. Not that I do it consistently, I tend to rely on more narrative word use, but sometimes it's just easier to just say it direct with less word usage. There's also a part of the story in one of the later chapters(not the first four) where telepathic conversations happen and I definitely use italics for that since the words are technically a thought.

Before I tackle that monster i'm gonna wait to get feedback since I already posted for someone to review the first four chapters. I've got about 13 chapters fully written but I'm still trying to figure out if I want some of them edited more or rewritten completely before I get eyes on that.

Anyways, if I do decide to tackle and work out the italics for that problem part(which is on the fourth chapter), I now have ideas thanks to this thread. We'll see about the other parts

Last edited:
Back